Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Cost of replacement fuse box ? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cost of replacement fuse box ?
Closed Thread
Views: 17,549
# 1
islandman
Old 16-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Cost of replacement fuse box ?

The house we have recently moved into, has an old fuse wire fuse box and clearly we need this to be changed to the trip switch type. Has anyone any idea how much this replacement may cost in total please. I have requested an electrician call and give an estimate, but rather than pull in several, if I had a basic idea, I could give them the go ahead to proceed.
# 2
debitcardmayhem
Old 16-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Location: Depriving a village of an Idiot, whilst waiting for a call from Heaven or Hell re my future

I was quoted 150 + Vat 8 years ago, loo here for screwfix prices for consumer units, 40-80 + factor in the labour you can probably expect 250-300 now. Pure guess work mind you
Be careful what you wish for -
I thought
Quote:
I could do with a stroke of luck so I can stop working
So I had a stroke and have not worked since. Lucky? , you figure

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debitcardmayhem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
GreenSheep
Old 16-04-2010, 12:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Using the 80 unit (you get what you pay for) and half a day/day labour (depending on how much of a birds nest it is) at 80/160.

So total 160/240.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenSheep For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 16-04-2010, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSheep View Post
Using the 80 unit (you get what you pay for) and half a day/day labour (depending on how much of a birds nest it is) at 80/160.

So total 160/240.
That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39585/...-Consumer-Unit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
lfc321
Old 16-04-2010, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You may well find that the old fuse box is symptomatic of the fact that the electrics are all very old. Other work may well need doing to bring it up to current regs etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to lfc321 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bonzer
Old 16-04-2010, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does the house have no trip switch at all? I've got an old wire fuse box but there's an ELCB trip switch near the meter.

You can get trip style fuses that just plug into old style fuse boxes. These are literally just fuses and not ELCBs or RCDs. There's a couple lurking near my fuse box although the previous owner has put the fuse wire carriages back in for some reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonzer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
islandman
Old 18-04-2010, 8:29 AM

Thanks, I have noted all your replies, will get back toyou.
# 8
islandman
Old 11-05-2010, 7:52 AM

[QUOTE=Richie-from-the-Boro;31924487]That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

Tomorrow this work is being done. On a scale of 1-10, what are the chances of this work leading to something else?
# 9
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 11-05-2010, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=islandman;32694095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-from-the-Boro View Post
That's about right for a dual & labour [ below ] but if it's an old [ish] house the O/P should be aware that the sensitivity of a new RCD consumer unit will magnify any pre-exising problems with an old fuse box.

Tomorrow this work is being done. On a scale of 1-10, what are the chances of this work leading to something else?
It's an awful truth islandman that if the installation finds areas of weakness in your wiring the primary purpose of those RCD's [ earth leakage ] is to protect against electrocution, so you are better off knowing .. .. .. than not knowing.

On any scale, I've no idea, it's entirely possible that it will not find any areas of concern, I mentioned it in the fist place because new consumer units measure leakage to [ 30ish ] milliamp's compared to old fuse box's at say 6 amp for a lighting circuit.

Either way you are doing the right thing, best of luck, and let us know the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
islandman
Old 14-05-2010, 6:53 AM

[QUOTE=Richie-from-the-Boro;32698801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman View Post

It's an awful truth islandman that if the installation finds areas of weakness in your wiring the primary purpose of those RCD's [ earth leakage ] is to protect against electrocution, so you are better off knowing .. .. .. than not knowing.

On any scale, I've no idea, it's entirely possible that it will not find any areas of concern, I mentioned it in the fist place because new consumer units measure leakage to [ 30ish ] milliamp's compared to old fuse box's at say 6 amp for a lighting circuit.

Either way you are doing the right thing, best of luck, and let us know the outcome.
I am pleased to report that after spending the day with us replacing the fuse box , NO problems arose. A report stating thus is to be issued later today (I think)
# 11
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 14-05-2010, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=islandman;32799671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-from-the-Boro View Post

I am pleased to report that after spending the day with us replacing the fuse box , NO problems arose. A report stating thus is to be issued later today (I think)
- Good work, good outcome !

I'm pleased your sorted and protected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread