Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Best permanent hair dye for covering grey roots o... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best permanent hair dye for covering grey roots on dark brown hair
Closed Thread
Views: 37,357
# 1
beauty addict
Old 11-04-2010, 9:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Best permanent hair dye for covering grey roots on dark brown hair

Hi, trying to save money, by using a home hair colour. What's the best permenant dye for covering grey roots on dark brown hair? Got my hair dyed at hairdressers, they used a tint on my roots and semi on my ends,the roots started to show after 2 weeks! Too young to go grey gracefully! Would value any advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to beauty addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
poppy_f1
Old 11-04-2010, 9:46 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i use garnier natrisse
only mix up half the mixure do my roots, then repeat 4 weeks later

also i generally buy 2 dyes at a time when they are on offer
The Following User Says Thank You to poppy_f1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
glowgirl
Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I find Nice n Easy lasts the longest on greys, I do my roots every 4 or 5 weeks but could probably get away with 6 weeks, Nice n Easy comes out darker than on the package, I have med/dark brown hair and use Light Ash Brown, choose a colour with the word ash in it if you dont want red tones, I like this product because every time you use it it comes out the same colour.
Thank you for this site Martin
The time for change has come
Good luck for the future
The Following User Says Thank You to glowgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
got-it-spend-it
Old 11-04-2010, 1:14 PM

I use nice n easy too! I have very dark brown hair, and I find this gives the longest lasting coverage.
Who knew being a Mummy would be so much fun?
Yummy Mummy to a smart 4 year old and a feisty 1 year old
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to got-it-spend-it For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Sublime
Old 11-04-2010, 1:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've had the odd one since I was 19!

Boots Botanics, Chocolate works well for me. It's very dark, which I quite like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sublime For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
geminilady
Old 11-04-2010, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I also use nice and easy the price is good and it covers well.I found boots own did not cover my grey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geminilady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
buyitall
Old 11-04-2010, 4:37 PM

I use the nice n easy root touch up dye, which comes with a brush for doing roots.
The Following User Says Thank You to buyitall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
beauty addict
Old 11-04-2010, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

Hi all, Thanks for all the replies, think I will try Nice'n' Easy, a lot cheaper than the hairdresser!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beauty addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
monruth
Old 09-05-2010, 2:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Osmo Ikon vs L'Oreal

My hairdresser has chosen to change the permanent hair dye she uses on my grey (natural colour dark brown) hair. She used to use L'oreal and now uses Osmo Ikon. I have noticed that more hair is falling out and my hair has become much more dry since she changed and asked her to revert back to L'oreal but she refused stating that Osmo Ikon is better.
I think she changed because Osmo Ikon is cheaper than L'oreal which I saw on hairdressing supplier websites.
However, I need proof and facts to show her. Who can give me honest and accurate information as to which is the better product.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to monruth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Material Girl
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by monruth View Post
My hairdresser has chosen to change the permanent hair dye she uses on my grey (natural colour dark brown) hair. She used to use L'oreal and now uses Osmo Ikon. I have noticed that more hair is falling out and my hair has become much more dry since she changed and asked her to revert back to L'oreal but she refused stating that Osmo Ikon is better.
I think she changed because Osmo Ikon is cheaper than L'oreal which I saw on hairdressing supplier websites.
However, I need proof and facts to show her. Who can give me honest and accurate information as to which is the better product.
Thanks
I wouldn't stay with a hairdresser who refused what I, the customer, wanted. I don't think you have to do the research to prove to her that you're in the right - just change to a salon that will be happy to do you as you want!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Material Girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
silvasava
Old 09-05-2010, 3:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Monruth - Material girl is right, if your hairdresser cannot or will not use the product that suits you then go elswhere. Many years ago (I'm an ex-hairdresser) one of my customers used to go to a different hairdresser for her 'perm' because my shop didn't use the particular brand that suited her hair - but she always came back to me for her cuts & colour. Result - one happy customer & thats what it should be about
Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle 5:2 Diet 151.8lb - Target 147lb
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvasava For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
silvasava
Old 09-05-2010, 3:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

ps Monruth - L'Oreal Excellence is v good for grey coverage
Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle 5:2 Diet 151.8lb - Target 147lb
The Following User Says Thank You to silvasava For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
pattycake
Old 09-05-2010, 6:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am a greying dark brown brunette. I always used to use Nice'n'Easy but started to think it was a bit harsh. I need to colour every 5 weeks as the white roots start to show big time. Anyhow, I have switched to Herbashine Dark Brown. It is supposed to be a semi-permanent without ammonia. It says on the box to leave on for only 10 minutes but I go for 20 minutes and then find it covers my roots beautifully and makes my hair really glossy. It is much easier on my hair than the Nice'n'Easy. It lasts for the full 5 weeks before I colour again with very little fading.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pattycake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bellamonkey
Old 09-05-2010, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
I am a greying dark brown brunette. I always used to use Nice'n'Easy but started to think it was a bit harsh. I need to colour every 5 weeks as the white roots start to show big time. Anyhow, I have switched to Herbashine Dark Brown. It is supposed to be a semi-permanent without ammonia. It says on the box to leave on for only 10 minutes but I go for 20 minutes and then find it covers my roots beautifully and makes my hair really glossy. It is much easier on my hair than the Nice'n'Easy. It lasts for the full 5 weeks before I colour again with very little fading.
Where do you buy Herbashine from?
The Following User Says Thank You to bellamonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
coco1980
Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i have been going grey since i was 4 years old, started dying my hair when i was 12 and have always usec nice & easy or loreal, ind anything else doesnt cover as good. i also have to cover every 4 weeks but only because my roots come through
In 2009 i finally gave up smoking Have been smoke free for 3 years!!!!!!
Weight Watchers starting weight 12.6
Target weight 10st current weight - -10 st 7lb
Aim to be debt free by Jan 2013! not now just bought a house
The Following User Says Thank You to coco1980 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
terra_ferma
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM

The only hair dye that has ever been able to cover my greys is
Clairol Perfect 10 (in black).
I used it once because the second time I got L'oreal excell 10 by mistake (I was looking for the '10mins dye with a comb on the lid - how many can there be out here?').
It was only after using it that I realised that my grey hair were not covered.....
don't click here

Last edited by terra_ferma; Today at 0:63 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to terra_ferma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
pattycake
Old 10-05-2010, 3:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamonkey View Post
Where do you buy Herbashine from?

Superdrug. I has been on offer lately. It is a bit pricier than Nice'n'Easy but worth it IMHO. I think full price it is around 6.50. Still a lot cheaper than going to a salon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread