IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
broken oven in rented house
Closed Thread
Views: 5,107
# 1
dannyjebb
Old 02-05-2010, 8:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default broken oven in rented house

Hi we have lived in our rented house since December. Yesterday the main oven stopped working, the top oven, grill and hob all work fine but when we turn on the main oven the ignition just keeps clicking but doesnt light and then there is a strong smell of gas.

My question is who would have to sort out this problem? me or the landlord? I have looked through our contract but cant see no mention of this in there. Dont want to ring to landlord to tell him if I am gonna have to sort it out anyway.

Thanks for any advice
# 2
new_home_owner
Old 02-05-2010, 9:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Landlords responsibility unless you have broke it.
# 3
hermum
Old 02-05-2010, 9:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Have you tried lighting the oven with a match? It sounds as though it's just the ignition gone.
# 4
Mum_of_3
Old 02-05-2010, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It sounds as if the ignition has gone. I would think it's the landlord's responsibility to repair it, however it may take more than a few days, because of the Bank Holiday

So in the meantime, I would try to light it with a gas lighter you can buy them in a supermarket for cheap.

M_o_3
# 5
G_M
Old 02-05-2010, 1:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Contact your LL, in writing.
The address should be on your contract.
If not, and there is an agency, the agency has 21 days from receipt of your written request for his address to provide it.
Or write to the agents.

However, please note:
Unless the Tenancy Agreement makes express provision, the LL does not need to repair a cooker. Read the underlined part of s.11(1) (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985) below:

Repairing obligations in short leases.

In a lease to which this section applies there is implied a covenant by the lessor:
(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),
(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and
(c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

So unless the lease specifically states the LL will repair, maintain, replace the oven, he doesn't have to. However many LLs do not know this.

Or they know it, but like me repair/replace anyway as part of good maintenance, good management, and good LL/tenant relations.

Finally, however, the fault may invalidate the Gas Safety Certificate (worth pointing out to the LL) and he has a duty of care.
The Following User Says Thank You to G_M For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
DawnW
Old 02-05-2010, 2:21 PM

As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.

Last edited by DawnW; 02-05-2010 at 2:23 PM.
# 7
dannyjebb
Old 02-05-2010, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all your replies We can still cope with the top oven to cook bits for the next few days. Will give the landlord a ring on Tuesday and let him know. (dont want to spoil his bank holiday weekend)
# 8
terryw
Old 02-05-2010, 3:48 PM

Many oven lighters work from batteries. Check that this is not the simple answer to the problem.
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
# 9
BitterAndTwisted
Old 02-05-2010, 3:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Where repairs are concerned all communication with the landlord or their agent should be in writing only. Phoning or texting in the short-term might make sense to you now but in the long-term it may not
The Following User Says Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
N79
Old 03-05-2010, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.
Wrong - G_M has posted the true state of affairs. Most, if not all, decent LL's will maintain the oven though as most houses are impossible to let without one.
# 11
Mankysteve
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Is it a fully furnished/ part furnished/not furnished let?
# 12
dannyjebb
Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

erm it was stated as unfurnished on the letting agreement but we got a few bits like table and chairs for the kitchen and all the kitchen appliances.
Closed Thread