Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • Sarahsaver
    I don't know if it's because the veg is organic but it all seems to be more 'potent' I have never had wee that red before just from eating a couple of beetroot. Something to beware of if you are embarking on organic veg!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • greentomato
    Yes I know what you mean! My baby loves beetroot but the nappies are a shock!!

I'm sure that organic veg tastes much stronger, I seem to use less herbs and other flavourings now we eat organic. Often the veg tastes delicious just as it is and doesn't need much else adding to it.

I had one other idea, if you have a veg box and find you have left-over vegetables at the end of the week that you don't know what to do with, you could always make a big load of roasted vegetables, or a mixed veg soup, or a big pot of veg stock. I've just got into making veg stock since I've realised how easy it is. They are all good ways of clearing out the veg drawers in the fridge!
  • Norbert Colon
    you could always make a big load of roasted vegetables, or a mixed veg soup, or a big pot of veg stock
    Stew is also a good way to use them up, with meat or beans according to taste/finances.
  • SusanCarter
    When I get to the end of the vegetables, I tend to make a "stew" or curry. Just chop it all up and throw it in the slow cooker with a bit of meat and seasoning. (And some kind of liquid obviously.)

You can make stock in the slow cooker too. Saves having to tend to a boiling pan.
  • Sarahsaver
    Breakthrough! DD ate some of tonight's potatoes - new pots sliced and fried in a little oil, an onion, cumin, a dried chilli and a little salt and pepper, added a tomato chopped up towards the end, and a splash of water to stop it sticking.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • spookycat
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all their suggestions. I tried to press the thanks button but it won't work don't suppose anyone knows why?
    Anyhoo, I went to Sainsbury's early yesterday morning when the lady was reducing the meat and got 2 HUGE organic chickens for half price! The fruit & veg bit also had a ton of organic veg reduced so I grabbed all that I could viably use in the next few days as well.
    I'll let you know how I do with th chickens. I had a look at the bigbarn site and will visit one of the farms for meat next week.
  • Sarahsaver
    I will get my self sorted out later and post the recipe/menu that have been asked for.
    Had lunch today and chopped up a head of organic broccoli to go with our noodles and fish - it was SO tasty DS didnt want it then when he tasted it a very quick disappearing broccoli act ensued.
    Also the green peppers we had in the veg box actually tasted of something unlike the bland pap thats been so common over recent years.
    We have got an organic chicken for lunch tomorrow, I got 4 for £5!!!
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 12th Aug 06, 1:28 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    We have got an organic chicken for lunch tomorrow, I got 4 for £5!!!
    by Sarahsaver
    How the blimming heck did you do that ?!
  • Sarahsaver
    I have ways and means LOL

There's a butchers in Leicester I use. They have the appearance of being one of these 'cheapo' places, well they ARE cheap but also quality which is very good, and never ceases to amaze me. Once I got 5 M&S 'roast in the tin' joints for a fiver, and another time when i wanted mince and he didn't have any, the butcher got a tray of steaks and minced them for me It's just a case of seeing what they have got. At xmas you can order capons from them too, which was good as once had a v.fussy relative who would only have that for xmas dinner :rolleyes: It's not all organic but they have had ducks before (2 for £6!) and most ducks have a better life than other farmed birds
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 12th Aug 06, 9:22 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    This is a great thread. We eat largely organic, and it does mean that we spend more on food than we might, but I think we do OK considering there are four of us (two small ones). I have found that the answer to keeping the cost down is to be really organised and plan ahead. We have a box delivered every week, but I am lucky in that we can choose what we have, and so I can do a menu plan and then order accordingly. I get an email every week with the prices and the country of origin. I try to stick to local and seasonal, but will buy fruit out of season to ensure that my (fussy) children eat plenty of fruit, especially given they don't like green veg (must try the cabbage/smelly farts thing on my six year old son!).

Otherwise, we grow our own (small veg plot in the garden, greenhouse) and I set up a buying group with other local families who want to eat organic. We order monthly from a wholefood distributor and that takes care of pasta, rice, breadflour, toiletries, toilet roll etc. It works really well for us, but you do need room to store it. When you first start it takes a while to build up your 'stocks' because obviously it would be expensive to buy everthing you might use in one go.

I also cook and freeze, and make preserves etc, and find this is a good way of dealing with both the gluts and the days when I don't have time to cook. In the winter I stick to a fairly rigid menu plan based on 14 days at a time (less boring!) but with room for variations. In the summer it is down to what we have coming out of the garden. By this time of the year I can cut the veg box down to once a fortnight. I do use supermarkets, but mostly for things like dairy produce, although I do try and buy cheese and odd bits in the local shops as much as I can. I find it is best to avoid supermarkets as much as possible - I always spend more than I meant to!

Hollysan
  • doddsy
    I set up a buying group with other local families who want to eat organic. We order monthly from a wholefood distributor and that takes care of pasta, rice, breadflour, toiletries, toilet roll etc. It works really well for us, but you do need room to store it. When you first start it takes a while to build up your 'stocks' because obviously it would be expensive to buy everthing you might use in one go.

Hollysan
    by Hollysan
    Hollysan - can you explain how you went about this because it is something I have considered doing - any tips would be welcome
    doddsy
  • UltraCheap
    Costco
    A few weeks ago, I was surprised to come across a fairly large selection (for Costco) of organic foods like honey, baked beans, tinned tomatoes, tinned legumes. The prices were very reasonable as well, the tins were sold in a flat of 12, and the honey was sold in a pack of 3. The prices were about half the price of organic tins in Sainsburys.

I didn't have time to check and see if they were selling other items organic such as meat.

I don't got to costco's often, but a family member has a membership - and from my understanding, anyone can get one.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 12th Aug 06, 11:22 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    just wanted to add that im struggling to get my weekly budget for 5 of us to under £80 at the moment!! i find it easier when kids at school cos i get down to sainsburys first thing and get whatever organic meat is reduced and work out our weekly menu from there. I chuck it all in the freezer as soon as i get home and defrost and use the day i want. good way of doing it
    suddenly found myself single ...

Debt @ 07/2016 = £17,750.
    DebtFree date aiming at 12/2018.
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 14th Aug 06, 9:31 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    Doddsy - sorry not to reply sooner, I was out a lot this weekend. Basically I just phoned Rainbow in Norwich, who are one of the bigger wholefood wholesalers. We are lucky that they are quite nearby, but actually any of the bigger wholesalers will deliver if you order more than £150-200. There is Suma (East Midlands) and Infinity (Brighton) off the top of my head. When I started, about four of five years ago, they weren't very keen - I think because they were worried that little buying groups of individuals would mean less business for their main customers, the health food shops etc. I am all for supporting local health food shops, and actually it was the stuff we normally bought in supermarkets that we were thinking of eg washing powder, rice, pasta etc. I still buy lots of things like raisins and spices from the shop. Anyway, we found in the end that it helped to have numbers, and for a while I did it through a bigger buying group in Norwich. Someone else took over running it from me a couple of years ago, and went straight back to the wholesaler, and found that they were more helpful this time. It helps if you have an identity - we were largely mums from the local playgroup, and we bought stuff for playgroup as well sometimes. However, I think that they have got more used to buying groups now and realise that it is largely people who want to reduce dependency on supermarkets, for various reasons.

This is how we organise it - everyone phones or emails me their order (everyone has a catalogue to select from, some are quite out of date but we sort out the prices later). I go online and order it all from Rainbow (excellent service, by the way, but I'm sure they are all doing this now) and then I go and pick it up from the warehouse. The trickiest bit is the money. We do it at the beginning of the month so that I can pay by cheque, distribute the goods, together with an invoice, and then everyone reimburses me. This obviously depends on someone being willing to put the bill through their own bank account. When I collect the goods, I am given a printed invoice, and I take that home and put each individual's items onto Excel and print off an invoice for them.

The other way of doing it, which I have heard of, is to get people to put in a float, but I am not sure how well that might work. I think it is best to keep the group fairly small, otherwise the order would be huge, and although you could get it delivered, you would obviously be talking about large amounts of money. Also it mean more work, more time etc. We have found that around half a dozen families or individuals is best. We share things like large bags of rice and boxes of pasta.

So, I would start by looking at the wholesaler's websites and then give them a ring - you would need to get some people together first, and then you set up an account in one of your names and off you go...

Hollysan
  • yallapilko
    I spend £300 / month including cleaning products etc, for 2 of us. Again it seems excessive with all the other budgets and I'm interested in making this less.
    Currently, I buy all organic, and buy at tescos online.
    I will only buy british meat though.
    Can anyone post any more online organic british meat shops?
    Where is the nene valley one? Anyone got a link?
    • owenwoodcock89
    • By owenwoodcock89 9th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    owenwoodcock89
    I spend about £30 a week on organic meat and organic veg for my partner and myself. I don't buy from a super markets though, I use a farm based in Wales which is located closer to where I live.
    I get boxes rather than buying separate products and it works out cheaper.
    The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 10th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 2,016 Thanks
    2childmum
    i notice you mention that you include petrol in your weekly spend - are you including anything else? Different people include different things in their weekly/monthly total - some only mention food, some include toiletries, cleaning stuff, eating out, alcohol, lunch money for the kids etc etc. You may find you are not comparing like with like and therefore aren't doing as badly as you think! Plus it's not a competition!

Having said that, there are great ideas here!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,010Posts Today

6,713Users online

Martin's Twitter