IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Pay Monthly Designer Handbags?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,220
# 1
kipendo
Old 10-05-2010, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Pay Monthly Designer Handbags?

Hello MSErs!!

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a site that sells designer handbags (i.e, Chloe, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs) but lets you pay in installments?

My current bag is starting to fall apart so I'm in need of a new one, but would love to get a decent one that's going to last and just pay it off slowly!

I know the obvious option is to pay by credit card and do it that way but unfortunately I don't have that option available to me!

Many thanks!!
# 2
Bronnie
Old 10-05-2010, 7:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi there Kipendo and welcome to MSE!

How much would you be looking to pay off each month? Perhaps you could make-do for a while and save that amount in a dedicated savings account each month instead. Sell a few bits on ebay to add to your fund and if people ask what you want for your birthday this year, tell them you'd be so grateful for a small donation for your " Beautiful Bag Fund".

You could then treat yourself to your perfect bag, without having the bag hanging off one shoulder and a debt hanging off the other.

Maybe not be what you want to hear, but that's what I'd tell my DD who's the same age as you
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bronnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lostinrates
Old 10-05-2010, 8:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think, Bronnie, it is the ONLY truely MSE way for a luxury spend, save then seek discounts/sales.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
xxvickixx
Old 10-05-2010, 8:53 PM

I would add that although a designer bag is seen as the ultimate luxury and quality, I've had bags from BHS and Debenhams that have lasted many years and withstood a lot of wear and abuse so you really don't *need* to spend an awful lot.

Last edited by xxvickixx; 10-05-2010 at 8:57 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxvickixx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BitterAndTwisted
Old 10-05-2010, 8:55 PM

Any woman who says that she needs a new bag because the one she has is falling apart is a liar. Everybody knows that no woman ever has just the one bag.

Lady, it's either time to save up for that luxury bag, buy a reasonably priced one which fits your budget or hit the charity shops
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Wilma33
Old 10-05-2010, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Save, save, save! Please don't into debt for a handbag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilma33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
kipendo
Old 10-05-2010, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for all the kind words of advice everyone!

I think I really do need that bag though...! Although I am considering starting a savings account for "luxury items" - so your advice isn't on completely deaf ears!!

I have survived on cheaper ones for several years (my current one is Debenhams!) but it's pot luck whether you get one that will last the duration or not.

I work as a buyer for a living, so am out and about all over town all the time, so my bag is a really important possession, and has to be quite specific in terms of opening, compartments etc...as well as getting quite a lot of wear and tear...and I don't have any other bag that would be up to the job!
# 8
BitterAndTwisted
Old 10-05-2010, 9:21 PM

Is this the right place to open up a discussion about what appears to be a radical change in people's aspirations? Normal. ordinary wage-earners thinking that a mere hand-bag which could cost a month's pay is an appropriate and sensible purchase?

I'm a wizened old hag now with very different priorities and I'd obviously heard of Cloe, Hermes, Mulberry et al when I was a lot younger but never in a million years believed that such a purchase was attainable or knew anyone who owned one either.
# 9
lostinrates
Old 10-05-2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipendo View Post
Thank you for all the kind words of advice everyone!

I think I really do need that bag though...! Although I am considering starting a savings account for "luxury items" - so your advice isn't on completely deaf ears!!

I have survived on cheaper ones for several years (my current one is Debenhams!) but it's pot luck whether you get one that will last the duration or not.

I work as a buyer for a living, so am out and about all over town all the time, so my bag is a really important possession, and has to be quite specific in terms of opening, compartments etc...as well as getting quite a lot of wear and tear...and I don't have any other bag that would be up to the job!
I have a couple of designer bags, gifts not my spends!, one has needed several repairs andother has merely had a few. I have a few bags from independant shops I have wished would die and they won;'t (50 mark). Last bag oruchase was a Ness BAg reduced to 25. It has rlled around the back of DH's landrover getting hay/mud on it and has just brushed/wiped clean and smart. Something like that, young British skill and makers is not as expensive as what we term''designer'' but its cheaper and quirkier.
# 10
BitterAndTwisted
Old 10-05-2010, 9:30 PM

Coach bags can be got for less than Chloe and Mulberry and are lovely quality.
# 11
MrsE
Old 10-05-2010, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipendo View Post
Hello MSErs!!

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a site that sells designer handbags (i.e, Chloe, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs) but lets you pay in installments?

My current bag is starting to fall apart so I'm in need of a new one, but would love to get a decent one that's going to last and just pay it off slowly!

I know the obvious option is to pay by credit card and do it that way but unfortunately I don't have that option available to me!

Many thanks!!
Can't tell you where to get them on tick but I can tell you where to get them cheap(er)

Shepton Mallett, Mulberry factory shop. I got a Tan Roxanne in there for 245.
Also got a small-med black one (can't remember name) reduced to about 125 (I think).

Bicester Mulberry discount store (not as cheap as Shepton Mallet, but still good).

Got a lovely large black messenger there for under 300, should have been 6 or 7 ish I think.

I love the hair & beauty boards :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
xxvickixx
Old 10-05-2010, 9:32 PM

They had some Chloe bags at the Boot Sale on Sunday and they were only about 20 lol!
# 13
crackerberry
Old 10-05-2010, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Until ten years ago I only ever bought normal high-street bags. When a change of job resulted in better financial fortunes I spent a couple of years replenishing my bag collection with designer bags instead. I spent a small fortune acquiring them but some of them have actually doubled in value or more so though they weren't bought as investments they have turned out to be so. All of the bags have worn well and are still immaculate and since my splurge I haven't bought a handbag since and probably won't for years to come either. So averaged over the years the cost of the bags has probably worked out to be less than what I used to pay annually for high street ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crackerberry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
nearlyrich
Old 10-05-2010, 9:39 PM

There are places to buy handbags at "outlet" prices, I have a Mulberry Laptop bag that cost 75 3 years ago, from the outlet store in Biscester Village, I also have a couple of Tula bags that cost about 20 in the sale at Boundary Mill. I like nice bags but I don't like and would not pay the stupid retail prices of designer bags....
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
The Following User Says Thank You to nearlyrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Wilma33
Old 10-05-2010, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How much are you thinking of spending and what is your monthly take home pay?
# 16
kipendo
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Great to know about the outlets!! May pop up to Bicester to see what's around - do they have sales all the time or at particular times of year?

Wilma - I'd probably look at spending around 200, up to an absolute max of 300.

I'm self-employed so don't have a set monthly take home as such. I'm usually on at least 100 a day, but obviously I don't necessarily work every working day...
# 17
crackerberry
Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The "Flannels Fashion" website is worth having a look at. 300 will get you a bag worth twice that, if there's one for that which is to your liking. Its worth a look - checkout the clearance section if you look at the site.
The Following User Says Thank You to crackerberry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
crackerberry
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just had a look and there's a couple of Chloe bags on there - 225 (down from 465). Currently totally skint, I wish I hadn't looked now. There's a nice little Gucci evening bag on there I'd snap up.
# 19
kipendo
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What a great website! Thank you Crackerberry!!

Nothing jumps out just but will keep a close eye, definitely a great saving. Maybe by then I'll have saved the money...some fabulous shoes on there!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kipendo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
crackerberry
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's a brilliant site to keep an eye on. I've had a few things from it, last thing being a Viv Westwood suit reduced from 600 to 200! I've only worn it once...then decided I detested it :-p ... but yes, I'd say its shoes section is the most appealing/tempting.
Its spot on for delivery too, and everything is packaged beautifully.
Closed Thread