Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 2nd May 10, 8:25 AM
    • 282Posts
    • 63Thanks
    dannyjebb
    broken oven in rented house
    • 2nd May 10, 8:25 AM
    broken oven in rented house 2nd May 10 at 8:25 AM
    Hi we have lived in our rented house since December. Yesterday the main oven stopped working, the top oven, grill and hob all work fine but when we turn on the main oven the ignition just keeps clicking but doesnt light and then there is a strong smell of gas.

My question is who would have to sort out this problem? me or the landlord? I have looked through our contract but cant see no mention of this in there. Dont want to ring to landlord to tell him if I am gonna have to sort it out anyway.

Thanks for any advice
Page 1
  • new_home_owner
    • 2nd May 10, 9:04 AM
    • 2nd May 10, 9:04 AM
    Landlords responsibility unless you have broke it.
    • hermum
    • By hermum 2nd May 10, 9:27 AM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 6,890 Thanks
    hermum
    • 2nd May 10, 9:27 AM
    • 2nd May 10, 9:27 AM
    Have you tried lighting the oven with a match? It sounds as though it's just the ignition gone.
  • Mum_of_3
    • 2nd May 10, 1:09 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 1:09 PM
    It sounds as if the ignition has gone. I would think it's the landlord's responsibility to repair it, however it may take more than a few days, because of the Bank Holiday

So in the meantime, I would try to light it with a gas lighter you can buy them in a supermarket for cheap.

M_o_3
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd May 10, 1:15 PM
    • 35,084 Posts
    • 37,907 Thanks
    G_M
    • 2nd May 10, 1:15 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 1:15 PM
    Contact your LL, in writing.
    The address should be on your contract.
    If not, and there is an agency, the agency has 21 days from receipt of your written request for his address to provide it.
    Or write to the agents.

However, please note:
    Unless the Tenancy Agreement makes express provision, the LL does not need to repair a cooker. Read the underlined part of s.11(1) (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985) below:

Repairing obligations in short leases.

In a lease to which this section applies there is implied a covenant by the lessor:
    (a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),
    (b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and
    (c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

So unless the lease specifically states the LL will repair, maintain, replace the oven, he doesn't have to. However many LLs do not know this.

Or they know it, but like me repair/replace anyway as part of good maintenance, good management, and good LL/tenant relations.

Finally, however, the fault may invalidate the Gas Safety Certificate (worth pointing out to the LL) and he has a duty of care.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 2nd May 10, 2:21 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 29,068 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 2nd May 10, 2:21 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 2:21 PM
    As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.
    Last edited by DawnW; 02-05-2010 at 2:23 PM.
    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 2nd May 10, 3:44 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    dannyjebb
    • 2nd May 10, 3:44 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 3:44 PM
    Thanks for all your replies We can still cope with the top oven to cook bits for the next few days. Will give the landlord a ring on Tuesday and let him know. (dont want to spoil his bank holiday weekend)
    • terryw
    • By terryw 2nd May 10, 3:48 PM
    • 3,821 Posts
    • 5,979 Thanks
    terryw
    • 2nd May 10, 3:48 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 3:48 PM
    Many oven lighters work from batteries. Check that this is not the simple answer to the problem.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 2nd May 10, 3:51 PM
    • 2nd May 10, 3:51 PM
    Where repairs are concerned all communication with the landlord or their agent should be in writing only. Phoning or texting in the short-term might make sense to you now but in the long-term it may not
  • N79
    As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Wrong - G_M has posted the true state of affairs. Most, if not all, decent LL's will maintain the oven though as most houses are impossible to let without one.
    • Mankysteve
    • By Mankysteve 3rd May 10, 10:01 AM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mankysteve
    Is it a fully furnished/ part furnished/not furnished let?
    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 3rd May 10, 12:18 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    dannyjebb
    erm it was stated as unfurnished on the letting agreement but we got a few bits like table and chairs for the kitchen and all the kitchen appliances.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

3,536Users online

Martin's Twitter