Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hak987
    Tesco Broadband - no smtp outgoing mail server - help!
    • 21st Apr 10, 1:25 PM
    Tesco Broadband - no smtp outgoing mail server - help! 21st Apr 10 at 1:25 PM
    The latest Tesco Broadband does not provide any SMTP outgoing mail server relay service! I can't believe a ISP provider wouldn't provide this service and have only just found out now that I've switched to it! Now I'm stuck as I want to keep using Outlook for my existing email address (with my former ISP) and need an SMTP server to relay my outgoing messages.
    Does anyone know of a free SMTP relay service?
    Has anyone else had this same Tesco problem (Note it is with the latest broadband package they are offering)? How have you got round it? (All Tesco's suggest is getting an internet email address e.g. gmail, yahoo etc. but I don't want that.
    Any ideas please?
Page 1
  • jrrowleyws
    • 21st Apr 10, 1:27 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 1:27 PM
    Who provides your email? Surely they have an smtp service you can use?
  • hak987
    • 21st Apr 10, 1:46 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 1:46 PM
    It was Homecall but as they're not my ISP anymore they're not the ones relaying. I'd really prefer to keep that address though, but even if I don't I can't use Outlook unless my ISP (Tesco) or someone else is able to relay emails.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 21st Apr 10, 6:45 PM
    • 4,524 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:45 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:45 PM

from the Tesco.net broadband website Email Issues webpage...
    Last edited by John Gray; 21-04-2010 at 6:58 PM.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 21st Apr 10, 6:46 PM
    • 4,524 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:46 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:46 PM
    Well, I've tried pinging smtp.tesco.net and it gives the same IP address as pop3.tesco.net and mail.tesco.net. Take your pick (and mix)!
  • hak987
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:07 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:07 PM
    I'm not sure about pinging but none of those work!
    I've been told by Tesco that they don't offer the relay service on their new broadband so those Tesco.net servers don't seem to work.
    Is my only option to pay for something like Authsmtp who provide a relay service? Has anyone used them? Is there another way?
    Thanks for trying to help me!
  • hak987
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:14 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:14 PM
    Just discovered on Tescobroadband.com's FAQs it says:

"If I set up Tesco Broadband, will I lose my existing email address? If you’ve already got an email account with someone like Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo, then you can keep using it as normal. If your email account came with your last internet service provider, there’s a chance it could be deleted or you may not be able to access your old account – so you should check with them first. If you supplied an email address given to you by another broadband provider at sign up, it is important you create a new one from one of the internet email providers. Then let us know what this is by calling our Customer Care team, as this will be our main route of contact with you."

Notice that they only refer to internet email providers and also try to blame the other ISPs - but the reality (that I've only just discovered) is that they don't offer the SMTP service so I can't use Outlook etc. with their broadband without a separate SMTP service provider. Ahhhhhhh..... Any suggestions?
    • tronator
    • By tronator 21st Apr 10, 7:20 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    tronator
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:20 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:20 PM
    I'm not sure about pinging but none of those work!
    I've been told by Tesco that they don't offer the relay service on their new broadband so those Tesco.net servers don't seem to work.
    Originally posted by hak987
    Any error messages? I guess they only accept email withs a Tesco email address as sender.

Your story shows that you should NEVER use your ISP's email address as your main email address. Get a Google/Hotmail/Yahoo/... address or register your own domain and chose from a number of providers.

Another idea is, use Gmail and change the sender email address in the settings. After confirming that this address belongs to you you can send emails with this address. Then you set up a forward on your old email server to Gmail or fetch your emails from your Gmail account.

Edit: There is a SMTP server running on smtp.tesco.net. It just refuses a connection from my IP address as I'm not with Tesco. Can you try to open a command prompt and type in "telnet smtp.tesco.net 25" without the quotes?
    Last edited by tronator; 21-04-2010 at 7:26 PM.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 21st Apr 10, 7:21 PM
    • 4,524 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:21 PM
    • 21st Apr 10, 7:21 PM
    I suspect you will find it difficult to find an SMTP server through which to route your outgoing emails - because that's exactly what spammers do!

I would say you have a good case for cancelling your Tesco contract, because they are not providing the same service as (almost?) all other ISPs.

If you stay, then AuthSMTP might be one of a very few options (£14 a year, it would seem...)
  • hak987
    What's annoying too is that they won't supply a Tesco email address! grrrrr...

tronator- my issue is less with using my old ISP address and more with being able to use Outlook. Don't all the Hotmails etc. just work online or can you set any of them up to download to Outlook (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Thanks for all your advice
    • tronator
    • By tronator 21st Apr 10, 7:30 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    tronator
    What's annoying too is that they won't supply a Tesco email address! grrrrr...

tronator- my issue is less with using my old ISP address and more with being able to use Outlook. Don't all the Hotmails etc. just work online or can you set any of them up to download to Outlook (sorry if this is a stupid question).
    Gmail supports POP3 and IMAP. You only need to enable it in your account. There was another thread about it here today...
  • hak987
    Gmail supports POP3 and IMAP. You only need to enable it in your account. There was another thread about it here today...
    Originally posted by tronator
    Oh right, thanks. I'll take a look - I didn't realise!
  • Mr_Oink
    Tesco Broaband more or less equals virgin media who were supposed to now be using port 465 for outbound SMTP. That said, I don't know if that has floated down to Tesco.

What I can say is port 25 SMTP is open and taking connections, but seems to refuse my gentle nc connect attempt. I assume this is probably to limit access to their own customer ranges:

nc mail.tesco.net 25
    421 aamtaout01-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from x.x.x.x
    So before you spend any money, just check your settings as there does not appear to be an audit trail of issues with outbound SMTP missing from the Tesco within an easy google.

If they really are providing *no* email now, then consider taking up a gmail account. You can pop/smtp that without cost.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 21st Apr 10, 8:13 PM
    • 7,448 Posts
    • 5,706 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    The latest Tesco Broadband does not provide any SMTP outgoing mail server relay service! I can't believe a ISP provider wouldn't provide this service and have only just found out now that I've switched to it! Now I'm stuck as I want to keep using Outlook for my existing email address (with my former ISP) and need an SMTP server to relay my outgoing messages.
    Does anyone know of a free SMTP relay service?
    Has anyone else had this same Tesco problem (Note it is with the latest broadband package they are offering)? How have you got round it? (All Tesco's suggest is getting an internet email address e.g. gmail, yahoo etc. but I don't want that.
    Any ideas please?
    All you need to is send it out with a Reply-To address as your old email address , using the Tesco supplied address. It is in the options of Outlook but my access to Outlook is not here at the mo, she's away till Friday. I know that in Thunderbird it is a drop down box on the To line, but outlook I think it is not that easy.

eg
    Code:
    To: hisfriend@here
    Reply-To: DCM@DCM.com.replyisp
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
  • hak987
    All you need to is send it out with a Reply-To address as your old email address , using the Tesco supplied address.
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    But that's the problem - they've not supplied an email address and won't.
  • Mr_Oink
    They don't offer a control panel / portal to set one up? Or to set up an 'extra' one?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 21st Apr 10, 8:59 PM
    • 7,448 Posts
    • 5,706 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    But that's the problem - they've not supplied an email address and won't.
    Sorry .... What package have you from TESCO ? all their one's I found have up to 15 email address and more, mind you it is not exactly cheap according to tesco.net "Value Broadband is (13.67 / month for 512k + 5 Gb download )
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
  • hak987
    Thanks for your comments - to make this thread easier initially I said 'I' throughout but in actual fact this is my Dad who has this package and all the troubles. [It seemed easier just to say it was me].
    His package is Tesco broadband with inclusive anytime calls. I don't think it is personally that cheap for broadband but they make a lot of calls and it is £23 per month all inclusive. He doesn't want to change it really, hence my queries.
    He's decided to go with paying £14 for the AUTHSMTP and stick with his old address. I think eventually (when he can face changing his email address) he might go with gmail (but he is 78 after all! and would rather stick with what he knows).
    Many thanks to all of you for your help - it's certainly been a learning curve.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

3,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• RT @MoneyTelegraph: Use the same password for everything? You're fuelling a surge in current account fraud https://t.co/hLRY5gkZoE

• Follow Martin