Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - me... (Page 11)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
Closed Thread
Views: 440,674
# 201
toyday
Old 31-08-2010, 2:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Definitely a problem for companies but if they are obtaining your details in the process then that might be the most valuable thing so it would not matter how you joined the competition (either through this site or their official competition site)
# 202
Taloolah
Old 31-08-2010, 2:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Or maybe the companies want to increase website traffic by running the competition . So if all the details are posted on here entrants won't need to visit the site and so they wont get the increased traffic they are looking for. I often post comps with email address but put the link to the website for entrants to see all the info and T&Cs actually on the site.
Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taloolah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 203
Glad
Old 25-11-2010, 4:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Andrea View Post
Hi everyone

We've had some problems with companies complaining about people copying and pasting text including email addresses and answers wholesale into threads on this board.

As well as potentially breaching copyright, if you do it too often companies may be put off doing comps in the first place.

So we just wanted to remind you, if you're posting a competition, please just post the link to the competition, explaining in your own words what the prize is and let the website you've linked to do the talking.

By doing this you'll help us keep the comps board open and the poor forum team saved from potential company wrath

Thanks everyone

Andrea
the discussion relating to this post can be read HERE
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 204
HopefulB
Old 22-12-2010, 6:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to HopefulB
Default Prize scams

A friend of ours, who has had two brain operations, lost a load of money. He sent off several amounts in order to claim his "winnings". He wanted to surprise his wife by presenting her with thousands of pounds, but ended up hugely out of pocket.
The sad part is that he is still convinced that she has stopped him from claiming his win, by stopping him from sending any more cash.
# 205
pkc
Old 22-12-2010, 6:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

doesn't include new scientist does it LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pkc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 206
niknaknoo1982
Old 22-12-2010, 11:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc View Post
doesn't include new scientist does it LOL
haha that's what made me click on here
If google doesn't know it, how should i?
# 207
Glad
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 AM

Exclamation Regulars board - ANOTHER dailies sticky thread change

Hi all

the dailies sticky thread has been taken over by bargainhuntergal
can you please send links to new daily comps to her by pm or add them to the thread here
many thanks to gilla for all her hard work in the past
and good luck to bhg
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 208
Glad
Old 23-01-2011, 7:49 PM

purplecatlover has now taken over the dailies sticky
new thread HERE

many thanks to bhg for all her hard work

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 209
Former MSE Forum Manager
Old 16-08-2011, 3:53 PM
Official Forum Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Posting Comps for Companies

Hi Folks

It has come to our attention that some companies are attempting to sidestep our Forum Rules on vested interest posting by agreeing certain members post competitions on their behalf. Let's be clear, we absolutely will not tolerate this, and if we find out this is still happening we have the option of banning not only the company from our forum, but also the user account in question.

Please don't do it.
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Former MSE Forum Manager For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 210
MSE Andrea
Old 24-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Default Links in our filter

Hi everyone

Just a reminder, please, not to try posting links that are in our filter (and show as exclamation marks when posted).

More often than not the reason they're in there is because they've been spammed on the forum and you yourselves have reported them to us in the first place.

They may also be in there because the company in question is a legitimate one that hasn't spammed but has asked that we stop people posting their competitions on here but, whatever the reason, it's because the links shouldn't be posted.

Thank you!

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 211
fnc63
Old 31-08-2011, 2:30 PM

well could you share the filter list with us please ?

just so we know why we 'perhaps' shouldnt be attempting to go any futher in finding the comp via another route when we see a prize on here we want to win and yet it is all exclamationed out

if it is a company that doesnt want us posting then, thats fine and if we knew that we wouldnt try posting again

if its a company that as you say has been deemed spammy 'by us' reporting it, then more detail is necessary really, how many spam button hits does it take for a company to make it onto the exclamation list and when were they added ?, maybe if its so long ago they could be reviewed and cleared, maybe a group of 10 friends saw a comp on here to win a gold rolex in 2008 and thought ooh we dont want half a thousand other mser's mucking up our chances, i know lets all push the spam button and get it removed and then its gone forever and 4 years down the line that lil group has broke up and yet we still cant enjoy the comps that the promoter is running these days

you know the old saying - forewarned is forearmed - so pls at least just give us this information so we can decide for ourselves whether we want to pursue the comp any further

ps - there is one im really interested in - love offers - whats wrong with that eh ??

i cant believe they dont want their comps on here as they have no problem with the other dennis media ones being here and i cant believe we the user has classed it as spammy, well not for a long time, otherwise why would the love offer posts attract so many hundreds of thanks ?
2014 WTD ~ CH10CW55PC10BA120BC160

Apparently everything has a happy ending and if you havent arrived at the happiness, it hasnt ended yet

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fnc63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 212
MSE Andrea
Old 12-09-2011, 2:38 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Default A reminder about Vote for me Comps

Afternoon everyone

Thanks to all the people who've been pointing other forumites in the right direction for this.

Just a reminder and for anyone who doesn't know, if you really have to post a Vote for Me competition it shouldn't be anywhere except the specific thread on the Referrers Board here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=635355

Thanks again to the regulars for showing them the way and to Glad for moving them over.

Join the MSE Forum
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 213
Dalkirst
Old 12-09-2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Andrea View Post
Afternoon everyone

Thanks to all the people who've been pointing other forumites in the right direction for this.

Just a reminder and for anyone who doesn't know, if you really have to post a Vote for Me competition it shouldn't be anywhere except the specific thread on the Referrers Board here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=635355

Thanks again to the regulars for showing them the way and to Glad for moving them over.
I've moved loads over Andrea.
Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Dalkirst For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 214
MSE Andrea
Old 12-09-2011, 8:02 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Sorry Dalkirst, you all do a great job, I know you do.

Someone had asked me if it was possible to remind people because they'd been sending Glad a lot of these links lately and didn't want her to be overloaded, which is why I mentioned Glad but I know you all do loads and I should have said the board guides, not just Glad.

Join the MSE Forum
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 215
MSE Andrea
Old 12-12-2011, 2:28 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Could comps board regulars remind themselves of this note please?

If a company asks you to post on the Forum on its behalf can you be vigilant and remind them of this news story?

Thank you!

Join the MSE Forum
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 216
MSE Andrea
Old 13-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Default The great MSE comping community

Hi everyone

As you all know, the Comps board is a great place for you to link to competitions you've seen, to let others know and hopefully win big.

We love it when we hear of our own site users winning so we'd be really disappointed if this great MSE comping community was, in any way, stepping outside the rules and especially using AEs to do so.

Whatever people are doing on other sites is up to those sites to sort out. If you have concerns about cheating you need to raise it with the company in question, not on our forum.

We are purely a conduit for competitions. We don't have the resource to investigate accusations we're unable to control and don’t want to see accusation threads on here as it's disruptive for the board.

Please help us with this.

Thanks,

MSE Forum Team

Join the MSE Forum
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 217
messia07
Old 13-04-2012, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

what are AE's?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to messia07 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 218
One-Eye
Old 13-04-2012, 12:24 PM

From the acronym dictionary it means AMMUNITION and EXPLOSIVES.

I hope MSE'ers aren't using these to enter comps, but it is nothing to do with MSE if we use them on other sites
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 219
hannibal1970
Old 13-04-2012, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

auto entry ??
WINS 2014

SONY VAIO LAPTOP
MINI IPAD
GALAXY SAMSUNG CAMERA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hannibal1970 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 220
twotimes
Old 13-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messia07 View Post
what are AE's?

Alter-egos
I assume. i.e. entering in lots of different names and creating fake social networking profiles etc. Sadly it does actually happen.
Please do not steal competitions or answers posted on MSE and post them on your own website or other competition websites. Thank you
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to twotimes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread