IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Does pee help kill moss
Closed Thread
Views: 2,619
# 1
paul2louise
Old 19-04-2010, 2:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Does pee help kill moss

I mentioned this in another discussion on this board but i wondered if anyone knew or had evidence that it can work. I presume it must be diluted before application

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to paul2louise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
conradmum
Old 19-04-2010, 8:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think we're getting a little obsessed with the golden liquid on this board!

Yes, pee can kill moss but that's because it'll kill most things if it isn't diluted. If you water it neat onto your lawn it'll kill the moss and the grass in equal measure. Diluted it'll feed them both in equal measure.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conradmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
mike24w
Old 19-04-2010, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not sure about killing moss but male pee is good for compost heaps - female pee isn't for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike24w For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
amersall
Old 19-04-2010, 8:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

would this work undiluted on concrete slabs?its between joints and block paving as well not got a lot but it doesnt look nice

Last edited by amersall; 19-04-2010 at 8:27 PM.
# 5
paul2louise
Old 19-04-2010, 9:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

fair enough but natural sources instead of chemical any day. If vinegar has many uses then i wondered if pee does. I had seen on ther internet that diluted dog pee is good for lawns, but never mind I will stick to using it occasionly on the compost, diluted of course

ta

Last edited by paul2louise; 19-04-2010 at 9:11 PM.
# 6
Kevie192
Old 19-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2louise View Post
If vinegar has many uses then i wondered if pee does.
I'm all for finding many uses but I aint peeing on me chips!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevie192 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
paul2louise
Old 19-04-2010, 9:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevie192 View Post
I'm all for finding many uses but I aint peeing on me chips!!!

ha ha, you make me laugh, no i think i will still to vinegar for my chips too
# 8
irishwexford
Old 19-04-2010, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

New Headlines
Police are investigating a spat of complaints from the general public of sightings of people peeing all over the place, front gardens, paths, garden sheds, allotments. Where will it all end?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishwexford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
conradmum
Old 20-04-2010, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amersall View Post
would this work undiluted on concrete slabs?its between joints and block paving as well not got a lot but it doesnt look nice
Do you mean will it kill the weeds growing in the gaps? Well, it won't do them much good if you put it on neat, but it will smell!

Salt is supposed to work pretty well for that, if you can get a big bag cheap, but be aware that the run off when it rains may damage surrounding vegetation too.
# 10
Lotus-eater
Old 20-04-2010, 8:36 AM

I've often heard it said that neat urine will kill most things, but in my experience, I've never killed anything and my fruit bushes get fertilised every year with neat urine, so does my rhubarb, my comfrey and raspberries, tomatoes too if I can't be bothered to dilute it, but never into dry soil, only when it's wet.
If I've got a dowdy looking piece of grass I'll stick some on that as well.

Try a bit with weeds and see what happens.

As for smelling, well I've not noticed it after a day or so.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lotus-eater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lostinrates
Old 20-04-2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus-eater View Post
I've often heard it said that neat urine will kill most things, but in my experience, I've never killed anything and my fruit bushes get fertilised every year with neat urine, so does my rhubarb, my comfrey and raspberries, tomatoes too if I can't be bothered to dilute it, but never into dry soil, only when it's wet.
If I've got a dowdy looking piece of grass I'll stick some on that as well.

Try a bit with weeds and see what happens.

As for smelling, well I've not noticed it after a day or so.

Doesn't kill anything for us either. with two girl dogs and I peeing on the grass we don't even have brown patches.....I wonder if we are all deficient in something essentially female?

Last edited by lostinrates; 20-04-2010 at 9:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Lotus-eater
Old 20-04-2010, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrates View Post
Doesn't kill anything for us either. with two girl dogs and I peeing on the rass we don't even have brown patches.....I wonder if we are all deficient in something essentially female?
I don't know, I remember now my Mum used to have a couple of bit-ches that killed the lawn where they pee'd.

Maybe I'm missing something too
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lotus-eater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
amersall
Old 20-04-2010, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradmum View Post
Do you mean will it kill the weeds growing in the gaps? Well, it won't do them much good if you put it on neat, but it will smell!

Salt is supposed to work pretty well for that, if you can get a big bag cheap, but be aware that the run off when it rains may damage surrounding vegetation too.
hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lostinrates
Old 20-04-2010, 7:12 PM

Quote:
hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back

This weekend I scraped moss of a step with the back of a flat rake and a hoe. Saved bending,
# 15
conradmum
Old 20-04-2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
The Following User Says Thank You to conradmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
amersall
Old 22-04-2010, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradmum View Post
I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
thanks for that, i will keep on top of of with a stiff brush. no chemicals have not worked, it is not a lot but it is unsightly, and when i get it out it just returns, a few months later. i must have a soggy garden underneath the slabs and paving, thank you for answering much appreciated

The Following User Says Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread