Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • richard9991
    • By richard9991 3rd May 10, 8:04 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    richard9991
    • 3rd May 10, 8:04 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 8:04 PM
    I'm wanting to send some money from my Santander bank account to a Lloyds TSB and HSBC account via online bank transfer.

How long should it take to complete?

I know a couple of years ago it was 3 or 4 days, but I seem to remember reading a year or two ago that the process was going to be speeded up.
    Originally posted by GSDog
    Should be pretty instant but can take upto 2 hours with faster payments
    • stclair
    • By stclair 3rd May 10, 8:07 PM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 3,346 Thanks
    stclair
    • 3rd May 10, 8:07 PM
    3 working days im under the impression santander do not send faster payments at present.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • buses7675
    • By buses7675 3rd May 10, 8:07 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    buses7675
    I'm wanting to send some money from my Santander bank account to a Lloyds TSB and HSBC account via online bank transfer.

How long should it take to complete?

I know a couple of years ago it was 3 or 4 days, but I seem to remember reading a year or two ago that the process was going to be speeded up.
    Sadly, as yet Santander don't send payments using Faster Payments at the moment (most other banks do in some form, even A&L which is part of Santander, but even they only allow £250 per transaction), so it'll still take 3 working days.

The other way of course would arrive instantly as HSBC and LTSB do send payments via FP and Santander do accept FP (all parts of Santander accept FP payments, except Cahoot accounts I believe)

Thank
    Last edited by buses7675; 03-05-2010 at 8:10 PM.
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • GSDog
    • 3rd May 10, 9:49 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 9:49 PM
    Sadly, as yet Santander don't send payments using Faster Payments at the moment (most other banks do in some form, even A&L which is part of Santander, but even they only allow £250 per transaction), so it'll still take 3 working days.

The other way of course would arrive instantly as HSBC and LTSB do send payments via FP and Santander do accept FP (all parts of Santander accept FP payments, except Cahoot accounts I believe)

Thank
    Originally posted by buses7675
    Thanks, that's annoying that Santander are not using it.

Do you know where I can find a list of banks who are using Faster Payments?
  • agsnu
    • 3rd May 10, 9:53 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 9:53 PM
    Do you know where I can find a list of banks who are using Faster Payments?
    http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/faster_payments_service/value_limits/
  • zoo20000uk
    • 2nd Jul 10, 7:54 AM
    My payments are quick!
    • 2nd Jul 10, 7:54 AM
    I pay money into my son's bank account with the Natwest. It's there by the next day. I was surprised to begin with because it used to take 4 working days. I used to be an Abbey National customer until the changeover. Also, it used to take a while for payments to show on my statement page, even though the balance would change immediately. Now, when I make payments, they are listed as soon as I go back to view my statement page...just seconds after confirming. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by zoo20000uk; 02-07-2010 at 8:01 AM.
    • smjxm09
    • By smjxm09 2nd Jul 10, 5:33 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    smjxm09
    • 2nd Jul 10, 5:33 PM
    • 2nd Jul 10, 5:33 PM
    I set up a transfer at 10pm last night (Thursday) from the Halifax to Intelligent Finance. Both are part of the Bank of Scotland Group.

The earliest the Halifax would allow the money to leave my account was Monday then another 3 days to arrive at Intelligent Finance. 40 years ago it took 4 days to put men on the moon yet in 2010 it takes a week to electronically transfer funds between Bank of Scotland Banks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Jul 10, 3:47 PM
    • 37,065 Posts
    • 40,993 Thanks
    G_M
    • 3rd Jul 10, 3:47 PM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 3:47 PM
    For a list of which banks send or receive faster payments see this thread.
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 3rd Jul 10, 4:03 PM
    • 8,424 Posts
    • 5,997 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    The earliest the Halifax would allow the money to leave my account was Monday then another 3 days to arrive at Intelligent Finance.
    Originally posted by smjxm09
    Halifax do remit by FP - but the availability of the service is patchy.
  • allan673
    when i transfer from hsbc to first direct its instant. probably because they are the same group.
    • preable
    • By preable 4th Jul 10, 4:26 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    preable
    knowing santander 3 days hahaha
  • mintrubber
    I apologise for adding to an older thread, however, I am still unclear on the step-by-step process that banks follow for on-line, inter-bank transfers. I am particularly curious as to what happens to transferred sums which do not qualify for Faster Payments (and are therefore subject to several days processing time), but which are immediately withdrawn from the initiating bank account when a transfer is made. Where are such amounts held and by whom? For example, I made a transfer of 25k yesterday from Halifax to a newly opened Santander account. The money has been withdrawn from Halifax, but it seems that I have no indication of where it currently is. It is certainly not now in the Santander account! Being that it is a new account, I am a bit worried about it.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 31st Aug 11, 9:36 PM
    • 15,649 Posts
    • 11,349 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Please start your own new thread, you'll have a much better chance of getting replies as people don't like old threads being resurrected.

Edit: Having had a quick look at your question the answer is that it's now in the BACS process. £25K is above the maximum allowed for FP from Halifax. Have a look at this for info on how it works BACS
    Last edited by agrinnall; 31-08-2011 at 9:39 PM. Reason: Answered question
  • M K
    Santander
    I recently moved to Santander and discovered this annoying fact. They do FPS transfers up to a maximum of £250 or £300. However, a normal normal transfer takes 3-4 WORKING days.

It's faster to walk to a branch, withdraw the cash, and pop into a brand of the destination bank. Bonkers isn't it?

Has anyone heard why this is still the case? Nearly all other banks are part of the FPS.
  • BAA1
    I recently moved to Santander and discovered this annoying fact. They do FPS transfers up to a maximum of £250 or £300. However, a normal normal transfer takes 3-4 WORKING days.

It's faster to walk to a branch, withdraw the cash, and pop into a brand of the destination bank. Bonkers isn't it?

Has anyone heard why this is still the case? Nearly all other banks are part of the FPS.
    Originally posted by M K
    A Santander Faster Payment will go through the same day (usually in around 2 hours)

If the amount is outside the limits, then it will go via BACS which is at least 3 days, just like all the other banks.

Yes, the Santander FP limit on the amount is lower than many other banks, but you must have known this when you joined Santander, if you didn't know this, then you should have read the T&Cs.
    • GentleGiant
    • By GentleGiant 18th Nov 11, 12:51 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    GentleGiant
    MK,

Santander is between £300 & £1000

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&cid=123788 6380034&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_A COM_TemplateA1

Only problem is - which account is £300 and which is £1000 - best bet is to send 3 or 4 payments at say £300 each rather than 1 at £1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,783Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin