Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,101Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 08-03-2016 at 3:26 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 112
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 30th Jul 16, 10:07 AM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Went Lidl have reduced priced food eg peppers, we buy lots, chop them up and then put them in the freezer and use over time.

Reuse wrapping paper on my hubbies presents.
    Hubby and I reuse Valentine cards ( write a new message in every year).
    £2 Savers Club no 2 completed - target achieved
    Save £12k in 2016 - no 73 (£4872/9000).
    Road kill rebels- no 3 £40.70
    Declutter 2016 in 2016. Completed 5/11/16
    CCC no 19 £900/£600 5/ 8months
    • spinningsheep
    • By spinningsheep 31st Jul 16, 1:00 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    spinningsheep
    Anne_Marie do you have a Jumbo near you? You may find something in there. Big ones at King's Mall Paphos and under the flyover at Lemesos. Used to be Orphanides. X
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 31st Jul 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Anne_Marie do you have a Jumbo near you? You may find something in there. Big ones at King's Mall Paphos and under the flyover at Lemesos. Used to be Orphanides. X
    Originally posted by spinningsheep
    Thanks for that, never even thought to look in Jumbo, nearest is about an hour from me. (I never come out of there empty handed ) Needing some more blackout curtains, so will have a look next time I'm there. The cut up pool noodle is doing a sterling job at the moment.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 1st Aug 16, 6:50 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Went Lidl have reduced priced food eg peppers, we buy lots, chop them up and then put them in the freezer and use over time.

Reuse wrapping paper on my hubbies presents.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I love how you keep the Valentine cards and write a new message. What a treasure and a lovely way to make the day special. I'm stealing this idea!
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 1st Aug 16, 8:55 AM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    I love how you keep the Valentine cards and write a new message. What a treasure and a lovely way to make the day special. I'm stealing this idea!
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Used to do this too....started off when hubby came home from sea unexpectedly one year, and I hadn't bought a card, so looked out the one from the year before. He initially thought that I had gone mad and bought the same card twice, and then it dawned on him, so we just kept it up, and he did the same with mine.
    • Sylar321
    • By Sylar321 1st Aug 16, 12:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Sylar321
    It took me a good few days but I have read this entire thread and got some great tips so thanks everyone There's quite a few that I already do and it's nice to see I'm not alone with some of the things I do to save the pennies as I'm sure others think me a bit odd.

Can't really think of much that's not already been said but to save on washing my hair and getting through shampoo, I use talcom powder on the first day my hair starts to feel like it needs a wash. I used to buy dry shampoo but realised talc does pretty much the same job and it's cheaper and goes further. Although, it makes it quite static, but I can live with that.
    Sealed pot challenge member 069 £90/£400
    20p savers member 72 £52.80/£100
    Virtual sealed pot challenge 34 £300.81/£500
    Sell £1000 member 42 £74.91/£500
    Grocery Challenge- Aug £308.86/£300
    Oct £ 280.98/£280
    • mobo1980
    • By mobo1980 11th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    mobo1980
    Not sure if anyones has already used this ,but I bought my o/h a flask for work that he never used so now i boil the kettle and pour rest of the hot water in here - it keeps it hot for upto 12 hours so don't have to boil kettle as much
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 11th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    givememoney
    Not quite sure if this works anymore, but just in case it does. Buy a gift voucher which comes with a card. Take the voucher out and just sent the card. This way, if you were only going to send a card, you have that card for free and use the voucher yourself another time.
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Our electric kettle died so we have started to use our Le Creuset stove top kettle that we bought years ago in the sales. We also recently bought a push top thermos that holds 2 litres of water for £20. Now we only boil the kettle 3 times a day and fill upthe thermos. This gives us water on demand for hot drinks. The left over water washes up lunch and dinner and as we have calor gas and have paid for our gas in advance we feel like the water is for free!
    Proud to be mortgage free
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Oct 16, 2:42 PM
    • 13,905 Posts
    • 108,460 Thanks
    JackieO
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Around the late 1990s my late husband bought me a beautiful Christmas card one year, it was so nice with beautiful words and not at all like him to buy as a rule, the following year I told him not to buy me another one as I would put his previous one up on the mantlepiece at Christmas.

Every year I would get it out and put it up and on the back of the card I would write the date and year

I sadly lost him in July 2003 to a heart attack, but still every year I put his card up on the mantlepiece and write the date on the back.

To me its as though he was still around laughing and saying 'Oh JackieO (his nickname for me ) what are you like My two DDs always look for their Dads card every year as well
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 NSD today
    • MrsRogers
    • By MrsRogers 11th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 2,857 Thanks
    MrsRogers
    I mentioned this a long time ago but I'm going to repeat it. Time how long it takes to charge an item and keep a note of it. Then when charging it set an alarm (on your phone or kitchen timer) to remind you to switch it off so you don't waste any electricity
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    If this is for your phone there are apps for that now
    2016 we are moving house so tightened belts are required.

I Quit Smoking March 2010
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 5:34 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Around the late 1990s my late husband bought me a beautiful Christmas card one year, it was so nice with beautiful words and not at all like him to buy as a rule, the following year I told him not to buy me another one as I would put his previous one up on the mantlepiece at Christmas.

Every year I would get it out and put it up and on the back of the card I would write the date and year

I sadly lost him in July 2003 to a heart attack, but still every year I put his card up on the mantlepiece and write the date on the back.

To me its as though he was still around laughing and saying 'Oh JackieO (his nickname for me ) what are you like My two DDs always look for their Dads card every year as well
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I absolutely love this precious tradition you have imparted to your family. So so sweet.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Slowly57
    As most people love crossing things off a list - I have one on the fridge door of things that need using up soonest (half jars/tins of stuff, leftovers, fruit etc). Brilliant reminder and actually uses up all those things that otherwise end up in the green bucket or get shoved to the back and forgotten about

I also decant my jumbo containers of clothes washing liquid/fab conditioner/washing up liquid into smaller bottles as a) they fit in under the sink better and b) the bigger the bottle, the more that gets used!
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • EmberJ
    • By EmberJ 3rd Dec 16, 4:53 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    EmberJ
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned on the first one but I've not seen it on this one, and I've spent the past few days reading from start to finish.
    I crochet a lot, and am teaching myself to knit, my mum knits and crochets tlk, but I realised she throws away oddments of yarn after projects, sometimes as much as half a ball. I've always kept oddments and either crochet granny squares, or crochet all of my oddments into stripes on a blanket, and add the squares on. Mum now gives me all of her scraps, and my nan and aunt often pick up any yarn they see in charity shops for me, all to be added into my squares or oddmemt stripes unless there is enough for another project I fancy.
    The blankets don't necessarily look particularly nice (I do think they look quite homely and will be very grateful for them when I move into my partners very old very cold cottage) but are really rather warm

Sometimes I'll crochet two or more strands together as it can help the colours sit together a little better, and makes the blanket extra thick. I've made cushion covers this way, and though I can hardly knit, I'm sure you could knit this way too.

Really do hope this thread hasn't died as I've loved reading through it and I plan on reading through the first soon,but really must get on with the house work I've neglected due to being absolutely absorbed in this thread.

Em xx
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 3rd Dec 16, 8:31 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    Siebrie
    For st. Nicolas we give dds one main present of about €15 and a few smaller gifts to fill it all up. DH and I get useful stuff, e.g. any kitchen equipment that broke in the last two months will be replaced on 5 December. Good quality curry paste, coffee, specialty tea. Not ott gifts, nothing that will clutter. The whole event costs about €120/GBP105 for four, including simple dinner and snacks. We don't do gifts at Christmas, saving us a lot of money. We do join the religious celebration, giving us a lot of enjoyment, and this year dds and I are in the musical, giving us a lot of fun.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 3rd Dec 16, 9:36 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned on the first one but I've not seen it on this one, and I've spent the past few days reading from start to finish.
    I crochet a lot, and am teaching myself to knit, my mum knits and crochets tlk, but I realised she throws away oddments of yarn after projects, sometimes as much as half a ball. I've always kept oddments and either crochet granny squares, or crochet all of my oddments into stripes on a blanket, and add the squares on. Mum now gives me all of her scraps, and my nan and aunt often pick up any yarn they see in charity shops for me, all to be added into my squares or oddmemt stripes unless there is enough for another project I fancy.
    The blankets don't necessarily look particularly nice (I do think they look quite homely and will be very grateful for them when I move into my partners very old very cold cottage) but are really rather warm

Sometimes I'll crochet two or more strands together as it can help the colours sit together a little better, and makes the blanket extra thick. I've made cushion covers this way, and though I can hardly knit, I'm sure you could knit this way too.

Really do hope this thread hasn't died as I've loved reading through it and I plan on reading through the first soon,but really must get on with the house work I've neglected due to being absolutely absorbed in this thread.

Em xx
    Originally posted by EmberJ
    As i was reading your post i thought maybe if you wanted to you could put the blankets you are making inside a quilt cover you would then have the warmth and it would look nice too and washing would be much easier because you would only need to wash the cover hope this helps
    Yes you can knit with 2 strand of wool i used to knit a lot not done any for a while maybe it time to start again thank you so much for this post
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge no1749 £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 3rd Dec 16, 9:39 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    As most people love crossing things off a list - I have one on the fridge door of things that need using up soonest (half jars/tins of stuff, leftovers, fruit etc). Brilliant reminder and actually uses up all those things that otherwise end up in the green bucket or get shoved to the back and forgotten about

I also decant my jumbo containers of clothes washing liquid/fab conditioner/washing up liquid into smaller bottles as a) they fit in under the sink better and b) the bigger the bottle, the more that gets used!
    Originally posted by Slowly57
    Thank u for this post need to do this myself would save me so much again thank you
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge no1749 £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • EmberJ
    • By EmberJ 3rd Dec 16, 10:32 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    EmberJ
    Muffin man 7 I tend to use just acrylic yarn a lot so most of my scraps are acrylic. Much easier to just pop in the washing machine. I do like the idea of popping them into a duvet cover though, would keep a few together.
    Thank you for the suggestion, one I've washed some I'll try that out
    Em xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 16, 7:54 AM
    • 13,905 Posts
    • 108,460 Thanks
    JackieO
    I knit for The Linus Project and have done for over 10 years and small knitted squares are excellent for using up oddments of wool. My friend crochets and left over bits from her blankets get used up in striped blankets with mine, thirty two squares are all sewn together, to make a square then I knit around the whole lot in white and batches of these little blankets get sent off to Guildford via my friend who collects them and are sewn into single blankets by another group of ladies that get sent all over the world for children who often have nothing but the clothes they stand up in. When the dreadful Tsunami happened a few years ago at Christmas, the charity sent 68 tonnes of these blankets out there its nice for me to think that somewhere in the world a child is warm because of my small scraps of knitting and absolutely nothing is ever wasted.These blankets are specifically sent to children because of their often bright colours and go to all four corners of the world where there are children in need I have 7 healthy warm well-fed grandchildren and I hope that somewhere a child goes to bed a bit warmer than the previous night because of all the ladies like me who enjoy knitting and want to help a little
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 NSD today
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Dec 16, 1:59 PM
    • 20,401 Posts
    • 40,208 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I love this thread and hope we can keep it going this month. I predict a serious re-surgence in the New Year!

I had applied to take part in the next series of BBC's Right on the Money. Unfortunately Ihaven't made it through to 5 minutes of fame, apparently there are not enough savings to be made in my lifestlyle!! Which on reflection is a good thing

We don't do gifts at Christmas, saving us a lot of money. We do join the religious celebration, giving us a lot of enjoyment, and this year dds and I are in the musical, giving us a lot of fun.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Carol services, candles, mince pies and the odd tipple are one of the best aspects of the season. They bring so much pleasure but don't cost a great deal. I have dug out a list of local church services and am looking forward to them!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter