IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam
Views: 87,427
# 21
Premier
Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca_riots View Post
...He has found out that BT SELL on their customers details (he was told this by a BT online person) ...
Only if the customer gave BT permission to do this.

Quote:
Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
As a normal part of our business we share with other communications companies information for connecting and charging for calls over each others networks.

We sometimes use other companies to provide services to you or to provide services to us. To enable them to do this, we may need to share your personal information with them. When we do so, these companies are required to act in accordance with the instructions we give them and they must meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act to keep the information secure.

We may share your personal information with other parts of BT to enable them to conduct their own businesses and to market their products and services to you. We provide this information in accordance with our code of practice on the disclosure of customer information. This code limits BT's ability to share information in this manner and is intended to prevent BT gaining unfair competitive advantage over its competitors.

We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.

We may provide information, in response to properly made requests, for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. We may also provide information for the purpose of safeguarding national security. In either case we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act. We also provide information when required to do so by law, for example under a court order, or in response to properly made demands, under powers contained in legislation.

If there is a change (or prospective change) in the ownership of BT or any of its assets, we may disclose personal information to the new (or prospective) owner. If we do so, we will require them to keep it confidential.

If you believe the personal information we hold on your is incorrect you may amend it by following the procedure set out below in "How can I change the personal information BT holds about me?"
http://www.btplc.com/privacypolicy/p...tm#Do we share

(my highlighting)
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Premier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
rebecca_riots
Old 11-10-2010, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default uk claims scam

Thanks "Premier"... very interesting info.

Rebecca
# 23
phillybee
Old 16-10-2010, 3:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just got this call today, sounds jut like a call centre, but when I said "How could you know how much my bank chages are" he hung up.lol! So this seems to be still going on.
# 24
typical blonde
Old 25-10-2010, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just had a call from 'Lisa Adams' who had a very heavy Indian accent (call came up as International). She asked for me or hubby by name and said that they had received information from a Government department that someone at this address was entitled to compensation for a car accent they had within the last 3 years. I assured her that nobody in the house had suffered any type of car accident within the last 3 years. She was persistent telling me that it was a shunt type of accident whereupon I repeated that nobody had suffered an accident. When I asked where her company was based, she told me Wandsworth. She then said that the car accident was in 2008 and asked if we had recently moved in whereupon I told her that we were living here before 2008. Am concerned about the previous posts and the possible tie in with BT. We have been having a lot of problems with BT and have been on the phone regularly to their call centre in India, and have made payments by phone. Should we contact the bank and get them to replace our cards?
# 25
dunstonh
Old 25-10-2010, 5:11 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
said that they had received information from a Government department that someone at this address was entitled to compensation for a car accent they had within the last 3 years.
lie number 1 from them.

Quote:
Am concerned about the previous posts and the possible tie in with BT.
BT dont get involved in claims companies. This is just a random phone call trying it on.
Quote:
Should we contact the bank and get them to replace our cards?
Only if you have told this claims company your card details.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 26
pruem
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

UK Claims just rang me, regarding the car accident I didn't have (touch wood given the ice outside!).
I told them I was busy and would ring them back - they gave me this no: 0800 169 3175.
It was an Asian male on the phone.

I certainly won't be ringing them but I will happily have a big go at them if they ring me again. I've signed up to all the non-promotional calls/ faxes / mail banning things I can find but these are obviously way outside respect for any such scheme.
# 27
ukuwi
Old 03-12-2010, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 3dec2010, 17:00

As previous, UK Claims called. My name and address (not with BT) known by this Asian dude. I asked if he had inspected TPS register... "Ummmmm, I forgot..."
I just hung up.

Look... why cannot anything be done?
The telNo must be known by the comms co. they call from and there must be someway to determine comms co. ID.
Lotta bright sparks about, so must be possible.

Looking at this thread is interesting but also futile as some appear to have info, but this is a forum... and not gonna help nuke these dudes is it?
# 28
Magoo2
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez321g View Post
i was dontacted just a few minuts ago by " patricia" from uk claims, i highly doubt that this is her name as her accent was so strong i could bearly understand her.
she gave me the same speach as all the other posts ..... you are entitled to claim at least 600..... ect. she provided an emploee id number 1901 and insisted i was gonna get some money for just filling in the paperwork and all they wanted was a "small admin payment" ... 79.00. she said she would not ask for my bank details but would read the details she had for me to comfirm.... she read out a number and i told her it was not my bank details as it happens i dont have a credit or debit card that she wanted me then to provide then she starts preassuring me to get someone else to let me use thier card i was bored by this point and told her to get lost as i didn't belive a word she had said and told her she should be ashamed of her behaviour .... end of call
i hope who ever is behind this scam gets what is coming to them very soon
the old saying if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is should be remembered.

Oh dear,
I took call last night and through sheer complacency eventually submitted to 'Patricia'. Gave card no plus full no on back, and agreed to 84.99. Doh!

Cancelled card very early this morning and visited bank to see what I can do. She said I had agreed to transaction, all I can do is try ringing them to cancel.

Is that worth trying? Any ideas?

What a mug!
# 29
Orbel
Old 10-12-2010, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation UK Claims & Compensation

I too had a call from these people about 20 minutes ago. Same guff about having been told by Road Traffic Accident Management of an accident I had in the last three years that wasn't my fault and they could get compensation for me. When I asked the guy gave their address as 170 Garratt Lane, SW London. I couldn't recall ever having had an accident of any sort so I asked him lots of questions about it - he said I'd been hit on the side at a roundabout but he couldn't disclose the date because of the data protection rules! Eventually he got bored with my questions and put the phone down.
# 30
dunstonh
Old 19-12-2010, 1:28 AM

Claims companies are not allowed to take payment from you without providing their terms of service in writing first. It is a rule breach if they have. If that is the case you should put in a formal complaint to them demanding a refund and also complain to the ministry of justice. The MoJ are slow to react and are not a very good regulator but they rely on volume of complaints against companies. So, you complaint to them would help add up.

When a claims company says you are "entitled" to something, that is a lie. There is no entitlement. If you think you were mis-sold then you can put in a complaint and you may or may not get your complaint upheld.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of dodgy claims companies who are regulated by the MoJ but have no qualifications, experience or knowledge other than to telesales people to get up front payments of them and then vanish before they have to pay it back.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 31
kp52
Old 20-01-2011, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default "UK Accident Helpline"

Just had a call (lady with an Indian accent) from the "United Kingdom Accident Helpline" (strange the caller ID said "International", then), claiming to be acting on info from the "Road Traffic Accident Bureau" that someone in my household had a minor acident in the past three years. Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked, and a phone number of 0800 956 2811. Very persistent, though I said bluntly that they shouldn't be cold-calling me if it's a UK firm (we're on TPS), and this must be a scam. She still tried to tell me someone had had an accident (nope) and was due some compensation. From the reaction of this caller and the computer virus caller a couple of months ago to me telling them directly they're frauds, I begin to have a tiny tiny tiny bit of sympathy for the call-centre operatives themselves - I do believe they actually believe what they're telling you! Or am I just going soft in my old age
# 32
Premier
Old 20-01-2011, 1:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp52 View Post
... Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked,...
As I mentioned in my earlier post in September, that's the address of the Wandsworth Volunteer Bureau

"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
# 33
terra_ferma
Old 21-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp52 View Post
Just had a call (lady with an Indian accent) from the "United Kingdom Accident Helpline" (strange the caller ID said "International", then), claiming to be acting on info from the "Road Traffic Accident Bureau" that someone in my household had a minor acident in the past three years. Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked, and a phone number of 0800 956 2811. Very persistent, though I said bluntly that they shouldn't be cold-calling me if it's a UK firm (we're on TPS), and this must be a scam. She still tried to tell me someone had had an accident (nope) and was due some compensation. From the reaction of this caller and the computer virus caller a couple of months ago to me telling them directly they're frauds, I begin to have a tiny tiny tiny bit of sympathy for the call-centre operatives themselves - I do believe they actually believe what they're telling you! Or am I just going soft in my old age
just had exactly the same
asked 4 email or phone no, but they said they are going to write, I don't think so.
don't click here

Last edited by terra_ferma; Today at 0:63 AM.
# 34
ngdaniels
Old 24-02-2011, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default UK Claims & Finance Department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Midge View Post
Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.
I also had a call today, they try to verify your address etc by saying they just need the first 4 digits of your debit card. When challenged to get them to tell you who you bank with they have no answer and start to get very annoyed. Eventually after approx 10 mins they put the phone down on me! And they do not give a company name. Number was completly withheld in my case.......Very Dodgy
# 35
nuttingcdef
Old 03-03-2011, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Call from "Claims Online"

Just had a call from "Claims Online" - claimed to be at 170 Garratt Lane SW18 4DP, tel. no. 090078601 (all of which I suspect is bogus - actual telephone no. was witheld) - woman with an Indian accent - told me I'd had a minor car accident in the past 3 years and they'd got my details from data supplied by what I think was meant to sound like a government department - couldn't give me any actual details of anything and needless to say I didn't assist her. My wife had had a similar call yesterday afternoon. I have no doubt in my own mind that this was a scam (I'd guess the typical pay an admin fee up front / never receive the promised compensation to which they say you were entitled / never hear from them again). So just adding my plea to anyone who gets a call like this - do not give them any information whatsoever - do not give them your bank / credit card details.
# 36
CHC74
Old 03-03-2011, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This is a typical scam along the same lines as the "technical support" scam. The call is a ruse to get your card details, and the scammers will be on a shopping spree before you've hung up the phone and had second thoughts.

NEVER give your card details to anyone who cold calls you.
A claims management company has to carry out a full assessment of your claim (and properly advise you of your chances of success), provide full details of who will be dealing with your case, who to contact in the event of a complaint and a thorough breakdown of all likely costs and charges before they can act for you (and certainly before you pay them any money).
# 37
henben
Old 21-03-2011, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default More thoughts on possible BT connection

Have just had the same pathetic attempt at a scam phone call with the usual stuff about some possible accident in the last 3 years but the caller can't reveal any details.

In our case (as in Rebecca's post of 20-10-10) there also seems to be a pointer to a BT angle. We are not married, and our BT phone is in my partner's surname (H-----); we also have Call Sign (the BT service that gives you an additional number on the same line for a nominal charge; the additional number is very different to the main one and has its own distinctive ring tone).

First of all the phone rang on the call sign number and I let it ring as it is the number used by my partner and she was out. Ten seconds later the main number rang and I answered and the first thing I heard was "Is that Mr. H-----?".

This is just too much of a coincidence as the only people who know BOTH numbers are (a) BT and (b) our friends who of course all know that I quite naturally go under my own surname rather than calling myself Mr H. In addition the caller also knew our full address.

One of the replies to Rebecca's post quoted that in BT's T&C they do claim the right to release details in certain circumstances if they believe it would be in our interest. I don't believe that the connection between the two different surnames and the two separate telephone numbers and the full postal address could be justified as a legitimate release of information in our interest. (Also I almost certainly withheld permission anyway - tho' I haven't double checked our paperwork.)

I'm not normally overly paranoid but this looks suspiciously like either a leak of, or hack into, BT's customer database.
# 38
nuttingcdef
Old 22-03-2011, 6:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just had a similar call claiming to be from a different number (02032878699) - called himself Kevin Pietersen (said 'yes' when I asked him if he played cricket ;-) ) - not the first time I've heard of similar calls (see my previous post). As far as I know these are pure scams - they tell you you can claim but have to pay a fee up front for their services - and I'd guess that would be the last you'd hear from them. I reckon they call anyone they can with this story on the basis that a high proportion of people will have had a minor accident some time in the previous few years - and say they can't tell you when or where because of the Data Protection Act! Avoid like the plague! And incidentally I don't use BT for any telecoms services - but I doubt scammers care where they get their data - all they need is name / address / telephone no. which they can get in plenty from a telephone directory!
# 39
Hezabells
Old 21-04-2011, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Calls from 'First Calls Claims' Scam

My mam received a call today from a 'company' called 'first calls claims' who claimed to be working with the Ministry of Justice in refunding bank charges and PPI to pensioners.

They stated Santander had lost two cases in the 'High Court' and the government were now working to reimbursing all pensioners who are customers of Santander. They wanted to take her bank details and charge a fee of 99 before they would then arrange to refund 900 charges.

I challenged them for their details, contact numbers, etc etc and he got really agitated and hung up on me.

We have since reported this to the Government Fraud Agency who confirmed they've received numerous calls of this nature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hezabells For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
dunstonh
Old 21-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezabells View Post
My mam received a call today from a 'company' called 'first calls claims' who claimed to be working with the Ministry of Justice in refunding bank charges and PPI to pensioners.

They stated Santander had lost two cases in the 'High Court' and the government were now working to reimbursing all pensioners who are customers of Santander. They wanted to take her bank details and charge a fee of 99 before they would then arrange to refund 900 charges.

I challenged them for their details, contact numbers, etc etc and he got really agitated and hung up on me.

We have since reported this to the Government Fraud Agency who confirmed they've received numerous calls of this nature.
Well done.

For the benefit of those not aware, they do not work with the ministry of justice. That would be like me, an IFA, saying I work with the FSA.

Also, Santander have lost no cases in court like that and the Govt is taking no such action.

It is all lies to get them to sound more official and encourage people to pay money up front. It is known as advance fee fraud.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>