Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • islandman
    • By islandman 16th Apr 10, 11:39 AM
    • 3,928Posts
    • 1,676Thanks
    islandman
    Cost of replacement fuse box ?
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:39 AM
    Cost of replacement fuse box ? 16th Apr 10 at 11:39 AM
    The house we have recently moved into, has an old fuse wire fuse box and clearly we need this to be changed to the trip switch type. Has anyone any idea how much this replacement may cost in total please. I have requested an electrician call and give an estimate, but rather than pull in several, if I had a basic idea, I could give them the go ahead to proceed.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Apr 10, 11:54 AM
    • 7,840 Posts
    • 5,919 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:54 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:54 AM
    I was quoted £150 + Vat 8 years ago, loo here for screwfix prices for consumer units, £40-80 + factor in the labour you can probably expect 250-300 now. Pure guess work mind you
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
    • GreenSheep
    • By GreenSheep 16th Apr 10, 12:52 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    GreenSheep
    • 16th Apr 10, 12:52 PM
    • 16th Apr 10, 12:52 PM
    Using the £80 unit (you get what you pay for) and half a day/day labour (depending on how much of a birds nest it is) at £80/160.

So total £160/240.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 16th Apr 10, 2:23 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 16th Apr 10, 2:23 PM
    • 16th Apr 10, 2:23 PM
    Using the £80 unit (you get what you pay for) and half a day/day labour (depending on how much of a birds nest it is) at £80/160.

So total £160/240.
    Originally posted by GreenSheep
    That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39585/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Volex-Consumer-Units/Volex-10-Way-Fully-Insulated-Dual-RCD-Consumer-Unit
    • lfc321
    • By lfc321 16th Apr 10, 2:45 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    lfc321
    • 16th Apr 10, 2:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 10, 2:45 PM
    You may well find that the old fuse box is symptomatic of the fact that the electrics are all very old. Other work may well need doing to bring it up to current regs etc.
    • bonzer
    • By bonzer 16th Apr 10, 5:09 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    bonzer
    • 16th Apr 10, 5:09 PM
    • 16th Apr 10, 5:09 PM
    Does the house have no trip switch at all? I've got an old wire fuse box but there's an ELCB trip switch near the meter.

You can get trip style fuses that just plug into old style fuse boxes. These are literally just fuses and not ELCBs or RCDs. There's a couple lurking near my fuse box although the previous owner has put the fuse wire carriages back in for some reason.

• islandman
    • By islandman 18th Apr 10, 8:29 AM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    islandman
    • 18th Apr 10, 8:29 AM
    • 18th Apr 10, 8:29 AM
    Thanks, I have noted all your replies, will get back toyou.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 11th May 10, 7:52 AM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    islandman
    • 11th May 10, 7:52 AM
    • 11th May 10, 7:52 AM
    [QUOTE=Richie-from-the-Boro;31924487]That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

Tomorrow this work is being done. On a scale of 1-10, what are the chances of this work leading to something else?
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 11th May 10, 10:59 AM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 11th May 10, 10:59 AM
    • 11th May 10, 10:59 AM
    [QUOTE=islandman;32694095]
    That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

Tomorrow this work is being done. On a scale of 1-10, what are the chances of this work leading to something else?
    Originally posted by Richie-from-the-Boro
    It's an awful truth islandman that if the installation finds areas of weakness in your wiring the primary purpose of those RCD's [ earth leakage ] is to protect against electrocution, so you are better off knowing .. .. .. than not knowing.

On any scale, I've no idea, it's entirely possible that it will not find any areas of concern, I mentioned it in the fist place because new consumer units measure leakage to [ 30ish ] milliamp's compared to old fuse box's at say 6 amp for a lighting circuit.

Either way you are doing the right thing, best of luck, and let us know the outcome.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 14th May 10, 6:53 AM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    islandman
    [QUOTE=Richie-from-the-Boro;32698801]

It's an awful truth islandman that if the installation finds areas of weakness in your wiring the primary purpose of those RCD's [ earth leakage ] is to protect against electrocution, so you are better off knowing .. .. .. than not knowing.

On any scale, I've no idea, it's entirely possible that it will not find any areas of concern, I mentioned it in the fist place because new consumer units measure leakage to [ 30ish ] milliamp's compared to old fuse box's at say 6 amp for a lighting circuit.

Either way you are doing the right thing, best of luck, and let us know the outcome.
    Originally posted by islandman
    I am pleased to report that after spending the day with us replacing the fuse box , NO problems arose. A report stating thus is to be issued later today (I think)
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 14th May 10, 11:13 AM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    [QUOTE=islandman;32799671]

I am pleased to report that after spending the day with us replacing the fuse box , NO problems arose. A report stating thus is to be issued later today (I think)
    Originally posted by Richie-from-the-Boro
    - Good work, good outcome !

I'm pleased your sorted and protected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

743Posts Today

5,704Users online

Martin's Twitter