Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 8,104Posts
    • 42,234Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 17th May 10 at 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm – and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesn’t make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then it’s worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

• All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    • All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    • There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    • Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 180
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Feb 17, 5:53 PM
    • 26,479 Posts
    • 12,740 Thanks
    Cardew
    If his name was on the contract, they cannot enforce the conditions of the contract on his Spouse.

I wonder if his daughters are involved with getting him to sign for UW and don't want to lose their commission!!

Tell UW to put their position in writing.

Make a good story for Watchdog or similar.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 21st Feb 17, 6:00 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Raxiel
    As teddysmum says, it's probably worth checking energy tariff to see if its a good deal, but no she's not obligated to continue the contract if she wasn't party to it when your dad was alive. UW may well be able to make a claim against his estate though.

As an aside, never heard of their lightbulb replacement service before, the marketing is pretty dubious, 'Free lightbulbs worth £500'? If you live in a supermarket or a stadium perhaps!

And what exactly do they mean by saying the bulbs use 15 times less?

No way to get a quote without handing over personal details though so its possible its the usual marketing tripe and the service itself is actually a good deal. Wouldn't bet on it though.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Feb 17, 6:07 PM
    • 26,479 Posts
    • 12,740 Thanks
    Cardew

No way to get a quote without handing over personal details though so its possible its the usual marketing tripe and the service itself is actually a good deal. Wouldn't bet on it though.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    I would bet, with confidence, it is not a good deal
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Feb 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Surely the contract is now void due to the death of one of the signatories.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 21st Feb 17, 6:16 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @harrybee1
    I would suggest going to the Citizens Advice Bureau for help and assistance in this matter.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 21st Feb 17, 8:56 PM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    Hengus
    More information provided here. I suggest the OP reads the section on energy bills:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/dealing-with-debt-when-someone-dies/bereavement-and-debt.aspx
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 21st Feb 17, 9:09 PM
    • 27,047 Posts
    • 68,975 Thanks
    Mojisola
    she has been left nothing in the estate.
    Originally posted by Harrybee1
    Is she happy with that situation?

As his wife, she has first call on the estate. If nothing was left to her in his will, she can make a claim on the estate.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 22nd Feb 17, 8:31 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    csgohan4
    if the daughters are the ones who switched the father to UW, that is very low indeed
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd Feb 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    Moved into rented property last day of November
    Landlady swears how good u w are. I swear for another reason:

Gave readings in Dec / Jan . Readings not recognised .
    I gave direct debit details, as it's best to pay monthly , even if it's an estimated bill.
    So, last weds( exactlyn1,week ago) an u w person was supposed to change the meter. The day before , I receive a phone call- cancelled.

Forward onto today, appointment booked in again for 8am-12
    Miserable man turns up. Took pictures of meter and meter readings.
    I did this over a dozen times by the way , at various times.

Man goes back to van to 'look for meter/make a phone call'
    15 mins later, returns ..cannot do the job .
    It's not totally his fault . The people in the office should have given him a meter to install.
    So, I sent email to u w telling them they are worse than useless , and that in a few months time I will be with British gas.
    Also that the direct debit will be cancelled , and I will pay over the phone. The lady I dealt with has been polite and professional , but working for the wrong company . I told her that .
    We spoke on the phone.
    I politely sent a text to landlady airing my concern about u w and told her if I was here all the time u w would be dumped .
    You get the picture
    • wongawonga
    • By wongawonga 25th Feb 17, 2:33 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    wongawonga
    My farther in law has died and had signed a contract with Utility Warehouse to include energy, light bulbs etc. His daughters want my mum (second marriage) to take over all the bills in her name. she has been left nothing in the estate. When she spoke to utility warehouse they said she couldn't cancel without penalty due the light bulbs and type of contract he signed. Them cost for her to get out of this are around 800 which she cannot afford. She has lost her husband and the stress is making her ill. He looked after all bills and now they expect her to take them over in 8 days time. Can this company demand that she carry on with a contract she did not sign or really know about ?
    Originally posted by Harrybee1
    Did she speak to the dedicated bereavement team

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/help/general/answer/account-holder-passes

If not suggest she does so.
    • wongawonga
    • By wongawonga 25th Feb 17, 2:42 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    wongawonga
    As teddysmum says, it's probably worth checking energy tariff to see if its a good deal, but no she's not obligated to continue the contract if she wasn't party to it when your dad was alive. UW may well be able to make a claim against his estate though.

As an aside, never heard of their lightbulb replacement service before, the marketing is pretty dubious, 'Free lightbulbs worth £500'? If you live in a supermarket or a stadium perhaps!

And what exactly do they mean by saying the bulbs use 15 times less?

Originally posted by Raxiel
    I found this on their website re the Free ? Light Bulbs.

This service is only available to owner-occupiers who take our Double Gold bundle. We'll change all the light bulbs in your home provided we have an LED equivalent, and your existing bulbs are safely and easily accessible. The typical value of £300-£500 is based on 39 LED bulbs at an average retail price of £8 plus a £100 charge for fitting. Lifetime Guarantee only applies provided you have your landline, broadband and mobile services with us on the date you request a replacement; otherwise a three year warranty applies. Other exclusions apply (see full T&Cs). 15% saving based on a typical household using 3,100 kWh of electricity, where 39 traditional light bulbs are changed to LEDs, with an average reduction of 45W per light bulb (eg. from 50W to 5W) and where each LED light bulb is used for an average of 45 minutes per day. If we fit new LED light bulbs in your home and you cease to take your landline, broadband or mobile services from us within the following four years, you’ll need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the LED bulbs we provided. The size of this contributions varies between £2 - £8 per bulb, depending on how long your bulbs have been installed. This offer can be withdrawn at any time.

† Available to homeowners and tenants that are over 30 years old and take a smart meter from us.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 25th Feb 17, 8:07 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I found this on their website re the Free ? Light Bulbs.

This service is only available to owner-occupiers who take our Double Gold bundle. We'll change all the light bulbs in your home provided we have an LED equivalent, and your existing bulbs are safely and easily accessible. The typical value of £300-£500 is based on 39 LED bulbs at an average retail price of £8 plus a £100 charge for fitting. Lifetime Guarantee only applies provided you have your landline, broadband and mobile services with us on the date you request a replacement; otherwise a three year warranty applies. Other exclusions apply (see full T&Cs). 15% saving based on a typical household using 3,100 kWh of electricity, where 39 traditional light bulbs are changed to LEDs, with an average reduction of 45W per light bulb (eg. from 50W to 5W) and where each LED light bulb is used for an average of 45 minutes per day. If we fit new LED light bulbs in your home and you cease to take your landline, broadband or mobile services from us within the following four years, you’ll need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the LED bulbs we provided. The size of this contributions varies between £2 - £8 per bulb, depending on how long your bulbs have been installed. This offer can be withdrawn at any time.

† Available to homeowners and tenants that are over 30 years old and take a smart meter from us.
    Originally posted by wongawonga
    How much does it take to change a light bulb again??? Lol, what a joke of a company
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm going to the ombudsman about them
    Since moving into rented accommodation on Nov 30:
    1) They kept telling me my readings are 'wrong ' .
    2) constantly on my hands and knees giving readings while , taking pictures on my iPhone .
    3) eventually , an appointment was made to change 'faulty ' meter.
    4) The day before appointment , I receive phone call to cancel.
    5) appointment a week later. Miserable engineer turns up without a replacement meter
    7) I pay Feb bill ( how much it should really be , god only knows)
    8) cancel direct debit , the day after
    9) Receive letter with more expensive tariff because of this
    10) receive a letter in forming me a £6 administration charge will be made payable because I cancelled d d
    11) I send email to person I liaised with initially ( she is polite and professional ) Also to head office , informing them I'm contacting the
    Ombudsman

What now ?

Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm going to the ombudsman about them
    Since moving into rented accommodation on Nov 30:
    1) They kept telling me my readings are 'wrong ' .
    2) constantly on my hands and knees giving readings while , taking pictures on my iPhone .
    3) eventually , an appointment was made to change 'faulty ' meter.
    4) The day before appointment , I receive phone call to cancel.
    5) appointment a week later. Miserable engineer turns up without a replacement meter
    7) I pay Feb bill ( how much it should really be , god only knows)
    8) cancel direct debit , the day after
    9) Receive letter with more expensive tariff because of this
    10) receive a letter in forming me a £6 administration charge will be made payable because I cancelled d d
    11) I send email to person I liaised with initially ( she is polite and professional ) Also to head office , informing them I'm contacting the
    Ombudsman
    12) if I missed the engineers appointments, I would've been charged £22 each time . Two days, plus inconvenience with multiple readings .
    How much do they owe me ??
    What now ?

Thanks
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 8th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    bazzyb
    How much does it take to change a light bulb again??? Lol, what a joke of a company
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    What would you say is a fair price for a tradesman to come out and replace 39 light bulbs? I don't think £100 is a ridiculous 'value' to put on it.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just thought I'd give an update :
    1) i forwarded my concerns to email address on the u w headed paper.
    2) eventually got email from a person there , telling me that they are looking into complaint
    3) eventually got a call from that person . They are still awaiting a report from the contractor they sent out
    4) The first cancellation: I was given 48 hours notice. Not unreasonable I was told. I eventually , calmly put my point across after listening to one way traffic./ them trying to justify being useless etc . I did tell them if they never sent contractors out , the issue would've been done ages ago etc
    5) received a letter telling me I haven't been in touch etc. Standard rubbish.
    6) phoned up to give reading only to be told that the system is down. Can I phone again after an hour
    7) sent email giving my readings and concerns
    8) thankfully, I will be moving into my own place in June . They won't be moving with me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

947Posts Today

6,484Users online

Martin's Twitter