IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to cancel a gym membership
Views: 153,529
# 1
Elvisia
Old 11-08-2006, 2:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How to cancel a gym membership

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For a full list of the latest offers and deals, as well as advice on managing your gym membership, see the Cheap Gyms guide.

Back to the original post...

------------------------

Hello
I am trying to cancel my LA Fitness membership, I have been a member for about 3 years, but I changed my membership to get a joint membership with a friend, then rejoined after a year when she left. Because that was only 6 months ago they are telling me I need to pay to cancel this membership, and my previous years there don't count as "the system will ask for a cancellation fee" and they're saying it will be between £150-£250!!!! They keep telling me to find someone else, I have advertised at work and put an ad on gumtree.com but I am running out of options. They also keep telling me to sell it to a family member, but since everyone is over 70 years old and live 25 miles away that's not going to happen and it's getting offensive as I explain this then they ask again if any family members can take over.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can either not pay so much to the gym, or where i can advertise it? I am moving abroad in a month's time, so I need to cancel it soon. I don't seem to have any rights as the gym said they would take me to court if I didn't pay the fee (which they haven't even decided on). I do feel very much at their mercy?

Last edited by Former MSE Michael; 08-03-2013 at 1:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
missk_ensington
Old 11-08-2006, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cnacel your Direct Debit and write them a letter saying you're too ill to exercise.
# 3
babitat
Old 11-08-2006, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just cancelled my direct debit - albeit after a years membership. Never heard from them again.
# 4
Crispy Ambulance
Old 11-08-2006, 2:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you have signed a contract for a year's membership, then you are obliged to pay a year's fees. If you cancel the direct debit, they will be perfectly entitled to sue you in the county court for the money.

Best to check your terms and conditions to see if there are any circumstances in which you can cancel.
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
# 5
Elvisia
Old 11-08-2006, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The admin person I spoke to did actually say "oh someone people do just stop their direct debit" so I said what would happen if I did that "LA Fitness would send round an agent to reclaim the money and you would be blacklisted on your credit score for ten years". I can't believe she offered not paying them as an option!!!
# 6
missk_ensington
Old 11-08-2006, 2:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

After three years wouldn't you be in your right to cancel? Though usually its just the first year then after that you can cancel at any time?!

Well I cancelled mine, said Id had a heart operation that had gone wrong and I couldn't get out of bed let alone exercise. Ok it was a bit naughty (my heart operation went very well) but didn't have much choice!

Say you've lost your job and physically cannot afford it. Or you could freeze the account, I know Fitness First will let you do that
# 7
LondonCanuck
Old 11-08-2006, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A friend of mine cancelled her direct debit at LA fitness and they came after her. They first started with letters, which she ignored, and then she finally got a court notice saying that the bailifs will be sent 'round if she didn't pay up.

She got really upset / nervous about it and went to the gym and they came into an agreement that she had to pay £20/month for the rest of the contact but she could not use the gym.

I would speak with the manager of that LA fitness and explain that you've been a member for 3 years etc and hopefully let you quit. The other option is to speak to your doctor (or even better if you have a friend who's a doctor) and see if they'll write you a note.

You could also try that you're moving... Just make sure your new destination doesn't have an LA Fitness local!
The Following User Says Thank You to LondonCanuck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
LondonCanuck
Old 11-08-2006, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by missk_ensington
Say you've lost your job and physically cannot afford it. Or you could freeze the account, I know Fitness First will let you do that
I just looked on the LA Fitness website and it looks like you still have to pay to freeze your account: http://www.lafitness.co.uk/freeze-request.asp

Fitness First only has a 3 month minimum contract. That's my gym and I must admit, I like that I can get out anytime!
# 9
angeldeelite
Old 23-08-2006, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i wanted to cancel my Next Generation membership and was told that i had to give 3 months notice. I was told i could get out of that if i was moving away and didnt have a Next Generation near the new place.

They needed a letter so i asked my boss if he minded me writing a note on headed paper saying i was being transferred to Spain at the end of the month!

It worked and i got it out of it straight away
Give it a go.
# 10
HAVEFAITH
Old 31-07-2007, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm not liking what i read here Re LA Fitness .... they have screwed by taking monies from my account when they said otherwise. i.e. 1 month early. Lets see what happens first. However the google search reviews arn't inspiring.
# 11
ESB-UK
Old 23-06-2008, 3:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i cancelled my gym membership by pretending to have an injury, I got a doctors note explaining this from this website http://www.doctorsnotestore.com/gym_...rs_letter.html
# 12
Krasnoludek
Old 23-06-2008, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

I tried to cancel mine with LA Fitness and so did my sister in law, they chased her until she paid, I just kept mine going then finished it at the end of the 12 months. Beware though you need to give them a months notice or they will levy a cancellation charge, I wrote to them in Feb saying I was cancelling in April and asked for written receipt and confirmation of my letter and they did

Sorry but they are a pain in the rear

K x
# 13
mrbaldasari
Old 12-12-2008, 3:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well, just realized that this is a UK forum, but if there are any US folks (like me) reading this, I was told, I needed to send a cancellation letter by certified mail. Took me two letters, but was able to get out of a Gold's membership. I used www.onlinecertifiedmail.com to send the letters... beats the heck outta standing in line at the post office.
Mr B.
# 14
no1gymbunny
Old 01-02-2009, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I joined LA Fitness in December 07 on a year's membership. In about April 08 I left as I couldn't justify the expense. I just rang and said I'd got a new job with a gym on-site (which was true) and they said that's fine. I then went onto join Fitspace. No contract - a grea, no frills gym. If you want to leave, just cancel the DD - sorted.
Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional
# 15
MartinSW2
Old 20-03-2009, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

You must cancel this in writing! Do not be fooled by what ever they tell you on the phone. DO NOT STOP YOUR DIRECT DEBIT until you have a written confirmation that they have cancelled.
I was out of my one year contract period, and yet they still chased me via Debt Collection Agencies. Luckily I had responded and sent my card back, but I was still stung for three months membership plus fees.
These are really not nice people to do business with - I'd suggest to anyone thinking of joining to look at your contract carefully and make sure you know what you are signing!!
# 16
kelly1010
Old 23-07-2009, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cancel gym membership

I cancelled my gym membership by getting a fake doctors note from doccynotes.com
they had to cancel, worked a treat.

Kel x
# 17
angel underneath
Old 07-06-2011, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi all, i took out a gym membership with change ur shape, due to damaging my back can no longer use the gym. i cancelled the direct debit wrote several letters and they replyed with " THIS CONTRACT CANNOT BE CANCELLED". It has now gone to a debt collection agency. So regardless i'm still having to pay even though i'm genually to unwell to go.
# 18
foundmannchanckeel
Old 10-06-2011, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi All. I have also taken out a gym membership with LA Fitness. I've been a member since December 2010 and in that time have used it approximately once a month due to lack of classes and over crowding. It seems all this club cares about is getting people signed up which is fair enough, I myself work in Sales and know that these people have targets to meet but it doesnt however mean that once the person has signed and paid that they should then be ignored and forgotten about.
There are many things wrong with this gym. The're isn't enough equiptment to accomodate the increased amount of members, the air conditioning units have been broken for about 5 months and there's been 2 occassions where members have found human faeces in public areas of the gym other than the toilets, which is absolutely disgusting and shows that this gym doesn't give a hoot about its reputation or it's member's wellbeing. I've also recently become aware of the way some the staff treat members of the gym, the sales and reception staff are rude and the manager is an absolute disgrace and very unprofessional. This is not an exaggeration at all. I heard her being so rude to a young woman the other day that it has made me feel really uncomfortable and I definitely do not want to go back to the gym and be in her presence.
I know that when I joined the gym its was on a 12 month contract and I had to pay a deposit of £40 and set up a direct debit for the future months. However I did not actually sign anywhere other than a receipt for the deposit and direct debit. Not once was I shown a contract or asked to sign any other papers. I have since then asked sales staff about the membership process and slyly asked if people are supposed to sign a contract and they have all said yes.

Does this mean that If i were to cancel my membership early, they could not fine or dispute it because I haven't signed a contract?

I dont want to just cancel my direct debit incase they report me to debt collectors or black list me.
# 19
jenniewb
Old 11-06-2011, 4:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundmannchanckeel View Post
Hi All. I have also taken out a gym membership with LA Fitness. I've been a member since December 2010 and in that time have used it approximately once a month due to lack of classes and over crowding. It seems all this club cares about is getting people signed up which is fair enough, I myself work in Sales and know that these people have targets to meet but it doesnt however mean that once the person has signed and paid that they should then be ignored and forgotten about.
There are many things wrong with this gym. The're isn't enough equiptment to accomodate the increased amount of members, the air conditioning units have been broken for about 5 months and there's been 2 occassions where members have found human faeces in public areas of the gym other than the toilets, which is absolutely disgusting and shows that this gym doesn't give a hoot about its reputation or it's member's wellbeing. I've also recently become aware of the way some the staff treat members of the gym, the sales and reception staff are rude and the manager is an absolute disgrace and very unprofessional. This is not an exaggeration at all. I heard her being so rude to a young woman the other day that it has made me feel really uncomfortable and I definitely do not want to go back to the gym and be in her presence.
I know that when I joined the gym its was on a 12 month contract and I had to pay a deposit of £40 and set up a direct debit for the future months. However I did not actually sign anywhere other than a receipt for the deposit and direct debit. Not once was I shown a contract or asked to sign any other papers. I have since then asked sales staff about the membership process and slyly asked if people are supposed to sign a contract and they have all said yes.

Does this mean that If i were to cancel my membership early, they could not fine or dispute it because I haven't signed a contract?

I dont want to just cancel my direct debit incase they report me to debt collectors or black list me.

I was going to post that I had experienced similar when I was a member (and used several of the gyms across London) but human faeces?!!! OMG THAT is GROSS!

I'd go complain to head office, ask for your membership to be cut and then go to Trading Standards, Consumer Rights and anywhere else you can think if you do have problems! I know its gross but if you do see anything else like that, take pictures, get witnesses and names and details so when you do complain you have more punch.

I would have thought under the circumstances the company would apologise profoundly and let you go but I think they'd probably try it on.

Agree though with the staff thing, there were some gyms where the staff were professional and did a great job, but many others where the staff were just beyond a joke rude and yet despite complaining (to head office, which seemed to make a dent in their brassyness) they'd be back to normal within a few weeks/months.

Do complain though- just wondering if your showers also had mould creeping up the corners or the walls too? Couldn't find a single LA that didn't have this...attribute in all the time I was a member! Still, made me make an effort to know what not to look for with my next membership!
# 20
jenniewb
Old 11-06-2011, 4:11 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel underneath View Post
Hi all, i took out a gym membership with change ur shape, due to damaging my back can no longer use the gym. i cancelled the direct debit wrote several letters and they replyed with " THIS CONTRACT CANNOT BE CANCELLED". It has now gone to a debt collection agency. So regardless i'm still having to pay even though i'm genually to unwell to go.
I'd advise you to go to the CAB, take thr full contract with you (small print included) and see if there is any way they can help you.