Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 25th Jul 06, 9:40 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:40 AM
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:40 AM
    I've had to obtain a Bank Cheque on a couple of occasions from smile. When I 'phoned to order it they advised it could take up to three working days (might have been 2 but can't remember exactly!). Both times the cheque did arrive the following day.
    You probably are aware but there is usually a charge for the cheque issue.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 25th Jul 06, 9:45 AM
    • 85,111 Posts
    • 50,130 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:45 AM
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:45 AM
    Mine (LTSB) takes about 10 minutes for a bankers cheque and about 20 minutes for a bankers draft. Do note that a bankers cheque and bankers draft are two different things.

No notice required although you can speed up the process if you ring in advance as they can get the cheque ready for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Mark7799
    • By Mark7799 25th Jul 06, 11:53 AM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    Mark7799
    • 25th Jul 06, 11:53 AM
    • 25th Jul 06, 11:53 AM
    I've been asked for 24 hours' notice before but I think that's largely because if you walk into a branch in a lunch hour they may not be enough authorised people to sign/prepare it. I've given that notice on the phone and walked in to collect it without any problems - maybe you can get a sameday service?
    • Sillychuckie
    • By Sillychuckie 25th Jul 06, 8:49 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Sillychuckie
    • 25th Jul 06, 8:49 PM
    • 25th Jul 06, 8:49 PM
    A&L wont do it in the branch. you have to call their head office and they'll post you one. Ridiculous really.
    they charge a tenner, and send it first class (24 hr delivery).
    I guess it varies with each bank.
    • virgin_moneysaver
    • By virgin_moneysaver 25th Jul 06, 9:51 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    virgin_moneysaver
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:51 PM
    • 25th Jul 06, 9:51 PM
    customers can ask for one without notice, it takes about 10 mins to make up - either welcome to wait or very often they call back - just be aware that if its a large sum (ie over £1k) then you'll need secondary Id, the usual being driving licence or passport
  • regularsaver1
    • 25th Jul 06, 10:08 PM
    • 25th Jul 06, 10:08 PM
    if the cheque is of a larger amount - i'd recommend taking extra identification with you

and please do not be offended if you are asked what the funds are for - most have to ask to comply with anti money laundering regulations
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 26th Jul 06, 3:41 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 26th Jul 06, 3:41 PM
    • 26th Jul 06, 3:41 PM
    if the cheque is of a larger amount - i'd recommend taking extra identification with you

and please do not be offended if you are asked what the funds are for - most have to ask to comply with anti money laundering regulations
    by regularsaver1
    And replies to avoid probably include 'to pay off my drug dealer' and 'actually the money was just 'resting' in my account and I want clean funds back'

Seriously - for most people it would be either a house or a car wouldn't it? Or if you were doing something dodgy, you'd say it was anyway? One day I'm going to turn to crime and will be successful as I'll apply common sense to it!
  • regularsaver1
    • 26th Jul 06, 5:55 PM
    • 26th Jul 06, 5:55 PM
    well they have to ask - what a customer says in reply is up to them - but extra id and security questions will often
    be needed

also if the account the cheque is being drawn on recently had a large credit then questions are most likely to be asked about that

i haven't been a cashier for a good few years - but i had to ask this and i know the cashiers do now too
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 26th Jul 06, 9:08 PM
    • 10,280 Posts
    • 4,687 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    I need to get a banker's draft to pay for deposit on my house and legal fees.
    by huglebear
    Trust that's how your Solicitor has asked for it?? May be a Banker's Draft and therefore 'guaranteed' - but he / she still has to clear it before it becomes 'liquid' funds.

Using CHAPS is quicker / cleaner / safer / 'liquid' .....albeit a bit more expensive. See other previous threads on Drafts that have gone AWOL.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • username1986
    banker draft
    hell there, i need to arrange a bankers draft to pay my letting agent but i only have the id listen below:
    my bank card
    my exspire passport (photographic)
    work id (photographic) with my name and payrole number
    statesments from my bank
    other cards with my name on
    council tax documentation with my name on
    corrispondants from the letting agents to whom i need to wright the draft out to addressed to me.
    eveidently i will be able to answerany security questions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,017Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter