Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dont_insure_with_rcib
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers
    • 10th Mar 10, 8:07 PM
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers 10th Mar 10 at 8:07 PM
    I will like to bring all those people searching for cheap car insurance to the attention of the sharp practices imposed by RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers.

My Experience today Wednesday 10/03/2010:
    After searching numerous price comparison sites for a cheap car insurance quote, I found RCIB to be the cheapest on both confused.com and gocompare so went on to buy car insurance from them online.

The price quoted on both sites was approx £960 and this was the amount I paid for when completing payment online. However once payment complete I got a call from RCIB to confirm the details I entered to get that quote. I was extremely shocked to hear the sales rep state that I had been quoted wrongly and the actual price for insuring with them is approx £1333 (38% increase). Hearing that I asked if he could refund the amount I paid (so i can get insured elsewhere) however his reply was that I would incur an administration fee for a refund even though they (RCIB) themselves were responsible for providing me with an incorrect quotation. Having argued my point for a full refund with the sales rep (at this point i started recording the phone call, contact me for a listen) I was put on hold for over half an hour then to be told the sales manager would be in contact with me in 10 minutes. I did get this call at 4.55pm and just as i was about to explain the whole scenario I was told by this man that he finishes work at 5pm so I would have to email him the details of the issue and he will respond tomorrow.

That was my experience of Right Choice Insurance Brokers (RCIB) so let this be a warning to you all and I wish no one to ever go through the same. I am now left not knowing whether my car is insured, out of pocket and having to hitch a ride home leaving my car in the work car park (in order to avoid 6 points which is the penalty for driving without insurance)

I will persue RCIB tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome of my issue.

Please do post any suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue and get a full refund or get RCIB to honour their initial quote for car insurance. Also would be interesting to know your experiences with this insurer.

Many thanks
Page 5
    • ishauk
    • By ishauk 8th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ishauk
    What Happened Next
    Almost same thing happened with me and they deducted 85 pounds without finalizing the insurance.DI u get your money back?
    • Peter Krsa
    • By Peter Krsa 28th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Peter Krsa
    Hi,
    I am going through the painful process of cancelling an insurance with them..horrible..
    We bought policy through them and 2-3months down the line a guy ram our stationary car in front our house and broke axle so he couldnt drive away. We claimed on his insurance and they salvaged the car not worth repairs. We got less 500 for it,lucky we got it cheap. So I called RCIB and told them about the accident that day. And that I would call in a week to cancel the insurance. After a week I called again they got it all mixed up and wanted me to pay still! Well after argument that we had about the insurance which we paid out upfront £ 1080 they said we had 3 months out coming to 4th now so a refund of £ 586 would be made. That we would be send email with 4 questions and after sending them back refund will be done in 30 days.! Well I thought ok. At least something. After 3 weeks they sent me text that I need to call them as the claim is ongoing. What? So I called 4th time 40 min calls to ask and explain over again when they told me that i have not notified the underwriter and the policy is running. I told them why havent you told me then? You are brokers for gods sake. So i called Aplha insurer explained all over and they said it would be 48 hours to let them know of the closure. I called a 3 days later and they told me they still didnt receive that. So i called end of week and they told me the insurer noted the claim ongoing..that i have to call 3rd party who rammed in our car to close the cas and notify our underwriter. I said what? They just streched the case so when u pass 5th month of the insurance no premium is paid out.. Out of £1080!!!! I already spent 5 times on the phone 40 minutes each with them as they pass me from one department to other!! Now i need to call underwriter and ask whats going on as we aparently got paid out for our car and it affects our insurance too. What a !!!!!!!!. I cant believe that they dont tell you and deal with your case if they are the bloody brokers..!! Just crap company..its a scam to insure through them.!!!
    • ChrisJames247
    • By ChrisJames247 13th Dec 16, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ChrisJames247
    Right Choice Insurance Brokers are a big scam! Did the same to me I used a comparison site - go compare so as far as I am concerned they are in on the scam too! Gave me a reasonable price - payed the deposit - rang me 10 minutes later saying the price was just a guide THIS IS AFTER THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY so when your money is tied up they know your just want insurance. I would have had to wait 10 days to get my money back and I need the car insuring on that day and they smarmy little call centre agent knew this!
    My Insurance had ended up costing me £500!! more than the quote.. Until I read this forum I thought it was a genuine mistake. RCIB SCAM ARTIST AT THEIR VERY BEST! and shame on GO COMPARE FOR ALLOWING AND AIDING THIS FRAUD! and the final price they gave still wasn't the final price they charge 20% extra if you pay monthly!

================================================== ===================================
    That’s fascinating why does RCIB give a final price after the deposit has been payed? I notice a lot of complaints on the Money Saving Expert forum about RCIB and the same happened to me you gave me a price so I payed a deposit and then received a call stating it could be more than quoted so I asked for my deposit back and you said it would be returned only after 10 days! But I needed insurance so I was forced to take the policy – would it not be better to give a final price then take the deposit like ALL the other insurance brokers? I understand tying up people’s money generates and forces sales but its not really ethical to pretend to give cheap quotes then put the price up.

So now your telling me yet again even after the price was bumped up already and when I asked your agent what I would be paying in total for this insurance policy paying monthly - the price he gave me wasn’t the total! So he lied to make it sound more attractive again! no mention of an extra 20% was ever mentioned in any call or in any letters.

When I was on the phone and you had just tricked me into paying a deposit I wouldn’t have agreed to paying 1700+ when other reputable insurance companies offered far far better deals than the one I ended up with from RCIB. the one you offered initially was just to trick me to tie my money up and force me to take a more expensive policy because you had my money, the money that I needed for a deposit for car insurance.

What horrible business ethics RCIB have
    ================================================== ===================================

lets see what they say to that
    Last edited by ChrisJames247; 13-12-2016 at 1:00 PM. Reason: add some details ...
    • AnotherSteve
    • By AnotherSteve 19th Dec 16, 10:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnotherSteve
    Auto Aid now part of RCIB so beware
    Reading numerous negative reviews here and Auto Aid breakdown now being part of RCIB I would avoid both - Joined Auto Aid online 3 weeks ago (on MSE recommendation) unable to get any confirmation of cover from them, even following chase up phone call, so as far as I know, they have just stolen my £42.
    • colin107
    • By colin107 22nd Dec 16, 9:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    colin107
    RCIB cheap and very nasty
    We get what we pay for - cheaper insurance means cheap service, deception and lots of hassle in the long run. Buyers beware. I'm currently struggling to get a proper renewal notice from them, with my considerable NCD. I've called them, as requested, only to be kept waiting and given up after twenty minutes. Also, no response to my email, which they requested I send. Seems like they do not want to risk my using MY NCD with another insurer.
    • colin107
    • By colin107 22nd Dec 16, 9:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    colin107
    Dreadful company.
    • innovation2020
    • By innovation2020 27th Jan 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    innovation2020
    RCIB Complaints Department is Great!
    Hi guys,

I do not usually post things and actually this is my first post on this forum. I wanted to share the experience I had with RCIB. Before I start, I want to thank to the complaints department of RCIB insurance!!! I am sure many of these people on this forum did not talk to them and if they did they would resolved their problem. I even would like to mention their names but apparently it is against the forum rules.

I had an insurance like many of the guys mentioned on this forum finding them over comparison website putting my details and then them being the cheapest insurance provider. I did not buy the insurance as many did but I called them after having the reference code on the comparison website. As again many mentioned here, the quote I got went up when I talked to the adviser on the phone from roughly £950 to £1050 (they were still the cheapest). The adviser on the phone asked me numerous questions and we had a deal for £1050 and I agreed with the deal then they said they will ask for documents from me by email. Anyways, shortly after sending my documents back to them and calling them they noticed that I lived abroad for more than two years (this part came out when I called them again) and said we will have to cancel your insurance and charge me the cancellation fee or they need to transfer me over to another insurance company (the second insurance company charges £2000!!!). After talking to the adviser who is in the sales department I refused this deal and I wanted to talk to the complaints department as I remembered saying in the first time that I lived abroad for more than two years and if they accept my two years bonus abroad. Well apparently they don't and I found out the hard way that NCB expires after two years (well this is my mistake, it is apparently all over the place). There are some companies who accepts NCB that is older than 2 years (must be within 3 years) and also again there are some insurance companies who accepts customers who lived abroad for more than 2 years.

Anyways I have to tell you guys; everything has changed after I started talking to the complaints department. The manager and also the adviser of the complaint department was so awesomely helpful that it seemed to me that I suddenly was talking to some other types of people on this planet who are ready to help you and who are ready to resolve your problem. I talked to them twice and they listened my previous call with the previous adviser I had (I paid £10 for my call to be listened) and they got back to me that I did mention saying I lived last two years abroad. Even though I did not mention exactly when I left the UK and returned the the UK, the gentlemen in the complaints department said that the adviser himself should have picked up from that point and asked me the follow up question clarifying the exact dates. Finally, they did not charge me anything additional and transferred me to another company who accepts my conditions as RCIB could not insure me under their rules and regulations.

Based on my experience I have two suggestions to everyone:

1) You can go with RCIB and I think there is nothing wrong with them BUT do not pay right away on the comparison website! Call them with the reference number for the quotation you got and get the final quotation on the phone and then pay if you are happy with their quote.

2) If you are already in some sort of problem and you think you are right, do not waste your time with advisers that are in other departments as surely they have some other priorities rather than having happy customers! Call the complaints department, pay that £10 and you will see that your issue will be resolved. Again, I wish I could mention the name of advisers! Even the way they talk to you on the phone is much different and better compared to those other advisers.

And also one suggestion to the top managers of RCIB:

Let the complaints to be handled by the complaints department if you want happy customers. Have a simple process that such customers talk to the complaint departments directly! There must be a simple flow chart where such customers should be directed to the complaints department who are kinder and much better to handle the issues.

Thank you guys, and I hope this helps!

All the best.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 27th Jan 17, 9:56 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    Hi guys,

I do not usually post things and actually this is my first post on this forum. I wanted to share the experience I had with RCIB. Before I start, I want to thank to the complaints department of RCIB insurance!!! I am sure many of these people on this forum did not talk to them and if they did they would resolved their problem. I even would like to mention their names but apparently it is against the forum rules.

I had an insurance like many of the guys mentioned on this forum finding them over comparison website putting my details and then them being the cheapest insurance provider. I did not buy the insurance as many did but I called them after having the reference code on the comparison website. As again many mentioned here, the quote I got went up when I talked to the adviser on the phone from roughly £950 to £1050 (they were still the cheapest). The adviser on the phone asked me numerous questions and we had a deal for £1050 and I agreed with the deal then they said they will ask for documents from me by email. Anyways, shortly after sending my documents back to them and calling them they noticed that I lived abroad for more than two years (this part came out when I called them again) and said we will have to cancel your insurance and charge me the cancellation fee or they need to transfer me over to another insurance company (the second insurance company charges £2000!!!). After talking to the adviser who is in the sales department I refused this deal and I wanted to talk to the complaints department as I remembered saying in the first time that I lived abroad for more than two years and if they accept my two years bonus abroad. Well apparently they don't and I found out the hard way that NCB expires after two years (well this is my mistake, it is apparently all over the place). There are some companies who accepts NCB that is older than 2 years (must be within 3 years) and also again there are some insurance companies who accepts customers who lived abroad for more than 2 years.

Anyways I have to tell you guys; everything has changed after I started talking to the complaints department. The manager and also the adviser of the complaint department was so awesomely helpful that it seemed to me that I suddenly was talking to some other types of people on this planet who are ready to help you and who are ready to resolve your problem. I talked to them twice and they listened my previous call with the previous adviser I had (I paid £10 for my call to be listened) and they got back to me that I did mention saying I lived last two years abroad. Even though I did not mention exactly when I left the UK and returned the the UK, the gentlemen in the complaints department said that the adviser himself should have picked up from that point and asked me the follow up question clarifying the exact dates. Finally, they did not charge me anything additional and transferred me to another company who accepts my conditions as RCIB could not insure me under their rules and regulations.

Based on my experience I have two suggestions to everyone:

1) You can go with RCIB and I think there is nothing wrong with them BUT do not pay right away on the comparison website! Call them with the reference number for the quotation you got and get the final quotation on the phone and then pay if you are happy with their quote.

2) If you are already in some sort of problem and you think you are right, do not waste your time with advisers that are in other departments as surely they have some other priorities rather than having happy customers! Call the complaints department, pay that £10 and you will see that your issue will be resolved. Again, I wish I could mention the name of advisers! Even the way they talk to you on the phone is much different and better compared to those other advisers.

And also one suggestion to the top managers of RCIB:

Let the complaints to be handled by the complaints department if you want happy customers. Have a simple process that such customers talk to the complaint departments directly! There must be a simple flow chart where such customers should be directed to the complaints department who are kinder and much better to handle the issues.

Thank you guys, and I hope this helps!

All the best.
    Originally posted by innovation2020
    Why on earth would you pay them £10 to listen to a call?

They can charge you (Upto) £10 under the data protection laws for them to release every piece of data they have on you.

For them to charge you £10 to listen to a call is them just rinsing you for more money. I assume they did not refund the £10 as well.

I'm not even sure they would be allowed to in effect charge you £10 to make an Official Complaint as this process is very heavily regulated and designed to have nothing in the way to disuade a customer from making a complaint.

I recommend that anyone in a similar position whom RCIB have charged £10 to advise the FCA who should be very interested in this
    • GazBee
    • By GazBee 16th Feb 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GazBee
    RCIB Car Insurance
    I too am having big trouble with this company. Like others I was looking for favourable Car insurance and after looking at the GO-COMPERE site I saw that RCIB had the cheapest quote. Anyway, after looking at the deal I thought that would be the right one for me. I followed RCIB's instructions and they asked for the first payment which was £84.14p,which I gladly paid using my bank debit card, But,like others I also got a phone call from them saying that I could not have the insurance due to the fact I had just bought another car. They came back with a much higher quote which I refused. I asked as to when I would receive a refund of the £84.14 as they had declined my payment. They informed me that the payment would return to my account in a matter of days. It sounded a bit weird to me, so I waited a few days and was still waiting for the money,but to no avail, so I phoned them up, they said the money was in a holding account ready to be transferred and it was down to my bank. Now, these phone calls went on and on. My bank informed me that they had not received anything from them. So I went back to the bank and also phoned them. Boy it was difficult I was sent from pillar to post by RCIB,some said the money was sent some said it wasn't. My bank spoke to them saying the problem was with RCIB, then a girl told me that they had found the mistake and realised the money had NOT been transferred. In the end I got so fed up I asked to speak to somebody higher than them. I was passed to a manager by the name of Gary he looked at the details and said that the refund process had taken place while I was in the bank that day. He gave me a reference number and sent an email saying what had been done [ this was the first time I received an email from them confirming the refund]. As I write this I am waiting to see if I receive my money back. RCIB have made a lot of interest on my money and it should be easy for them to give any refund that is due BUT THEY DON'T. I will post more if and when I receive my money.This company is useless and so is their other company PINK POUND which apparently is designed for the Gay section of our community. So if your Gay or straight don't touch these with a barge -pole.
    Last edited by GazBee; 16-02-2017 at 4:37 PM. Reason: wrong spellings
    • GazBee
    • By GazBee 17th Feb 17, 4:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GazBee
    Rcib
    GUESS WHAT PEOPLE......I have just got my money back form RCIB,it was a very nerve racking journey which lasted a full week but I can finely breath and put the sedatives back in the medicine box. I would recommend that if any insurance company ask you for up front money before speaking to them first AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. I am now with Hastings Direct and had no problems at all. RCIB and their subsidiary PINK POUND are not worth the risk, as they informed me they have only been going for seven years,they have much to learn. But it is us the customers that are suffering. All we what is to drive our vehicles as cheaply as possible, unfortunately RCIB do not give you that option.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 17th Feb 17, 9:41 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Well good luck but Hastings Direct aren't exactly angels either.
    • Laura74
    • By Laura74 6th May 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Laura74
    Can't believe 6 years after the original post, the same happened to me.
    I attempted to arrange car insurance for my son via USwitch and was directed to Right Choice Insurance Brokers website where I thought I had purchased a policy. I provided my credit card details for payment of £358.60 and set up a direct debit via my son's account. Unfortunately, my son received a telephone call demanding more money and he said no.

The problem is that Right Choice had taken the liberty of deducting the payment from my account and when I tried to have that immediately refunded, I was told a series of untruths. I asked to speak to a complaints advisor and was directed to the individual who had initially called asking for more money (a sales advisor). This individual then told me that the company could not return my money because they didn't have it and I should contact my card provider.

My card provider was shocked that I would be told this and confirmed that Right Choice did have the money by providing an authorisation code. I then contacted the company again and asked to speak to a senior manager (on the advice of my card provider). I was put on hold for a very long time and eventually transferred to an individual who identified themselves as a Sales Advisor. I refused to speak to him about my issue and was put on hold again before being put through to a manager. The manager then confirmed that he could cancel the payment.

I have had to spend the majority of my day begging for my own money for a service that was a) misrepresented in terms of monetary value and b) not even purchased. In addition, I have no doubt the staff of Right Choice have deliberately misled me during the course of the day.

RCIB provided a false quote, despite having all the relevant proposer's information at their disposal. They will then effectively steal your money and undoubtedly accrue interest while it resides in their account. I have used other comparison websites in the past and have never encountered such blatant disregard for the right of the consumer or indeed a sense of entitlement to money which they have no right to collect.

I sent an email of complaint which prompted an email from Right Choice 20 minutes later 'confirming a refund'........I still haven't received my money. AVOID!!
    • Debbie Sales
    • By Debbie Sales 3rd Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Debbie Sales
    Don't use them , tactical up charging
    deliberate ploy to ask for more fees once insurance is running , so they still charge additional fee if you cancel.
    The insurance was for a moped, they phoned me back after the 14 days and informed me I had been in accident ,
    "what! No I haven't "we'll it turns out that this includes if some one hits your car when your not even in it and the damage is claimed on the person insurance who drove into my car ?
    Can you believe that they charged me additional £38 !!
    I am sure this is a deliberate act by this insurance company and I can't believe it's valid, but hey they got me ,and as a consequence they wont have me as a customer ever again.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 32,083 Posts
    • 16,169 Thanks
    Quentin
    deliberate ploy to ask for more fees once insurance is running , so they still charge additional fee if you cancel.
    The insurance was for a moped, they phoned me back after the 14 days and informed me I had been in accident ,
    "what! No I haven't "we'll it turns out that this includes if some one hits your car when your not even in it and the damage is claimed on the person insurance who drove into my car ?
    Can you believe that they charged me additional £38 !!
    I am sure this is a deliberate act by this insurance company and I can't believe it's valid, but hey they got me ,and as a consequence they wont have me as a customer ever again.
    Originally posted by Debbie Sales
    All insurers would have acted like this if you inadvertently made a mistake on your application and ended up paying less than you should have done.

Had they taken the other view that you lied deliberately about your history then you would now have a cancelled policy on your record which is very bad news!
    • amazonf169
    • By amazonf169 30th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amazonf169
    Rcib
    Having read a lot of these complaints, i am astounded that nothing has been done to stop these scamming scumbags.
    i have fallen foul to them today through so called GO COMPARE.
    Does anyone have a way forward to stop these thieves?
    • cherbear87
    • By cherbear87 10th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cherbear87
    Hi

I had the same experience as the above so I contacted the financial ombudsmen.

It has now been 2 weeks and my credit card hasn't been credited.

I was lied to by 3 advisors before a manager copied me in on an email which he described as a 'fax refund' the money is only held not actually given to the company - apparently. I'm having to give it 28 days to await a response.

called again today to chase them and they were dismissive and in helpful. aid they listen to the calls and get back to me o n why I was mislead. not happy but thanks to this forum and reading the warnings I was armed when they tried to double my policy.
    • marina1111
    • By marina1111 10th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marina1111
    First qoute was a little bit more that £1000/year, then they increase it to £1825 with all fees, they said I have to pay £314.70 deposit and then 8 payments for £181.24.
    But! when I got the agreement, I could see that I have to make 10 payments (instead of 8) for £188.44 (instead of £181.24). I'm very disappointed and will never use this company for car insurance.
    Be careful, read your agreement before sign it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,109Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin