Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,084Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 117
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Nov 17, 10:52 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 7,058 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    When I am in a shop, if they offer to wrap it in tissue paper I always say yes. When I get home I carefully unwrap it smooth it out and then use it as wrapping paper.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4902.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Nov 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 7,058 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I now use a metal water bottle with a special lid so that I no longer have to buy water in a plastic bottle. (I try to think that I am also helping to save the planet as well as money).
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4902.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Nov 17, 7:36 AM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    Primrose
    Have encouraged local butcher to save his chicken carcasses for us. Every so often we get a free carrier bag full of them and cook them down for delicious stock for soups and risottos.
    • tenuissent
    • By tenuissent 22nd Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    tenuissent
    I am annoyed by the cost of face powder, so I made a mixture I had read about on the internet: baking powder mixed with powdered cinnamon to add a little colour. Don't laugh immediately....I find it perfectly adequate. |You have to make sure it does not "clump" on the face, so I rub it in with an old powder puff.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 22nd Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    AlisonW
    I am annoyed by the cost of face powder, so I made a mixture I had read about on the internet: baking powder mixed with powdered cinnamon to add a little colour. Don't laugh immediately....I find it perfectly adequate. |You have to make sure it does not "clump" on the face, so I rub it in with an old powder puff.
    Originally posted by tenuissent
    Does it make you smell like Christmas?
    • pacamac
    • By pacamac 23rd Nov 17, 12:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pacamac
    Wasp repellent
    Was recently on holiday in Canada and noticed in the outside restaurants they had brown paper bags hanging from the sun parasols. I was told that these keep the wasps away - and apparently it works! so no need to make up paper mache.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Nov 17, 8:21 AM
    • 24,216 Posts
    • 50,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Does it make you smell like Christmas?
    Originally posted by AlisonW
    No bad thing!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 23rd Nov 17, 8:44 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    AlisonW
    No bad thing!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Absolutely.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 23rd Nov 17, 9:07 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,445 Thanks
    Caterina
    Originally posted by tenuissent
    I read somewhere that cocoa powder makes a very suitable bronzer. I offer this untested.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 25th Nov 17, 10:35 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    One of the things I do is to write the date opened on toiletries, makeup and cleaning products, together with how long the last one lasted. That way, I know when I need to buy the replacement without having to stockpile or, worse, running out first. In addition, it gives me an incentive to try to make a product last just a little bit longer than the last one did.

I also do this with dried goods (herbs, spices, rice, flour and baking power), sticking labels onto their Tupperware storage containers.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 24,216 Posts
    • 50,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I read somewhere that cocoa powder makes a very suitable bronzer. I offer this untested.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    I'm sure that during WW2 ladies would use an infusion of tea leaves to apply to their legs, to imitate the look of stockings. A line drawn up the back of the leg with an eyebrow pencil completed the look
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 25th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    Primrose
    One of the things I do is to write the date opened on toiletries, makeup and cleaning products, together with how long the last one lasted. That way, I know when I need to buy the replacement without having to stockpile or, worse, running out first. In addition, it gives me an incentive to try to make a product last just a little bit longer than the last one did.

I also do this with dried goods (herbs, spices, rice, flour and baking power), sticking labels onto their Tupperware storage containers.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane

Somebody told me to write the date of first use on a white space on the base of these new low energy lamp bulbs which are supposed to be guaranteed for five years. I did, and one blew the other day but of course by then I'd thrown the packaging and the receipt away so I guess the manufacturers/retailers are banking on most customers doing the same so they never have to issue refunds !
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 27th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I'm sure that during WW2 ladies would use an infusion of tea leaves to apply to their legs, to imitate the look of stockings. A line drawn up the back of the leg with an eyebrow pencil completed the look

good thing I wasn't around then, my hands shake at the best of times so would look dreadful
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Nov 17, 9:38 AM
    • 15,634 Posts
    • 127,788 Thanks
    JackieO
    purpleybat the 'Nora Batty ' look isn't good I can remember my late Mum doing that in the late 1940s and I thought it so clever when I was a little girl then my Aunt who lived in America sent Mum a big parcel every couple of months and stuffed inside using up the spaces inbetween stuff she sent nylons and I can remember my mum crying ,she was so pleased to get these wonderful things.There was a shop in Lewisham in London that had a lady in the front window that would use a machine to repair stockings with 8 ladders costing 2s6d If yo laddered you stockings,or later on tights you stopped it quickly with a dab of clear nail varnish to stop it 'running '

JackieO x
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 28th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    Primrose
    Jackie O's comments about food parcels reminded me of a Canadian relative who, sent over a wartime or post wartime gift - a wooden case full of dried bananas. They were lined up in rows which resembled sticky dried dog poo and had a very strong fragrance. I remember the case sitting on the landing and my mum opening it up and picking one to nibble every time she walked past!
    I also recall my first introduction to fresh bananas - my mum had queued at the greengrocers for hours to buy just two of them and her dismay was boundless when I thought you had to eat the skin and threw it on the pavement in disgust at the taste! Oranges too were an absolute rareity during the war and immediate post war years. Now they are so common we sometimes allow them to wrinkle and go uneaten in our fruit bowls!

Nothing like a period of food rationing to appreciate the value of the food we eat!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 28th Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 16,764 Thanks
    Siebrie
    My Mum (10 years old at the time) remembers receiving clothes parcels from a distant relative in Canada after WW2, and they contained trousers for girls! The horror! She was only allowed to wear them underneath a skirt or dress, as if they were thick tights.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7105,08= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 28th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 40,415 Thanks
    monnagran
    I also remember my first taste of a banana - I loved it.

It was the idea of ice cream that puzzled me. My mum had described it to me but somehow, although I understood that it was cold and sweet, I thought that it was dry, like cold compressed powder. It was a great shock to find out that it was wet.

Does anyone else remember when "prewar" was used as a well-known adjective? I wasn't sure what it meant exactly, but knew that all things pre-war had to be something indescribably wonderful.

We are getting away from food here. Sorry.

ETA. Wrong thread. Even sorrier.
    Last edited by monnagran; 28-11-2017 at 3:16 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 28th Nov 17, 3:25 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 45,287 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I think it's absolutely fascinating. My older sister remembers parcels from her Godmother in Canada. My Mum and Dad met in a displaced persons' camp in Dusseldorf at the end of the war, and came over to the UK. My Mum was originally engaged to an older, Estonian man, (she was Estonian). Then she met my Dad, who was a handsome young Latvian.
    Mum came across to the UK as one of the 'Balt Cygnets', one of the young women of Baltic heritage in Germany whom the British Government deemed suitable for 're-education' post-war, and effectively imported to solve the labour shortages in posts that British workers were reluctant to fill.

Mum was a TB nurse, Dad also became one when his English was good enough, but worked as a farm labourer first.
    He had been studying to become a mathematics teacher in Latvia. Mum had worked as a children's nurse.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 28th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,445 Thanks
    Caterina
    I heard they used gravy!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 29th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,555 Thanks
    MandM90
    I heard they used gravy!
    Originally posted by Caterina
    Gosh, my DH loves gravy. If I did that the house would be stuffed full of children
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter