Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Searcher
    • By Searcher 5th Apr 10, 11:28 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Searcher
    • 5th Apr 10, 11:28 AM
    • 5th Apr 10, 11:28 AM
    Which store was it?
    We bought a rack of lamb from Wembley and it was fine when we ate it yesterday.
  • The Hallowed Way
    • 5th Apr 10, 3:22 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 3:22 PM
    Which store was it?
    We bought a rack of lamb from Wembley and it was fine when we ate it yesterday.
    Originally posted by Searcher
    I wonder what the chances are that both you and the OP bought your lamb from the same store?
    • eranou
    • By eranou 5th Apr 10, 4:03 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    eranou
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:03 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:03 PM
    I wonder what the chances are that both you and the OP bought your lamb from the same store?
    Originally posted by The Hallowed Way
    About 1 in 270
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 5th Apr 10, 4:34 PM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:34 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:34 PM
    Might have been one of these sheep http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2920092/Aliens-are-attacking-our-sheep-UFO-experts-claim.html
    • Searcher
    • By Searcher 5th Apr 10, 4:52 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Searcher
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:52 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 4:52 PM
    Originally posted by The Hallowed Way
    Pretty slim I reckon but the question was

"Just wondering if anyone else had any problems with lamb bought from Asda this weekend."

Which I read as Asda in general rather than store specific!
  • rze1979
    • 5th Apr 10, 6:09 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 6:09 PM
    I had a very similar experience yesterday - although my lamb was from Sainsburys. I bought it a few weeks ago and put it straight into the freezer, defrosted it on Saturday to cook for family yesterday. Throughout cooking it did smell a bit unusual and had a very strong taste (more like mutton) - I got my husband to check it was edible and he said it just seemed very strong - I had to serve it cos had nothing else!!
    Hopefully my guests haven't come down with anything nasty - we all seem ok!!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 5th Apr 10, 8:01 PM
    • 10,626 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    deanos
    • 5th Apr 10, 8:01 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 8:01 PM
    Our Lamb from Sainsburys smelled funny, tasted ok tho
  • spike7451
    • 5th Apr 10, 8:24 PM
    • 5th Apr 10, 8:24 PM
    Not meaning to sound like a food snob but I never buy any meat from Supermarkets apart from meat for sarnies.
    I prefer to buy mine from my butchers in my town.Much better service,I can see the meat before I buy it as opposed to it being wrapped in polystrene & film,which make the meat sweat.
    It's also more traceable with less food miles,properly hung if required & for Christmas,I get my duck & pheasant from there too.
    I also find it cheaper buying from my butcher too,
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 5th Apr 10, 8:26 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 54,423 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I've had cheese from Asda that has gone mouldy well in the sealed pack well before the best-before date.

I know this doesn't help the OP, just wanted to say it!
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • deanos
    • By deanos 5th Apr 10, 8:43 PM
    • 10,626 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    deanos
    Originally posted by spike7451
    The lamb we got was half price local butchers cant get close when they have there offers on meat like that at the supermarkets.

Apart from when the have offers on we buy from the butchers, luckily around here we are spoilt for choice there are quite a few decent butchers locally

Im off tomorrow to get some Lincolnshire Red steak from one of the farm butchers
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Apr 10, 8:46 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 27,051 Thanks
    tessie bear
    iv had chicken from asda that has been moldy...green and honking...horrible
    on the brink...
  • 4743hudsonj
    iv had chicken from asda that has been moldy...green and honking...horrible
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    maybe theyre trying to colour code it to their logo?
  • spike7451
    The lamb we got was half price local butchers cant get close when they have there offers on meat like that at the supermarkets.

Apart from when the have offers on we buy from the butchers, luckily around here we are spoilt for choice there are quite a few decent butchers locally

Im off tomorrow to get some Lincolnshire Red steak from one of the farm butchers
    Originally posted by deanos
    Same here,we have two excellent butchers in the town as well as another couple of ones in the next town over,plus the are 3 farm shops in a 6 mile radius of my home that rear,butcher & sell their own meat & poultry.

Ironically,fish on the other hand,is a different matterThe is only one fishmonger within 30 miles of my home!Considering I live a stones throw from the Irish Sea,you'd think the'd be more...
  • I know my ABC and my CMYK
    Whatever next
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 6th Apr 10, 10:50 AM
    • 13,514 Posts
    • 22,999 Thanks
    pulliptears
    frozen half legs at Lidl are delicious, nicer than any Butcher/supermarket meat Ive ever had. Its also incredibly cheap.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• calistared
    They had run out at our local store so I went to the local butcher instead
  • goater78
    Not meaning to sound like a food snob but I never buy any meat from Supermarkets apart from meat for sarnies.
    I prefer to buy mine from my butchers in my town.Much better service,I can see the meat before I buy it as opposed to it being wrapped in polystrene & film,which make the meat sweat.
    It's also more traceable with less food miles,properly hung if required & for Christmas,I get my duck & pheasant from there too.
    Originally posted by spike7451
    I used to buy my meat from butchers as well but more and more local butchers seem to have poor standards of hygiene on the premises. My local butchers was closed because of a rat problem and i've heard similar stories about other butchers in the area. I've therefore gone to supermarkets as they tend to have better standards of hygiene and cleanliness!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Apr 10, 1:10 PM
    • 16,887 Posts
    • 38,438 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Our Lamb from Sainsburys smelled funny, tasted ok tho
    Originally posted by deanos
    Was it the vacuum packed half price one?

These are best opened a good 15 mins before cooking, the smell is a result of the packaging and soon disappears.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 6th Apr 10, 3:15 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 2,779 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    IMHO cheap shouldn't be a reason to buy food. Genetic modifying, using corn to feed herbivores, factory farming, and poor factory working conditions aren't money saving

Besides Free Range happy lambs taste delicious with mint sauce
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,848Users online

Martin's Twitter