IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how to stop cat scratching wallpaper!?!?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,876
# 1
h007
Old 20-04-2010, 9:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default how to stop cat scratching wallpaper!?!?

hi guys,

we have recently redecorated in our front room and my youngest cat has taken to scratching on the new wall paper!! (he never did this with the previous paper and he has 3 scratch posts to choose from.)

does anyone have any experience, advice or ideas on how to get him to stop?

thanks
# 2
no1catman
Old 20-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by h007 View Post
hi guys,
we have recently redecorated in our front room and my youngest cat has taken to scratching on the new wall paper!! (he never did this with the previous paper and he has 3 scratch posts to choose from.)
does anyone have any experience, advice or ideas on how to get him to stop?
thanks
I don't know what it is about wallpaper, that cats like - my late cat used to scratch some areas (especially raised textured type), but not others. There may be a 'smell' there that is attracting him, mask it with something else - is it only one area or all around the room. Otherwise, the best aversion therapy is a water pistol, but don't let him see you do it - he has to associate the scratching of that wall paper with the water, not you!
Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to no1catman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
chrisaj
Old 20-04-2010, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My late cat loved woodchip paper, he used to scratch it to bits, I'm sure by the expression on his face whilst he was doing it he was really enjoying it .
Cats don't like orange's, so have you got any orange essential oil that you could maybe put a couple of drops on a cotton wool ball and leave it near where he tends to scratch. Maybe worth a try
I get paid to smell great
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisaj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
h007
Old 20-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks guys - will try the suggestions
only trouble is he seems to be doing it all around the room!!
# 5
paulwf
Old 20-04-2010, 1:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If he isn't using the scratching posts (can't tell from your post if he is or just ignoring them) some catnip sprinkled around the base of the post can work wonders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulwf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Artytarty
Old 20-04-2010, 2:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

in the 70's we had lovely soft "Novamura" wallpaper. Ther used to be an ad. some of you may remeber where a house was burguled and they stole the wallpaper. That was Novamura.
Anyhow the cat just adored the texture and he had it literally in shreds!It was like the shower attack from Psycho!
The Following User Says Thank You to Artytarty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
RacyRed
Old 21-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Mine just love the feel of textured wallpaper beneath their claws.

In our old home they never scratched anything but now, while we are staying with family who have woodchip on the walls they scratch any chance they get

I've had to offer to redecorate when me and the furry pests move out.
My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
Proud to be a chic shopper
The Following User Says Thank You to RacyRed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
msfoxymax
Old 21-04-2010, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh the joys! We got our 2 tom cat brothers in november last year and lets just say its been erm............................difficult with the wallpaper . Loki excels in his DIY skills especially in the hall where he has decorated every wall and one has a lovely plasterboard feature now but we still love him to bits. Lets hope it gets a bit better now we have let them go outside to make the trees into sawdust! I'm terrible at checking them as they look sooooooooooo cute lol!
I love my New Year's day baby girl Olivia xxxx
The Following User Says Thank You to msfoxymax For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
MCMitten
Old 22-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Last year the water tank in the loft burst and flooded DS's newly decorated bedroom, the ceiling fell down and I had to start over again
I let DS choose his new wallpaper and a month later his room was back to normal
Unfortunately the wallpaper was textured and the cat had a feild day exercising his claws. The paper is now ripped to shreds and since kids colour roll went out of buisness I cant get the paper again to repair the torn areas
I would understand if he didn't have any posts to scratch, but the little pest has a large activity centre and a seperate post downstairs along with a spare basket FULL of toys (I still love him tough).

Unfortunately some cats just like wallpaper (and carpets and curtains) I've found that he only likes the rooms will textured paper in them (sadly this is most of them) so if your wallpaper is textured my only suggestion would be to change it to something smooth.

Sorry i'm not much help
Good luck
# 10
Carrera74
Old 22-04-2010, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My two like wallpaper and the carpet. They also like the mat by the back door so must be a texture thing.

I say a sharp 'no' if I catch them in the act or I have squirted the older one with water when he started on the wallpaper. After a few squirts he hasn't done it again. The baby likes having water squirted at her lol but she listens to the 'no'.

They both ignored their catposts until I sprayed them with catnip. I didn't realise how potent this stuff is!!
# 11
missmontana
Old 22-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It could be the smell of the wall paper paste, my 2 girls love to chew at anything sticky, they have a good sniff then start licking and chewing!
As others have suggested, catnip to attract him to the right places and maybe a treat as a reward when he does use the scratch post.
Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
# 12
Fire Fox
Old 23-04-2010, 5:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Might be partially a scent marking thing, as cats have scent glands in their pads - in that case you might try Feliway? Some cats prefer walls/ furniture to scratching posts as they like a surface that is tall/ broad/ sturdy - many posts are not high enough or not stable enough. If they are simply liking the soft texture of the wallpaper maybe try the corrugated cardboard scratch boxes from Pets at Home (£5)?
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 13
catflea
Old 23-04-2010, 6:17 PM

In terms of Sturdy Scratching posts they can be obtained quite cheaply.

Dave has a 4ft Tall Scratch post which we made from an offcut of carpet, a length of 4x4 wood and an MDF base - he loves it. Even climbs up the ruddy thing.... Cost £3 for the offcut and everything else was kicking about anyway
Proud of who, and what, I am.
The Following User Says Thank You to catflea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
CarineG
Old 30-04-2010, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Get one of those water spray for flowers and spray him when he does it, he will hopefully associate scratching the wallpaper with get soaked. It may help.
Obviously, he may still do it when you are not there.

This technique worked well when my cat was scratching the sofas.
Closed Thread