Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Peugeot 206 - Engine cut out problem (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Peugeot 206 - Engine cut out problem
Views: 40,427
# 1
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Peugeot 206 - Engine cut out problem

Hi there,

I have a pretty dangerous fault with my Peugeot 206.

It started last night. I'd been driving for about 20 minutes, at about 50mph. My engine gave a small judder, almost like I'd hit a small bump in the road, and my engine warning light came on. About a second later, the engine warning light turned off. I decided to not worry about it too much, and carried on driving. About 5 minutes later, I was approaching a roundabout - and as I started slowing down (so, traveling between 30mph and 40mph at this point), my engine cut out completely. As in, no judders, it wasn't a stall - one minute, the engine was ticking over fine, then it just turned itself off.

After the car came to a halt (with some difficulty, since I'd lost the electric assistance for my brakes and power steering), I restarted it again with no problem. Hoping it was a one-off, I continued my journey. Right up until the same thing happened at the next roundabout I approached. At this stage, I decided that continuing to drive may be somewhat dangerous, especially as I was heading into a town centre, so I called the AA. However, after waiting an hour and a half for the nice man to arrive, he told me that since the engine warning light had turned off there was no point in even hooking up the machine for a roadside test, so he towed me home.

I took my car into a garage this morning (as it's easy for me to work from home) - a few hours later I have a 53 bill and they've not managed to find anything wrong with the car, and the problem hasn't happened again even after driving it around for about 45 minutes. This prompted me to google the issue, and I was horrified to find that this problem is not unique to my car - but is certainly a problem that was featured on watchdog in 2004.

So, I phoned the Peugeot dealership, who first of all tried to tell me I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet (right up until I pointed out I'd seen the Watchdog program), and then informed me that to troubleshoot the problem, they will have to charge me 45 for a full Peugeot flavour diagnostic test, which may result in a new download to my ECU (also chargable) - which may not work. And then after that, I will be charged 75 for each hour my car is being looked at, and if the test comes back clean, then a 2 hour test (also chargeable!) will be carried out.

I feel stuck in a bind. I've told the Peugeot Dealers to pick it up when they can (Friday) so they can check it out. I can't really afford this kind of money. Peugeot seem reluctant to deal with this suitably unless you phone them armed with the fact that the issue was on Watchdog in 2004.

Given that this problem has been pretty widely publicised in the past, I'm pretty disgusted that Peugeot are even now still refusing to admit that the issue is with their car, and are so gleeful about charging such extortionate prices for procedures that they admit may not work.

I've written to Watchdog, saying that the problem is alive and well, and that Peugeot are making silly amounts of money off it. And in the meantime, I'm having to work from home, I daren't drive my car, and I'm facing the prospect of a somewhat lonley birthday (or at least an expensive train journey) since I certainly won't feel safe driving a 3 hour trek on what will be mostly motorway!

Well, cutting this long story to an end - I was wondering if anyone here had dealt with this issue at all, and if they managed to get Peugeot to accept any ownership of the fault at all? Also, if anyone has any ideas of what it could be, I could at least go to my local - and much cheaper! - garage and ask them to check a particular thing on the car.
This is not an automated signature - I type this after every post.

Last edited by Lyger; 22-03-2010 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Corrected typos.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Redman30
Old 22-03-2010, 3:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't suppose you could drop a link in here as to the info you've found? I have mk4 golf which does something very similar - no one's managed to find out what's causing it as yet. Oh, and I just normally drop the clutch and re start the engine while moving

/edit: googling it right now - could be interesting.

Last edited by Redman30; 22-03-2010 at 3:14 PM.
# 3
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 3:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well, I just googled 'peugeot 206 car engine cuts out when driving', and I came up with fun things like this:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/peugeotfault.php
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=27974

And the article from the BBC website...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4106437.stm

Some of the threads I've come across on my search are dated back as far as 2002.

I hope you have more luck than I in getting to the bottom of your problem! Looks like mine is going to be seriously expensive.
# 4
cyclonebri1
Old 22-03-2010, 3:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I can't advise you further on your problem except to state what you consider dangerous is the effect of driving a car without servo brake assistance, a luxury afforded to us elders back in the 70's.

Without it you simply press the pedal harder, ??
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
# 5
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonebri1 View Post
I can't advise you further on your problem except to state what you consider dangerous is the effect of driving a car without servo brake assistance, a luxury afforded to us elders back in the 70's.

Oh, the brakes aren't the problem when the engine cuts out (harder, yes, but they work). The problem is that the steering lock engages when I try to steer with no power going through the system. Only way to get it to un-engage is to get the engine started again - so I guess I'll just have to be ready to dip the clutch and try to restart if it happens again before Friday. Or I'll wuss out and get a lift into work.
# 6
cyclonebri1
Old 22-03-2010, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyger View Post
Oh, the brakes aren't the problem when the engine cuts out (harder, yes, but they work). The problem is that the steering lock engages when I try to steer with no power going through the system. Only way to get it to un-engage is to get the engine started again - so I guess I'll just have to be ready to dip the clutch and try to restart if it happens again before Friday. Or I'll wuss out and get a lift into work.

Wow, must be at pretty low speed tho'?

I didn't think the steering lock could engage with the ignition in the on position??

Anyone else add to this?

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyclonebri1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Wow, must be at pretty low speed tho'?

I didn't think the steering lock could engage with the ignition in the on position??

Anyone else add to this?
I really hope so! The steering lock engaged on the second time my engine cut out, so I was already being paranoid and taking it slow on the approach to the roundabout anyway. I'm hoping that it won't happen at higher speeds, but I'm somewhat nervous about testing the theory!
# 8
polgara
Old 22-03-2010, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had this problem with my beloved 206 - it took a new ECU and coil pack to resolve it, which was quite expensive (400+ I think, plus additional payment for some engine code that I hadn't been given when buying)...but I eventually got 112,000 miles from the car so consider that I got my money's worth from it.

It is a pain because Peugeot are very aware of the issue - in fact I completed a report that they were collating on all affected cars but don't believe it was resolved.
The Following User Says Thank You to polgara For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It's actually a relief to hear off someone who had the same problem and had it fixed - I've been reading so many scare stories on the internet about this, I was almost decided on throwing the baby out with the bath water and just part exchanging it for a new car.

How long ago was it when you had it fixed? The woman I spoke to at the Peugeot customer care was rather dismissive when I spoke to her, so I'm wondering if it's an issue that they still don't want to acknowledge.
# 10
polgara
Old 22-03-2010, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmmm - it was a 51 plate so would have been about 2004-2005 because it was out of warranty. Mine was a very intermittent fault - ie I could have a run of about 10 in a day and then nothing for months - always when slowing down for roundabouts. It got so I could feel it stopping and restart in seconds - its the first few that freak you out. It totally went on top of the M62 (at highest point) when the engine management light came on and didn't go off as it normally does just before it stalls, so I limped it to a garage and got it fixed.

This forum has lots of information available http://www.206info.co.uk/Forums/
The Following User Says Thank You to polgara For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Kilty
Old 22-03-2010, 8:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:

Having tried to move my car without the engine running (just rolling it back about a foot to let someone out of a driveway) the brakes were RIDICULOUSLY hard to use.... Can't imagine what it's like at speed.
# 12
Browntoa
Old 22-03-2010, 8:57 PM

used this guy to test an ecu

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

cost me 35 as he proved no fault (turned out to be 2nd lambda sensor in 8 months) but they will rebuild and reload original data so no new keys required
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Last edited by Browntoa; 22-03-2010 at 8:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Browntoa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Lyger
Old 22-03-2010, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just had a quick read through that forum. Really, a scary number of people have had this issue. It's unbelievable the number of things that could be causing it. Whoever programmed the silly fail safe of 'kill engine' needs a slap around the head.

I think I'll go ahead and get it checked out my the way overpriced dealership on Friday anyway, and then see what they say. If they want to charge me an arm and leg for fixing items that only *may* solve the issue, I may just go ahead and part exchange it. A shame, because I've only had the car just over a year, and before this issue flared up, I was really happy with it.
# 14
Lyger
Old 26-03-2010, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just a quick update - The dealership took my car today to check it out, and couldn't find anything too major. They've replaced my spark plugs (which were corroded) and cleaned up the wires on the electrics (which apparently had a build up of silicon). With the checks they did as well, it's left me 212 out of pocket - but I have been given the assurance that if the engine cuts out on me again, further checks ups and repairs will be carried out free of charge. They did tell me that because of the intermittence of the problem, it only *may* be fixed. Fingers crossed that it won't happen again, and if it does, Peugeot live up to their promise to fix it for free! Cos sheesh, 212 is expensive for a set of spark plugs.
# 15
zita
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Peugeot 206 intermittent fault

Hi everyone...

I bought my 206 Y reg about 6 months ago...had full service, brand new MOT and it was fine until it started having this problem...but it seems to be temperamental...some days its fine some not.

These are the symptoms:

> I will be driving along fine and suddenly the accelarator just loses power, the revs go down to zero and then engine cuts out. I turn the key and the engine starts up and the accelarator is back to normal as if nothing as happened.

> Some times randomly the car wont start...it takes about 6 attempts but then it starts and off i go absolutely fine.

> Some times again randomly im driving along and the engine just cuts out and the power steering goes...

> there are no lights coming on on the dash apart from when the engine cuts out and they all lit up

I took the car to the garage and had the fuel pump replaced, the coil changed but 3 days later we are back to the same problem. The mechanic seems to not get to the root of the problem and i just seem to be spending money replacing parts but the problem stays.

Please can anyone advise, as im getting scared of driving the dam thing as its not safe specially when it decides to cut out in the middle of a roundabout. Please feel free to share any ideas...thank you
# 16
cyclonebri1
Old 02-06-2011, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zita View Post
Hi everyone...

Please can anyone advise, as im getting scared of driving the dam thing as its not safe specially when it decides to cut out in the middle of a roundabout. Please feel free to share any ideas...thank you

Best advise is to start a new thread to be honest.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyclonebri1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
crispy_chris
Old 02-06-2011, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had this, changed what you mentioned about as well as a couple of sensors (MAP/MAF), none of it made a difference so after about 6 months of problems I got rid.

The times that my engine died was when I put my foot on the clutch, is it the same for you? Mine never died while in gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to crispy_chris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
zita
Old 08-06-2011, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy_chris View Post
I had this, changed what you mentioned about as well as a couple of sensors (MAP/MAF), none of it made a difference so after about 6 months of problems I got rid.

The times that my engine died was when I put my foot on the clutch, is it the same for you? Mine never died while in gear.
No mine dies at any time whenever it feel like it....
# 19
D.I.Y.man
Old 20-08-2011, 7:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Had this same problem with my 206, everything electrical switched off, I found that if you quickly turned the ignition key to the off position and then on again it would re-engage all electrics and engine. You do not need to dip the clutch. It is frightening the first time it happens. Luckily mine was still in its warranty, they fitted a coil pack and a CPU download and all is well now.
# 20
flang
Old 20-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zita View Post
Hi everyone...

I bought my 206 Y reg about 6 months ago...had full service, brand new MOT and it was fine until it started having this problem...but it seems to be temperamental...some days its fine some not.

These are the symptoms:

> I will be driving along fine and suddenly the accelarator just loses power, the revs go down to zero and then engine cuts out. I turn the key and the engine starts up and the accelarator is back to normal as if nothing as happened.

> Some times randomly the car wont start...it takes about 6 attempts but then it starts and off i go absolutely fine.

> Some times again randomly im driving along and the engine just cuts out and the power steering goes...

> there are no lights coming on on the dash apart from when the engine cuts out and they all lit up

I took the car to the garage and had the fuel pump replaced, the coil changed but 3 days later we are back to the same problem. The mechanic seems to not get to the root of the problem and i just seem to be spending money replacing parts but the problem stays.

I'm pretty damn sure this is caused by a faulty Manifold Air Pressure senor (MAP), Its an easy DIY to replace.