Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,084Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 119
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 15,448 Posts
    • 129,958 Thanks
    JackieO
    I too prefer ground coffee and never drink instant if I can help it.

The aldi coffee is pretty good but the best was a couple of years ago my DGS Danny bought his Mum a coffee subscription, and she had a packet of ground coffee from various parts of the world as a Christmas present and a packet arrived every month for a year, as she and I are the only coffee drinkers we had a fantastic year drinking it

I must try to find out where he got it from as the packs used to just arrive by post every month. I think we have drunk coffee from almost every country in the world that produces it

I can substitute most things but like LameWolf not my coffee
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 17,328 Thanks
    Siebrie
    For coffee: we have a machine that does both ground and whole-bean coffee. I like to drink 2 cups in the morning, and I make them separately for each cup, so for the first cup I put in the correct amount of ground coffee or whole beans, for the second cup, I put just half and it will be added to the coffee grounds of the first cup.

If I buy a container of coffee I don't like (I do like to try out new brands), I mix it with a brand I do like (for instance Aldi beans with proper brand espresso beans). I only need a few espresso beans to overpower the taste of the Aldi beans.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 102,78 = £ 90.20
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 15,448 Posts
    • 129,958 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am contemplating buying a coffee grinder ,would you say the Aldi beans are worth it I normally use their ground packaged coffee Siebrie ?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I am contemplating buying a coffee grinder ,would you say the Aldi beans are worth it I normally use their ground packaged coffee Siebrie ?
    Originally posted by JackieO
    The Aldi Beans are great. Good value too.\Ikea do a grinder for £9.90.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Aldi Beans are great. Good value too.\Ikea do a grinder for £9.90.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I saw a beautiful vintage coffee grinder in a chazzer a couple of weeks ago. It cost all of £1.

Not for me as I happen to like instant coffee
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Dec 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 17,328 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I didn't like the Aldi beans on their own, but mixed with Aldi espresso beans (75%/25%) they were fine. It really is personal taste. I now ask for specialty coffee beans for my birthday and other special events, or if I have to buy something (for instance, when shopping with a spend-thrift friend).

More penny saving: when shopping with this friend, I buy just a small bag at a shop where they roast the beans on the premises, and I try to plan this halfway the shopping afternoon. I make a bit of a show about selecting and buying them, looking at everything in the shop, maybe trying some tea. And the coffee will be the only thing I buy, while my friend goes into a 100 shops and buys some at every single one (that's an exaggeration, by the way ). We have a lot of fun, and I'm not sure she has caught on that I'm unwilling to spend the money; she calls me 'selective'

I use these trips as 'reconnaisance', for later when I do need something.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 102,78 = £ 90.20
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • DavidJonas
    • By DavidJonas 15th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    DavidJonas
    I expect this is mentioned every Christmas, and too late for this year anyway, but..

Save on Christmas Card postage by buying a job lot of discount stamps online. You can get 20% off the face value. Old 57p stamps are perfect for current second class postage and you can get them for 46p each, probably less if you look around.

Stamp dealers buy them up in bulk at auction. A shame to think they were once presumably part of someones collection..
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 16th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Buttons, zips and hooks/catches on old clothes that you've finished with....save them, you never know when you'll need a button etc and much cheaper than trying to buy them. As for the old clothes they can be used for cleaning cloths or patches for other items
    CC1 = £87.87 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£1.20 vs spent £0.70 .Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 19th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    I have a bean to cup machine for coffee that I pinched from work (actually, they were throwing it out because the seals had blown, but a set of seals was about £5 delivered, all replaced, been fine ever since).

Bean coffee is great value in my opinion and tastes great.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 19th Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Mmmm..... Coffee....!!!!

Like many others on here, I like a decent cuppa. In my old job, I bought in a small cafetiere and a regular supply of ground coffee, sometimes freshly ground (when we had beans in stock at home). In the current job, I don't have a desk to call my own, so I bring in a small tub of good quality instant and make do.

At home, we have good quality instant during the week and filter coffee at the weekend. Instant has to be at least freeze-dried own brand "Gold" but beyond that, I buy on price. (NB: Costco usually sell huge jars of Douwe Egberts at a decent price about once a quarter. I use their jars as storage.)

My current ground-coffee-of-choice is Carrefour's value brand version of "Cafe Molu". It comes in packs of four 250g bags and is cheap at €3.50 a pack. Whenever I go to France, I bring back several packs.

One of the best things I ever did was to go to a coffee tasting. This was 20+ years ago at the Monmouth Street Coffee Shop in London. For a small fee, they gave you different roasts and different blends to try. Interestingly, the most expensive coffees were not necessarily the best tasting, while really cheap instant coffee often tastes burnt. (I don't know if they still do them.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 22nd Dec 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 7,248 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Buttons, zips and hooks/catches on old clothes that you've finished with....save them, you never know when you'll need a button etc and much cheaper than trying to buy them. As for the old clothes they can be used for cleaning cloths or patches for other items
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    Today I cut up a stained t-shirt of my hubbies, which I will use to clean the windows and mirrors with.
    I also remove buttons and my pockets from jeans which I use to repair hubbies pockets with.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 - £660/£6,000
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 27th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Stock from the turkey has been put into an ice cube tray and frozen so I can use a little to make gravy for dishes.

Cranberry sauce is great on a cheese toastie

Leftover veg has been made into soup
    CC1 = £87.87 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£1.20 vs spent £0.70 .Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Stock from the turkey has been put into an ice cube tray and frozen so I can use a little to make gravy for dishes.
    I would worry that it would accidentally end up on my G&T!

Agree completely about the cranberry sauce. Leftovers are the best part of a Christmas meal.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 27th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 4,435 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Harking back to be coffee theme, I always buy mine from Monmouth Coffee in Monmouth Street. brilliant place.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 2nd Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Now is a great time to look for all the reduced items in the supermarkets after new year, they don't want to run out of anything and may just have items that will be a big bonus to you (and your freezer or store cupboards).

Our local Tesco had massively overstocked on steak pies, sausages, freezeable desserts, pizzas and party food. With a kg of sausages marked down to 4p. They also had large jars of seafood sauce, cranberry, and pickles for under 10p.

I keep a list on the front of the freezer so I know exactly what I have and what I can use for a meal etc.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Now is a great time to look for all the reduced items in the supermarkets after new year, they don't want to run out of anything and may just have items that will be a big bonus to you (and your freezer or store cupboards).
    Unfortunately this is diametrically opposed to my plan to max out the NSDs this month!!

I console myself that these treats aren’t food that I’d normally eat: much of what I’ve bought in previous years is still hanging around.

• X Duvessa X
    • By X Duvessa X 2nd Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    X Duvessa X
    Tried the white vinegar/stardrops/water cleaning mix and it's great! Made light work of my kitchen
    Jan GC £40.20/£50 NSD 12
    Jan - Mar WLC 4/11
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 4th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 4,653 Posts
    • 46,139 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Coffee... another Aldi coffee devotee here. Forty years ago we shopped in Aldi in Germany and loved their coffee, little has changed. There are two separate Aldi companies, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, we shopped at Aldi Nord, UK Aldi is Aldi Sud. So the coffee we got is no doubt very different to Aldi's coffee now.
    My Estonian mum loved her coffee, and loved Aldi Nord's 'Ali Kaffee' instant, which tasted to her of 'proper coffee', we used to bring her over a big 200g jar on every visit.
    I love the Aldi Nespresso capsules, fantastic value, and they keep expanding the range, too. I also use their lovely Colombian and decaf ground coffees.
    The only coffee I'm not quite so keen on is the instant decaf, I think Lidl's tastes nicer, though it's a while since I've had Aldi's.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 5:57 AM
    • 18,991 Posts
    • 85,087 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I too prefer ground coffee and never drink instant if I can help it.

The aldi coffee is pretty good but the best was a couple of years ago my DGS Danny bought his Mum a coffee subscription, and she had a packet of ground coffee from various parts of the world as a Christmas present and a packet arrived every month for a year, as she and I are the only coffee drinkers we had a fantastic year drinking it

I must try to find out where he got it from as the packs used to just arrive by post every month. I think we have drunk coffee from almost every country in the world that produces it

I can substitute most things but like LameWolf not my coffee
    Whittard of Chelsea do a nice coffees of the world box, Jackie. There are nine different boxes of coffee in there
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 15,448 Posts
    • 129,958 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thank pipkin71 I shall have a look next time I am at The Dockyard our local outlet in Chatham as they have a Whittards there.

Trouble is when I go into Whittards I am tempted by so much as their stuff is really nice but a post-Christmas treat might be on the cards ,especially as its all under cover there and I shall keep dry in this awful rainy weather we are getting at the moment
    Cheers JackieO xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter