IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Clothing for Interview on JSA
Closed Thread
Views: 6,675
# 1
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Clothing for Interview on JSA

I went to sign on today, and to see my personal advisor at the job center. Whilst I was there she set up an interview for me for Thursday.

I have no clothes suitable to attend the interview in, and as you can imagine, with only JSA as my income, money is tight!

I rang my Mum to talk about it and she mentioned that the Job Center can help with money towards clothes for interviews - and it reminded me of something I was told at the beginning of my claim which I briefly remember.

I've googled to look for something about it, and have found that it is called the 'Advisor Discretionary Fund'. I have the phone number to call in the morning to see if I can get help towards costs. I'm worried that it is such short notice, as I only got the interview set up today, and it is on Thursday - giving me 2 days to buy clothes.

Does anyone know how this ADF works, or what it entails?
Proud Weight Watcher
Start Weight: 15st 13lb Current Weight: 10st 5lb
Total Loss to Date: 5st 8lb
- - -
Current 2011 Goal: Lose 8lb by 25th December
Loss This Week: -3 Total Loss 2011: -3
# 2
dugdale
Old 26-04-2010, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I see that you live in Coventry, may I ask which job centre you sign at please ?
What happens at my job centre is that you would make an appointment to speak to your adviser who would ask for info about your interview. If ADF was agreed you would go to Outfit at Central 6 retail park and pick suitable clothes as agreed with your adviser. Outfit would provide you with an invoice which you would return to your adviser who would give you a voucher entitling you to collect the goods. It is possible to do this all on the same day however can't be guaranteed.
The Following User Says Thank You to dugdale For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I sign at Coventry Cofa Court

Do I have to call the ADF phone number to make an appointment with my advisor? Or do I just go straight to the job center? I'm quite confused as to how to go about all this!
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
# 4
dugdale
Old 26-04-2010, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cofa Court is the busiest Jobcentre in the UK and I'm not sure if you could see an adviser at short notice, perhaps you could call Cofa first thing in the morning to see if they could fit you in. If not you might be able to see an adviser at Tile Hill Jobcentre who would provide the same service as a Cofa Adviser. It's further out of town however is not as busy as Cofa Court and there is a good chance that you would be seen the same day by one of their advisers.
# 5
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have found a phone number for the ADF that I was given when I first signed on, so I will try calling that first thing to find out more. If they cannot help me I will try calling Cofa to see what they say.

My interview was only booked today, and I've only been given short notice myself to sort clothes for the interview, so I can honestly say I haven't left this until last minute. My personal advisor booked the interview herself today, and gave me a print out letter of the interview information so I have proof of the interview.

I really hope that I can get some help with this tomorrow, as usually when I make enquiries to Cofa - I get passed around like a hot potato and given numerous different numbers to call to try to find someone that knows anything!
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
# 6
McKneff
Old 26-04-2010, 9:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Failing that, Primark do black trousers for a fiver and a blouse for 3.
Not overly expensive and you could save them for further interviews.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
Thanks for this

I feel so stressed because it's such short notice. I did have smart black trousers from my previous job (which I left 6 months ago to move here) but I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and dropped 2 sizes, so they don't fit anymore.

Short notice things stress me big time!
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
The Following User Says Thank You to you_wicked_gay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
dugdale
Old 26-04-2010, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice
I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to dugdale For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 9:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdale View Post
I've not heard of an ADF number but by all means give it a ring. If you were to visit Tile Hill Jobcentre at 9 am with your NI number and interview letter I'm sure that an adviser will be able to see you at short notice
I'm pretty sure that if everything goes correctly you would be the proud owner of suitable interview clothes by mid afternoon tomorrow.
I hope so! *fingers crossed*

I went to Tile Hill for a 'back to work' session before Christmas - was rather shocked at how small the JC was there. Cofa is a beast in comparison -AND is always ridiculously busy.
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
# 10
dugdale
Old 26-04-2010, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You_wicked_gay
PM sent
# 11
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

dugdale I have sent a PM back

Thanks for your help - it's good to know that there's always someone on here that can lend a hand, or a bit of advice!
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
# 12
McKneff
Old 26-04-2010, 9:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by you_wicked_gay View Post
Thanks for this

I feel so stressed because it's such short notice. I did have smart black trousers from my previous job (which I left 6 months ago to move here) but I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and dropped 2 sizes, so they don't fit anymore.

Short notice things stress me big time!
Glad you didnt take offence.

There was a post on here a couple of months ago for the same thing
but the OP had been out of work for, like you, 6 months and she had gained 4 stone, so think yourself lucky.

I'd offer to sent you something but Im a size 8 and theres not many of us about.

good luck with your interview.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent

Last edited by McKneff; 26-04-2010 at 9:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
you_wicked_gay
Old 26-04-2010, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Glad you didnt take offence.

There was a post on here a couple of months ago for the same thing
but the OP had been out of work for, like you, 6 months and she had gained 4 stone, so think yourself lucky.

I'd offer to sent you something but Im a size 8 and theres not many of us about.

good luck with your interview.
If only I was a size 8! I'd be jumping for joy

I did think about primark as my first solution, until my Mum mentioned the ADF and jogged my memory of all the things the job centre told me 6 months ago.
Proud Weight Watcher
- - -
# 14
nikki_angel
Old 27-04-2010, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's a Primark suit I am sending you today so it's like mail order Special delivery and will be with you before 1pm tomorrow. MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN!!

let me know it has arrived ok x

# 15
KimYeovil
Old 27-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Did you just start signing on yesterday? Why do you have no suitable clothing for an interview? If what you say is true then you do not meet qualifying criteria for being available for work and as such should not be receiving JSA.
# 16
angelbob
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi i know this is probably too late now but it mght help others i used to work for the Arcadia Group (Dorothy Perkis, Evans,Burton etc) and every week we would have customers come in, normally following a phone call from job centre with a letter for interview/work clothes, somepeople had suits,trousers, shirts, skirts,shoes (some people tried to take this !!!! and ask for party dresses little tops but weren't allowd) they also weren't allowed reciept (stops cash refunds) but ask ou migth get something.
Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2014 #63
913.20/5202.67

Wonga 646.85, Quikquid 476.35, PoundsPocket 1428.07, Vivus 122, Lloyds 1000, Aqua 298.72, CapOne 217.48, Littlewoods 100
Total 4289.47 to pay
# 17
vaporate
Old 08-05-2010, 3:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

Wow that is cheap.

Wont last long though as it must be cheap materials
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 18
jimbms
Old 10-05-2010, 2:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK two little tips, 1) If you have a mail order account i.e. next, very etc, order a suit, wear it for the interview then return it. 2) Go into town especialy around the office area and look in charity shops for interview clothing, it's a decent suit you need so a slight swallowing of pride to get a job is worth it.
Approach her; adore her. Behold her; worship her. Caress her; indulge her. Kiss her; pleasure her. Kneel to her; lavish her. Assert to her; let her guide you. Obey her as you know how; Surrender is so wonderful! For Caroline my Goddess.
# 19
coolstorybro
Old 10-05-2010, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbms View Post
OK two little tips, 1) If you have a mail order account i.e. next, very etc, order a suit, wear it for the interview then return it.
Please don't do this. When people buy clothes they expect them to be new, not previously worn. And for anyone who says that they wash it before sending it back, that only diminishes the original shape and colour of the clothing and makes it stink of fabric softener.

To the OP: If you're that out of pocket, just go to Primark. Sure, it won't last long, but it should do for the interview plus the first week of the job if you get it. Good luck.
Closed Thread