Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Dominos pizza drivers wage?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dominos pizza drivers wage??
Closed Thread
Views: 49,560
# 1
complimentschemistry
Old 10-05-2010, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Dominos pizza drivers wage??

Hi guys & girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much Dominos Pizza delivery drivers get paid per hour? Apparently you get petrol allowance as well but not sure how true this is?

Thanks in advance, CC
2013: The Year of Career
Needs, Not Wants!
NSDs for April: 0/10
2013 Crazy Clothes Challenge: £43/£200

Weight loss: 3/35lbs *35lbs in 35 weeks - 24.02.13 to 27.10.13*
The Following User Says Thank You to complimentschemistry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
jc2703
Old 10-05-2010, 3:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by complimentschemistry View Post
Hi guys & girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much Dominos Pizza delivery drivers get paid per hour? Apparently you get petrol allowance as well but not sure how true this is?

Thanks in advance, CC
Locally it works out at £4 per hour plus £1 per delivery
Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
Quit Smoking 08/06/09
# 3
Lokolo
Old 10-05-2010, 3:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2703 View Post
Locally it works out at £4 per hour plus £1 per delivery
Really? Thats below minimum wage....

My store is minimum wage (age dependent) + 80p-£2 a delivery depending where.
You only live once so make the most of it!
# 4
catflea
Old 10-05-2010, 3:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Remember that you need to advise your car insurance co that there are business miles going on and the profession....
Proud of who, and what, I am.
# 5
jc2703
Old 10-05-2010, 3:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokolo View Post

My store is minimum wage (age dependent) + 80p-£2 a delivery depending where.
Which is why the person who I know didn't do it. As Dominos is a franchise each store may be different
Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
Quit Smoking 08/06/09
# 6
complimentschemistry
Old 10-05-2010, 4:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What is minimum wage btw? I would try and look myself but work computer doesn't let you look up job stuff

Cheers for info so far!
2013: The Year of Career
Needs, Not Wants!
NSDs for April: 0/10
2013 Crazy Clothes Challenge: £43/£200

Weight loss: 3/35lbs *35lbs in 35 weeks - 24.02.13 to 27.10.13*
# 7
dzug1
Old 10-05-2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Depends on how many deliveries you make surely
# 8
Lokolo
Old 10-05-2010, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzug1 View Post
Depends on how many deliveries you make surely
I don't think thats the point, as I could work for a week without doing deliveries and get paid under minimum wage.

Its the same with being a waitor, I thought it was illegal to make up the minimum wage through tips.

Same problem surely?

Also when I worked at Domino's, the delivery money wasn't paid with their wages. They would just get the petrol money at the end of the night.
# 9
gemstar16
Old 10-05-2010, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My partner works part time as a dominos delivery driver he is paid £5.80 an hour, he gets 80p-£1 for petrol depending on area he is driving too, the petrol money is paid at the end of the night. He also gets to keep tips. He works between 12 and 16 hours a week and can make between £100 and £140 with wages, petrol and tips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gemstar16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Lokolo
Old 10-05-2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstar16 View Post
My partner works part time as a dominos delivery driver he is paid £5.80 an hour, he gets 80p-£1 for petrol depending on area he is driving too, the petrol money is paid at the end of the night. He also gets to keep tips. He works between 12 and 16 hours a week and can make between £100 and £140 with wages, petrol and tips.
That sounds a lot like one the stores I worked in. Wouldn't be surprised if it were the same owner.
# 11
john_kent
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to work at Pizza Hut when I couldnt find anything else. I would typically do Thursday Friday and Saturday 6pm til 10pm.

I earned minimum wage plus 80p a delivery and kept tips. I also was entitled to one regular pizza or two side dishes per shift.

Occassionaly I would volunteer for oven cleaning and this led to other adhoc tasks like running to another store to collect stock or even cleaning at another store.

People look down on this job but it kept my head above water fro 6 months and I kept it up after I found full time work until it got to much
# 12
paulwf
Old 11-05-2010, 8:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
I don't think thats the point, as I could work for a week without doing deliveries and get paid under minimum wage.
They are perfectly entitled to pay whatever hourly rate and whatever productivity based rate they wish as long as these are topped up to meet min wage if they fall short. Therefore if the theoretical case of sitting there with no deliveries all week happened the company would just have to top it up to min wage.

Generally the criteria for meeting min wage is set by the pay period. So for example if you get paid weekly you might get one quiet night and fall below min wage but if the next night is super busy and you're average is above min wage the company is covered. You would have to check with the NMW hotline to confirm this though as half fixed pay and half productivity might complicate things, but I know for purely productivity pay it's based on pay period.

Quote:

Its the same with being a waitor, I thought it was illegal to make up the minimum wage through tips.

Same problem surely?
No, pay for waiters is a special case. Customers intended tips to be a perk for waiters but they were being used as basic wages so eventually the law was changed. In the case of pizza delivery tips from customers aren't being included in the wage, the pizza company is paying the delivery bonus.

BTW whenever pizza delivery threads crop up the general theme seems to be that all the stop start short journeys on residential roads trashes the car. I'd imagine by the time car running costs are factored in it's pretty much a min wage job.

Last edited by paulwf; 11-05-2010 at 8:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulwf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Kate78
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Arrow

Full adult minimum wage is £5.80 per hour (aged 22+)
Development Rate is £4.83 ph (aged 18 to day before 22nd birthday)
Young Workers £3.57 ph (16 until day before 18th birthday)

The work rights helpline number is 0800 917 23 68 and they are the best place to start with minimum wage queries.

Last edited by Kate78; 11-05-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: making myself clearer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kate78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Faz
Old 11-05-2010, 7:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Something to bear in mind if you're using your own vehicle when delivering is the wear and tear on your car. It's okay to think that you're getting 80p per delivery on top of your hourly rate.. however, what is that 80p having to cover? Fuel? Vehicle depreciation? Tyres/brakes/oil? If you get a puncture or your clutch breaks, is that coming out of your pocket?

(I worked at pizza hut delivering pizza's for many years whilst a student, so I'm speaking from experience).
# 15
nolongerindenial
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...
£2187.11/ £131,795.91 - 1.66% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
Debt free by Xmas 2014: #182 £2727.06/£22,000 (12.4%)
MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
Current Balance: £108052.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
Proud to be dealing with my debts
# 16
Faz
Old 12-05-2010, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolongerindenial View Post
This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...
Based on my previous experiences:

I would do around 5 deliveries per hour, 5 x 80p = £4.00. Some were greater distance, paying £1.60 per delivery. If I average this, I get around £6 per hour in 'commission' as it was called. If I assume £3 goes on fuel and £1 in car wear/tear, this leaves £2/hour profit.

Add on the hourly rate (minimum wage?) gives approx £7 an hour. My tips after a 5 hour shift were on average £3-10 in total.

So to conclude, a 5 hour shift would have made me about £38-45 in my pocket.

Hope that helps.
# 17
nolongerindenial
Old 13-05-2010, 1:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Faz,

Thank you for the great information there - can I ask what car you drove to keep the fuel costs down - I assume a diesel?
£2187.11/ £131,795.91 - 1.66% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
Debt free by Xmas 2014: #182 £2727.06/£22,000 (12.4%)
MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
Current Balance: £108052.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
Proud to be dealing with my debts
Closed Thread