Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Mar 10, 2:46 PM
    • 5,028Posts
    • 50,081Thanks
    greent
    greent's mfw journey
    • 26th Mar 10, 2:46 PM
    greent's mfw journey 26th Mar 10 at 2:46 PM
    Afternoon all!

I have been inspired after reading lots of the diaries on here to join in.

Background: OH and I are both 40. Have 4 children (12, almost 10, 4 and 10 months) OH was made redundant twice last year and recently started working as a contractor on a daily rate (4 month contract, may be extended a little) - so we now have a limited co of which we are both directors. I no longer work. We have a BTL property on which we have an interest only mtge and will clear that by selling the property (only bought for capital gain, not income, purposes) BTL property has long term tenant in. Rent covers mtge and buildings insce and repairs/ renewals with a small excess - but not much.However, it's on a fixed rate and takes care of itself.

MFW relates to our home. Bought in Oct 2005 for 277k, 130k mtge over just under 16 years (kept previous end date) Since then we have added a further 30k to the mtge for a loft conversion (needed due to the no of children!!) that cost approx 35k. We have also spent 20k+ on a bespoke fitted kitchen and building work - but financed that from savings/ income. And decorated and new carpets (previous owners ran out of money and had to sell, so place was full of stuff to do, even though it's still only 11 years old!) Some overpayments have been made, as can be seen from the overall balance.

OUr mtge is with C&G. I have a statement for balances as at 31/12/09:
    (Balance as at 31/01/2009 was £124 616, so we reduced the balance by just under 20k last year)
    Sub Account 01
    Term remaining 12 years and 7 months.
    Fixed rate 4.79% - until 30/09/10
    Balance £79512.27

Sub Account 02
    Term remaining 13 years 1 month
    Fixed rate 3.99% until 30/04/11
    Balance £25423.78

Sub Account 03
    Term remaining 12 years and 7 months
    Fixed rate 4.79% until 30/09/10
    Balance £33.32

TOTAL BALANCE: £104969.37

We can repay by 10% a year without incurring penalty fees. We pay £1074.94/ month - this includes an element of overpayment, but I'm not sure how much (we didn't reduce our monthly payments when we paid off £12500 after DH was made redundant the first time)

My first step is going to be repaying Sub Account 03 We are with C&G, so I will phone them up about this. I can also afford to repay £4k to £5k from sub account 01, I think - but will leave that until after a meeting with our accountant (we are not sure yet exactly how much OH will be paid from the linited co)

I'm kind of looking for advice/ ideas, I guess... Would posting an income/ expenditure budget be an idea?

greent

ETA: We don't have any other debts. CCs are used (Tesco ones for Clubcard points for rewards) but are paid off in full.
    Last edited by greent; 25-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales in 2016 £478.02/£500
    Sept grocery spends ??/ £350 NSDs 6/7
Page 67
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 27th Aug 16, 11:24 PM
    • 6,560 Posts
    • 34,913 Thanks
    tattycath
    Happy anniversary for yesterday greent.
    Congratulations to DS1 on his exam results-brilliant!
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - PF £650- SSF £1,275
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    September £107.27/£200
    Sept GC £232/£200
    Savercard Christmas savings £208/£288
    19/3/16 = 176lb
    • greent
    • By greent 27th Aug 16, 11:37 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    It's raining here ��
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    It ended up raining here in the afternoon - whilst I was out at the supermarket However, it wasn't that heavy and the washing all ended up dry by tonight. Had a marathon ironing session tonight and there's now just 3 things left in the basket (1 kingsize duvet cover and 2 of OH's shirts)

Greent, you amaze me with your energy. And I just love your list of spends. Where's the helicopter ride going to be, nearabouts?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    The helicopter ride will be in Glos - we have a wee airport where it's going to go from

Happy Anniversary!
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you!

Happy anniversary for yesterday greent.
    Congratulations to DS1 on his exam results-brilliant!
    Originally posted by tattycath
    Thank you - on both counts!

xx
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 28th Aug 16, 6:57 AM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well done to your DS and to his parents!

You do sound soon positive.
    • greent
    • By greent 28th Aug 16, 10:01 AM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    Well done to your DS and to his parents!

You do sound soon positive.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Thanks shs

Life is feeling pretty ok right now - ok, the house is an absolute tip, but more in terms of muddles, toys and piles of clean laundry in places where they shouldn't be. And I have a long list of paperwork tasks to complete. But the teens have done well and are pleased with their results (rightly so) and DD is excited about Cardiff and the smaller 2 are, frankly, delightful (ok - maybe only about 95% of the time, but even so...! ) And little things like they have no hang ups about wearing any hand me downs from my loft shopping - they actually like it. I know there will come a point when it becomes an issue, but that's ok. DS1 has clearly been trained in leftovers - he brought back all of his unused ration pack pieces - so we had an assortment of hot chocolate and coffee sachets, tea bags, energy drink sachets, some random snacks, muesli, foil packed pasta toppings and a main meal in a foil pack. Things which we won't use have been bagged up and are by the front door ready to go to Tesc0 for the food bank collection and the rest has been absorbed into our cupboards. They get thrown out if he doesn't bring them back, which would be a terrible waste

Was talking to OH about FI/RE concept yesterday - he was already thinking that he only wants to do 'real' work for another 9/10 years (takes us to 55/56) Our main issue is that we had 4 children over a spread out period..... The youngest won't leave school until we're 57 - and then there's always the possibility of uni to consider... However, he likes the idea in principle, so I'd really like him to look at some EA articles and other bits out there (it's very much a case of slowly-slowly with him) I'd be happy with 55 if we could make it work. He could take one of his pensions then - but it would be better if we could leave it until 60. In the meantime we're re-inspired to clear things out, making money (well, recouping some, hopefully!) and space along the way. Starting with me putting all the laundry away, getting the small ones on board with clearing out their rooms (both of these are regularly recurring themes in this house! ) and fleabaying (finally) some of the piles of stuff discovered on a clearout earlier in the year..... I've lost my fleabay motivation this year - I think it'll be ok if I can just motivate myself to start and some things go - once I see the benefit again I'll be motivated, I'm sure - it's just that listing things in the first place is such a drag!!
    x
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Aug 16, 11:04 AM
    • 26,272 Posts
    • 137,563 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I think you're absolutely right to start the process with decluttering - I'm assuming your money is working it's hardest for you? I need to focus on that, actually

But decluttering makes your environment better/more spacious, it's easier to keep clean, you may earn income from doing it, and it helps you reassess your priorities, as things literally "clear up". And if part of your future plans is a move, then that becomes easier too what's not to like?

Retired 25 August 2016

• greent
    • By greent 29th Aug 16, 8:36 AM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    I think you're absolutely right to start the process with decluttering - I'm assuming your money is working it's hardest for you? I need to focus on that, actually

But decluttering makes your environment better/more spacious, it's easier to keep clean, you may earn income from doing it, and it helps you reassess your priorities, as things literally "clear up". And if part of your future plans is a move, then that becomes easier too what's not to like?

Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Kc - I also need to focus on ensuring that our money is working hard. I think I'm overwhelmed by mess at the moment to concentrate on much - return to school will bring that back in line.

I have a fleabay offer of 25% off fvf which ends today - so I hereby pledge to list 20 things by midnight tonight...... that'll be a hard task, but should hopefully go some way to reducing 'stuff' around.

Moving.... ahhh.... I'm still not in love with my house, unlike our old one. However, to get a house this size but with added benefit of a larger garden (we have a decent size for a modern house, but I mean 0.5acres or more) I'd have to spend around 750-800k minimum (because it would be rural Glos then - we're on the edge of rural area - 10 mins drive and we're deep in it) - and no way could we afford that sort of leap, nor would anyone consider lending us that sort of money!! Plus our house works for us - downsizing may come when all children have left home - although I'd like to go a bit rural way then, so downsizing would probably mean a smaller place costing the same! In the meantime I'll move vicariously with those on the mfw board who are doing it - far cheaper!!

School uniform/ shoe/ bag/ stationery shopping with DS1 today - joy of joys! I'm hoping that we can sort it all in less than 3 hours....... fingers crossed....

Other than that my plans are (in no particular order):
    (the shopping above)
    * ironing
    * put irning and rest of laundry away
    * list min 20 items on ebay
    * quick smkt trip for cereal and milk....
    * bake rolls/ bread ? - might leave until tomorrow
    * clean kitchen inc vac and mopping floor
    * do some tidying in DS3's room (might get left in favour of ebaying)

Depends how long shopping takes as to how much I achieve.

Currently have chicken stock from last night's carcass simmering away on the hob. Had very yummy dinner of (ys) chicken from freezer, with parsnips (ys and frozen), broccoli, asparagus, yorkies, stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots & peas. Remains (not much!) of chicken stripped. SMall bits will be used in a risotto (also likely to use this batch of stock) and a pasta dish (just about enough for both) Remaining breast slices will be frozen in gravy and DD can have them sometime when others are eating something which she doesn't like (such as chilli). Followed dinner with either apple and pear crumble (hg pears, apples from neighbour's tree) or (hg) pears poached in red wine and mixed spice, served with whipped vanilla double cream. Yummy! Bit of an expensive pud (a £12 bottle of red was sacrificed to the pears! ) but oh so good!

Right - off to shower and dress and wake the teens before heading into town....

xx
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Aug 16, 8:51 AM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    My Mum does a storming pears in red wine with toasted almonds. Yummy.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Aug 16, 10:13 AM
    • 26,272 Posts
    • 137,563 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Tricky situation, even though the towns of Glos are so lovely ... I know what you mean about not being in love with the house, I'm not in love with this one. I adored my 3 bed, 3 floor terrace in centralish Brighton, but the area was too noisy, and that was a while ago now.

You sent me off to rightmove again .... argh!
    Retired 25 August 2016

• greent
    • By greent 30th Aug 16, 8:49 AM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    Hmmm.... yesterday's plans didn't turn out as expected - Gloucester didn't have the size suit we needed so had to nip to CRibbs Causeway@ Bristol. Suit/ shoe/ bag/ socks shopping finally accomplished and we returned home around 4pm! I then ordered some more shirts and spare trousers online and they didn't have any more at Cribbs. I may have ordered some chocolate brown bath and hand towels too.....

I knocked a (part) cup of tea over my laptop (knocked it with my boobs when getting up from my chair) and it wasn't working last night. Left it open for hours in an upside down V shape and it seems ok this morning.... fingers crossed!!! I listed 27 blank listings on ebay last night on DS3's tablet - argh! - will make them 'proper' listings over the next couple of days. Quick smkt trip done - milk and cereals and some veg purchased Cleaned kitchen inc floor (still need to wipe over cupboard doors) and put most of the ironing away. Bread and rolls baking will be done later - as will DS3s room (hopefully)

Today:
    * fat club
    * bake bread and rolls
    * washing
    * ironing - and put away
    * do 11+ paper with DS2
    * DS3's room
    * vacuum dining room/ hall/ living room/ family room/ office/ loo. Mop appropriate floors
    * ebay?

And anything else I can fit in/ think of along the way

x

ETA: Kc - stay away from rightmove! (unless it's to view house p0rn, like my husband does - he lusts after the country houses in rural Glos )
    Last edited by greent; 30-08-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 30th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Busy bee!
    About to start on floors myself.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Aug 16, 10:54 AM
    • 26,272 Posts
    • 137,563 Thanks
    Karmacat
    ETA: Kc - stay away from rightmove! (unless it's to view house p0rn, like my husband does - he lusts after the country houses in rural Glos )
    Originally posted by greent
    I'll try My sister really did *send* me there the other day. My mum lives in a town where some Liverpool footballers hang their hats, and one "house" was on sale for £12.5 million, with over 100 pics to show you the place

Save
    Retired 25 August 2016

• greent
    • By greent 12th Sep 16, 7:56 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    Argh! Spends this month are crazy! £600 on my mot and service (4 new tyres needed) £360 on 4 new tyres for OH (we were going to hang on until next month as we knew he needed 4 new tyres but he burst a tyre after hitting a kerb in Cheltenham - he drove home on the motorway and thankfully the tyre didn't burst until he was in creeping traffic less than 2 miles from home - that would have been very nasty, and it was peak commuting time!) + lots of spending on DD for uni!!

We were both working like crazy last week on the rental ready for the new tenants - lots of glossing (all new doors), cleaning, rubbish removal from things, arranging EPC, painting of walls.... but it looked lovely and the new tenants moved in on Sat. I left them a large bunch of cream roses in a clear vase as they are very neutral in their d!cor tastes! That means money coming in - £130 ish mtge a month (ok, interest only) with £530 rental income. Yes, we've spent out on it in the past 12 months to get it to that state but (fingers crossed) the only expenses in the next 12 months (exc mtge and buildings insce) will be ground rent (covers all garden maintenance etc) of £200ish, an electrical inspection (last one 4 years ago) and a 25% contribution to the gutters being cleared. We can start building up the money towards repaying the mtge in 7 years then

DD goes to uni on Friday - we will take smallest 2 to school in my car and then come home and leave to cross into Wales, having packed up OH's car the night before with most things. I still have a few things to buy for her (maybe 3 or 4) and then she can buy anything we've forgotten herself! - she will be quite close to a large Tosco, so will be fine

Still no job for OH - our plan after this week is to spend min 2 days/ week each on house/ garden jobs. First jobs in the garden will be to oil tables and chairs for Winter, paint fences, clear out and replant pots and dress the lawns with Autumn feed stuff - oh, and chop back overhanging tree branches before they drop their leaves in my garden! House is tidying/ cleaning/ decluttering (over and above 'normal' cleaning/ tidying) and small maintenance jobs inc new carpet in the understairs cupboard (leftover piece from rental, so a freebie in effect) and redecorating DS1's room. Would like (if OH doesn't get a job before) most little niggles sorted before Xmas

xx
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    DD went off to uni yesterday - we took her there with all her stuff, did some of the unpacking (made her bed etc), bought her lunch, bought her some shopping @ Tesc0 and then left her to it and came home to the boys. Oh, how I miss her already - I don't miss any of them when they are at sleepovers/ school trips away etc but I know I'm not seeing her for a month and that she's forging a new life so it's so very different. Today it was like a physical pain at times. However, I channelled that into getting DS3's room tidy (and getting rid of some stuff along the way), doing some tidying in DS2's room with him, sorting some NNS stuff out and doing some tidying/ sorting in my room and bathroom - oh, and a little bit in the garden - so positive stuff My pushbike was put at the bottom of the drive with a 'free' sign on and went (yeay!) - which I was pleased with - we live in a tiny cul de sac but have a cut through at the bottom to the canal path so we do get some footfall through. I also got rid of some old schoolwork of DS3's (recycled) some little toys (passed on/ binned as appropriate) and sorted out a couple of items of clothing for the next bag of textile recycling via H&M

OH has fitted new carpet in understairs cupboard and painted the walls with leftover paint. We have bought a new (larger) shoe shelf which works so much better. Have also reorganised where things go in there so it *should* stay tidier in future.

Doing reasonably well at eating food stores up (and sent DD off with some). Will target using up some things which have been hanging around a while. Had fakeaway kebabs tonight which were gorgeous, very cheap and also healthy

DS1 seems to be enjoying VIth form. DS2 is loving Y6. We have been letting him ride to school by himself a few times - he is loving the independence DS3 is scrummy and loving being a Junior now that he's in Y3. They are all fab

Right - time for bed and a chapter or two, I think! Will catch up with diaries tomorrow
    xx
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 35,163 Thanks
    newgirly
    Oh bless you greent, it must be so hard her leaving My dd is talking about doing some of her course abroad possibly which I am smiling and nodding about - inside though it's like.... noooooo!!!! stay with mummy

I hope she settles in quickly and returns home with all her washing soon
    MFW 21
    Target for 2016 £30,000 \ £72,350.11 paid so far

Mortgage £63,080 5 yrs 8 months left. Total owed £92,893.96. Fridge fund £0

Weight loss 2016 - 17.25 lb lost 40lb target
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 6,152 Posts
    • 29,162 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Loving catching up. FIRE plans, eldest off to uni, others all doing well at school and you sound focussed and happy. Sounds great. Very pleased for you

Xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £7000 0%; Savings: £1400
    Declutter 50 items before 30.09.16 42/50 **
    NSDs Target 5 for September 3/5 EBay Sales Target 30.09.16 £299/£100
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 19th Sep 16, 4:11 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 16,446 Thanks
    Watty1
    Can imagine hard letting DD go. Great motivation to be a whirlwind in the house though
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0

Jan 2016 Started saving to clear next mortgage, Target: £50,000 Total saved so far: £11400
    • greent
    • By greent 19th Sep 16, 6:17 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    DD is having a whale of a time already . I am truly happy for her and am fine when busy - think I may have been too busy this weekend, though - crashed out on the sofa after school pick up this afternoon for a much needed nap for an hour! Was at work today for just over 6 hours too - and my back is aching as a result. Still - all money from invigilating counts as extra and goes into some sort of pot

Got rid of a vacuum yesterday from outside the house (Still have 3 left here and also sent DD off with a little one.....) OH mowed the lawns and trimmed the front hedges, DS1 burned lots of rubbish in the chiminea and I baked bread, rolls and flapjack and cooked chilli for dinner and did shopping, tidying/ cleaning, ironing and supervised DS2 & DS3 doing homework - no day of rest on a Sunday here!!

OH is out tomorrow on a schools appeals panel (he's a panel member) and I have SW first thing and need to go to Tesc0 afterwards. After that, I don't think we have any fixed plans for the rest of the week! (there are kids' activities on an evening and the boys also have a dentist appt after school one day - but nothing fixed in the daytime!) We might use one of our afternoon tea vouchers as a treat for the 2 of us and other than that, get some little niggly jobs done in the house and some decluttering - and possibly paperwork Oh - I've just realised I need to go to the volunteer charity thing I do one morning (Thurs or Fri) - I still need to clear that paperwork and then that is going to go - it is like a weight in my life now and I am not giving it enough attention - it deserves someone new who will give it the time and passion which I used to.

Little present bits being purchased here towards Xmas and pre-Xmas birthdays - will need to focus on that a bit more come next month. Ended up spending almost £1k on mine and OH's cars this month so spare cash has been somewhat limited!

x
    • greent
    • By greent 20th Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    Back was hurting so much last night that I could hardly move. Bit better today after a reasonable night's sleep and some hefty anti-inflamms! . SW this morning = 1lb loss Have pottered about since - cleared some ash from chiminea into empty compost bin. Emptied spent compost from 2 potato sacks into compost bin. Done some online banking, moved some money around, paid the CCs - burned some old bills on chiminea. Priced some items for NNS (3.5weeks time) Found 2 books to go into CS box. Listed 9 items on fleabay (still lots to do, but it's a start!) Cleaned downstairs cloakroom. Mini Tesco shop inc some Xmas chocs (now stashed under my bed) and that's about it. Just having a quick cuppa before nipping up to school to get smallest 2 as OH not home from appeals panel until later. He's also at a Governors lunch on Fri, so no cream tea this week - shall book it in for next week instead when I check everyone's plans (am aiming for Weds or Friday)

x

ETA: now up to 14 fleabay items, another item in CS pile and more items priced for NNS
    Last edited by greent; 20-09-2016 at 7:27 PM.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 20th Sep 16, 3:48 PM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 35,163 Thanks
    newgirly
    I hope your back is improving greent, I too bought some Xmas chocs today (2x tubs of heroes for £7 ) I thought I'd save one for Xmas and taste test the others to make sure they will be ok come Xmas
    MFW 21
    Target for 2016 £30,000 \ £72,350.11 paid so far

Mortgage £63,080 5 yrs 8 months left. Total owed £92,893.96. Fridge fund £0

Weight loss 2016 - 17.25 lb lost 40lb target
    • greent
    • By greent 22nd Sep 16, 5:33 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 50,081 Thanks
    greent
    I bought heroes and celebrations, ng

Box of educational/ revision books to Ziffit. 4 of the ebay items have sold and have been posted today Money already transferred to CC repayment More items brought in to list on ebay. Various gumpf from garage recycled/ binned as appropriate. OH changed about a dozen non working lightbulbs in the house today Can see a small amount of progress in house OH said earlier that he wants to get something achieved every day - yeay!

OH & I went to see Bad Moms at cinema this afternoon and then we nipped to outlet centre - bought some cheap Xmas cards and a reduced pair of Clarks trainers/ shoes (school run wear for me) and then dentist appt for all 3 boys after school. DS2 currently at swimming. Rest of evening will be dinner/ homework/ bed stuff/ ironing to tv and maybe some ebay listing Beautiful blue sky here.

DD is embracing Freshers week!

x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,263Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter