IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Matalan loyalty card ?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,526
# 1
jonty1970
Old 28-04-2010, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Matalan loyalty card ?

Just wondered about this loyalty card and the change in the way it's used.
I bought a top last week. Sales assistant asked for my card, I didn't have it and she still sold me the top.
This week, bought a few things for my son, sales assistant asks for card, I didn't have it on me.
She then asked for my name and postcode to check if I have one. She said "You haven't lost it have you" as if it's the crown jewels!
Then she says about if I have to get a refund, "it goes back on your card" ???
Is this a new rule now, that you have to have your card all the time? I have hardly used the one I have (that's why it's shoved in a drawer somewhere) but now they are keen on everyone having one!
# 2
MrsBartolozzi
Old 28-04-2010, 8:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

From what I was told you don't need the card for most things. Sometimes they have offers for cardholders only and so you'd not get them without the card.
I think each individual cashier is encouraged to have a high swipe rate and so they want you to have a card or get one.

It's only a game
~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBartolozzi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jonty1970
Old 28-04-2010, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

She was really keen to get my details. Maybe the staff have been told to use them and sign people up.
# 4
Storck
Old 29-04-2010, 1:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I always thought you needed a card to shop there? Has it changed or am I just confused?
# 5
inca
Old 29-04-2010, 2:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When I have forgotten my card before they took my name and postcode to confirm I had one. Did you pay by debit card, just wondering if she meant that your refund would have to go back on your debit card as they won't give you cash if you paid by card. It's a while since I bought anything from Matalan but as far as I was aware the cards never 'carried' cash amounts on them but as I say it's been a while so have no idea if this has changed.
# 6
FatAndy
Old 29-04-2010, 9:11 AM

My wife used to be a deputy manager in a Matalan and according to her the only reason you have to apply for a membership is so they can get your name and address so they can send you catalogues and the like through the post.
There is nothing better in life
Than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro
On a Saturday night instead of going to the pub.

# 7
pimento
Old 29-04-2010, 10:40 AM

I quite like getting my Matalan mailouts and my birthday gift voucher. [/sad]
# 8
shellsuit
Old 29-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty1970 View Post
Just wondered about this loyalty card and the change in the way it's used.
I bought a top last week. Sales assistant asked for my card, I didn't have it and she still sold me the top.
This week, bought a few things for my son, sales assistant asks for card, I didn't have it on me.
She then asked for my name and postcode to check if I have one. She said "You haven't lost it have you" as if it's the crown jewels!
Then she says about if I have to get a refund, "it goes back on your card" ???
Is this a new rule now, that you have to have your card all the time? I have hardly used the one I have (that's why it's shoved in a drawer somewhere) but now they are keen on everyone having one!
Yes, your debit or credit card, not your Matalan card.

If you can't pay for something with a Matalan card, how can you be refunded onto it?
Smoked my last stinking fag on the 4th July 2012 @ 3pm
# 9
SallyForth
Old 29-04-2010, 12:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have had a Matalan card for years, I don't really get why, they certainly are not loyalty cards, I have never got anything as a reward. I don't receive a catalogue. I assume they use them to just track your spending habits somehow.

Last edited by SallyForth; 29-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SallyForth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
redsetter03
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i agree with SallyForth- i've had mine for over 10 years and never had a thing from them, not an e-mail or a catalogue
# 11
purcel
Old 04-05-2010, 9:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
My wife used to be a deputy manager in a Matalan and according to her the only reason you have to apply for a membership is so they can get your name and address so they can send you catalogues and the like through the post.
Well, I've signed up for a card 3 years ago, received the card but nothing else since, so really, don't see the point!
The Following User Says Thank You to purcel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
snapping_crocodile
Old 04-05-2010, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've had my card for many years and never had any correspondence from them. As others have said I thought you had to have the card to beable to shop there?
# 13
SandC
Old 04-05-2010, 1:26 PM

When the store first opened it was run a bit like a cash and carry. Everyone had to be a member, hence being issued with a card. To get a membership, it was extended to more than your usual cash and carry card to all employees of businesses who had joined up. You also used to have to add on VAT at the till.

Eventually they included the VAT and seems like you now not only need to go through your employer to join but you don't have to join at all.
# 14
mshear
Old 14-05-2010, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, I work at Matalan and can hopefully offer some insight here.

The card is essentially useless. There are certain offers that are only available with it, and there are seasonal vouchers and prize draws, but you don't get any points and there's usually not any money off. (One important exception: if you are a student using the NUS extra card, we can't give you student discount unless you have the card). And yes, it acts as a second proof of purchase, but I don't think that's a huge selling point.

I don't see much of a benefit to the company in doling out cards, but they have just introduced a new policy that has really !!!!ed off most of us shop assistants. Basically, we can only have a 10% card bypass rate. So if I serve 10 people, I can only bypass, or serve without a Matalan card, once. If I bypass any more than that, I get hauled into the office and warned and my manager bangs on and on about what a terrible thing this is. If I get warned enough times, I get the sack.

Loads of people have genuine reasons for not having the card. Maybe they're travelling from abroad and won't ever shop at Matalan again. Or maybe they just want to buy their stuff and get out. I fully empathise with that. But I'm a student just about to graduate and get my first real job, and I need a decent recommendation from my manager (i. e. no warnings or disciplinaries). So I become the !!!!!y sales assistant who pushes a pointless loyalty card onto people. I hate it. A lot of my colleagues are in the same boat. I'm just happy I won't have to do it for much longer.

So if you are asked by a miserable-looking assistant if you've got a card, we're not trying to be horrible, we're just trying to survive. Please consider signing up. It takes a minute and you might be helping some poor sod to not get the sack.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mshear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Buffyslay
Old 14-05-2010, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshear View Post

I don't see much of a benefit to the company in doling out cards, but they have just introduced a new policy that has really !!!!ed off most of us shop assistants. Basically, we can only have a 10% card bypass rate. So if I serve 10 people, I can only bypass, or serve without a Matalan card, once. If I bypass any more than that, I get hauled into the office and warned and my manager bangs on and on about what a terrible thing this is. If I get warned enough times, I get the sack.

Loads of people have genuine reasons for not having the card. Maybe they're travelling from abroad and won't ever shop at Matalan again. Or maybe they just want to buy their stuff and get out. I fully empathise with that. But I'm a student just about to graduate and get my first real job, and I need a decent recommendation from my manager (i. e. no warnings or disciplinaries). So I become the !!!!!y sales assistant who pushes a pointless loyalty card onto people. I hate it. A lot of my colleagues are in the same boat. I'm just happy I won't have to do it for much longer.

So if you are asked by a miserable-looking assistant if you've got a card, we're not trying to be horrible, we're just trying to survive. Please consider signing up. It takes a minute and you might be helping some poor sod to not get the sack.

nicely done post - its disgusting that you are being treated like this in this day and age - i remember when you werent allowed to buy anything if you didnt have a card at Matalan, i used to re-sign up every time (not that i ever bought much) but when i did - new card everytime that went in the bin

we have toooooo many loyalty cards

Willow: I knew it, I knew it, well not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
# 16
hannahrosestringer
Old 07-07-2010, 2:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
I quite like getting my Matalan mailouts and my birthday gift voucher. [/sad]
birthday gift voucher? do they still do these?
# 17
BlueAngelCV
Old 08-07-2010, 8:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to BlueAngelCV

When I worked at Matalan you had to have a card to shop there. If you'd forgotten it they could find your details by taking your postcode but you had to have one. It only cost 1 to join and there would be people on the door asking whether you had one on the way in.
BlueAngelCV

2 loans (01/04/09 & 01/02/11) 3 credit cards (01/12/10, 31/12/11 & 31/12/11), 2 overdrafts (31/12/11 & 31/12/11) & 2 storecards (01/07/10 & 31/12/11) down, 1 loan to go
Closed Thread