IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Howdens appliances
Closed Thread
Views: 24,681
# 1
Pete_10
Old 28-03-2010, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Howdens appliances

Hi everyone.

Getting a kitchen from Howdens. I've been given the choice of either Bosch or Lamona for both the ovens and the hob. Been reading up on the reviews and I'm not keen on the Lamona range...lots of negative comments. Does anyone have any comments on their Bosch appliances?

Any views/opinions/comments etc welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
# 2
RX-78
Old 28-03-2010, 6:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm thinking of Howdens myself. Do they not allow you to source your own appliance/sinks/taps etc? They are usually cheaper to get it on the net (I read kitchen manufacturers have better profit margin on appliances than the units).
# 3
deanos
Old 28-03-2010, 6:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Lamona are re-badged Beko for the fridge & freezers not sure who makes the other items.

I would get your appliances elsewhere there were very expensive when we got a kitchen from them we just got the units
# 4
Pete_10
Old 28-03-2010, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes but my kitchen fitter has strongly advised against going elsewhere as the appliances may not fit properly into the units. Grrr

Pete
# 5
deanos
Old 28-03-2010, 6:57 PM

Maybe your fitter is taking a cut ?

There is no reason why they wont fit, you are not telling me a Bosch cooker + hob bought from elsewhere wont fit, they are all standard sizes
# 6
Pete_10
Old 28-03-2010, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My fitter no longer works for Howdens and is putting in my kitchen as a favour and I'm getting a discount on the appliances. So my issue is not the cost but the reliability of the Bosch appliances.

I read the bad reviews on the Lamona range and I'm hoping the Bosch appliances are good and reliable. Lamona and Bosch are the only two makes that Howdens deal with.

Pete
# 7
pimento
Old 28-03-2010, 7:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm about to have a Howdens kitchen fitted and am supplying my own appliances because I was advised by my man that Howdens weren't the cheapest. As far as I know, built in appliances are all a standard size.
# 8
pimento
Old 28-03-2010, 7:18 PM

Oh and my Bosch dishwasher (that I am about to change for an integral one) has worked perfectly since I bought it about six years ago.
# 9
deanos
Old 28-03-2010, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_10 View Post
So my issue is not the cost but the reliability of the Bosch appliances.

You said it was because your fitter said they would not fit a minute ago.
# 10
Pete_10
Old 28-03-2010, 7:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sorry about the confusion. The fitter said that any other make of ovens may not fit propery into the units.

Personally speaking I thought they were all standard sizes too...
# 11
Edinburghlass
Old 28-03-2010, 7:28 PM

I sourced my appliances elsewhere, including sink and taps and worktops. I used existing fridge, freezer and washing machine with no problems for my fitter.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 12
deanos
Old 28-03-2010, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_10 View Post
Sorry about the confusion. The fitter said that any other make of ovens may not fit propery into the units.

Personally speaking I thought they were all standard sizes too...
We have a Howdens kitchen and got a Hotpoint hob and Belling cooker and they fit without problems as the units are a standard size
# 13
Pete_10
Old 28-03-2010, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ah ha. So it would seem that my fitter is being a little difficult on purpose and with no good reason..! Hmmm

Many thanks for the replies.

So getting back on topic what are the Bosch appliances like?

Pete
# 14
jagbeth1
Old 28-03-2010, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We bought both our kitchen and appliances from Howdens.

We have Bosch dishwasher, hob and built in over and they have been installed about 18 months and we have never had any problems with any of them and would definately buy again

Hope this helps...
Elite 5:2 #6 8 /34lbs
# 15
pandora205
Old 28-03-2010, 9:07 PM

I have a Howdens kitchen and had a Bosch hob and oven fitted. It is beautiful and works perfectly, so I'm very happy, although I think it could have be sourced cheaper elsewhere probably. My only reservation is going for a basic extractor fan - I wish I hadn't now.
somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
# 16
sheslookinhot
Old 28-03-2010, 9:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: I'm in the phone booth, it's the one across the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora205 View Post
I have a Howdens kitchen and had a Bosch hob and oven fitted. It is beautiful and works perfectly, so I'm very happy, although I think it could have be sourced cheaper elsewhere probably. My only reservation is going for a basic extractor fan - I wish I hadn't now.
What make of fan and what problems have you experienced ? I intend to get a CDA cooker hood. (£150)

I am buying Bosch, Hob, Double Oven, Fridge & Fridge / Freezer. Neff Dishwasher and Washing Machine.
2013 MFW challenge
Target:- Mortgage Free this year
b
alance at 1 Mar= £1,931
# 17
headoutthesand
Old 28-03-2010, 9:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I got my kitchen from Howdens last month. I got their own Oven and hob and they work fine. Kitchen fitter recommended them. He is an independant fitter who uses Howdens all the time. I supplied my own washing machine, fridge etc.

My fitter has a trade account with Howdens so I just paid howdens direct and got everything at trade price. Kitchen fitter took £600 for fitting the lot which I thought was really reasonable.......
Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
Debts as of March 2014
Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
Debts as of August 2014
Nationwide - £5343, Overdraft - £0
# 18
pimento
Old 28-03-2010, 9:31 PM

What was wrong with the cheap extractor? I'm going for a cheap one, tell me why I shouldn't please!
# 19
Colour Republic
Old 29-03-2010, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Bosch appliances are very highly regarded in the industry as a premium brand you will have no problems. Very reliable.

As to regards to them fitting, I'm afraid your kitchen fitter either doesn't know what he's talking about or is lying to you, maybe because he is making a profit, Which is not unheard of as he has to arrange it all for you and that is worth a small service fee. But in reality most kitchen fitters can get a large discount on appliances so often make some sort of mark up. We can purchase appliances and sell them onto a customer matching even the cheapest deals on the internet and still make a small profit meaning everyone’s a winner. The key here though is honesty. Howden’s are expensive for appliances and even when you apply their large discounts they still work out more expensive than competitors
# 20
roddydogs
Old 29-03-2010, 9:34 AM

Its not the cost of the extractor, to be any good it MUST have outside venting, not just re-cycling the old air.
Closed Thread