Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    • 5,602Posts
    • 38,297Thanks
    newgirly
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun!
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun! 15th Apr 10 at 11:02 PM
    I have been reading other peoples posts for a while,trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to start overpaying on the mortage.DH and I have a house worth about £220,000 with a mortgage of £159,000 although we only paid £120,000 for it (£93,000 mortgage) to start. So as you can see we have been not so great in the past! Last year we also owed about £20,000 on credit cards which is now down to £10,000. I really want to get rid of the mortgage before our youngest turn 18, the twins are nearly 10 now. So any words of encouragement would be great, I need keeping on the straight and narrow.

Xmas paid for by saving £1 a day minimum in a sealed tin, plus homemade/sale stuff.
    Birthdays now in monthly budget, plus extra vouchers earned

I am taking part in the earn £2012 in 2012 challenge on the up your income board, so whatever earned from that will be split between op's and holidays fingers crossed.

Budget from may 2012 onwards:

income.................2092.00
    child benefit..........188.60
    child tax cr..............0 no longer!
    total....................£2280.60

mobiles x 2...........32.00
    tv licence..............12.37
    elec/gas................140.00
    water....................60.00
    council tax............125.83
    home insurance.......11.83
    pension..................21.90
    life ins....................15.17
    sky ........................21.00
    car tax....................15.83
    car ins.....................22.00
    car maintenance.........8.33
    petrol.......................60.00

school dinners............48.00 (1 dinner/1 bacon sarnie each pw)
    pocket money.............20.00
    clothes.......................30.00
    birthdays....................50.00

grocery.......................250.00
    (food/pets/cleaning)
    DH's money.................100.00
    0%cc ................................32.35
    mortgage interest.........425.00
    mortage overpayment....778.39

money in: £2280.60
    money out:£2280.60

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by newgirly; 16-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Page 316
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 5th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    I had a very lazy day yesterday, spent a while re jigging the finances and the garage adds a month on the mortgage (but not a whole month so it should allow extra towards Xmas too , so it's not all bad!)

Term will go from a hopeful 18 to 19 months from now, however it's payday in two weeks so it will be back to 18 again

I wrote and deleted a long post about a family member's worrying financial choices that are currently being made yesterday. It's too detailed to put on here really. I've tried to point her the direction of the government help website and mse , however I know she probably won't look and will trust the random financial advisor she has found who is recommending taking a lump sum out from her pension now while she is still working and letting him invest the rest.

It still shocks me how many bright people don't take control of their finances when there is so much help today. Even now I do some of the staff at works car insurance renewals as they were auto renewing every year and paying a fortune, also home insurance and changing to interest free credit cards. Surely if you don't earn lots you time would be well spent trying to learn how best to keep hold of it , whether for spending or saving.

Are people worried it makes them look mean if they are trying to save money? It's ridiculous that my kids have been taught how to run profit and loss on a small business at school but have had virtually no personal financial education, what they did have was very basic.

Rant over!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £10,784 paid so far

Mortgage £49,452 4 years 10 months left. Total owed £69,512 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weightwatchers target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 5.5lb lost
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Mar 17, 9:08 AM
    • 5,808 Posts
    • 58,659 Thanks
    greent
    Belated birthday wishes, ng! x

And great news about the garage
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge 12/16 Bal £69786. 2017 OP target (#18) £2000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £457.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9435/£10k Decluttered 741/2017 items
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 28,878 Thanks
    AlexLK
    The real question is what are you filling the garage with and how many months is that going to take off the mortgage?

As for the relative. Unfortunately, all you can do is give information and let them make their own choice whether that is informed or not. I know thinking you've done all you could and moving on is not easy at all though.

Regarding saving money, it takes effort and discipline at least to some degree. It is very easy to not need to know when your car insurance expires and search online / spend a few hours on the telephone / try to negotiate a good deal when the nice man from the insurance company will do it all for you. Except, you and I both know he won't and will in fact take advantage of the convenience to apply further commission for himself / his company.

It's not easy to decide to live by a budget and to stick to it. I think you've probably been living (generally) within your budget because you've needed to and a lot of the reason for you clearing such large amounts from your mortgage is because you imposed a short term that you found could not be extended. Therefore, paying the mortgage had to come first. IIRC your mortgage is also IO, so you are also aware that the capital needs to be paid. In my situation, I could just carry on paying the direct debit and at the end of the term, we would be mortgage free.

It's very easy when you have a secure monthly income to spend the surplus on other things. When my wife and I first bought our house we had a lot higher income but we spent more than we had coming in every month (c.£5,500). We were perpetually in debt and my parents cleared c.£65,000 worth of debt after I became ill and couldn't face going back to work. I wasn't even 30 at that point and before that I'd lost a sum of money that would have bought this house outright. Didn't learn anything from the bailout and managed to build up another £32,000 worth of debt and completely trash my credit history before doing anything about it. We got ourselves into the situation initially because we thought that our income would only rise and it became worse when our income was cut but we were used to a certain lifestyle and I couldn't budget. At one point our income dropped to less than half and my parents were paying our mortgage because we had no savings at all, not my finest moment, especially when a couple of years before I'd told my parents I didn't want to speak to them again. Now, we still see about £2,000 per month less than we were at our high point for income. However, we spend less than we earn.
    Last edited by AlexLK; 05-03-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    Savings 2017: £2000. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Morning Alex, I think so many people have been in the same situation getting into large amounts of debt. Ours was over 30k which we could also afford (just about!) until our income dropped and we then struggled to pay the mortgage. Putting the mortgage on IO was something I did after clearing most of the debts, when we shortened the term as a kind of alternative emergency fund whilst we overpaid. It's getting easier to not want to spend as time has gone on as the end date is getting nearer and I greedily can't wait to have loads of extra money

You sure spent by the sound of it though perhaps if your parents hadn't have cleared it for you it wouldn't have been as easy to get into debt again though?

It's in the past though, now we are well behaved sensible mse members

As for the garage, I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I have not been looking at cars online at all
    MFW 21

Mortgage £49,452 4 years 10 months left. Total owed £69,512 planning to clear in 18 months
    • TheFreeWife
    • By TheFreeWife 6th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    TheFreeWife
    It's getting easier to not want to spend as time has gone on as the end date is getting nearer and I greedily can't wait to have loads of extra money
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I'm with you on that newgirly, I already have our budget worked out for when we've paid everything off & that £400 a month being put aside for holidays sure does look good!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sounds like an excellent use of the extra money the free wife
    MFW 21

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 28,878 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Morning Alex, I think so many people have been in the same situation getting into large amounts of debt. Ours was over 30k which we could also afford (just about!) until our income dropped and we then struggled to pay the mortgage. Putting the mortgage on IO was something I did after clearing most of the debts, when we shortened the term as a kind of alternative emergency fund whilst we overpaid. It's getting easier to not want to spend as time has gone on as the end date is getting nearer and I greedily can't wait to have loads of extra money

You sure spent by the sound of it though perhaps if your parents hadn't have cleared it for you it wouldn't have been as easy to get into debt again though?

It's in the past though, now we are well behaved sensible mse members

As for the garage, I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I have not been looking at cars online at all
    That was the point I was trying to illustrate: it being very easy to get into debt and many people, despite having a good level of income (well, for Derbyshire ), have no savings.

I've no idea what would have happened had my parents not cleared the first lot of debt. We would have probably been able to clear it if we'd sold more or less everything we had. At the time that would have probably sent me over the edge; I was very attached to a lot of the things I've collected over the years. Still am in some ways, though today with hindsight I wish we had sold everything, moved on and completely started again. It wouldn't have been easy and we'd probably be, financially, in a worse position than we are now. You've managed to somehow get me reminiscing about something that never happened and I wouldn't have contemplated but these days, the thought of starting again with a house in a cheap rural part of the country with no close neighbours and a bit of land (perhaps north Wales or Lincolnshire), a Triumph 2500 PI and a MGB GT seems much more tempting than what we actually did. No tinsel, no watch collection, no grand piano and certainly no extra hoarding.

Clearly, I've become more frugal than I first thought. Couldn't be without our classics though but we certainly could run them everyday.
    Last edited by AlexLK; 06-03-2017 at 4:02 PM.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Well there is nothing to stop you now really is there? You could visit your parents at weekends still, a simple life with cars and maybe even horses sounds ideal

I've got an early start tomorrow but need to stay up as is said I'd get ds1 and my brother from the station tonight as it's freezing and they are at West Ham.
    Earlier on I cooked a huge vat of tarka Dahl which was lovely but didn't stretch as far as expected as Dd ate a load then took a huge tub for her and her boyfriend tomorrow, plus some rice , a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates (I need saving from myself )

Not much else to report today really, I bought some lovely irregular choice Abigail's party boots with some of my birthday money (black with red roses on ) which arrived at work today, but dh forgot to bring home tonight - has he no idea how exciting getting new going our shoes is
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    themadvix
    the thought of starting again with a house in a cheap rural part of the country with no close neighbours and a bit of land (perhaps north Wales or Lincolnshire), a Triumph 2500 PI and a MGB GT
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    This is exactly what we're aiming for! Although I'd have to add quite a few cars to the list for DH (and definitely our existing classic mini and the Austin Ruby I would love to have!)

Hope boots make it home tonight NG!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £200/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 7th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Wow that would be an old girl what type of mini do you have if you don't mind me asking? my Eric I sold last year was a B reg Mayfair
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    themadvix
    She would - one day! We have friends who have a veteran car (1901!) and they take us to original London to Brighton run each year - it's a fantastic day, such weird engineering going on (especially the cars where there's a passenger sat in front of the driver!). We'll never be able to afford one of those (they go for more than our house is worth), but a Ruby is within reach, hopefully.

Our Mini is a D reg Mayfair although DH rebuilt him (I know 'he' should be a 'she', but he isn't!) completely a few years ago (in time for us to use him for our wedding) and he's now very shiny and less '80s (which I think DH regrets to some extent, but what can you do?!).

Maybe once you're mortgage free you'll be able to get another Eric? Classic minis put a smile on your face like no other car can, I find!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £200/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 8th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Funny, my mini was going to be a girl until I saw him in person have you ever been to goodwood revival? I've never seen so many really old classics in one place. I'm guessing you didn't not have a massive meringue dress if you got married in a mini

I'm so tired this week, I went to bed at 8pm and went straight to sleep last night! Work is so tiring at the moment and tonight I am out for a birthday curry with the girls for mine and a friend's birthday. It should be a cheapy as it's a set price £11.95 on a weds, lovely food there, just hope o can stay awake.
    MFW 21

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 8th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 16,341 Posts
    • 106,925 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Funny, my mini was going to be a girl until I saw him in person
    That's funny as my LBC (Little Blue Car ) was going to be a boy till we saw her . She's too pretty a colour to be a boy.
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 28,878 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well there is nothing to stop you now really is there? You could visit your parents at weekends still, a simple life with cars and maybe even horses sounds ideal
    My wife's job, my course and if I carry on with teaching the dilemma of what my son will do after school as the current plan is for him to go to my cousin's. He does this two days per week now to ready him for September and enjoys going there. Sometimes think he'd rather be there than home. That's probably the biggest issue as my wife would find a job elsewhere and you can teach anywhere in the UK.

I think horses may become a part of our life as it doesn't look like my son is losing his interest. I have spoken to my neighbour who'd be happy to provide somewhere for one or two to live. They've also mentioned the possibility of buying some of his land as their children aren't interested. Our house has about 1/2 an acre laid to lawn - not enough for a horse.

I like the peak district but there are other places I'd like to go. A lot of the appeal of moving away is the idea of starting afresh and in part being further away from my parents. However, it would have to be somewhere rural, I couldn't live in a town.

This is exactly what we're aiming for! Although I'd have to add quite a few cars to the list for DH (and definitely our existing classic mini and the Austin Ruby I would love to have!)

Hope boots make it home tonight NG!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Do you have a diary?

Our current fleet is a little bigger ... Triumph GT6 Mk.1, Triumph 2000 (yes a 2500 is a LOT better from experience), Daimler Sovereign (Series I XJ6), MGB and the two moderns (2015 LR Defender, 2016 Jaguar XE).

Not had a pre-war car but it's something we're interested in at some point.

She would - one day! We have friends who have a veteran car (1901!) and they take us to original London to Brighton run each year - it's a fantastic day, such weird engineering going on (especially the cars where there's a passenger sat in front of the driver!). We'll never be able to afford one of those (they go for more than our house is worth), but a Ruby is within reach, hopefully.

Our Mini is a D reg Mayfair although DH rebuilt him (I know 'he' should be a 'she', but he isn't!) completely a few years ago (in time for us to use him for our wedding) and he's now very shiny and less '80s (which I think DH regrets to some extent, but what can you do?!).

Maybe once you're mortgage free you'll be able to get another Eric? Classic minis put a smile on your face like no other car can, I find!
    Veteran cars are amazing but I can't say I'd personally want one, I don't think. I like to look but wouldn't want the hassle of owning one - not exactly going to be able to call Rimmer Bros and get parts tomorrow, are you?
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 9th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sounds like a plan for the future if you have land suitable so close by

I'm waiting up for the kids again tonight, last night ds1 went to Ronnie Scott's with my parents as they had a last minute spare ticket, tonight ds 1and 2 are at a gig in north London. I am now quite cold (heating off ) and pretty tired, trying to stay awake for question time. I am sure they will be fine as they are together but I still wait up I may go and collect them from the station in my pjs

I've spent a bit of money today, a couple of t shirts from next, plus some vacuum bags and giant checked storage zip up bags ready to start sorting my life out - or more accuratly clearing the eaves space and log cabin.
    MFW 21

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Soooo much to do at home, washing , cleaning (some of it long overdue!) but I think I should be at work dh said he'd rather me in extra next week, but here are things I can get on with to reduce my backlog. This must be exactly what they mean by torn between work and home I'm having a coffee before deciding which guilt trip will win!
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    themadvix
    Good luck with the decluttering NG! Rather jealous of your sons going to Ronnie Scott's - that's another thing for the 'one day' list, even though London is almost as close for us as you!

Alex - yes, I'm not sure I'd realistically want a vet car - as you say, getting parts is a bit of a problem! (Not that the prices on Rimmer Bros aren't a problem in themselves sometimes!) I do have a diary - not a lot car related on it at the moment though - we're seriously constrained by a single garage, a one-car drive and a very congested road! It's here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3842793&page=20#topofpage

ETA: Yes, we went to Goodwood Revival the same year you did (I noticed when reading your diary!) - different day though. We were taken by one of DH's suppliers - amazing day out! And the prices some of the cars were being sold for - £100K for an E-type anyone?!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £200/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 28,878 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Sounds like a plan for the future if you have land suitable so close by

I'm waiting up for the kids again tonight, last night ds1 went to Ronnie Scott's with my parents as they had a last minute spare ticket, tonight ds 1and 2 are at a gig in north London. I am now quite cold (heating off ) and pretty tired, trying to stay awake for question time. I am sure they will be fine as they are together but I still wait up I may go and collect them from the station in my pjs

I've spent a bit of money today, a couple of t shirts from next, plus some vacuum bags and giant checked storage zip up bags ready to start sorting my life out - or more accuratly clearing the eaves space and log cabin.
    I don't really know what the future holds at the moment, NG. We'll take each day as it comes but possibly, yes, we may take on a bit of my neighbour's land someday.

Good luck with the decluttering NG! Rather jealous of your sons going to Ronnie Scott's - that's another thing for the 'one day' list, even though London is almost as close for us as you!

Alex - yes, I'm not sure I'd realistically want a vet car - as you say, getting parts is a bit of a problem! (Not that the prices on Rimmer Bros aren't a problem in themselves sometimes!) I do have a diary - not a lot car related on it at the moment though - we're seriously constrained by a single garage, a one-car drive and a very congested road! It's here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3842793&page=20#topofpage

ETA: Yes, we went to Goodwood Revival the same year you did (I noticed when reading your diary!) - different day though. We were taken by one of DH's suppliers - amazing day out! And the prices some of the cars were being sold for - £100K for an E-type anyone?!
    Re, Rimmer Bros!

I'll have a look and follow.

E-types are regularly coming up for 6 figures at the moment. The car market has gone crazy in the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I'm seeing less classics on the road and when I buy a car I'm having to go through recommissioning it as they haven't been used. A lot of people seem to be buying them to collect dust (suppose that should be rust ) for "investment" purposes. As a genuine enthusiast I find it all a bit sad.
    Last edited by AlexLK; 10-03-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 38,297 Thanks
    newgirly
    Goodwood was great wasn't it, I'd love to go back but it's not easy to get a hotel nearby and not that cheap. I think the car park was the best bit

Alex, you are so right. On a Sunday you use to regualrly see people out in their classics, now you just don't, even relatively modern classics are getting like gold dust

I have an empty house today dh, dd and ds2 at work, ds1 gone to Bournemouth to watch football ( worlds worst mother forgot so he has a can of coke to take and no lunch, so will have fast food!) I stayed home yesterday and did the boring stuff like bleaching bathroom grout with a toothbrush - thrilling....

I'm off to the theatre tonight with dh, hopefully for a late birthday meal too if he gets home from work in time. Dd went to great place yesterday - the cereal killer cafe , looks amazing, she had 'unicorn poop' probably won't have a cereal based dinner tonight though

No mse stuff to report, currently fighting the urge to buy a new kitchen and or a mini. I shan't though.
    MFW 21

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 22,612 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Cleaning anything other than teeth with a toothbrush is pretty impressive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,990Posts Today

8,029Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin