IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Race Passion
Views: 19,289
# 1
lmorton
Old 08-05-2010, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Race Passion

Has anybody had any problems with them?
I have asked for my money back and been refused, i have involved Trading standards and now am proceeding to court action.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lmorton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
rsykes2000
Old 08-05-2010, 4:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Never heard of them. What do they do and what did they do to you ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsykes2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lmorton
Old 08-05-2010, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As a new member i cannot post links or photographs, how many posts do i need to enable me to do this?
# 4
lmorton
Old 08-05-2010, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Long story short, the basics are........

Commisioned them to source and build a campervan, paid booking fee and told it would take two weeks to complete, collection date 25th Feb. Have spec sheet & proof.

23rd Feb told campervan would not be completed on time, was furious as had booked holidays off work, paid for travel to collect campervan & sold car. Have proof.

Eventually given new date of 20th March, almost a month later for a two week job !!! Have proof.

20th March came and went, no campervan, contacted Trading standards, issued recorded delivery letter to state collection in 14 days or full refund, this took date to 1st April. 1st April came and went no campervan. Have proof.

Eventually got campervan on 9th April, estimates to put right so far are approx 6,000 and awaiting estimate for other items in need of repair. Asked for refund, refused. Have proof.
# 5
gordikin
Old 08-05-2010, 8:06 PM
PPR

Why did you accept the campervan with 6k of faults? Surely some would have been obvious on collection? Have you paid in full? How much in total?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordikin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lmorton
Old 08-05-2010, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The worst of the damage was not noticed until we took the vehicle to Iveco to have a new tyre as one was bald, they pointed out that our wheel nuts were not the same on the back as they were the front and conducted a saftey report, the back axle is not even for the model of van we have, that part alone costs over 2,000 and that's without vat or labour, the rest of the problems 'so far' were found by Iveco and are not something your everyday member of the public would be aware of. As soon as i am able to i will post the Iveco saftey report.

In total 12,500 was paid. 500 as a booking deposit, 6,000 to commence work, 6,000 on collection. That was also a carry on as he would not accept a cheque, bankers cheque or credit card payment for the final 6,000 it had to be a direct transfer into his bank account. I live at the top of Scotland and the van was in Wales. Trading standards inform me that the company is liable up to six months after collection.

Last edited by lmorton; 08-05-2010 at 8:31 PM. Reason: additional
# 7
KeithP
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM

There is nothing inherently unsafe in the vehicle having a different back axle that which it had originally.
It was probably changed at sometime to change the ratio... to improve the driving experience... make the acceleration, top speed, torque more suitable for a leisure vehicle.
Just because I've written it doesn't mean that
either you or I have to believe it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeithP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
lmorton
Old 09-05-2010, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello Keith
Thats an interesting angle however i have yet to find a campervan that needs to carry 2 spare tyres. If there was the remotest possibility that the vehicle required this change do you not think we should have been informed of this by Race Passion?
The garage section of the vehicle was to accomodate 3 large dogs, i was very specific about that, add an extra tyre and its now impossible to fit 3 cages.
I spoke to the previous owners of the vehicle and the garage that serviced it until Jan, prior to its sale to Race Passion the axles were the same, the spec sheet from Race Passion is dated 2nd Feb so it would seem clear to me they changed it without informing us.

I will post the Iveco report as soon as i am able to along with photo's of the other problems, my camper looks great on their website but all the photo's on there are taken from a distance.

Last edited by lmorton; 09-05-2010 at 5:48 PM.
# 9
DCFC79
Old 09-05-2010, 4:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorton View Post
I spoke to the previous owners of the vehicle and the garage that serviced it until Jan,
you said the camper vn was being built in your first post, this to me suggests it was built from scratch so to speak so how can there be a previous owner

im not being picky but theres a contradiction
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCFC79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
lmorton
Old 09-05-2010, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I apologise, should have said source a van and convert to a campervan rather than - Commisioned them to source and build a campervan.

The previous owners had used it as a van only. Hope that makes it clearer.
# 11
DCFC79
Old 09-05-2010, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I apologise, should have said source a van and convert to a campervan rather than - Commisioned them to source and build a campervan.

The previous owners had used it as a van only. Hope that makes it clearer.
yes i understand now

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to DCFC79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Mankysteve
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM

If there are legal proceeding under way neither of you should be discussing this on the internet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mankysteve For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Equaliser123
Old 11-05-2010, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankysteve View Post
If there are legal proceeding under way neither of you should be discussing this on the internet.
No reason why not...
The Following User Says Thank You to Equaliser123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
elephant-astic
Old 11-05-2010, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
The worst of the damage was not noticed until we took the vehicle to Iveco to have a new tyre as one was bald, they pointed out that our wheel nuts were not the same on the back as they were the front and conducted a saftey report, the back axle is not even for the model of van we have, that part alone costs over 2,000 and that's without vat or labour, the rest of the problems 'so far' were found by Iveco and are not something your everyday member of the public would be aware of. As soon as i am able to i will post the Iveco saftey report.

In total 12,500 was paid. 500 as a booking deposit, 6,000 to commence work, 6,000 on collection. That was also a carry on as he would not accept a cheque, bankers cheque or credit card payment for the final 6,000 it had to be a direct transfer into his bank account. I live at the top of Scotland and the van was in Wales. Trading standards inform me that the company is liable up to six months after collection.
IMO It sounds like you've got a pretty strong case, I imagine it's just going to be a matter of going through the a*** ache of getting it all sorted; it doesn't sound like they've got a leg to stand on!
Stupid of the company to take such a difficult attitude to paying up when they're so clearly in the wrong (from what you describe). I hope you manage to get things sorted out swiftly, and if not I'd be sure to make sure that word of their shoddy service & attitude to customers gets spread around sites like this, and UK motoring sites! I guess you'd have to be careful what you say, to avoid leaving yourself open, but it's only fair that people who were thinking of using them know what they may be getting themselves into!
The Following User Says Thank You to elephant-astic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
lmorton
Old 21-05-2010, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have been advised by trading standards only to speak to Paul formally so i hope you understand me not responding to his post.
If you care to go to mxtrax forums and look for the section motocross shops you will note there are several threads about race passion and plenty of customers who are not satisfied. The section moderator has now made a sticky about the company, if you follow the thread there is a link to my blog with photo's and reports that you should view as even if i walk away from this with nothing i need people to know about this company so they do not go through the same thing.

Trading standards inform me that so long as what i put online is fact there is no problem letting the public know. I await the report about the interior which is as bad as the base vehicle, i will add it to my blog next week.
# 16
lmorton
Old 03-06-2010, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am unable to post links as a new member but if you view Trumpton's post above you will note there is a link to my blog.

Today i recieved the interior workmanship report and have added it to my blog, perhaps someone with the facility to post photo's would care to add the report to this thread for me? Alternatively you may all view the report on my blog. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmorton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
trumpton
Old 10-06-2010, 5:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

All those faults were noted after a one hour inspection... and a closer inspection is needed to ascertain the full problems and extent of remedial work required.

The OP's blog also has a pic of the estimate for repair work: almost 4000!!!

How the bloke has the cheek to come on MSE and claim his work is top notch, I really don't know. I hope people considering using Race Passions will google it thoroughly and see all the negative stuff out there about this company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trumpton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
lmorton
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Race Passion have been kicking up quite a fuss about my blog and posts, they have been in touch with the company who done the interior report and the company now advise me that the report is for myself and trading standards only and not brought online.

I have today removed it from my blog, this makes me sad as when people do research online how can they make an informed choice of which company to use when said company gets all posts removed or off google view.
# 19
marleyboy
Old 09-07-2010, 1:48 AM

PLEASE NOTE - In accordance with MSE Rules, you need permission to post on this forum if you represent a company, for this reason I am reporting your posts to MSE.

You may well be a reputable company, but without permission from MSE, you are not allowed to promote, commercialize OR represent your company. MSE should have no issue in allowing you to post, but it needs to be within the rules n regulations of the MSE team.

Quote:
How do I get a right of reply on what's been said about my company?
If you're from a company, have seen a post you feel is defamatory or abusive and would like the right of reply please email the Forum Team at abuse@moneysavingexpert.com to ask.
A member of the MSE Team will carry out checks to confirm that you are authorised to represent the company in question.
Provided you have authority to represent your company, you may either be asked to give a statement, which one of the MSE Team will post on your behalf in reply, or be given permission to post directly on the specific thread.
Where permission has been given for you to post directly on a thread, a note from the MSE Team will appear on the thread confirming this.
If someone has posted claiming to be from a company but this has not been followed by a MSE Team note confirming authorisation please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
To be fair to this company, I can only find one complaint online (via the OP), I have searched around Google but cannot find ANY other complaints regarding this company, this is not to say there arent any, but usually if a company is a scam, con or shabby business, the internet is buzzing with information (good or bad), to give potential customers a better idea of a companies reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpton View Post
I hope people considering using Race Passions will google it thoroughly and see all the negative stuff out there about this company.
It would be helpful if you could post a few of them NOT directly related to the OPs case, as I cannot seem to find them.
1+1+1=1
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.

Last edited by marleyboy; 09-07-2010 at 2:22 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marleyboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
trumpton
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There are a few things mentioned on Moto X forums, though they tend to be brief on detail and in language unrepeatable here.

There is a suggestion here that two weeeks ago, Race Passions posted on the mxtrak Moto Cross forum pretending to be a satisfied customer:

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276447

The Moderator posted: "Just to let everyone know - 'derby MXer' registered on the forum using a 'racepassion.co.uk' email address. That basically tells you all you need to know. I've seen some pretty shabby attempts at deception over the years, but this one is right up there with them."

This doesn't do much to bolster my confidence that Paul is an honest trader with one dissatisfied customer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trumpton For This Useful Post: Show me >>