Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > England > Folkestone Sunday Market 23rd May onwards (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Folkestone Sunday Market 23rd May onwards
Closed Thread
Views: 4,767
# 1
chalkysoil
Old 12-05-2010, 2:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thumbs up Folkestone Sunday Market 23rd May onwards

Folkestone Sunday market will be on the seafront on the site of the old Rotunda from May 23rd onwards.
This used to be the biggest and best Sunday market in the South East. Clothes, shoes, groceries, butcher, green grocer, catering, phone accessories ... bargains

Free parking on the site Sea views! Nearby kids adventure playground and cliff walk. The leas cliff lift has started up again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chalkysoil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Kingsd316
Old 12-05-2010, 3:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow thanks, i use to go there all the time, spend some money in the dome first of course, thanks for letting us know
# 3
chalkysoil
Old 12-05-2010, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I saw a guy giving out flyers yesterday. It'll be so nice to have some life on the sea front. The amusements have all long gone though. Loads of nice pubs nearby
# 4
Mathew
Old 12-05-2010, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Blimey that brings back memorys! That 'Spliffy' and 'Naf Naf' gear they used to knock out was legendary!
I hope the butchers have the required banter to make it what it was!
# 5
chalkysoil
Old 12-05-2010, 6:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

last time I was there before it shut, the greengrocer gave me a carrier bag full of avocado pears for a quid, really hope he's going to be there
# 6
Kingsd316
Old 13-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We stopped going when they closed the dome and the theme park was just in tatters, seem to remember there was only the outside ring of stalls there which was a shame, looking forward to going back!
# 7
Vince Munday
Old 15-05-2010, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, i'm the chap that was handing out leaflets, we are having a great response from traders and customers alike and we look forward to seeing everyone there, let's try to get the market back to the glory days when it was the best market around, Folkestone needs something like this!
# 8
chalkysoil
Old 19-05-2010, 3:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Munday View Post
Hi, i'm the chap that was handing out leaflets, we are having a great response from traders and customers alike and we look forward to seeing everyone there, let's try to get the market back to the glory days when it was the best market around, Folkestone needs something like this!
Hi! I'm the woman who was hanging around drinking coke and talking to you about the rate per sq foot! I said I'd put it on the web!
# 9
chalkysoil
Old 23-05-2010, 6:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

the weather is brilliant, see you there
# 10
Gabesmum
Old 23-05-2010, 6:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

What time will this start and does anyone know if there'll be the doughnut seller? My husband used to love getting hot, fresh doughnuts on a Sunday morning.
# 11
chalkysoil
Old 23-05-2010, 7:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

it's open now. not sure which stalls are there cos it's the first day, about to leave home to go look, and have a paddle afterwards
The Following User Says Thank You to chalkysoil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Confessoress
Old 23-05-2010, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

And I'm one of the people that picked up a leaflet from you ;-) Off down there now. Yay!
# 13
Gabesmum
Old 23-05-2010, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The doughnut guy was there. Hubbie and I were very happy.
# 14
chalkysoil
Old 23-05-2010, 4:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

yes I thought of you when I saw the doughnut van.
There was a bit of a glitch with the free parking on site, insurance hassels or something, I was ok , sailed straight in to a street space, then noticed the ticket machine in Shepway's pricey car park was caput = free parking But a sign up saying it's shut from Friday - bank hol Mon ie next weekend, for resurfacing Like Shepway to pick a good time to shut a beach front car park.
Got some "crocs" for 2 and grippy builders gardening gloves for 1 ideal for yanking up nettles and some other stuff too.
Thought it was pretty good for it's first day.
sat on the beach for an hour then up to Asda for effectively free parking there ( spend 7.50, get a 2.20 2 hour ticket refunded) Qickest thing to buy is a 24 pack of loo rolls & a drink.
# 15
roizee2010
Old 25-10-2010, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I visited the folkestone market last sunday for the first time since it has reopened and was very dissapointed with the turnout of market traders and buyers alike, perhaps it was because of the time of year but the weather was good, but would have expected more with the lead up to christmas,as I had travelled a long way to visit this market I would not bother again at this time of year.
COME ON FOLKESTONE DO US PROUD AGAIN
# 16
xanthe06
Old 25-10-2010, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ive not lived in kent for many years and was a reg visitor till i moved to suffolk, i used to work in rotunda and on my lunch breaks used to have a look around, back then it was fantastic, but ive seen pics of the seafront now and to be honest its looking very sad, same as margate, but i know who we have to thank for that and that is jimmy godden himself, hope his proud of himself
debt free wannabe that's me
Closed Thread