Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    you_wicked_gay
    Clothing for Interview on JSA
    • 26th Apr 10, 8:13 PM
    Clothing for Interview on JSA 26th Apr 10 at 8:13 PM
    I went to sign on today, and to see my personal advisor at the job center. Whilst I was there she set up an interview for me for Thursday.

I have no clothes suitable to attend the interview in, and as you can imagine, with only JSA as my income, money is tight!

I rang my Mum to talk about it and she mentioned that the Job Center can help with money towards clothes for interviews - and it reminded me of something I was told at the beginning of my claim which I briefly remember.

I've googled to look for something about it, and have found that it is called the 'Advisor Discretionary Fund'. I have the phone number to call in the morning to see if I can get help towards costs. I'm worried that it is such short notice, as I only got the interview set up today, and it is on Thursday - giving me 2 days to buy clothes.

Does anyone know how this ADF works, or what it entails?
    Proud Weight Watcher
    Start Weight: 15st 13lb Current Weight: 10st 5lb
    Total Loss to Date: 5st 8lb
    - - -
    Current 2011 Goal: Lose 8lb by 25th December
    Loss This Week: -3 Total Loss 2011: -3
Page 1
  • dugdale
    • 26th Apr 10, 8:37 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 8:37 PM
    I see that you live in Coventry, may I ask which job centre you sign at please ?
    What happens at my job centre is that you would make an appointment to speak to your adviser who would ask for info about your interview. If ADF was agreed you would go to Outfit at Central 6 retail park and pick suitable clothes as agreed with your adviser. Outfit would provide you with an invoice which you would return to your adviser who would give you a voucher entitling you to collect the goods. It is possible to do this all on the same day however can't be guaranteed.
  • you_wicked_gay
    • 26th Apr 10, 8:52 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 8:52 PM
    I sign at Coventry Cofa Court

Do I have to call the ADF phone number to make an appointment with my advisor? Or do I just go straight to the job center? I'm quite confused as to how to go about all this!
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
  • dugdale
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:01 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:01 PM
    Cofa Court is the busiest Jobcentre in the UK and I'm not sure if you could see an adviser at short notice, perhaps you could call Cofa first thing in the morning to see if they could fit you in. If not you might be able to see an adviser at Tile Hill Jobcentre who would provide the same service as a Cofa Adviser. It's further out of town however is not as busy as Cofa Court and there is a good chance that you would be seen the same day by one of their advisers.
  • you_wicked_gay
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:06 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:06 PM
    I have found a phone number for the ADF that I was given when I first signed on, so I will try calling that first thing to find out more. If they cannot help me I will try calling Cofa to see what they say.

My interview was only booked today, and I've only been given short notice myself to sort clothes for the interview, so I can honestly say I haven't left this until last minute. My personal advisor booked the interview herself today, and gave me a print out letter of the interview information so I have proof of the interview.

I really hope that I can get some help with this tomorrow, as usually when I make enquiries to Cofa - I get passed around like a hot potato and given numerous different numbers to call to try to find someone that knows anything!
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 26th Apr 10, 9:11 PM
    • 34,353 Posts
    • 44,121 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:11 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:11 PM
    Failing that, Primark do black trousers for a fiver and a blouse for £3.
    Not overly expensive and you could save them for further interviews.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
  • you_wicked_gay
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:13 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:13 PM
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Thanks for this

I feel so stressed because it's such short notice. I did have smart black trousers from my previous job (which I left 6 months ago to move here) but I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and dropped 2 sizes, so they don't fit anymore.

Short notice things stress me big time!
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
  • dugdale
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:15 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:15 PM
    I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice
    I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.
  • you_wicked_gay
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:19 PM
    • 26th Apr 10, 9:19 PM
    I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice
    I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.
    Originally posted by dugdale
    I hope so! *fingers crossed*

I went to Tile Hill for a 'back to work' session before Christmas - was rather shocked at how small the JC was there. Cofa is a beast in comparison -AND is always ridiculously busy.
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
  • dugdale
    You_wicked_gay
    PM sent
  • you_wicked_gay
    dugdale I have sent a PM back

Thanks for your help - it's good to know that there's always someone on here that can lend a hand, or a bit of advice!
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 26th Apr 10, 9:31 PM
    • 34,353 Posts
    • 44,121 Thanks
    McKneff
    Thanks for this

I feel so stressed because it's such short notice. I did have smart black trousers from my previous job (which I left 6 months ago to move here) but I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and dropped 2 sizes, so they don't fit anymore.

Short notice things stress me big time!
    Originally posted by you_wicked_gay
    Glad you didnt take offence.

There was a post on here a couple of months ago for the same thing
    but the OP had been out of work for, like you, 6 months and she had gained 4 stone, so think yourself lucky.

I'd offer to sent you something but Im a size 8 and theres not many of us about.

good luck with your interview.
    Last edited by McKneff; 26-04-2010 at 9:34 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
  • you_wicked_gay
    Glad you didnt take offence.

There was a post on here a couple of months ago for the same thing
    but the OP had been out of work for, like you, 6 months and she had gained 4 stone, so think yourself lucky.

I'd offer to sent you something but Im a size 8 and theres not many of us about.

good luck with your interview.
    If only I was a size 8! I'd be jumping for joy

I did think about primark as my first solution, until my Mum mentioned the ADF and jogged my memory of all the things the job centre told me 6 months ago.
    Proud Weight Watcher
    - - -
  • nikki_angel
    It's a Primark suit I am sending you today so it's like mail order Special delivery and will be with you before 1pm tomorrow. MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN!!

let me know it has arrived ok x

• KimYeovil
    Did you just start signing on yesterday? Why do you have no suitable clothing for an interview? If what you say is true then you do not meet qualifying criteria for being available for work and as such should not be receiving JSA.
    • angelbob
    • By angelbob 8th May 10, 11:28 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    angelbob
    hi i know this is probably too late now but it mght help others i used to work for the Arcadia Group (Dorothy Perkis, Evans,Burton etc) and every week we would have customers come in, normally following a phone call from job centre with a letter for interview/work clothes, somepeople had suits,trousers, shirts, skirts,shoes (some people tried to take this !!!! and ask for party dresses little tops but weren't allowd) they also weren't allowed reciept (stops cash refunds) but ask ou migth get something.
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2016 #64 £4240.88
    Paid £18.58 Owing £4292.30
    #1 cat £632, #2 credit £279.13, #3 credit £202.31, #4 car £1200, #5 loan £476.58, #6 loan £1336.67, #7 credit £95.61

• vaporate

Wow that is cheap.

Wont last long though as it must be cheap materials
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jimbms
    OK two little tips, 1) If you have a mail order account i.e. next, very etc, order a suit, wear it for the interview then return it. 2) Go into town especialy around the office area and look in charity shops for interview clothing, it's a decent suit you need so a slight swallowing of pride to get a job is worth it.
    Approach her; adore her. Behold her; worship her. Caress her; indulge her. Kiss her; pleasure her. Kneel to her; lavish her. Assert to her; let her guide you. Obey her as you know how; Surrender is so wonderful! For Caroline my Goddess.
  • coolstorybro
    OK two little tips, 1) If you have a mail order account i.e. next, very etc, order a suit, wear it for the interview then return it.
    Originally posted by jimbms
    Please don't do this. When people buy clothes they expect them to be new, not previously worn. And for anyone who says that they wash it before sending it back, that only diminishes the original shape and colour of the clothing and makes it stink of fabric softener.

To the OP: If you're that out of pocket, just go to Primark. Sure, it won't last long, but it should do for the interview plus the first week of the job if you get it. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

6,575Users online

Martin's Twitter