Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,084Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 120
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 85,087 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Thank pipkin71 I shall have a look next time I am at The Dockyard our local outlet in Chatham as they have a Whittards there.

Trouble is when I go into Whittards I am tempted by so much as their stuff is really nice but a post-Christmas treat might be on the cards ,especially as its all under cover there and I shall keep dry in this awful rainy weather we are getting at the moment
    Cheers JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I know what you mean, Jackie. I love lots of their products and can get carried away with myself, but at least what we buy, is never wasted
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 5th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    babs 103
    Sorry JackieO but Whittards closed down ages ago, not sure where the nearest one is now - prob Bluewater. x
    SPC #11 025
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 85,087 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Sorry JackieO but Whittards closed down ages ago, not sure where the nearest one is now - prob Bluewater. x
    Originally posted by babs 103
    I order from them direct, but saw that Debenhams also stock Whittard products, when I was last in there, if that helps
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 24,524 Posts
    • 51,901 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Whittard branch in The Strand is still alive and well AFAIK, if you're ever in town, JackieO.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 15,446 Posts
    • 129,937 Thanks
    JackieO
    !!!! just shows how often I go to The Dockside outlet I will have to wait until I am next at Bluewater or ask my DGD whose second home is there she adores B'water and could shop for England

Edited I just checked and Canterbury is my nearest ,so I will wait until I go to see my sis-in-law at Faversham, we can get a bus from outside her house every half an hour as parking in Canterbury is dreadful, but a good reason to have a trip out there ,perhaps when the weather is a bit warmer though
    Last edited by JackieO; 05-01-2018 at 3:53 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 13th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    If you've run out of detangling spray for little ones put a blob of conditioner into a spray bottle and add warm (not hot) water. Gently shake this to dissolve the conditioner.
    CC1 = £87.87 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£1.20 vs spent £0.70 .Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 7,248 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    This is not for the faint hearted....

Use the charity bag plastic wrapper ( the plastic wrapper the charity bag comes in) as a sanitary bag disposer. I always bring the sanitary bag disposer bag home when I am in a hotel.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 - £660/£6,000
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 24,524 Posts
    • 51,901 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Use the charity bag plastic wrapper ( the plastic wrapper the charity bag comes in) as a sanitary bag disposer. I always bring the sanitary bag disposer bag home when I am in a hotel.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Lol. I use it for rubbish, in the same way as I use unrecyclable plastic food packets - great for containing wet rubbish.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • DollyDabbler
    • By DollyDabbler 15th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    DollyDabbler

Originally posted by Gem-gem

mine get donated to the local high school, they use them during exam season for pupils who get a bit "sick with nerves" or pencil sharpening and any excess bags go out on visits jyst in case of travel sickness
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 7,248 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Lol. I use it for rubbish, in the same way as I use unrecyclable plastic food packets - great for containing wet rubbish.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, unrecyclable plastic food packets can be very handy too! Lol.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 7,248 Thanks
    Gem-gem

mine get donated to the local high school, they use them during exam season for pupils who get a bit "sick with nerves" or pencil sharpening and any excess bags go out on visits jyst in case of travel sickness
    Originally posted by DollyDabbler
    Sick Bags I have never thought of that.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    If you've run out of detangling spray for little ones put a blob of conditioner into a spray bottle and add warm (not hot) water. Gently shake this to dissolve the conditioner.
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    Another use for hair conditioner:

If you have very frizzy or fly-away hair, use a small blob of hair conditioner to calm down/control your hair. Smear a small blob - about the size of a 2p coin - over the palm of both hands and then smooth it over the ends of your hair. It works just as well as Frizz-Ease, at a fraction of the cost.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 21st Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Try to plan out ANY shopping

Food Shopping - write a list, eat before you go, take your own bags

Any physical shop - sort vouchers before entering the shop so you know what you have discounts for. Same with apps, check for money off offers you may need to activate before shopping

Any online shop - Google discount codes before shopping
    CC1 = £87.87 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£1.20 vs spent £0.70 .Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 22nd Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Try to plan out ANY shopping

Food Shopping - write a list, eat before you go, take your own bags

Any physical shop - sort vouchers before entering the shop so you know what you have discounts for. Same with apps, check for money off offers you may need to activate before shopping

Any online shop - Google discount codes before shopping
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    Good advice. My bank frequently has a cash-back deal with Waitrose (5% or 10% if you use your debit card to shop) but I never remember it, on the rare occasion that I shop there.

Also map your route so that it is the most efficient fuel wise - if you are driving - and time-wise. Ditto if your shopping trip involves a heavy purchase; you might not want to lug it around. And, in summer, if you’re buying meat or fish, plan your trip so that you buy those last (the least time between fridge and fridge the better).
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,174Users online

Martin's Twitter