Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 19th Apr 10, 2:48 PM
    • 1,590Posts
    • 640Thanks
    paul2louise
    Does pee help kill moss
    • 19th Apr 10, 2:48 PM
    Does pee help kill moss 19th Apr 10 at 2:48 PM
    I mentioned this in another discussion on this board but i wondered if anyone knew or had evidence that it can work. I presume it must be diluted before application

thanks
Page 1
    • conradmum
    • By conradmum 19th Apr 10, 8:06 PM
    • 4,813 Posts
    • 9,169 Thanks
    conradmum
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:06 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:06 PM
    I think we're getting a little obsessed with the golden liquid on this board!

Yes, pee can kill moss but that's because it'll kill most things if it isn't diluted. If you water it neat onto your lawn it'll kill the moss and the grass in equal measure. Diluted it'll feed them both in equal measure.
  • mike24w
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:20 PM
    Not sure about killing moss but male pee is good for compost heaps - female pee isn't for some reason.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 19th Apr 10, 8:22 PM
    • 16,479 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    amersall
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:22 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 8:22 PM
    would this work undiluted on concrete slabs?its between joints and block paving as well not got a lot but it doesnt look nice
    Last edited by amersall; 19-04-2010 at 8:27 PM.

• paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 19th Apr 10, 9:07 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    paul2louise
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:07 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:07 PM
    fair enough but natural sources instead of chemical any day. If vinegar has many uses then i wondered if pee does. I had seen on ther internet that diluted dog pee is good for lawns, but never mind I will stick to using it occasionly on the compost, diluted of course

ta
    Last edited by paul2louise; 19-04-2010 at 9:11 PM.
    • Kevie192
    • By Kevie192 19th Apr 10, 9:14 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    Kevie192
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:14 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:14 PM
    If vinegar has many uses then i wondered if pee does.
    Originally posted by paul2louise
    I'm all for finding many uses but I aint peeing on me chips!!!

• paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 19th Apr 10, 9:41 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    paul2louise
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:41 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 9:41 PM
    I'm all for finding many uses but I aint peeing on me chips!!!

Originally posted by Kevie192
    ha ha, you make me laugh, no i think i will still to vinegar for my chips too
  • irishwexford
    • 19th Apr 10, 11:22 PM
    • 19th Apr 10, 11:22 PM
    New Headlines
    Police are investigating a spat of complaints from the general public of sightings of people peeing all over the place, front gardens, paths, garden sheds, allotments. Where will it all end?
    • conradmum
    • By conradmum 20th Apr 10, 8:03 AM
    • 4,813 Posts
    • 9,169 Thanks
    conradmum
    • 20th Apr 10, 8:03 AM
    • 20th Apr 10, 8:03 AM
    would this work undiluted on concrete slabs?its between joints and block paving as well not got a lot but it doesnt look nice
    Originally posted by amersall
    Do you mean will it kill the weeds growing in the gaps? Well, it won't do them much good if you put it on neat, but it will smell!

Salt is supposed to work pretty well for that, if you can get a big bag cheap, but be aware that the run off when it rains may damage surrounding vegetation too.
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 20th Apr 10, 8:36 AM
    • 10,429 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    I've often heard it said that neat urine will kill most things, but in my experience, I've never killed anything and my fruit bushes get fertilised every year with neat urine, so does my rhubarb, my comfrey and raspberries, tomatoes too if I can't be bothered to dilute it, but never into dry soil, only when it's wet.
    If I've got a dowdy looking piece of grass I'll stick some on that as well.

Try a bit with weeds and see what happens.

As for smelling, well I've not noticed it after a day or so.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 20th Apr 10, 8:39 AM
    • 54,359 Posts
    • 342,425 Thanks
    lostinrates
    I've often heard it said that neat urine will kill most things, but in my experience, I've never killed anything and my fruit bushes get fertilised every year with neat urine, so does my rhubarb, my comfrey and raspberries, tomatoes too if I can't be bothered to dilute it, but never into dry soil, only when it's wet.
    If I've got a dowdy looking piece of grass I'll stick some on that as well.

Try a bit with weeds and see what happens.

As for smelling, well I've not noticed it after a day or so.
    Originally posted by Lotus-eater

Doesn't kill anything for us either. with two girl dogs and I peeing on the grass we don't even have brown patches.....I wonder if we are all deficient in something essentially female?
    Last edited by lostinrates; 20-04-2010 at 9:04 AM.
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 20th Apr 10, 8:42 AM
    • 10,429 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    Doesn't kill anything for us either. with two girl dogs and I peeing on the rass we don't even have brown patches.....I wonder if we are all deficient in something essentially female?
    Originally posted by lostinrates
    I don't know, I remember now my Mum used to have a couple of bit-ches that killed the lawn where they pee'd.

Maybe I'm missing something too
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 20th Apr 10, 6:53 PM
    • 16,479 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    amersall
    Do you mean will it kill the weeds growing in the gaps? Well, it won't do them much good if you put it on neat, but it will smell!

Salt is supposed to work pretty well for that, if you can get a big bag cheap, but be aware that the run off when it rains may damage surrounding vegetation too.
    Originally posted by conradmum
    hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back

• lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 20th Apr 10, 7:12 PM
    • 54,359 Posts
    • 342,425 Thanks
    lostinrates
    hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back

This weekend I scraped moss of a step with the back of a flat rake and a hoe. Saved bending,
    • conradmum
    • By conradmum 20th Apr 10, 7:23 PM
    • 4,813 Posts
    • 9,169 Thanks
    conradmum
    I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 22nd Apr 10, 9:39 AM
    • 16,479 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    amersall
    I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
    Originally posted by conradmum
    thanks for that, i will keep on top of of with a stiff brush. no chemicals have not worked, it is not a lot but it is unsightly, and when i get it out it just returns, a few months later. i must have a soggy garden underneath the slabs and paving, thank you for answering much appreciated

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,244Posts Today

6,243Users online

Martin's Twitter