Taking a GCSE as a mature student

I would like to study Spanish to GCSE standard, and take the exam, partly because it will be useful (not essential) in my job, and partly for personal enjoyment. I want a recognised qualification, which taking an introductory evening class in conversational Spanish won't give me. I did O levels in 1987 and have a degree. What's the best route for me to study and sit the exam?

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    As your first point of call I'd contact your local college and see if they offer Spanish as an evening class :)
    I did a BSL course through my local college and it really interesting.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm currently attending a GCSE Portuguese class in the evenings. I'd previously done half a degree but was unable to finish it as we moved away. I wanted to keep my hand in, if you see what I mean, and the GCSE class was the most advanced I could find here, but the teacher is very helpful and has arranged for me to sit AS and A2 exams instead of the GCSE, and there are some people in the class who sat the GCSE last year but have come back just to attend the class this year. I'm taking the class at my local college which has a wide range of classes and subjects for adults, and my class has people from the age of 16 to 60 odd. I can't remember how much it cost but I think it was around £75.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    An alternative to GCSE might be an OU Diploma in Spanish, as the OU may be more geared up to mature students, and you've already experience of studying at degree level.

The Diploma is 2 x 60 unit courses and there are no formal entry requirements but prior knowledge to Intermediate Spanish level is required.

The OU don't do single-language degrees but there's always the option later of using the Diploma as credits towards a BA.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure