Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 17th May 10 at 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm – and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesn’t make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then it’s worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

• All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    • All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    • There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    • Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 2
  • keggs
    Nothing happened yet then?.
    Originally posted by uptomyeyeballs
    Hi upto

There doesn't appear to be - I'll check in case I've missed something.

Also, I've just found out that if you are a member of Quidco and use your UW cashback card to buy something on Quidco (ie UW cashback partners) then not only do you get cash back from Quidco but you also get cashback on your UIW bill.

Apparently, one of the IDs was asked this by a customer of hers but wasn't sure but someone else confirmed it.

Hope that helps.
  • keggs
    Just posted an emial to see if anyone else's heard when the findmethecheapest search engine is coming.
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 18th Jun 10, 12:03 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    keggs, I see you've changed your tune on comparison sites then.
  • keggs
    Only where the UW is concerned. I trust them. I don't trust anyone else. I rarely use comparison sites so haven't a clue what you mean really.

As far as Quidco is concerned I was relaying information to upto who I understands uses such sites. So if he does he can get twice the cash back. I have heard though that Quidco don't always do what they say they do but as I have never used the site, I wouldn't know.
    • Mike by the Sea
    • By Mike by the Sea 19th Jun 10, 12:29 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Mike by the Sea
    Just posted an emial to see if anyone else's heard when the findmethecheapest search engine is coming.
    Originally posted by keggs
    It's now up and running.
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • jellygoodfellow
    It's now up and running.
    Originally posted by Mike by the Sea
    Are you not supposed to declare you are a UW distributor Mike.
    • Mike by the Sea
    • By Mike by the Sea 20th Jun 10, 2:27 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Mike by the Sea
    Are you not supposed to declare you are a UW distributor Mike.
    Originally posted by jellygoodfellow
    Hi jelly

Not all the time apparently, as it was removed from my signature ages ago. I tend to do it from time to time on this thread and add it when relevant on other threads.

Mike

PS I am a UW ID
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • keggs
    Hi upto

It is fast. I tried it out yesterday for myself. Yes it does pick up a lot of extraneous stuff but it mentions that i the instructions at the bottom. I like the info about what cashback you get etc.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 20th Jun 10, 11:46 PM
    • 10,782 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    All this "cashback" has got to come from somewhere - I guess it must be out of the dosh you pay for the goods that qualify you for the cashback. I'd rather buy at a cheaper price elsewhere TBH.

Or perhaps they are printing the blasted stuff?

Cheers
    • keystone
    • By keystone 21st Jun 10, 7:36 AM
    • 10,782 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    So of no real tangible benefit to the consumer at all. Its marketing hype to generate cash for someone who could easily be cut out of the loop in the supply chain because you are persuaded to believe there is a benefit for you. These cashback sites don't do it for love surely so why feed them?

Cheers
  • keggs
    So of no real tangible benefit to the consumer at all. Its marketing hype to generate cash for someone who could easily be cut out of the loop in the supply chain because you are persuaded to believe there is a benefit for you. These cashback sites don't do it for love surely so why feed them?

Cheers
    Originally posted by keystone
    Cashback sites are one of the many ways of marketing in the same vein as 2 for the price of one.

UW obviously feel that by partnering with stores using this marketing technique it will encourage more and more people to join its club. The fact that both the business and residential clubs have accelerated their membership the cashback card may be one reason.

You might not think there is a benefit to cashback sites but others seem to thing they do provide one. One particular person who regularly attacks the UW certainly thinks Quidco is a useful web site and offers customers benefits.

I proffered information to a member of the UW club suggesting that he could get double cashback. Personally, I think that is useful to know.
    • xbrenx
    • By xbrenx 26th Jun 10, 9:21 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    xbrenx

It would be a great service to those current UW customers if they realised this and followed your very own example and left UW when(through reading this thread) you realised just how much you would save by moving away from UW - to EDF wasn't it?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    So why, when EDF stop me in the street and I mention I'm a UW customer, do they back off, knowing full well they cannot compete?

• Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Jun 10, 10:21 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    If you want to pay considerably less for your gas and electricity, then have a look at any comparison site and see how much you'd save by switching! EDF may not be the cheapest, but they will certainly be far cheaper than uw, and the exercise will show you how much you are being taken for by uw over their high energy prices.
  • jellygoodfellow
    So why, when EDF stop me in the street and I mention I'm a UW customer, do they back off, knowing full well they cannot compete?
    Originally posted by xbrenx

I notice you have been plugging UW in recent posts let me guess your a distributor,or you get discounts for signing people up.
    Last edited by jellygoodfellow; 27-06-2010 at 4:14 AM.
  • jellygoodfellow
    If you want to pay considerably less for your gas and electricity, then have a look at any comparison site and see how much you'd save by switching! EDF may not be the cheapest, but they will certainly be far cheaper than uw, and the exercise will show you how much you are being taken for by uw over their high energy prices.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Another point worth taking into account is their Customer Service No is a semi premium rate 0844 number which can cost an arm a leg to call.
    • xbrenx
    • By xbrenx 27th Jun 10, 8:36 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    xbrenx
    I notice you have been plugging UW in recent posts let me guess your a distributor,or you get discounts for signing people up.
    Originally posted by jellygoodfellow
    Guessed wrong, just a satisfied customer

• jellygoodfellow
    Customer,s get discounts off their bill for promoting the service.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/clubhouse/discountplan.taf
    Last edited by jellygoodfellow; 27-06-2010 at 9:41 AM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 27th Jun 10, 10:01 AM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    In that case why do you use the pm system to contact posters regarding uw? (Or are you just taking a leaf out of Keggs - (the uw rep who regularly tells us he'll never return) - modus operandi - he got publicly scolded by a colleague from uw for continually coming and posting here, and "explained" his only reason for coming here is he uses the pm system here for recruiting (totally against MSE rules!)
    Last edited by Quentin; 27-06-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    • xbrenx
    • By xbrenx 27th Jun 10, 4:53 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    xbrenx
    In that case why do you use the pm system to contact posters regarding uw? (Or are you just taking a leaf out of Keggs - (the uw rep who regularly tells us he'll never return) - modus operandi - he got publicly scolded by a colleague from uw for continually coming and posting here, and "explained" his only reason for coming here is he uses the pm system here for recruiting (totally against MSE rules!)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Too funny, I don't need to justify myself to you. Stop being so bitter and twisted and get yourself a life

• Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 27th Jun 10, 6:33 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    Too funny, I don't need to justify myself to you. Stop being so bitter and twisted and get yourself a life
    Somebody can't read his own signature.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin