Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 12th May 10, 2:46 PM
    • 1,629Posts
    • 4,804Thanks
    chalkysoil
    Folkestone Sunday Market 23rd May onwards
    • 12th May 10, 2:46 PM
    Folkestone Sunday Market 23rd May onwards 12th May 10 at 2:46 PM
    Folkestone Sunday market will be on the seafront on the site of the old Rotunda from May 23rd onwards.
    This used to be the biggest and best Sunday market in the South East. Clothes, shoes, groceries, butcher, green grocer, catering, phone accessories ... bargains

Free parking on the site Sea views! Nearby kids adventure playground and cliff walk. The leas cliff lift has started up again.
Page 1
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 12th May 10, 3:00 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    • 12th May 10, 3:00 PM
    • 12th May 10, 3:00 PM
    Wow thanks, i use to go there all the time, spend some money in the dome first of course, thanks for letting us know
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 12th May 10, 4:27 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    • 12th May 10, 4:27 PM
    • 12th May 10, 4:27 PM
    I saw a guy giving out flyers yesterday. It'll be so nice to have some life on the sea front. The amusements have all long gone though. Loads of nice pubs nearby
  • Mathew
    • 12th May 10, 4:50 PM
    • 12th May 10, 4:50 PM
    Blimey that brings back memorys! That 'Spliffy' and 'Naf Naf' gear they used to knock out was legendary!
    I hope the butchers have the required banter to make it what it was!
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 12th May 10, 6:57 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    • 12th May 10, 6:57 PM
    • 12th May 10, 6:57 PM
    last time I was there before it shut, the greengrocer gave me a carrier bag full of avocado pears for a quid, really hope he's going to be there
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 13th May 10, 10:24 AM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    • 13th May 10, 10:24 AM
    • 13th May 10, 10:24 AM
    We stopped going when they closed the dome and the theme park was just in tatters, seem to remember there was only the outside ring of stalls there which was a shame, looking forward to going back!
  • Vince Munday
    • 15th May 10, 7:39 PM
    • 15th May 10, 7:39 PM
    Hi, i'm the chap that was handing out leaflets, we are having a great response from traders and customers alike and we look forward to seeing everyone there, let's try to get the market back to the glory days when it was the best market around, Folkestone needs something like this!
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 19th May 10, 3:03 AM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    • 19th May 10, 3:03 AM
    • 19th May 10, 3:03 AM
    Hi, i'm the chap that was handing out leaflets, we are having a great response from traders and customers alike and we look forward to seeing everyone there, let's try to get the market back to the glory days when it was the best market around, Folkestone needs something like this!
    Originally posted by Vince Munday
    Hi! I'm the woman who was hanging around drinking coke and talking to you about the rate per sq foot! I said I'd put it on the web!
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 23rd May 10, 6:05 AM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    • 23rd May 10, 6:05 AM
    • 23rd May 10, 6:05 AM
    the weather is brilliant, see you there
  • Gabesmum
    What time will this start and does anyone know if there'll be the doughnut seller? My husband used to love getting hot, fresh doughnuts on a Sunday morning.
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 23rd May 10, 7:00 AM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    it's open now. not sure which stalls are there cos it's the first day, about to leave home to go look, and have a paddle afterwards
  • Confessoress
    And I'm one of the people that picked up a leaflet from you ;-) Off down there now. Yay!
  • Gabesmum
    The doughnut guy was there. Hubbie and I were very happy.
    • chalkysoil
    • By chalkysoil 23rd May 10, 4:59 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    chalkysoil
    yes I thought of you when I saw the doughnut van.
    There was a bit of a glitch with the free parking on site, insurance hassels or something, I was ok , sailed straight in to a street space, then noticed the ticket machine in Shepway's pricey car park was caput = free parking But a sign up saying it's shut from Friday - bank hol Mon ie next weekend, for resurfacing Like Shepway to pick a good time to shut a beach front car park.
    Got some "crocs" for £2 and grippy builders gardening gloves for £1 ideal for yanking up nettles and some other stuff too.
    Thought it was pretty good for it's first day.
    sat on the beach for an hour then up to Asda for effectively free parking there ( spend £7.50, get a £2.20 2 hour ticket refunded) Qickest thing to buy is a 24 pack of loo rolls & a drink.
  • roizee2010
    I visited the folkestone market last sunday for the first time since it has reopened and was very dissapointed with the turnout of market traders and buyers alike, perhaps it was because of the time of year but the weather was good, but would have expected more with the lead up to christmas,as I had travelled a long way to visit this market I would not bother again at this time of year.
    COME ON FOLKESTONE DO US PROUD AGAIN
    • xanthe06
    • By xanthe06 25th Oct 10, 5:56 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    xanthe06
    ive not lived in kent for many years and was a reg visitor till i moved to suffolk, i used to work in rotunda and on my lunch breaks used to have a look around, back then it was fantastic, but ive seen pics of the seafront now and to be honest its looking very sad, same as margate, but i know who we have to thank for that and that is jimmy godden himself, hope his proud of himself
    debt free wannabe
    2016 October challenge £2
    Comp wins 0
    surveys £0
    debt £5000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,508Posts Today

4,102Users online

Martin's Twitter