Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • the boyo
    • 31st Jul 06, 5:37 PM
    • 31st Jul 06, 5:37 PM
    My brother has just replaced his tiny downstairs bathroom himself because he had 3 quotes all over £5k (floor, tiling, bath with shower over, sink & toilet).
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 31st Jul 06, 7:58 PM
    • 23,788 Posts
    • 3,164,303 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 31st Jul 06, 7:58 PM
    • 31st Jul 06, 7:58 PM
    Depends what you want, im about to change a downstairs cupboard into a downstairs toilet, but im going to have a sani flow put in, linked to the waste from the upstairs toilet, as this will be a lot cheaper than having new waste put in. Luckily, i have a friend who can do it for me, so will cost about £500 for everything (which includes making a cupboard for the gas meter, putting in a fan light for ventilation, tiling, the toilet, sani flow and basin etc) which i think is very good, how much a professional would charge, im not sure.
    Mind you, if you are after a shower and/or bath as well, then you would have to have proper drainage, so would cost a few thousand!!!
  • Prudent
    • 31st Jul 06, 8:23 PM
    • 31st Jul 06, 8:23 PM
    My brother has just replaced his tiny downstairs bathroom himself because he had 3 quotes all over 5k (floor, tiling, bath with shower over, sink & toilet).
    by the boyo
    Goodness that's high. Friends of mine have just had a large bathroom replaced (includering replastering of walls and seperate shower unit) for jst under 3,500. This also included wall and floor tiling - one wall was painted.
  • star1
    • 31st Jul 06, 8:39 PM
    • 31st Jul 06, 8:39 PM
    Anyone got any ideas as to how much it roughly costs to have a downstairs bathroom installed?
    by SID
    To give an indication on price, and accurate assessment of what would need to be done to install a bathroom - you would need to advise of the following?

- Is this a replacement or a new / additional bathroom?
    - Is the room existing? or does it need to be constructed in a corridor/garage or part of another room?
    - Is there suitable drainage in or adaject to the room on the side where the toilet/bath/sink are to be installed, or does a device such as a sani-flow need to be considered?
    - Is there existing plumbing (hot and Cold) in the room, or adjacet to the room? and is this suitable pipe size to serve the toilet/sink/bath?
    - Is the existing hot water supply (combi or tank) suffiencient to suppot an additional bathroom (ie. is there enough storred water etc)? or do tanks need to be enlarged, or a larger/more powerful combi installed?
    - Is there a window, outside wall - to allow for install of an event/fan? or where/how will it be ducted, to prevent buildup of steam/conndensation/mould.

As you can see - a number of factors that need to be considered before just going ahead and installing a bathroom, and some these can increase the cost significantly .... If you're able to answer these - it will help with providing you with a more accurate "ball-park figure" ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

6,314Users online

Martin's Twitter