Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,084Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 118
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Nov 17, 9:30 PM
    • 24,160 Posts
    • 50,786 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Gosh, my DH loves gravy. If I did that the house would be stuffed full of children
    Originally posted by MandM90
    PMSL

Bring on the menopause!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 26,674 Thanks
    Primrose
    When it comes to waste, I feel guilty sometimes when I wash some
    greasy aluminium foil before putting it in the recycling bin. Now if I was really thifty , Iíd smooth it out flat and reuse it!

I think itís partly a case of just not having enough cupboard space for all these reusable plastic shopping bags, food storage bags, and bits of aluminium foil !
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 3rd Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 9,429 Posts
    • 55,652 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Not sure if I have said this before, but during the time we were paying off an IVA and I was into moneysaving, I once spilled a small container of sweetener tablets on the kitchen worktop and frantically started to pick them up and put them back into the container. I realised I was maybe getting too obsessional when I found myself trying to pick the last sweetener tablet out of the sink and dry it on a tea towel!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 15,598 Posts
    • 127,349 Thanks
    JackieO
    Not sure if I have said this before, but during the time we were paying off an IVA and I was into moneysaving, I once spilled a small container of sweetener tablets on the kitchen worktop and frantically started to pick them up and put them back into the container. I realised I was maybe getting too obsessional when I found myself trying to pick the last sweetener tablet out of the sink and dry it on a tea towel!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    T hanks for that gem just spluttered coffee down myself
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 4th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Archergirl
    When it comes to waste, I feel guilty sometimes when I wash some
    greasy aluminium foil before putting it in the recycling bin. Now if I was really thifty , Iíd smooth it out flat and reuse it!

I think itís partly a case of just not having enough cupboard space for all these reusable plastic shopping bags, food storage bags, and bits of aluminium foil !
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Our recycling doesn't take foil of any sort.....
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 7,055 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Was on a course today. They had a counter with paper bags and jars of three types of sweets. I put some sweets in a bag and took them to our table for everyone to eat. Only a couple were taken so I bought the rest of the bag home - I didnít want them to go to waste. They will do nicely for when hubby and I are on our travels.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4902.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 7,055 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    When hubby and I go away. I always pack my hot chocolate n a small Tupperware countainer so that I can also have a Ďcheapí drink. Hubby always brings the tea and coffee designated for me home.

If we have a Hotel in the town we will always go back to the room for a mid afternoon drink rather than pay for it.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4902.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 9th Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    consultant31
    Our recycling doesn't take foil of any sort.....
    Originally posted by Archergirl

Ours specify that if foil will scrunch up and stay scrunched, then it can be recycled.

I'm always defeated by the plastics recycling though.....will they take the plastic dishes that ready meals come in? Or margarine tubs?
    I hate throwing away something that I can recycle.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 9th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Archergirl
    I'm always defeated by the plastics recycling though.....will they take the plastic dishes that ready meals come in? Or margarine tubs?
    I hate throwing away something that I can recycle. [/QUOTE]

I know, ours takes bottles but dosen't want the lids, it's all very confusing........
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 9th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 6,807 Posts
    • 35,759 Thanks
    tattycath
    Ours specify that if foil will scrunch up and stay scrunched, then it can be recycled.

I hate throwing away something that I can recycle.
    Originally posted by consultant31
    Ours seem to take any kind of plastic tubs and lids as long as they aren't dark colours
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    Mortgage overpayments: August: £203.90
    July : £5.05/£200 grocery 1/7/17 £98.36/£150
    Emergency savings £67.00/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £60
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 9th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,140 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    Our area collects the usual glass bottles/jars plus aerosols/tins/cans, but not foil and all papers/envelopes. They've also recently upped their game on plastics to more than just bottles. We can now include tetra packs/plastic cartons/punnets and clean tubs. It's great for marge tubs and cold meat packs and when we eat meat, veggies or fruits from the supermarkets...esp. YS finds of grapes, strawberries etc. as these used to make me wish they just came in a paper bag like the ones from my grocer...but I can't turn them down at a few penny finds! Same for when I find ys meat.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,230 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    You may find that your local authority / county council website has clear information on what can, and can't be recycled. Ours does. (County Durham).
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,642Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin