Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - me... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
Closed Thread
Views: 442,018
# 21
kipper
Old 10-09-2008, 5:18 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjackie View Post
Think I understand you kipper (hopefully ) but I am in the same position as a previous poster whereby I cannot click through email links, mine don't work :confused: so am always grateful to the people who post email addys for comps.

What I put would only would be a last resort if things did go bad

From a live link you can determine where the traffic has come from, hence MSE getting complaints about links etc, we have also had site owners join to have a pop about posting comps from their sites or sometimes they come thank the OP's for promoting it as such.

The reason they don't have live links in the Gambling And Introductory Loopholes Board is for the same reason, if they see too much traffic coming from here, bookies can pull offers and change T&C's accordingly due to oversubscription.

MSE is only protecting its interests as said this forum asserts copyright to things posted on here and if someone gets a.rsey there could be trouble!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kipper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
kipper
Old 10-09-2008, 5:19 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokkies View Post
So I am ok if I just post the link for the competition of the web page and nuffin else:confused:

Some text is fine ( Just rearrange to your own words if you like) as we would need something to go with for a keyword search, if a URL one didn't work.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kipper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
wokkies
Old 10-09-2008, 5:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would have clicked on the thanks button kipper but the 28th is a long way away so I'm not thanking you much now till nearer the 28th:rolleyes:
to be updated:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wokkies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
bella165
Old 10-09-2008, 6:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

can this not be made a sticky as its on 2nd page and theres a couple of posters aint took notice or seen it thanks bella
Replies to posts are alway's welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bella165 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
ginjim
Old 10-09-2008, 6:29 PM

just do comps like me
The Following User Says Thank You to ginjim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
Flickering Ember
Old 10-09-2008, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokkies View Post
So I am ok if I just post the link for the competition of the web page and nuffin else:confused:
I am sure it's ok if you post a bit more info in your own words too.
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flickering Ember For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
bella165
Old 10-09-2008, 9:41 PM

b u m p
Replies to posts are alway's welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to bella165 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
catz747
Old 10-09-2008, 9:49 PM

I hope it wasn't mine, have limited the info so far
The Following User Says Thank You to catz747 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
hjb123
Old 10-09-2008, 9:53 PM

hmmm, me thinks I is a culprit, will alter my ways now
Weight Loss - 102lb
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hjb123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Amilucky?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb123 View Post
hmmm, me thinks I is a culprit, will alter my ways now
I think that I am also a culprit in all of this I only joined MSE a few weeks ago and noticed that quite a few people where copying and pasting nearly complete competition pages including graphics from various sites and thought that this was "acceptable" I now understand that it is not acceptable and I will adjust my post's accordingly,

please accept my sincere apologies for any problems caused
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amilucky? For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Mips
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM

I only just read this tonight and know not to do it in future.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mips For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Amilucky?
Old 11-09-2008, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamzie View Post
I imagine the companies actually want us to go through their site, so that would work. Wish we knew which ones had asked through.

(link to discussion thread)
This will only work for people using the Firefox browser however I am sure there will be similar programs for people using alternative browsers

If your using Firefox as your main browser there's an addon called Refcontrol that lets you control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.

it has the following settings
  • Normal - send the referrer as it would normally be sent without interference from RefControl.
  • Block - send no referrer to this site.
  • Forge - send the root of the site as the referrer
  • Custom - type in any string and RefControl will use that as the referrer.
the Forge setting looks like being the most useful for instance if you where to click on the current competition link on MSE http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o_hell...?c=peta2_enews it would send the referral link http://www.peta2.com/

if you clicked on the link without the forge setting it would send the following referral link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1150227

Beaware
that sometimes you will need to send the actual referral links as some competition forms will not work if the proper
referral link are not sent (I.E) some competitions require that you click on multiple pages to enter the competition and they need the actual referral links

hope that this is useful to someone

Last edited by Amilucky?; 11-09-2008 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Amilucky? For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
bunn
Old 11-09-2008, 9:34 PM

at the mo my hotmail just takes me to the home page so i have to type in the email addy anyways!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bunn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Zebra
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks Amilucky!
I'll give Refcontrol a try - certainly can't see it doing any harm
I've been worried that websites would see where traffic originated from - I'd been brought up on the Gambling Board and like Kipper said it's heresy there to put up direct links.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
sonniemell
Old 13-09-2008, 2:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

right ok, i got it, so ill just post the comp addy with a header
Wins,Hammerfest weekender tickets,Chris Rea Tickets,more Chris Rea Tickets,
The Following User Says Thank You to sonniemell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Wombat21
Old 15-09-2008, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just been having a read through. I think the main problem could be to do with posting graphics from the comp site. Some webmasters get fairly cranky about this. Because the picture is hosted on their site they can see who is using it from their web logs.
My personal view is that other than that, MSE forum is about discussing things and helping people. One of the things we discuss is what sites have competitions and what the answer might be. Other sites do this too. But I will be much more careful not to post pictures from the competition site (if I can find ones that aren't here already ).

Last edited by Wombat21; 15-09-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fixing smiley :o)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wombat21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
Ghirl
Old 15-09-2008, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmoneysaver View Post
I use Outlook Express which doesn't work with email 'links' on sites so need the email addy on here PLEASE xxx
I have the same issue so I right-click the link and click 'copy shortcut' then paste it somewhere and it shows the email address and what the subject should be. Hope I've explained that properly!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
michellew
Old 21-09-2008, 3:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Its probably a bandwidth problem - linking to a pic on a site uses a lot more which in turns costs the site more - unless they have their own servers.
Consider my wrist slapped too
Promise I'll be good from now on
Happy with any wins this year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michellew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
divadee
Old 14-02-2009, 8:52 PM

Default Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads - Updated 14/02

Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to 1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. Please use the closing date format E: 01/01 or E: MONTHLY This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to divadee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
divadee
Old 14-02-2009, 8:53 PM

Please remember to use the expiry code convention on all comps in this format E: 30/01 if for any reason you cant find a date (it can usually be found in the terms and condition) then please make an end date up(try using the end of the month)

Any weekly or monthly comps should be placed on the regular competitions board. Please use the expirry date convention E: MONTHLY or E: WEEKLY etc...

Please also remember to do a search first to make sure the competition is not already listed.

Last edited by divadee; 04-04-2011 at 3:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to divadee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread