Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,079Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven!!!8217;t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 118
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Nov 17, 9:30 PM
    • 24,824 Posts
    • 52,630 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Gosh, my DH loves gravy. If I did that the house would be stuffed full of children
    Originally posted by MandM90
    PMSL

Bring on the menopause!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 27,685 Thanks
    Primrose
    When it comes to waste, I feel guilty sometimes when I wash some
    greasy aluminium foil before putting it in the recycling bin. Now if I was really thifty , Iíd smooth it out flat and reuse it!

I think itís partly a case of just not having enough cupboard space for all these reusable plastic shopping bags, food storage bags, and bits of aluminium foil !
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 3rd Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 9,018 Posts
    • 56,504 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Not sure if I have said this before, but during the time we were paying off an IVA and I was into moneysaving, I once spilled a small container of sweetener tablets on the kitchen worktop and frantically started to pick them up and put them back into the container. I realised I was maybe getting too obsessional when I found myself trying to pick the last sweetener tablet out of the sink and dry it on a tea towel!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 15,576 Posts
    • 131,427 Thanks
    JackieO
    Not sure if I have said this before, but during the time we were paying off an IVA and I was into moneysaving, I once spilled a small container of sweetener tablets on the kitchen worktop and frantically started to pick them up and put them back into the container. I realised I was maybe getting too obsessional when I found myself trying to pick the last sweetener tablet out of the sink and dry it on a tea towel!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    T hanks for that gem just spluttered coffee down myself
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb so far £12.44
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 4th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    Archergirl
    When it comes to waste, I feel guilty sometimes when I wash some
    greasy aluminium foil before putting it in the recycling bin. Now if I was really thifty , Iíd smooth it out flat and reuse it!

I think itís partly a case of just not having enough cupboard space for all these reusable plastic shopping bags, food storage bags, and bits of aluminium foil !
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Our recycling doesn't take foil of any sort.....
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 7,604 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Was on a course today. They had a counter with paper bags and jars of three types of sweets. I put some sweets in a bag and took them to our table for everyone to eat. Only a couple were taken so I bought the rest of the bag home - I didnít want them to go to waste. They will do nicely for when hubby and I are on our travels.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £680/£6,000
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 7,604 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    When hubby and I go away. I always pack my hot chocolate n a small Tupperware countainer so that I can also have a Ďcheapí drink. Hubby always brings the tea and coffee designated for me home.

If we have a Hotel in the town we will always go back to the room for a mid afternoon drink rather than pay for it.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £680/£6,000
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 9th Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    consultant31
    Our recycling doesn't take foil of any sort.....
    Originally posted by Archergirl

Ours specify that if foil will scrunch up and stay scrunched, then it can be recycled.

I'm always defeated by the plastics recycling though.....will they take the plastic dishes that ready meals come in? Or margarine tubs?
    I hate throwing away something that I can recycle.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 9th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    Archergirl
    I'm always defeated by the plastics recycling though.....will they take the plastic dishes that ready meals come in? Or margarine tubs?
    I hate throwing away something that I can recycle. [/QUOTE]

I know, ours takes bottles but dosen't want the lids, it's all very confusing........
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 9th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 6,819 Posts
    • 35,962 Thanks
    tattycath
    Ours specify that if foil will scrunch up and stay scrunched, then it can be recycled.

I hate throwing away something that I can recycle.
    Originally posted by consultant31
    Ours seem to take any kind of plastic tubs and lids as long as they aren't dark colours
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings £100/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 9th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 4,350 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    Our area collects the usual glass bottles/jars plus aerosols/tins/cans, but not foil and all papers/envelopes. They've also recently upped their game on plastics to more than just bottles. We can now include tetra packs/plastic cartons/punnets and clean tubs. It's great for marge tubs and cold meat packs and when we eat meat, veggies or fruits from the supermarkets...esp. YS finds of grapes, strawberries etc. as these used to make me wish they just came in a paper bag like the ones from my grocer...but I can't turn them down at a few penny finds! Same for when I find ys meat.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 46,738 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    You may find that your local authority / county council website has clear information on what can, and can't be recycled. Ours does. (County Durham).
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 13th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    This looks like my kind of thread!

I've had a gander through the old sneaky ways thread and I can relate to a lot!

Had a little gander through the first couple pages of this one then got impatient and wanted to post!

