Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Aug 06, 8:17 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:17 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:17 PM
    Could they be sloes ? A bit early I'd have thought, mind you it's a bit early for blackberries round these parts - where are you ?

http://www.sloe.biz/sloes/index.htm

Sloes are very tart and best stuffed in a large jar with copious amounts of sugar and gin for a few months - hey presto Sloe Gin !

Elderberries are good for making preserves- jellies and syrups and wine. But don't eat them raw as they can upset your tum.

Bilberries are bluish-purple and like small blueberries. There's a thread on here about them somewhere.

These are good sites

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_for_June/

http://forum.rivercottage.net/index.php

HTH
  • jennybb
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:35 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:35 PM
    I wonder if they are the same as something I've spotted - BF thinks they are damsons - still quite small, purplish with a sort of bloom on them green flesh - not yet ripe?
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Aug 06, 8:46 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:46 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 8:46 PM
    Sloes do look a bit like damsons, but damsons are oval and sloes round. Also damsons grow on trees (they're a kind of plum) and sloes are on a bush with large thorns (also known as blackthorn).

You can make sloe gin with damsons.......except you call it damson gin I make it every year as damsons are easier to come by in quantity.
  • MIRRY
    • 6th Aug 06, 9:07 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 9:07 PM
    they were on a bush and they do look like the sloes , they were very small like the size of a small grape.

I live in Hampshire uk and there were alot of the blackberries ready for picking, We picked 2lb worth and Im hoping to make jam for the first time ever !
    I expect its the hot summer weve had, the reason we went and checked was because I notised a man picking them on a road side as we drove by,
    we picked ours in the country side (no car fumes).

Now I need some jam jars, do you think dolmio sauce jars are ok to use ?
    • twink
    • By twink 6th Aug 06, 9:11 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    twink
    • 6th Aug 06, 9:11 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 9:11 PM
    i am sure the sauce jars would be fine, our brambles are not nearly ready here yet
  • janeawej
    • 6th Aug 06, 10:09 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 10:09 PM
    any sauce jar will be fine wash well then sterilize in oven at 120c before use, put small wax discs on top of jam and lid on whilst very hot or totaly cold!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Aug 06, 11:19 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 6th Aug 06, 11:19 PM
    • 6th Aug 06, 11:19 PM
    Just remembered about bullaces - a kind of wild plum

http://www.biglittlefruit.co.uk/Campaign%20information/catid=4.htm
  • kiwichick
    • 7th Aug 06, 7:46 AM
    • 7th Aug 06, 7:46 AM
    I used to love berry picking as a kid, can I ask what the rules are in the UK though...............I hate to be breaking some unwritten rule. If the berries are growing along the roadside are they there for everyone to pick?? Is there anywhere I shouldnt be picking.

We wont be picking anything for a while here yet, the blackberries are still small, green and hard.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • MIRRY
    I think someone mentioned about using the inside of a cereal box for the wax papers, I think it may be the the actual bag the cereal sits in .

wish I knew how to put photos on here cos id take a photo of the fruit for you to see.
    • tim_n
    • By tim_n 7th Aug 06, 9:07 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    tim_n
    I used to love berry picking as a kid, can I ask what the rules are in the UK though...............I hate to be breaking some unwritten rule. If the berries are growing along the roadside are they there for everyone to pick?? Is there anywhere I shouldnt be picking.

We wont be picking anything for a while here yet, the blackberries are still small, green and hard.
    by kiwichick
    As far as the rules go, I'd not touch anything 2 feet from the ground. Perfect dog height!

Apart from that I believe you can knock yourself out. Feel free to contact the highways authoritity for stealing their blackberries, but technically you're doing them a service by keeping their pavements clean ;- )
    Tim
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 7th Aug 06, 9:21 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I think blackberrying is a national right ! I've never heard of any laws regarding gathering wild berries etc. Obviously if the plant is growing in someone's garden it's off limits, but other than that pick away
    • twink
    • By twink 7th Aug 06, 9:38 AM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    twink
    i make sure i pick well away from the road, dont want them full of lead from petrol fumes
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 7th Aug 06, 9:42 AM
    • 23,795 Posts
    • 3,164,379 Thanks
    comping cat
    We go blackberry picking every year, although ours are still green/pink at the moment, so i think it will be next month before we can start!!!!

thriftlady - is there anyway of finding out if something is definatly a sloe? This year near my house we have berrys that look exactly like the sloes in the link you posted above, but ive never noticed them around here before!!!! I dont want to start picking them, sticking them in my gin (the best place for them!!!) and then find ive picked something poisonous!!!!!
  • stumpjumper
    i make sure i pick well away from the road, dont want them full of lead from petrol fumes
    by twink

Lead's been banned in petrol for quite a few years now so that's not a worry anymore.
    • twink
    • By twink 7th Aug 06, 12:28 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    twink
    forgot about that stumpjumper, suppose still best to pick away from the road, must say our biggest crop of brambles is by the river anyway
  • jayarr
    anyone know if theyre ripe in manchester area yet..its a long walk to where mine are and i dont fancy it if theres no reward at the end!!
    Budget for Jan/Feb £240 per 4 weeks
    Week 1-£52 :rolleyes: Week 2-£75
    Week 3-£60.66 :confused: Week 4-£29.98 Total=£217.58
    w/c 18th Feb: £6.50
  • MIRRY
    had alot of luck this morning, took kids down to the local castle with the football and on the way we cut down a country style road and found some blackberries again, so I quickly emptied my 2 carrier bags telling the kids to carry there ball and bats lol. There were loads to pick and then I couldnt belive it as I was picking I found apples growing too , they were high up so we used the bats to pull them closer and I managed to pick 9 apples.

apple and blackberry jam ,all free lol.
    • youngie
    • By youngie 7th Aug 06, 1:59 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 4,489 Thanks
    youngie
    if you want to identify berries etc why not check out the local library you could also borrow books to see what you can do with your harvest
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 7th Aug 06, 2:16 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 15,424 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    We went looking yesterday but none ready to pick by me yet (Lancs)
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

3,185Users online

Martin's Twitter