Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Freehold Manager requesting consent to Sublet (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Freehold Manager requesting consent to Sublet
Views: 11,632
# 1
anniebea
Old 27-03-2010, 2:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Freehold Manager requesting consent to Sublet

Anyone who has freehold managers plc as their freeholder should be aware of the following. I have received a demand for 129 to gain thier consent for sub letting.

I have read my lease and there is nowhere in the lease that it says I need thier consent. I suspect that they have done a trawl of leases where the leaseholders address does not match the property address and send out a standard letter.

I wonder how many people just pay up without checking thier lease first, a nice little earner for this company if people just pay up..

I have sent them a letter recorded delivery asking them to point out where in my lease it states that I must get thier consent to sublet and I await thier response.

Given thier usual incompetence I am not expected a speedy reply, so in my letter I have stated that If I do not hear from them in 21 days I will consider the matter closed.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anniebea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
GarySt
Old 29-03-2010, 3:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Freehold Managers

I phoned them and explained they had no right to charge it on our block and asked them to write to all the off-site owners they had sent charges to. The woman hung up on me.
I then got the management company to send out a word of warning to all the off-site owners telling them not to fall for it.
They tried this 3 years ago and we just ignored them. Isnt it illegal to obtain monies by deceit?
Our lease says we need permission to sublet from the management company, nothing about 'charging' or 'freeholder'.

Best to ignore them. They are scum.
The Following User Says Thank You to GarySt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Fire Fox
Old 29-03-2010, 3:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Any chance you conveyed the fact that you think they are scum before you got hung up on?
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
anniebea
Old 30-03-2010, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This company will try anything.... they tried to charge me twice for ground rent on two different Flats We bought no 13 ( renumbered to 14 something to do with 13 being unlucky) They then tried to charge us for the non existant no 13 AND no 14. They didnt respond to emails, or letters and even threatned us with debt collectors for non payment!!! Something realtivley simple took months to sort out.
They are totally unprofessional and incompetent.
The Following User Says Thank You to anniebea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
G_M
Old 31-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
They are totally unprofessional and incompetent.
Sound very competant to me. Making lots of money for their shareholders!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G_M For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
anniebea
Old 18-04-2010, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Having challeneged this demand, freehold managers has now sent me a letter saying I do not need to pay, nothing in lease, and not a requirement of insurance, so thier demand was just a speculative demand with no substance.

So have saved myself 190+ and 127 each time my tenants change.

My advice is to anyone who gets one of these demand is read your lease and challenge these type of demands.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anniebea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
kaych
Old 18-04-2010, 2:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks for sharing your experience! as we will become leaseholders soon, it's good to know that some of the tricks that these freeholders are up to!

sometimes i am just wondering because of the so many restriction stated in the lease, we are actually not buying the flat, we are simply buying 'the right to live there'.... a bit expensive for that kind of service...
# 8
jamboken77
Old 15-05-2010, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Does anybody knows what can happen to you if you don't gain consent to sub let?
How would the management company ever know if I rented out my flat?
# 9
chris_m
Old 15-05-2010, 6:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboken77 View Post
Does anybody knows what can happen to you if you don't gain consent to sub let?
How would the management company ever know if I rented out my flat?
A different postal address would give them a hint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris_m For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jamboken77
Old 15-05-2010, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It would, but I haven't informed them of a change in my address. My post is redirected so still receive all of the bills. My flat is still unoccupied, so just considering my options. 100+ is a lot when I have agency fees as well :-(
# 11
Fire Fox
Old 16-05-2010, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaych View Post
sometimes i am just wondering because of the so many restriction stated in the lease, we are actually not buying the flat, we are simply buying 'the right to live there'.... a bit expensive for that kind of service...
That is exactly what you are doing!!
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Manwithaview
Old 14-06-2010, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebea View Post
Having challeneged this demand, freehold managers has now sent me a letter saying I do not need to pay, nothing in lease, and not a requirement of insurance, so thier demand was just a speculative demand with no substance.

So have saved myself 190+ and 127 each time my tenants change.

My advice is to anyone who gets one of these demand is read your lease and challenge these type of demands.
I too am having major problems with this organisation on the same issue I don't suppose you would be willing to share the text of your letter? You seem to have had a result that the rest of us can only dream about.
This organisation are a real nasty piece of work and anyone who can get a victory out of them deserves a medal!
The Following User Says Thank You to Manwithaview For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
anniebea
Old 14-06-2010, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The content of the letter I sent was along the lines of ....

With reference to your letter of 15th March which was received on 19th March in which you request an administration fee for your consent to let the above property, please advise under which clause in the lease you are making this request. There is no clause in the lease which requires us to gain your consent to let the property.

Please respond within 21 days of the date of this letter. If I do not receive a response within that time showing where in my lease I need your consent, I will consider that this matter is closed and no further action is required on my part.

I sent you a seperate message for another forum where you can see we are having some sucess challenging these people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anniebea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Manwithaview
Old 16-06-2010, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebea View Post
The content of the letter I sent was along the lines of ....

With reference to your letter of 15th March which was received on 19th March in which you request an administration fee for your consent to let the above property, please advise under which clause in the lease you are making this request. There is no clause in the lease which requires us to gain your consent to let the property.

Please respond within 21 days of the date of this letter. If I do not receive a response within that time showing where in my lease I need your consent, I will consider that this matter is closed and no further action is required on my part.

I sent you a seperate message for another forum where you can see we are having some sucess challenging these people.
Many thanks for this unsure if you have received my response trying to work this website out!! sorry for being a nuisance but did you send your letter to the PO Box 2098 address or do you have another address to send it to? I was wanting to send this recoorded delivery to ensure they received it in case i need that evidence later on. Unsure if you can send anything recorded or special delivery to a PO Box address?
The Following User Says Thank You to Manwithaview For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
CA73
Old 03-02-2011, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I let my flat out and Freehold Managers Plc are the Freeholders. Last year when I moved out and let the flat I changed my address with them (for Ground Rent billing purposes) and also received the letter re 129 payment request and request for various documents for them to consent to lease out. - I thought I had sent these and payment off and the matter was closed though on checking today the cheque does not appear to have debited my account.

Fast forward to today and I've had a letter advising that I am subletting without their consent (which re above I guess I am!) - No mention of 129 on documents just a request for a copy of the tenancy agreement and payment for the 'licence I wish to obtain'.

The 2 licences noted on their enclosed 'Application to Sublet' form are the following.....

Standard Licence (including notice fee) - 260 - Annual fee

or

Global Licence (including notice fee) - 400 - Licence granted for 5 years

Does anyone have any ideas whether all this sounds right??? I'm off to dig out the lease!

Any assistance appreciated.

Caroline

Last edited by CA73; 03-02-2011 at 5:19 PM.
# 16
anniebea
Old 03-02-2011, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As stated in my previous post - there was nothing in my lease to say I had to get thier consent. I challlenged it and got a letter from them admitting that my lease does not say anything about getting thier consent so I do not have to pay.

The letter they send out is a standard letter and they admit they send it when the property address and billing address do not match.

Dig out your lease and see what it says - if there is no requirement in the lease, challenge it.
The Following User Says Thank You to anniebea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Ulfar
Old 03-02-2011, 6:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Check your lease and when its not in there tell them to go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulfar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Gulliblegirl
Old 31-05-2011, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Having paid Freehold Managers the annual "permission to sublet" fee for several years, I have now received a renewal letter offering me the "Global licence" option plus the information that I have to advise them i.e. pay even more money every time the tenant changes. Don't think I've seen that before. Anyone else come across this refinement?
# 19
Ulfar
Old 31-05-2011, 6:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry check your lease, only pay what is in the lease. The lease is a binding legal contract and if the charges aren't in there they can go whistle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ulfar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
nverma001
Old 07-06-2011, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfar View Post
Sorry check your lease, only pay what is in the lease. The lease is a binding legal contract and if the charges aren't in there they can go whistle.
Hi thanks for the info,

I assume when you say check your lease you mean checking what is held on the land registry? Pls clarify as I am new to leasehold.

Cheers