Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • complimentschemistry
    • By complimentschemistry 10th May 10, 3:29 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 1,009Thanks
    complimentschemistry
    Dominos pizza drivers wage??
    • 10th May 10, 3:29 PM
    Dominos pizza drivers wage?? 10th May 10 at 3:29 PM
    Hi guys & girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much Dominos Pizza delivery drivers get paid per hour? Apparently you get petrol allowance as well but not sure how true this is?

Thanks in advance, CC
    October Grocery Challenge - £67.18/£135
    Save up £500 - £0/£500
    NSDs for October - 0/10
Page 1
  • jc2703
    • 10th May 10, 3:33 PM
    • 10th May 10, 3:33 PM
    Hi guys & girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much Dominos Pizza delivery drivers get paid per hour? Apparently you get petrol allowance as well but not sure how true this is?

Thanks in advance, CC
    Originally posted by complimentschemistry
    Locally it works out at £4 per hour plus £1 per delivery
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 10th May 10, 3:36 PM
    • 19,561 Posts
    • 14,508 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 10th May 10, 3:36 PM
    Locally it works out at £4 per hour plus £1 per delivery
    Originally posted by jc2703
    Really? Thats below minimum wage....

My store is minimum wage (age dependent) + 80p-£2 a delivery depending where.
  • catflea
    Remember that you need to advise your car insurance co that there are business miles going on and the profession....
    Proud of who, and what, I am.
  • jc2703
    • 10th May 10, 3:42 PM
    • 10th May 10, 3:42 PM

My store is minimum wage (age dependent) + 80p-£2 a delivery depending where.
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    Which is why the person who I know didn't do it. As Dominos is a franchise each store may be different
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
    • complimentschemistry
    • By complimentschemistry 10th May 10, 4:08 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    complimentschemistry
    • 10th May 10, 4:08 PM
    • 10th May 10, 4:08 PM
    What is minimum wage btw? I would try and look myself but work computer doesn't let you look up job stuff

Cheers for info so far!
    October Grocery Challenge - £67.18/£135
    Save up £500 - £0/£500
    NSDs for October - 0/10
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 10th May 10, 4:10 PM
    • 13,364 Posts
    • 6,123 Thanks
    dzug1
    • 10th May 10, 4:10 PM
    • 10th May 10, 4:10 PM

Depends on how many deliveries you make surely
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 10th May 10, 5:54 PM
    • 19,561 Posts
    • 14,508 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 10th May 10, 5:54 PM
    • 10th May 10, 5:54 PM
    Depends on how many deliveries you make surely
    Originally posted by dzug1
    I don't think thats the point, as I could work for a week without doing deliveries and get paid under minimum wage.

Its the same with being a waitor, I thought it was illegal to make up the minimum wage through tips.

Same problem surely?

Also when I worked at Domino's, the delivery money wasn't paid with their wages. They would just get the petrol money at the end of the night.
  • gemstar16
    • 10th May 10, 7:17 PM
    • 10th May 10, 7:17 PM
    My partner works part time as a dominos delivery driver he is paid £5.80 an hour, he gets 80p-£1 for petrol depending on area he is driving too, the petrol money is paid at the end of the night. He also gets to keep tips. He works between 12 and 16 hours a week and can make between £100 and £140 with wages, petrol and tips.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 10th May 10, 7:18 PM
    • 19,561 Posts
    • 14,508 Thanks
    Lokolo
    My partner works part time as a dominos delivery driver he is paid £5.80 an hour, he gets 80p-£1 for petrol depending on area he is driving too, the petrol money is paid at the end of the night. He also gets to keep tips. He works between 12 and 16 hours a week and can make between £100 and £140 with wages, petrol and tips.
    Originally posted by gemstar16
    That sounds a lot like one the stores I worked in. Wouldn't be surprised if it were the same owner.
  • john_kent
    I used to work at Pizza Hut when I couldnt find anything else. I would typically do Thursday Friday and Saturday 6pm til 10pm.

I earned minimum wage plus 80p a delivery and kept tips. I also was entitled to one regular pizza or two side dishes per shift.

Occassionaly I would volunteer for oven cleaning and this led to other adhoc tasks like running to another store to collect stock or even cleaning at another store.

People look down on this job but it kept my head above water fro 6 months and I kept it up after I found full time work until it got to much
  • paulwf
    I don't think thats the point, as I could work for a week without doing deliveries and get paid under minimum wage.
    They are perfectly entitled to pay whatever hourly rate and whatever productivity based rate they wish as long as these are topped up to meet min wage if they fall short. Therefore if the theoretical case of sitting there with no deliveries all week happened the company would just have to top it up to min wage.

Generally the criteria for meeting min wage is set by the pay period. So for example if you get paid weekly you might get one quiet night and fall below min wage but if the next night is super busy and you're average is above min wage the company is covered. You would have to check with the NMW hotline to confirm this though as half fixed pay and half productivity might complicate things, but I know for purely productivity pay it's based on pay period.

Its the same with being a waitor, I thought it was illegal to make up the minimum wage through tips.

Same problem surely?
    No, pay for waiters is a special case. Customers intended tips to be a perk for waiters but they were being used as basic wages so eventually the law was changed. In the case of pizza delivery tips from customers aren't being included in the wage, the pizza company is paying the delivery bonus.

BTW whenever pizza delivery threads crop up the general theme seems to be that all the stop start short journeys on residential roads trashes the car. I'd imagine by the time car running costs are factored in it's pretty much a min wage job.
    Last edited by paulwf; 11-05-2010 at 8:08 AM.
    • Kate78
    • By Kate78 11th May 10, 11:43 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Kate78
    Full adult minimum wage is £5.80 per hour (aged 22+)
    Development Rate is £4.83 ph (aged 18 to day before 22nd birthday)
    Young Workers £3.57 ph (16 until day before 18th birthday)

The work rights helpline number is 0800 917 23 68 and they are the best place to start with minimum wage queries.
    Last edited by Kate78; 11-05-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: making myself clearer!
  • Faz
    Something to bear in mind if you're using your own vehicle when delivering is the wear and tear on your car. It's okay to think that you're getting 80p per delivery on top of your hourly rate.. however, what is that 80p having to cover? Fuel? Vehicle depreciation? Tyres/brakes/oil? If you get a puncture or your clutch breaks, is that coming out of your pocket?

(I worked at pizza hut delivering pizza's for many years whilst a student, so I'm speaking from experience).
  • nolongerindenial
    This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Faz
    This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...
    Originally posted by nolongerindenial
    Based on my previous experiences:

I would do around 5 deliveries per hour, 5 x 80p = £4.00. Some were greater distance, paying £1.60 per delivery. If I average this, I get around £6 per hour in 'commission' as it was called. If I assume £3 goes on fuel and £1 in car wear/tear, this leaves £2/hour profit.

Add on the hourly rate (minimum wage?) gives approx £7 an hour. My tips after a 5 hour shift were on average £3-10 in total.

So to conclude, a 5 hour shift would have made me about £38-45 in my pocket.

Hope that helps.
  • nolongerindenial
    Hi Faz,

Thank you for the great information there - can I ask what car you drove to keep the fuel costs down - I assume a diesel?
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

1,765Users online

Martin's Twitter