We always buy the cheapest coffee. Taste doesn't really matter to us.
    We don't drink tea, so we don't buy teabags. If anyone wants a cuppa when they come to visit they can bring their own and I've told them this!
    We don't buy anything where there's even a slim chance we may not like the taste of it, no matter if it's reduced, on offer or cheap enough anyway as it may go to waste. We stick to food we know and love.
    I always buy the cheapest value products. A little seasoning and how you prep/cook it is what it's all about.
    I buy a few of things at a time, like rather than just one tin of value beans, I'll buy 2 or 3 or 4 then we're stocked up.
    I don't have a trillion different cleaners in the cupboard under the sink - elbow grease is usually enough. As long as the water is hot, soapy and has some kind of disinfectant in it, it will work.
    I just fill a sink(bathroom sink if cleaning the bathroom, kitchen sink if cleaning the rest of the flat) with hot water and put a tiny drop of fairy and a splash of zoflora in and go at it hammer and tongs to get things clean. I start from the top and work down. The sink gets done last(unless in the bathroom then the toilet gets done last) and I don't rinse the cloth out in the sink once I get to the floor(spread of germs etc.-no rinsing after doing toilet either)
    I'm more inclined to spot clean rather than do deep, all over cleans every week or so. Just a kitchen towel dampened and rub at the spill/mark/mess. Takes a couple seconds, also makes a deep clean a lot easier as I don't have to keep stopping to rub at marks moreso than the rest)
    We have a dishwasher but it is unplugged at the wall. Don't see the point. What's wrong with a bowl of hot soapy water and your hands? It's part of the flat(built in) so has to stay.
    We have a washer dryer but I only use the dryer to dry bedsheets and towels which only get washed once a week or less. Everything else gets thrown on the dryer over the bath.
    We don't buy boxes of facial tissues. We hardly ever need to blow our noses so some loo roll or a piece of kitchen towel works just fine for when we do need to.
    We haven't gone clothes/shoe/accessory or any kind of shopping other than food for about a year now. Everything we have is still working perfectly well for us. The only other-than-food shopping I've done recently was Christmas shopping for everyone and I still spent less than £50 all in
    Last edited by gemmajenkins0208; 13-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 24,824 Posts
    • 52,630 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    We always buy the cheapest coffee. Taste doesn't really matter to us.
    We don't drink tea, so we don't buy teabags. If anyone wants a cuppa when they come to visit they can bring their own and I've told them this!
    We don't buy anything where there's even a slim chance we may not like the taste of it, no matter if it's reduced, on offer or cheap enough anyway as it may go to waste. We stick to food we know and love.
    Originally posted by gemmajenkins0208
    Huh?!

OS is about living well whilst spending wisely, itís not about being mean, which is a completely different thing.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 13th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Literally just realised I basically contradicted myself. Thanks for pointing that out

Foods and drinks are different for us. If you don't like a drink, it's usually mostly water so you can tip it away. Food is very wasteful to throw out if you don't like it.

As for the teabag thing, we only ever have my parents or my partners parents to visit, and it's either usually a flying visit or they will happily have coffee anyway
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 15,576 Posts
    • 131,427 Thanks
    JackieO
    I agree VfM4, I am frugal, but enjoy various things I do like good ground coffee and if I buy Aldi's beans/tinned stuff etc the money I save helps to pay for it.

I shop as wisely as I can to get the best value for my money that I can I use spices and herbs to enhance plain food and a decent bottle of sweet chilli sauce will enhance most meals

I certainly don't waste either money or food, and use it to the best advantage that I can.

But different folk have different ideas, I use the money that I save to help pay for my families annual holidays in August.Everything is budgeted for in advance . I was brought up during the 1940s-50s so know how to streetch a meal to two or three just by the addition of perhaps extra veg or a basic pudding.I love to try new things if I can and today eat things that were unheard of 60 years ago. Often trying something new will make me look for other recipes. My shopping is done by 'need's' and not 'wants' and at my age I am far past wanting very much at all.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb so far £12.44
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 13th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I'm clutching my Clipper tea protectively to my chest. I can't abide horrid tea, OH drinks decaff, and DS will drink any old coffee. I don't have any other vices left. But I'll happly cut mouldy bits off cheese to save money for my tea!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 10,199 Posts
    • 110,706 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    The awful thing is, I can imagine doing the exact same thing myself, given the same circumstances.

One thing I will not compromise on is coffee. I drink it strong, black and unsweetened, so it has to be the decent stuff from beans. No instant muck here (apologies to those who like instant coffee).

I must save a fortune on stockings - I simply don't wear them! I go barefoot at home at all times, and just put shoes or boots on if I need to go out; if I need warmth on my legs I wear leggings under my skirt - can't abide having my feet encased in nylon.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 13th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 9,018 Posts
    • 56,504 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Aldi do some nice coffee beans, varying strengths at reasonable prices.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Dec 17, 3:03 AM
    • 24,824 Posts
    • 52,630 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I must save a fortune on stockings - I simply don't wear them! I go barefoot at home at all times, and just put shoes or boots on if I need to go out; if I need warmth on my legs I wear leggings under my skirt - can't abide having my feet encased in nylon.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I have a huge pile of tights with a single run in them, ready to wear under trousers at home when itís cold.

Theyíve been accumulating for years; this will be the first year I will be wearing them as my new place is gonna be chilly in the winter!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

365Posts Today

4,723Users online

Martin's Twitter