Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,102Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 08-03-2016 at 2:26 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 113
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Dec 16, 2:07 PM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 24,795 Thanks
    Primrose
    For the last two Christmases we have found ourselves just a duo for Christmas lunch so the most economical way of handling the meal to get "the full Montty" was to buy two chicken breasts, slice them lengthways along their middle, stuff them with savoury stuffing,and roast them with a rasher of bacon wrapped round them. Takes a fraction of the time it takes to cook a whole bird and there's no wastage. We normally cook an extra breast to eat cold in sandwiches.

Often in the past there has been so much food left over at Christmas that we've ended up eating it when it is past its best to avoid wasting but this way there is no wastage.

Any left over stuffing mix can be mixed in with mashed potatoes and cooked sprouts to make some savoury colcannon type rissoles which make a tasty Boxing Day breakfast treat.
    Last edited by Primrose; 04-12-2016 at 2:10 PM.
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 5th Dec 16, 1:32 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    Muffin man 7 I tend to use just acrylic yarn a lot so most of my scraps are acrylic. Much easier to just pop in the washing machine. I do like the idea of popping them into a duvet cover though, would keep a few together.
    Thank you for the suggestion, one I've washed some I'll try that out
    Em xx
    Originally posted by EmberJ
    Glad you like the idea i gained a dog four years ago son could nt take him to new house and ive found its the best way to stop his claws catching in the blanket or i use the fleece ones

I feel bad now i didnt mean wool as in wool anytime i knit i always call it wool but cant have real wool sets my eczema off
    I do like your idea of more than one in the cover this would keep me warm and make washing easier too cezer the dog like s to pull the filling out of the quilt ive at least 3 i need to fix is easy to do its just me and him and i just cut damaged bit off and sew it up ok is not as long but im only 5'2" so not an issue like fixing things up
    I was going to make window quilts but am moving soon so instead i just used curtain rings with a clip on to attatch a thin summer quilt ( thatWas shorter thanks to cezer ) it worked really well on an old broom handle held up with cup hooks this was on a door frame as no door at the time between loving room and hallway i ve got doors now but still might use this again this winter
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Dec 16, 6:12 AM
    • 14,499 Posts
    • 114,553 Thanks
    JackieO
    I won't be able to make my local midnight mass on Christmas Eve as I shall be away up in London that evening celebrating my eldest DGS wedding.First time for 15 year that I can't get there, but I'm sure the Big Guy will let me off one night I do love the Christmas Eve carol service at our local church, give the real meaning of Christmas to me .Not all the adverts and hullabaloo thats in the media just a quiet reflection of the past year and hope for the coming one.

I agree the coming year will be for a lot of us, another notch to tighen on your belt, cash-wise. But like all of Martins followers I'm sure we will manage somehow
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    Love Food, Hate Waste, for Lent.
    Spent so far this month £3.78 second spend today bringing my total for the month to £25.13
    • Aril
    • By Aril 22nd Dec 16, 8:48 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 16,615 Thanks
    Aril
    I have discovered that I automatically tap the teaspoon to level off the contents whenever I use proper coffee or instant. I didn't even realise I did it but I think it must have saved me a fair amount over the years. I do it with other things too unless a recipe calls for a heaped measure.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 22nd Dec 16, 9:46 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    I have ditched disposable sanitary products and invested in washable sanitary products and a menstrual cup. It will save me a fortune in sanitary products over the long term, mean that I will not run out and be caught out and will send less to landfill too.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Dec 16, 7:52 AM
    • 21,703 Posts
    • 43,625 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have ditched disposable sanitary products and invested in washable sanitary products and a menstrual cup. It will save me a fortune in sanitary products over the long term, mean that I will not run out and be caught out and will send less to landfill too.
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    I thought long and hard about this but it's one sacrifice I just can't make
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Dec 16, 7:59 AM
    • 6,491 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Knowing the Dig menfolk view on Brussels sprouts (blasphemous) I bought the right number (1 per head) loose in early November & froze them.
    Everyone will get their desired Christmas veggies, I will dip the knee at the altar of Done Properly <yes, well, I do *try* most days> & it cost me 7 pence.

I'll buy more for me to freeze & enjoy later when the current rush has lapsed.
    • Sylar321
    • By Sylar321 11th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Sylar321
    Something I do... I save the plastic bag packaging that my toilet rolls come in and use them to line my small bathroom pedal bin. They're already in the bathroom which is a bonus.
    Virtual sealed pot challenge 34 2016 £300.81/£500
    2017 £11.06/£500
    Of
    365 day penny challenge £ 13.26/£667.95
    HTB isa- £450.13
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 11th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I have a friend who gives me homemade jams that are impossible to spread but taste lovely and I have job lots of chutneys that I've either been given or made myself.... one of my favourite things to do now is to mix them into mashed potatoes, add some herbs and then spread the mix out so is around 1-2ins thick - bake in the oven for approx. 30mins then serve... sounds hideous I know, but its seriously lush and means I waste nothing (plus don't offend my friend!! ��)
    CC £0/£2000; OD £2000/£2000; Relative Debt £0/£6000; Car fund £3500/£8000; Sofa Fund £0/2000; GC £322.34/£3600 MFW £50/£22968.96
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 24,795 Thanks
    Primrose
    I think we need a new thread on "100 interesting ways to use Mashed Potatoes".
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 11th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 6,308 Thanks
    melanzana
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Or even just potatoes!

I love me spuds I do.
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 13th Mar 17, 5:02 AM
    • 4,709 Posts
    • 14,368 Thanks
    consultant31
    Mashed potato, spread thinly in a flan case and baked blind, makes a much less fattening (and tasty) base for a flan or savoury pie.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Mar 17, 7:18 AM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 24,795 Thanks
    Primrose
    Originally posted by Primrose

Well, I'm just going to start a new thread on using potatoes so we can keep all our suggestions in one place and hopefully gain some new inspiration for this indispensible vegetable !
    • caroc
    • By caroc 17th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    caroc
    When we get parcels these days, the packaging is often long strips of brown paper scrunched up. I 've been flattening it, rolling it up and using it like kitchen roll for messy kitchen jobs like wiping up grease in pots/pans /plates and wiping out tins/jars for recycling, its very absorbent. It then goes in the composter. I also now use it to peel things on instead of newspaper-better for the worms I think.
    Virtually allcohol free since 4/1/15.(2 drinks)
    "Not drinking at a party is like having a hangover in reverse. You feel really miserable the night before and really good the next morning "
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 12,971 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have just filled a handsoap container with a shampoo that is just too aggressive for my hair. I figured we could use it for hands, and I'll use it to clean the loo.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 4149,82= £ 3633.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,170Posts Today

7,294Users online

Martin's Twitter