Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Entertainer
    Burst pipes after freeze in a house I'm buying.
    • 25th Mar 10, 10:14 PM
    Burst pipes after freeze in a house I'm buying. 25th Mar 10 at 10:14 PM
    I am in the process of buying a house and just before we exchanged the vendors left the heating off in January (it is empty) and it froze up and all the pipes leaked. They've had two dehumidifiers going for a couple of weeks at least but despite this, there is mould on the walls still and on the plasterboard under the floorboards. The damp meter goes off the scale. The floorboards upstairs are warped and need replacing, all the carpets are spoiled (they would probably be replaced anyway) and I'm not sure about the plasterboard.

I've had three builders down and none of them are giving me any definitive answers about what it would cost. I imagine it would take months(?) to dry out. I've negotiated 10k off the price but am beginning to wonder what the full extent of this could be. Someone told me that they heard of a friend who had frozen pipes and they had a bill of 45,000!!!

If anyone has any experience of this, I'd be grateful for their input.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

273Posts Today

876Users online

Martin's Twitter