Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Ooh, I've not seen Frugal Queen! *bookmarks for some serious perusing this weekend* Cheers for that :D Love those other two you mentioned (daresay I found them through you!), I'm seriously tempted to splurge and get Jack's recipe book, would be so nice to give something back really :)

I don't have a diary yet.. though I keep finding myself concocting entries in my head... maybe it's time to bite the bullet?! x
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Megala, I hadn't seen the thorpe park email , will take a look although I must try to resist :D

Hi pearla, frugal queen has some good ideas and is quite direct and bossy about moneysaving , sometimes it's just what you need , sometimes it's irritating :rotfl: but you should Definatly start a diary, I will read it :D

Busy again this weekend, all the washing/ironing/cleaning to do, plus putting up mums decorations, dropping kids off to various places, taking a Xmas roast dinner round mums to cook for everyone there tomorrow. I have ordered an ic*land delivery and it's coming this afternoon (the same time I Am supposed to be at mums looking after her as dad is out , and also the same time dd needs dropping off half an hour away :cool:) but still, they do online shopping with 2 hour slots with free delivery if you spend over £25 :T I never knew they did this , so am trailing it for tomorrow's roast, I just don't fancy spending the whole day cooking and washing up so am cheating with lots of frozen stuff, hopefully I will have time for the gym as well then.

No idea how the finances are at the moment, I did pop out yesterday afternoon to the big shopping centre and spent £6 each on Xmas matching pj's for me and dd, plus bought a black and bottle green lace long sleeve dress for Xmas from primarni for £7 in the sale, then Went to mr t to exchange a dress I bought a while ago (without the receipt) and it had dropped half price to £10 , I found a lovely chiffon navy dress to swap it to £40 reduced to £20 and the nice sales assistant let me just swap over saving me paying the extra £10 - what a star! So a fairly frugal Xmas outfit shop compared to what I used to be like in years gone by, sparkly shoes/jewellery/makeup/hairdo/bag etc.

Anyway off to clean the toilets :( hopefully back later
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    It was a stressful day yesterday, with dh and I bickering which has not happened for a while. I think we are both busy and tired. Plus things are still not resolved work wise with the company. We have moved to new premises and when he went to meet the other owners of the old building they had all refused to come except one , and he refused to take the keys telling dh that we had to continue paying rates etc. even though we have given notice and moved out. Argh! So frustrating , so we have had to pay solicitors to officially send the keys to their solicitors, it's all silly games designed to cause dh stress and more money. Crazy when we are almost at the end of negotiations that will see them come out with far more than they are entitled to as dh just wants rid. Some people are so greedy.:mad:

Ok rant over, on a lighter note, I did mums tree yesterday :xmastree: whilst watching harry potter, so that was nice and got the Iceland delivery which has had to go in the fridge as the freezer is full, hope its ok but we are eating it today.

Finance wise , I have spent all my budget on the cc this month so can't use it again until the 28th :( out of my wages I will have about £230 ish left , which is what I'm spending basically from now until Xmas. I have a pub lunch with my friend in Monday to pay for and also a meal with our partners next Saturday, and we really want to pay for it (they are the friends who very genourously gave us a 4 night cruise earlier this year !) it's quite a nice restaurant they have booked so I think it will be pretty tight.

Boxing Day I have about 13 to feed , maybe a couple more. I want to keep the cost down but both familes are quite traditional and a cold buffet will not do :cool: I usually get lots of left over meat from my parents as they buy sooo much for Xmas day (they have just ordered a large ham from fortnum and masons as an extra :eek:) so meat is mainly covered , I just need ideas to go with it that are easy to do very quickly as its bad enough trying to get the house presentable without the cooking to do too!

Oops its turning into an essay again, I need to go and do the ironing before cooking the lunch.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    I had a trip to £1land last night and managed to break my own record -£53 :eek: I did get about £12 worth of Xmas wrap and bags for my mum, but the rest is ours. Cleaning stuff/foil/bin bags, hairydye and toiletries, not sure what else really :o

I did do one little mse thing though and made a loaf on the bread maker for the first time in ages, which was lovely, why don't I do it all the time? I'm Working again for the next three days, but this week won't be squeezing the gym in around it as my friend can't make every night this week, and although I could go alone I'm taking a break so everything doesn't pile up at home just before Xmas. There is so much to do, plus the inlaws to fit in and I've offered to give my parents house a big cleaning blitz at some point , plus wrap all their presents. I probably won't get on top of my own housework though, I may have to do my usual and bag up the ironing on Xmas eve and hide it from myself in the boot of the car :rotfl:

Mfw stuff is still on hold, but I have time off over Xmas to spend hours looking at mortgage op calculators :smileyhea lots of clearing the debt plans to get rid of the cc's and also a crack down on how much I seem to give the kids on a regular basis on top of their pocket money. Currently we have 2x lost Oyster cards to pay for again, plus they will have to use adult ones until replaced which you have to pay for every journey, unlike the kids ones where buses are free. I need to be stricter with them!

Anyway, off to do lunches and washing before work :)
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I may have to do my usual and bag up the ironing on Xmas eve and hide it from myself in the boot of the car :rotfl:
    What an excellent idea!!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I'm going to steal that idea too!!
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm going to steal it too! The ironing pile can go in DH car and the laundry basket overflow can go in mine.:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I may have to do my usual and bag up the ironing on Xmas eve and hide it from myself in the boot of the car :rotfl:

Leave the keys in the car and solve it permanently ;)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    I always shove stuff into every spare crevice at Christmas as well, and then wonder why it never looks this tidy normally while ignoring the bulging wardrobe etc in the background. Maybe I should investigate a car purchase and follow gally's advice for a long term storage option, hmm... :rotfl: Possibly not very MSE though. :p
    Hi pearla, frugal queen has some good ideas and is quite direct and bossy about moneysaving , sometimes it's just what you need , sometimes it's irritating :rotfl: but you should Definatly start a diary, I will read it :D
    I think I shall.... just need to think up a name... *ponders*... I may be some time. ;)

I loved reading Frugal's blog, super motivating stuff! She's definitely no nonsense, love it :rotfl:

I had no idea Iceland did home delivery, must look into it, cheers for the heads up! & well done on your £10 dress saving, nice one!

Oops, so many things I want to reply to - hope the business premises nonsense dies a death soon, I've had my fair share of business-related nastiness this year too, I just do not understand people sometimes :( Greedy little beggers. Ah well, you'll be shot of them soon, hurrah! x
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    edited 19 December 2013 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Very strange , the post I wrote last night has gone!

Anyway , it was just thanking everyone for popping in, and what a slovenly lot we must all be to be planning to hide the ironing instead of ironing it a whole week before Xmas :rotfl:

Pearla you must start that diary! :D

I've had a reminder to update with my mfw 2014 figure and I've not worked it out yet. The first couple of years went really well, with us paying 30k of debt/mortgage and then last year we basically borrowed about 30k last year to do the loft in various forms so we are are back to square one now. (Still well worth it for a second bathroom though :p)

So I think a tough year is in order to really make a dent In that 30k, I have upped our living expenses to a more realistic £800 pm for everything - 2 adults,3 teenagers a dog and 2x cats. So although a bigger budget than we have had before, now the kids are older they cost more, it's all the extras that add up rather than the food. The dog is also on a prescription diet since she had a (£1700) op this year , which I didn't have insurance for , and still don't as she is too old at 8, so that £50 for a big bag. So petrol/clothes/Xmas/birthdays/everthing else budget done.

Anyway, a year of super frugal and then maybe a little splurge the year after for mine and dd's big birthdays (18/40) I would love a mini cruise :D it should be easier to pay money off next year as I am now earning - whoop whoop as dd would say :rotfl: payslip today and first wage gets paid in tomorrow :beer: I am more than a little excited even if I have already spent it this month :o

Off to iron uniforms as I am running behind as usual.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback