IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dog Dental costs?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,859
# 1
VLT
Old 11-04-2010, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Dog Dental costs?

I know my dogs teeth are in a poor state and while he was at the vets last week i asked her to have a quick look. She explained that they did look in poor health, he's a pug, and would need looking at sooner rather then later. She said that he would have to go under to do this and that if it was a matter of a good clean we could expect to pay 100+, but if extraction is necessary which i think is likely it could rise to 200+ is this about right?
regards viv
# 2
Soubrette
Old 11-04-2010, 9:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT View Post
I know my dogs teeth are in a poor state and while he was at the vets last week i asked her to have a quick look. She explained that they did look in poor health, he's a pug, and would need looking at sooner rather then later. She said that he would have to go under to do this and that if it was a matter of a good clean we could expect to pay 100+, but if extraction is necessary which i think is likely it could rise to 200+ is this about right?
regards viv
My dog had 5 teeth extracted when we had him in 2008 plus a thorough tooth clean and scrape, it was done under general and cost about 203 (this came well over the estimate of 110 though). The vet was so appalled by the state of his teeth that he felt I should go back to the charity we had the dog from and get them to pay, but heyho - you take on these things and the charity needs the money for other dogs so we didn't bother

TBH he was so miserable afterwards that I now clean his teeth every other day and at both annual checks since the vet has commenting on how clean his teeth are (they are in general poor condition, he was probably a cage or stone biter before he came to us as they are all chipped).

Do you have insurance? I know most exclude tooth care but I think there are a few exceptions depending on who you are insured with and the reasoning behind the extractions.

Sou
# 3
UKTigerlily
Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM

It sounds about right to me, my Cat had a scale & polish with one extraction & it was just over 200
# 4
vicx
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM

My dog had all but 4 of his teeth extracted about 5 year ago and it cost me around 350. The price you have been quoted seems about right but be prepared to pay more than 200 if quite a few teeth need to be extracted.
# 5
ka7e
Old 11-04-2010, 4:01 PM

I asked my vet for a breakdown of costs when one of my cats had gum disease. The main cost is the anaesthetic, then the cost of a clean and de-scale. If any extractions have to be done there is a cost per tooth plus extra time under anaesthesia and care duting recovery. Probably painkillers and antibiotics, too.

If you have this sort of costing available it is better than an "estimate" to help judge costs and you can actually shop around, if you are happy to do that.
"Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
# 6
moomin5
Old 12-04-2010, 1:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My greyhound had 4 or might have been 6 ( i can't remember) teeth extracted a few worn/chipped front ones and some back ones in 2008 and that cost 160, which included some antibiotics. Then in 2009 he broke a back tooth and it had become loose so he had another dental which was 130 but he didn't need any medication that time. The 1st time i rang round a few local vets to get a rough quote to check costs as i'd not used the local vet before to know if there prices were fair or if i should go with a different practice.

Its worth bearing in mind that the location can cause higher overheads which in turn means prices are higher than other areas.
# 7
VLT
Old 12-04-2010, 7:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated.
# 8
picklepick
Old 12-04-2010, 9:46 AM

VLT, the practice i use in Stockport offers discounted dental treatment. As hes a pug im guessing hes in the lower weight price bracket....

Heres a link to their prices
http://www.greenbankvets.co.uk/pages...t---dental.php
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
# 9
VLT
Old 15-04-2010, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well Vincent is back from the vets and I'm 250 pounds lighter in my pocket! As expected they were in a bad state and had to have all but 4 removed. Hopefully he will be much more comfortable now and the bad taste in the mouth has gone.
Thanks for all the advice. VLT
Closed Thread