Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Charterhouse Aquatics - poor customer service (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Charterhouse Aquatics - poor customer service
Views: 7,098
# 1
cybergibbons
Old 29-04-2010, 8:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs down Charterhouse Aquatics - poor customer service

I just have to post this review of the customer service I received with an order at Charterhouse Aquatics over Christmas.

I ordered about 150 worth of stuff from them, called to check it was all in stock and could be delivered before Christmas. They said yes, so I placed the order online. It was on next day delivery, I took the next day off.

It didn't arrive.

I called the couriers, who assured me it would be out for delivery the next day. So I took the next day off.

It didn't arrive.

I called the couriers, they said there had been a problem and it would be on the pre-1030 delivery the next day.

It didn't arrive.

I couldn't be bothered to speak to the couriers anymore (Lee Couriers) as they seemed to just lie constantly.

I then spent the next 6 days trying to get a response from Charterhouse Aquatics. Eventually I spoke to someone, and I told them to sort the problem out or cancel the order. The online shopping experience is decided not only by the goods but by the delivery service as well.

On two further occasions the delivery didn't come when promised. One of these days I didn't even bother staying in as I knew they wouldn't be coming.

I contacted Charterhouse Aquatics to say I would contact the card company for a chargeback.

The package arrived the next day. The box was badly damaged, but nothing was broken. An item was missing - it could have fallen out of the damaged box.

I asked for them to send out another, they replied 3 days later saying they would.

A week on, no replacement item, I contacted them again. 2 days later, they reply saying another will be sent out.

This arrives 3 days later.

It was over 4 weeks from the beginning to end.

By far the worst customer service I have had shopping online:
  • Uncontactable by phone and e-mail
  • Unreliable couriers who say they will deliver but don't
  • Bad packaging
  • Couriers damage packaging
  • Missing items
  • Don't seem to care attitude
  • No apology or offer of compensation

I'd hate to see what they are like if I wanted to return an item.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
nuttyles
Old 04-05-2010, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergibbons View Post
I just have to post this review of the customer service I received with an order at Charterhouse Aquatics over Christmas.

I ordered about 150 worth of stuff from them, called to check it was all in stock and could be delivered before Christmas. They said yes, so I placed the order online. It was on next day delivery, I took the next day off.

It didn't arrive.

I called the couriers, who assured me it would be out for delivery the next day. So I took the next day off.

It didn't arrive.

I called the couriers, they said there had been a problem and it would be on the pre-1030 delivery the next day.

It didn't arrive.

I couldn't be bothered to speak to the couriers anymore (Lee Couriers) as they seemed to just lie constantly.

I then spent the next 6 days trying to get a response from Charterhouse Aquatics. Eventually I spoke to someone, and I told them to sort the problem out or cancel the order. The online shopping experience is decided not only by the goods but by the delivery service as well.

On two further occasions the delivery didn't come when promised. One of these days I didn't even bother staying in as I knew they wouldn't be coming.

I contacted Charterhouse Aquatics to say I would contact the card company for a chargeback.

The package arrived the next day. The box was badly damaged, but nothing was broken. An item was missing - it could have fallen out of the damaged box.

I asked for them to send out another, they replied 3 days later saying they would.

A week on, no replacement item, I contacted them again. 2 days later, they reply saying another will be sent out.

• Bad packaging
  • Missing items
I just want to say that i have nothing but praise for charter-houseaquatics my oh put an order over the net with them on weds but was informed 1 bit was out of stock til friday but if he wanted the other bits sent out they would which he agreed to.On thurs when delivery came there was only one box so he phoned them will admit sometimes it takes a cpl of times to get through but did he explained only one box had come they phoned couriers who had split the parcel for some unknown reason they phoned straight back to us and let ur know,the other parcel turned up 2hrs later.we had arranged to pick the other bit up as they are only 30mins up road from us but oh had to work on fri and as i dont drive i would not had made it there before they closed so arranged to go today to collect when I got there the 2 young gents working there was helpful and polite I needed another silicone whilst there and they gave me it free of charge for the inconveniance caused so they get a thumbs up from me
# 3
No1
Old 04-05-2010, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am surprised by this, I have used charterhouse aquatics many times without any problems, the only issue I have is with Royal Mail who they use for smaller items, these usually take up to a week after dispatch and a "sorry you were out" card - without knocking.
The Following User Says Thank You to No1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cybergibbons
Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

From people I have spoken to, it seems that you've got about equal chance of getting bad service from them.

Really, a simple apology wouldn't have cost them anything, and then there wouldn't be 4 results on the first page of google for "charterhouse aquatics" describing bad service.
# 5
nuttyles
Old 05-05-2010, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up why did you order from them?

Quote:
From people I have spoken to, it seems that you've got about equal chance of getting bad service from them.

Really, a simple apology wouldn't have cost them anything, and then there wouldn't be 4 results on the first page of google for "charterhouse aquatics" describing bad service.

Cybergibbons if you found quotes sating bad service then why did you order from them ? I did mention to the 2 young men when i went to collect that they was being slated and was told there is a similar website to them as they get lots of phone calls off ppl asking where thier order is and upon checking it is not even placed with charterhouse as i said before ive got nothing but praise and will defo be ordering of them again
# 6
cybergibbons
Old 05-05-2010, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyles View Post
Cybergibbons if you found quotes sating bad service then why did you order from them ? I did mention to the 2 young men when i went to collect that they was being slated and was told there is a similar website to them as they get lots of phone calls off ppl asking where thier order is and upon checking it is not even placed with charterhouse as i said before ive got nothing but praise and will defo be ordering of them again
I didn't find quotes about bad service before I ordered. I ordered after checking them out, and they seemed to be fine. We didn't have an aquarium before this point, so I wasn't in the habit of talking to people about aquarium suppliers.

I've also ordered from other companies who check out OK, but something goes wrong, and the customer service is pretty bad. But at least in the end, most of these companies apologise or offer a token gesture.

Now we have an aquarium, I speak to other people about it, and have heard from several people that their order has turned up fine. But I also hear about those who have experienced:
  • The order was very badly packaged and it was surprising that it survived
  • Their order took a lot longer to arrive than expected (several weeks, not days)
  • The product was boxed, but looked used or damaged.
  • No one would speak to them about the problem.
It's when you try to sort out these problems that they are no good.

I rate customer service from when things go wrong. If an order arrives next day, undamaged, as specified, I don't have to deal with customer service.

If it doesn't go right, then it's their job to make it right.

I realise all of these issues could be down to the courier. If so, find another courier.

Also, unless they are having their calls and e-mails intercepted by this other company that uses the couriers in the unit next door to them and sends invoices with their website on them, I don't think I am dealing with the wrong company.

Like I say, the apology costs nothing, having results on google about the bad customer service at Charterhouse Aquatics, the poor communication at Charterhouse Aquatics, and the awful couriers that Charterhouse Aquatics use that means your order can arrive weeks later is an expensive trade off.

Last edited by cybergibbons; 05-05-2010 at 3:52 PM.
# 7
NewMumSarah
Old 12-05-2010, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I ordered from Charterhouse late April, and have still not received my full order. Their website says in stock but they don't have the stock. No communication, no continuity of service and a complete lack of attention to my order.
I have a faulty piece of equipment that I need to return, but no returns information (I've requested in writing three times for this).
I've now asked for a refund and will be letting everyone know about the poor customer service I received. Previously not found any posts bar this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewMumSarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
reefbloke
Old 01-10-2010, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have spent 1000s of pounds with this company and have had both very poor service and very good service, BUT I WILL NOT BE USING THEM AGAIN, why? well a company is as good as its after-sales service and how it deals with problems (once you get the product that is). I spent another 150 on a filter and bits and bobs, yep they came all packed OK and everything there (for once). So two days later I fitted all the pipework etc and filled the tank, tried to start the pump and nothing!!!! a quick strip down highlighted the prob, the impeller was broken! So I rang them (this costs you too). Oh you will have to send it back at your cost and we'll send it to eheim so that they can inspect it and then they can replace it to you, but we would rather you sent it direct to eheim,, WHAT the hell are you talking about I said, its brand new from you and the contract exist between us etc etc etc and what about the DSR and the sales of gooods act, etc etc. Anyway I sent it back at 8 and 8 days have gone by and not a word (no reply to emails etc). I went and got one from my LFS due to there being fish in the tank. What about all the time I spent on the installation and stripping the installation down again. I know I will have to contact my credit card company to get my money back and what about the postage, will they pay it back??? lets wait and see, at the end of the day its too much trouble to go to the SCC but I will be contacting my local Trading Standards if they dont pay me back the P&P. Its up to you where and how you spend your money and are charterhouse any worse than the rest of the internet companies???? they all seem to want to hind behind their T&C which are null and void if a statutory breach occurs but try telling them that, best to pay that bit more and nip to your local shop for whatever you want, but thats a different story hey!!!!!!!!!
# 9
dmg24
Old 27-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Charterhouse, please ask permission from the MSE Team before posting further. You can contact them by clicking the Abuse button on your post.
# 10
cybergibbons
Old 14-09-2011, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I didn't notice that Charterhouse Aquatics had tried posting on here. I wonder what they said?

Last edited by cybergibbons; 15-09-2011 at 4:52 PM.
# 11
MJS502
Old 05-01-2012, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just ordered from Charterhouse Aquatics (before I noticed this topic!), items arrived within 2 days, notice that they seem to have changed their courier firm.
# 12
fatfei
Old 10-02-2012, 7:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default problem for me too.

They left over 100 pounds worth of stuff on my door step and when my item went wrong after a month they tried to make me take a repair rather than exchange and refused to pay return charges even though the purchasing customer isn't meant to incurre costs. That being said the delivery problems are more to do with the courier and having been to the store the guy i spoke to was very polite and helpful.

Quote:

It didn't arrive.

It didn't arrive.

It didn't arrive.

• Bad packaging
  • Missing items

Last edited by fatfei; 10-02-2012 at 2:31 PM.
# 13
Steppphhhen
Old 30-06-2012, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Alright I suppose

Just spent 100 with them. The order arrived missing one item. I emailed them, they said sorry and dispatched the item. It arrived about 5 days later. Not the end of the world really.
# 14
MylesRoberts
Old 12-02-2013, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I can't think of an aquatics shop that offer worse service. I'm in the process of getting a refund on 377.00 worth of goods. I've waited weeks for them to collate my order still no luck. They offered to send part of it but without the important parts I can't use any of my order. Avoid them.
# 15
Hoof Hearted
Old 13-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I ordered some fish from them but they tasted horrible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoof Hearted For This Useful Post: Show me >>