Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Problem With Dell Vostro 1000 - Won't Power Up (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Problem With Dell Vostro 1000 - Won't Power Up
Closed Thread
Views: 4,615
# 1
shanks84
Old 11-03-2010, 1:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Problem With Dell Vostro 1000 - Won't Power Up

Hi. I'm having trouble with my Dell Vostro 1000. It's just completely stopped powering up. It won't charge the battery or run off the AC. It turns on, but runs out of battery straight away (obviously!) because the batery doesnt charge. I opened it up, and noiced a circuit seems to have burnt?? Have a look:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4655/p1040420m.jpg

I take it that has something to do with it... What can I do? And how much is it likely to cost? Ring is the blown circuit, arrow is where the cable plugs in

Thanks

Last edited by shanks84; 11-03-2010 at 1:14 AM.
# 2
CPJames19
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks84 View Post
Hi. I'm having trouble with my Dell Vostro 1000. It's just completely stopped powering up. It won't charge the battery or run off the AC. It turns on, but runs out of battery straight away (obviously!) because the batery doesnt charge. I opened it up, and noiced a circuit seems to have burnt?? Have a look:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4655/p1040420m.jpg

I take it that has something to do with it... What can I do? And how much is it likely to cost? Ring is the blown circuit, arrow is where the cable plugs in

Thanks
Sounds to me that you need a new battery. You could buy on off ebay. I bought one of ebay when my battery stopped charging properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CPJames19 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PCease
Old 11-03-2010, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The image shows the fuse may have blown (the large rectangle component which has PC134 written next to it).

This probably need replacing.

To test the fuse use a multimeter. Set it to Ohms (200 ohms or using the speaker). Place a probe at each of the end of the fuse. if you hear a beep or see a value less than 1 ohm then the fuse is ok. Otherwise DONT PLUG YOUR POWER CABLE IN!

Why the fuse blew, maybe a bad power supply, power surge, dodgy battery? I would get this professionally looked at (but I would say that because I repair laptops!).

WHAT I SAY HERE YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEVER PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY OR MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. Laptops can break easily due to static so always take anti-static precautions.
The Following User Says Thank You to PCease For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
shanks84
Old 11-03-2010, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCease View Post
The image shows the fuse may have blown (the large rectangle component which has PC134 written next to it).

This probably need replacing.

To test the fuse use a multimeter. Set it to Ohms (200 ohms or using the speaker). Place a probe at each of the end of the fuse. if you hear a beep or see a value less than 1 ohm then the fuse is ok. Otherwise DONT PLUG YOUR POWER CABLE IN!

Why the fuse blew, maybe a bad power supply, power surge, dodgy battery? I would get this professionally looked at (but I would say that because I repair laptops!).

WHAT I SAY HERE YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEVER PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY OR MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. Laptops can break easily due to static so always take anti-static precautions.
Thanks. As someone who repairs laptops, how much would you charge for that?
# 5
PCease
Old 11-03-2010, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This type of repair falls under the DC Socket Repair (Silver Repair) at www.TheLaptopFixers.com.

This will probably get me told off for advertising.... if so, I will remove this message and apologise in advanced! I wasn't touting for business but offering good advice!
The Following User Says Thank You to PCease For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
shanks84
Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unbelievalby, I'm STILL looking to get this done! Anyone got any advice?
Closed Thread