Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • theloft
    • By theloft 14th Apr 10, 11:58 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    theloft
    • 14th Apr 10, 11:58 AM
    • 14th Apr 10, 11:58 AM
    Can anyone please help? I have a brand new electric hob and there are cooking oil stains that I CANNOT shift!!! I've tried oven cleaner, brillo pads, wire wool scourers, baby oil, Hob Brite - you name if I've tried it! Any ideas please?????? Thanks!
    Originally posted by sugarmuffin
    If Hob Brite won't shift it, the only other product I know of is Stain Devils Oil & Cooking Fat. Or how about your household insurance, if you have accidental damage cover ???
    Last edited by theloft; 14-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • sugarmuffin
    • 14th Apr 10, 12:37 PM
    • 14th Apr 10, 12:37 PM
    If Hob Brite won't shift it, the only other product I know of is Stain Devils Oil & Cooking Fat. Or how about your household insurance, if you have accidental damage cover ???
    Originally posted by theloft
    Great! Will try the Stain Devils first ... and what a good idea about the insurance, I nevr would have thought of that! Thank you!
  • munkypuzzel
    • 14th Apr 10, 4:10 PM
    • 14th Apr 10, 4:10 PM
    With my ceramic hob came a 'scraper' which is just a stanly knife blade mounted in a hand tool. This removes the most stubborn burnt on stains. I now use a stanley knife blade as the orignial has blunted, just scrape at the appropriate angle..
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 14th Apr 10, 5:58 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 14th Apr 10, 5:58 PM
    • 14th Apr 10, 5:58 PM
    Is home insurance really going to pay out for a "stain" on a hob???
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Apr 10, 9:23 PM
    • 22,256 Posts
    • 63,091 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Apr 10, 9:23 PM
    • 14th Apr 10, 9:23 PM
    With my ceramic hob came a 'scraper' which is just a stanly knife blade mounted in a hand tool. This removes the most stubborn burnt on stains. I now use a stanley knife blade as the orignial has blunted, just scrape at the appropriate angle..
    Originally posted by munkypuzzel
    Great idea! I have one of those stubborn marks on my glass hob and that will be perfect!

You'll find those scrapers in any DIY store near the paintbrushes etc. as they sell them for you to scrape excess paint off window glass.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Edinburghlass
    • 14th Apr 10, 9:28 PM
    • 14th Apr 10, 9:28 PM
    Make sure the base of your pans are super clean as it was from my pans that I got marks on my hob
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • theloft
    • By theloft 15th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    theloft
    • 15th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    • 15th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    Originally posted by munkypuzzel
    I have read that you can damage the surface with a metal scraper, and it advised using a sharp plastic one!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • theloft
    • By theloft 15th Apr 10, 9:01 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    theloft
    • 15th Apr 10, 9:01 AM
    • 15th Apr 10, 9:01 AM
    Is home insurance really going to pay out for a "stain" on a hob???
    Originally posted by jrrowleyws
    Maybe not, but if you have accidental damage cover, why not give it a try ?
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • sugarmuffin
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a scraper and the Stain Devils.... yes, it was oil on the base of my chip pan that caused the stain in the first place grrrrrrr !
  • barkingmad
    Maybe not, but if you have accidental damage cover, why not give it a try ?
    Originally posted by theloft
    ... and push all our premiums up
  • totalsolutions
    Don't buy Ceramic hobs then, try Induction, no heat and no burns.
  • sugarmuffin
    ha ha ha no I should NOT have bought a ceramic hob in the first place!
  • jay1976
    hi try this little trick ive found works,
    get some bicarbonate of soda, using a damp cloth apply in a circular motion you may have to apply pressure. This cleans mine like new
    avaliable from most supermarkets
    Last edited by jay1976; 17-04-2010 at 2:07 AM. Reason: addition of infomation
  • sugarmuffin
    Thanks so much - I'll try this asap! Bye the way, I think I may have given you all duff info. My hob is actually a 'solid hot plate' and not ceramic - will this make a difference in cleaning materials? Sorry.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 19th Apr 10, 10:07 AM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 22,987 Thanks
    andygb
    Make sure the base of your pans are super clean as it was from my pans that I got marks on my hob
    Originally posted by Edinburghlass
    Good advice, I use Hob Brite or similar abrasive cleaners on all the pan bottoms (oil seems to get burnt on to them), and try to clean the hob with a multi surface cleaner, such as Mr Muscle or Dettol.
    On our old ceramic hob, we used to use abrasive cleaners, but on the new black AEG one, we have not had to use any Brillo pads or abrasive cleaners.
  • dom300186
    bi carb of soda mixed with lemon juice leave for 5-10 min then return to it and it should come off.
    • elliot341
    • By elliot341 19th Apr 10, 1:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    elliot341
    Hi, we had stains on our new ceramic (glass) hob and i was v annoyed at first! I managed to get them off using a cream called "Grime Blast" by Astonish. I got it in from a low budget supermarket, though i think that it was good old elbow grease combined with a decent enough cleaner managed to get stuff cleaned off. Hope u manage to clear it off ok.
    • d-seven
    • By d-seven 21st Apr 10, 10:35 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    d-seven
    When hob brite hasn't removed it, I have used plain water on the stain. Just get a cloth and drip a few drops on the stain and leave for about 10 minutes or so. Mop up the water then use hob brite on it as normal. It took me a few attempts but it did remove it eventually!
  • hatewashingmachines
    Bar Keepers friend would do it, I use it on everything in the kitchen. You can buy it for less than a cuple of pounds.
    http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/use.html
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

6,407Users online

Martin's Twitter