Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 17th May 10 at 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm – and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesn’t make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then it’s worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

• All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    • All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    • There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    • Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 3
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 27th Jun 10, 7:40 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    So why, when EDF stop me in the street and I mention I'm a UW customer, do they back off, knowing full well they cannot compete?
    Originally posted by xbrenx
    Not only can EDF(and every other of the major Utility companies) 'compete' they are for the average customer hundreds of pounds a year cheaper!

I would think the more likely reason is that anyone who admits to being a UW gas and electricity customer will not be persuaded by any form of financial logic!

Or be one of the 30,000 salesmen/commission earners plying on the finacially gullible! - family, friends etc.

Amazing how many people professing not to be UW salesmen post time and again on MSE and all over the internet.
    • xbrenx
    • By xbrenx 27th Jun 10, 9:36 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    xbrenx
    So the fact that I've posted on the pets link means I want to sell everyone a cat?
    I think not.

• keggs

Just put them on ignore. They hate it.
    Originally posted by uptomyeyeballs
    I agree with upto.

I wondered how long t would take for the antis to start having a poke.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 28th Jun 10, 6:42 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    Any posts pointing out that UW have just about the highest gas and electricity prices in UK(costing the average user hundreds of pounds a year extra) are intended to warn any potential, or current, UW customers of the facts - and that there are many UW distributers posting misleading information.

What possible difference would it make if all the UW distributers, who post openly or conceal their interest by posing as customers, ignored every post that tells the truth about the stupidly high prices UW charge?

Anyone who wants accuracy about UW's high prices should simply enter their details in any of the comparison website - the links are shown above.
  • keggs
    Yawn, Yawn
  • byebyedebt
    Personally, I switched to to UW as per unit they were cheaper for gas and electric than my existing supplier, one of the big six, who incidently were the cheapest when I switched to them.

That said, having done the switching process many times over the years, at anyone time you could argue that Coy A is cheaper. In this case it worked for me. No doubt half my neighbours are probably on a better deal for gas / electric only, and some will be worse off. However I am not.

Yes I am a distributor, but that does not mean that I want to pay over the odds. The reason I am a customer is that overall I am better off.
    Last edited by byebyedebt; 02-07-2010 at 7:10 PM. Reason: Add content
    Amex Nectar 9.3K Sep 2008 now 0 (Joint Debt)
    Egg Card - 12K Sep 2008 now 0
    Virgin Card - 8.1K Sep 2008 now 0
    Cahoot Card - 7K Sep 2008 - About 1K
    Egg Loan 10K Sep 2008 now 0
    and so on and so on.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd Jul 10, 7:49 PM
    • 33,600 Posts
    • 17,478 Thanks
    Quentin
    That said, having done the switching process many times over the years, at anyone time you could argue that Coy A is cheaper. In this case it worked for me.
    Originally posted by byebyedebt
    Are you claiming that your company was "Coy A" for you? The cheapest?

You must have made a mistake! UW sell just about the most expensive gas and electricity. Post your region and consumption and someone who knows how to do an independent check on prices will be able to help you save some money on your energy.
  • byebyedebt
    In my case, when I switched it was cheaper then my previous supplier. Im not saying it was the cheapest of all suppliers, and I know it won't be, because of how the triple value guarentee works. I would probably have to switch every day to get the cheapest.

I am a UW Customer and a distributor.
    Last edited by byebyedebt; 02-07-2010 at 9:46 PM. Reason: To declare an interest after changing signature
    Amex Nectar 9.3K Sep 2008 now 0 (Joint Debt)
    Egg Card - 12K Sep 2008 now 0
    Virgin Card - 8.1K Sep 2008 now 0
    Cahoot Card - 7K Sep 2008 - About 1K
    Egg Loan 10K Sep 2008 now 0
    and so on and so on.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd Jul 10, 8:12 PM
    • 33,600 Posts
    • 17,478 Thanks
    Quentin
    Im not saying it was the cheapest of all suppliers, and I know it won't be, because of how the triple value guarentee works. I would probably have to switch every day to get the cheapest.
    Originally posted by byebyedebt
    The worthless guarantee has nothing to do with you getting the cheapest prices. It's a marketing gimmick and doesn't guarantee anything!

You are right, you would have to keep a close watch on the market to always get the cheapest energy, but UW energy prices are just about the most expensive - certainly nowhere near the cheapest.

As posted previously, either let someone here show you what you could save by switching, or have a look at any of the MSE recommended sites to see how much money you could save by switching.

================================================== ==========================

I am a xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Customer and also a Distributor .
    You break the site rules by advertising your company like this in every post you make on MSE.
  • sdavi3680
    The place I am moving into and renting already has UW as their phone and broadband provider. Who can I switch to from UW? I tried with O2 but failed because it's not a BT line.

• billsavings
    • By billsavings 7th Jul 10, 1:13 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    billsavings
    Their rated bottom out of seven suppliers by Which for the quality of their energy bills.

The improvements that Which? suggests Utility Warehouse considers include: explaining to its customers that it only offers one tariff, using an itemised summary box and stopping the use of minus signs to indicate units used, as this is confusing.

See: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/energy-suppliers-could-do-better-on-bills-218542
    Last edited by billsavings; 07-07-2010 at 1:26 AM.
    • billsavings
    • By billsavings 7th Jul 10, 1:24 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    billsavings
    The place I am moving into and renting already has UW as their phone and broadband provider. Who can I switch to from UW? I tried with O2 but failed because it's not a BT line.
    Originally posted by sdavi3680
    You can move to BT.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Jul 10, 9:01 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    Their rated bottom out of seven suppliers by Which for the quality of their energy bills.

The improvements that Which? suggests Utility Warehouse considers include: explaining to its customers that it only offers one tariff, using an itemised summary box and stopping the use of minus signs to indicate units used, as this is confusing.

See: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/energy-suppliers-could-do-better-on-bills-218542
    Originally posted by billsavings
    WHICH rates UW as having by far the worst bills - BG best with 7 out of 10, the others 5 or 6 out of 10 - except UW with 3 out of 10.

Yet in the totally discredited WHICH readers satisfaction poll, UW came top for billing.

Similarly in the same reader's poll UW came top for value despite having just about the highest gas and electricity prices in UK - £hundreds more than available from the Big 6.

Just shows what 30,000 UW distributers, friends and family can achieve.

I wonder if a poll of Man Utd supporters will vote Wayne Rooney as outstanding performer of the World Cup 2010 tournament
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jul 10, 9:18 AM
    • 33,600 Posts
    • 17,478 Thanks
    Quentin
    Just shows what 30,000 UW distributers, friends and family can achieve.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Actually only around 45 of those 30,000 actually filled in those questionnaires (bizarrely saying the uw's most expensive energy was top for value for money as well as the accuracy and clarity of their bills being the tops)!
    Last edited by Quentin; 07-07-2010 at 9:59 AM.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 9th Jul 10, 7:41 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    [QUOTE=Quentin;34354627] UW energy prices are just about the most expensive - certainly nowhere near the cheapest.

As the poster at POST 7 here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34580073#post34580073 discovered to her cost.
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    UW energy is almost the most expensive in the uk it is close between them and Utillita.....

It is a sad day when BG Future Energy is cheaper at my consumption than UW....
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
    • OldGreyFox
    • By OldGreyFox 10th Jul 10, 8:48 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    OldGreyFox
    UW energy is almost the most expensive in the uk it is close between them and Utillita.....

It is a sad day when BG Future Energy is cheaper at my consumption than UW....
    Originally posted by Gerrard_8_lfc
    Are you not supposed to declare when posting in this thread that you work for British Gas ?
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 11th Jul 10, 9:05 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Are you not supposed to declare when posting in this thread that you work for British Gas ?
    Originally posted by OldGreyFox
    Yes, (s)he is but to be fair some UW Distributors forget too.

As an aside, I put Quentin, quentin & Cardew on my ignore list.

I am an independent distributor with Utility Warehouse and the views I express may not be shared by the company.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Jul 10, 9:55 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    As an aside, I put Quentin, quentin & Cardew on my ignore list.

I am an independent distributor with Utility Warehouse and the views I express may not be shared by the company.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    A wise decision!

After all you, and other UW salepersons, know that you sell just about the most expensive gas and electricity in UK(mainly to unsuspecting friends and family)

The purpose of my posts is to inform present and potential UW customers of the true facts about UW's high prices and sales techniques. So placing us on the ignore list(and I suspect you do 'peek'!!) doesn't affect that message.
  • Want2getway
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    Hopefully I can get the answer here as when I Google it, I cannot get near an answer. Forgive me, I have also posted the same question on the CAG as we are so fed up with what we feel is a very poor situation.

A few years ago we had all our services with different providers. Our gas and electric with Scottish power, Telephone with BT and broadband with Orange. All were paid at differing times and we found that as all the people in our house have mobiles, we never really used the home phone.

We were given a demonstration by a friend about the wonders of Utilities Warehouse. On the face of it we could save some money by combining all our services and going on their gold membership.

Our first problem came from the broadband, with Orange we paid £5.99 a month and never had a problem, connection was around 2meg and never dropped. We never had fast speeds advertised by everyone as we are so far from the exchange. But once we had UTW this dropped from 2meg to our current 100K. Basis services that the kids used such as BBC Iplayer became impossible.

We never used the landline either so there was no change, where their combined phone and broadband package saved money, the cost of what little calls compared to BT’s meant the bill went up and not down. When we questioned our friend we were told that this was so we got their monthly “free” membership and Card. We never used the pre-paid debit card as it is very inconvenient to use, putting money on it from our bank account, then a few days later it appears. We don’t live in a town with a Sainsbury’s petrol station, one of the big selling points (spend over £50 there, then fill up, get 5p off a litre, plus 5% cash back). So that is no use to us.

Our gas and electric no different apart from having to ring in the readings every month compared to the quarterly bills.

We received over a couple of week silent phone calls and asked UTW to change our number that we took from BT. They did this but even changed the area code from 02476 to 02477, which caused no end of confusion as people thought we were giving out the wrong number to them. They did not tell us that we would also lose the ability to change phone supplier again.

Anyway, as the broadband was so poor (just speed checked and was getting 125kps up and 50kps down) we thought £25 per month was not worth it. Orange have offered us a deal because all our mobiles are with them of home phone and internet for £7.99 a month, so it made sense to change over. We contacted Orange to take up their offer only to be told that UTW had untagged our phone number which stopped other companies from transferring it. Orange said the only way we can could get around it was to cancel with UTW, get a BT line installed (remember we were with BT before we changed over to UTW), wait for the contract period to expire and then move over to them. All in, a process that could take over a year and cost a fortune. UTW said that they do not have to allow our transfer out to another service provider as they own the line. This is something I cannot understand at all. We were with BT to start with, when we moved to UTW our number stayed the same. UTW have also said that our broadband would be cancelled too.

Does anyone know enough to help out? What can I do without having to have BT install a new line (technically flipping a switch). How can Utilities Warehouse do this to customers? It have got our backs up so much we want to move all our services away from them. We owe them no money so there is no debt issue to deal with.

Any help or advice given would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

6,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin