IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
A natural pick me up remedy
Closed Thread
Views: 3,685
# 1
Bubby
Old 08-03-2010, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default A natural pick me up remedy

Has anyone got any tips for a natural pick me up when you are feeling poorly?

Have just finished antibiotics for 2 severe ear infections and have been told that it could be weeks to heal up.....add to that I now have a very sore throat (all part and parcel of the ear infection apparently) and have conjunctivitus in 2 eyes (yes I am completely falling apart) and I am taking the recommended pain relief but any vitamins or natural remedies that could help me as I feel pretty wiped out

(not after any medical advice as I have already been seen by the doctor and given relevent meds and medical advice)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
xxvickixx
Old 08-03-2010, 4:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Most importantly I would make sure you have a healthy balanced diet, plenty of water and lots of rest. As simple as it sounds it can often be all you need.
Hope you're feeling better soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxvickixx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
NualaBuala
Old 08-03-2010, 4:36 PM

You poor thing, hope you'll be ok soon!

People usually feel rotten after antibiotics cos they kill off your "good" bacteria. So a probiotic (preferably with prebiotics) supplement from the pharmacy would help with this and is good for your immune system in general. Or probiotic yoghurts (but the supplements are better).

Try to avoid the bad stuff (refined carbs etc), lots of the good stuff (veggies, fruit, water, lean protein, wholegrains, healthy oils), and a bit of gentle exercise. Plenty of rest is important too as vicki says. If you don't eat healthily you could consider a multivitamin/mineral for a few months.
Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 DFW Nerd #1185
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NualaBuala For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Bubby
Old 08-03-2010, 5:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did manage to get some of those yoghurt drinks with probiotic in them so hopefully that should help. I am used to the throat infections I usually get at least one per month but these ear infections are something else

I am trying to rest, at the weekend my husband is at home to help but unfortunately during the week I am on my own with school runs etc and believe me when I say I am literally dragging myself to the school gates where I have no energy and am in so much pain
# 5
NualaBuala
Old 08-03-2010, 5:06 PM

Sounds horrible Bubby. I think you should listen to you body - which seems to be saying, stop making me do things, I need to rest! Easier said than done I know. If the yoghurts don't help, have a chat with your pharmacist, will save you another trip to the Dr! Take care of yourself.
Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 DFW Nerd #1185
The Following User Says Thank You to NualaBuala For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Bubby
Old 08-03-2010, 6:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know I do need to rest up for a few days but if I don't take the children to school they won't get there so it is a catch 22 situation. I have no problem keep going back to the doctors and in fact they were as baffled as me to see that when I went back the infection in my ears were still there but we have drops now and pure codeine for the pain (evil stuff - makes me sick) so I will see how I go for the next few days. They did say that ear infections can take a few weeks to heal up

In terms of a balanced diet what does this mean? I am thinking fruit and veg protein and carbs no extras?
# 7
Quintus
Old 08-03-2010, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There's no quick fix or any miracle "extras" I'm afraid. Diet and good fluid intake is very important. Apart from that, it really is rest and waiting for your body to heal. Its not terribly exciting, but you've got to give it some time.

Hope you're back up to strength again soon.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quintus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Bubby
Old 08-03-2010, 7:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was hoping for a quick fix wasn't I

What foods would you include (i.e alot of vit c?)
# 9
xxvickixx
Old 08-03-2010, 9:42 PM

Hi Bubby,
I'm not a nutritionalist and there are a lot of different schools of thought as to what constitutes a "heathly diet" but for what it's worth I would say it is:

At least 5 portions of fruit and veg (actually it should me more like 10) a lot of people don't know what a portion is so an idea is to do some research online of your favourits and pin a list to your fridge so you know and get a feel for how much you should eat. If you aim to eat a "rainbow" of different colours and try and mix it up a bit you should get all of your vitamins and minerals.

Protein is important as it helps you grow and your body to repair itself. Not all needs to be animal protein, lentils, pulses and oats etc are all great too. Try not to eat too much red meat.

Try to avoid processed foods where you can

When you eat carbohydrates it is better to choose whole grains and complex carbs, choose brown over white as a rule. Brown rice, bread, pasta are generally better for you.

Obviously there are other things to consider such as getting fresh air and exposure to sunlight and dairy or other calcium sources are also important.

There are supplements you can take to give you a boost but they will do little if you don't have the basics in place.

I appreciate that you need to do the school run but can you get some rest while they're at school at all?
The Following User Says Thank You to xxvickixx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
thevicster
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon! I had a ear and eye infection a while ago and they really are evil (I looked like I'd been punched in the face as it was so swollen and my eye was blood red!). I should treat yourself to a bit of choc (70% cocoa of course for the health benefits - if you can taste it of course). Maybe try some Beroca or a cheaper alternative? Might give you a bit of a lift? Hope you feel better soon
You either love me or hate me or don't really care - Banksy
I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul, I want you to notice when I'm not around
No Toiletries Challenge 2011: Spent in March - too much
The Following User Says Thank You to thevicster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Bronnie
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Can you use this to help you check you're getting enough iron in your diet? Iron defficiency can cause tiredness and lethargy.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/irondeficiency/

As a general note, there is a note in this link on how higher tea and coffee intake can hinder the body in absorbing iron from food.

HTH

Last edited by Bronnie; 09-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Bubby
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for all the helpful tips

I have always liked my sleep but since having children my immune system has taken a complete battering, it doesn't help that before having children I was always slim and am now overweight. This adds to me feeling tired and I am sure that the lack of sunshine (from being in the house) also adds to my picking up every bug going. My eldest seems very similar in that she will pick up lots of colds etc but has always been like it as a baby and does have certain allergies which makes it worse.

I put alot of effort into making sure they don't eat too many sweets and making sure they eat lots of fruit and veg and are generally healthy but obviously don't put the same effort into myself

For me I need a kick up the rear and I know alot of people wouldn't like this but I would actually like the doctos to tell me to lose weight as it would be the push I needed
# 13
claireac
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sounds horrible and I know how you feel. I always used to get tonsilitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis etc when I got run down.

I know a lot of people on here don't rate "alternative" medicines - but I do! I take echinacea drops to boost my immune system, and if my diet hasn't been great then I'll also take vitamin c and zinc.

Of course you should be eating a healthy diet and getting lots of different fruits and veges.

Hope you feel better soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to claireac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Bubby
Old 09-03-2010, 6:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Any tips for treating the really sore throat I now have been left with?
Finding it difficult to even drink
# 15
melymay
Old 09-03-2010, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ginger tea works for me if you have that queasy feeling from antibiotics . .and is a bit numbing for the throat at the same time . .just grate or chop some ginger in boiling water and leave for a bit. . add bit of honey ifd you don't want it so spicey ! HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to melymay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Bubby
Old 09-03-2010, 7:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not queasy (sp) just got glands up and really really sore throat. I did mention to doc last week as it was just starting as I was finishing antibiotics but he couldn't really be bothered to have a look and said its all part and parcel of the ear infection

I know it will pass eventually and it is more than likely a virus so I wouldn't need antibiotics but I am really feeling like I have had enough and it is making me feel very depressed
# 17
babyshoes
Old 09-03-2010, 8:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sounds awful Bubby! Seems like you need lots of rest, as far as possible. Could the kids stay with a friend for a couple of days perhaps?

Honey is great for sore throats, and even if it is difficult to drink, keep your liquid intake up! Peppermint tea is also good for queasiness, and with a bit of honey is quite soothing for your throat. Honey and lemon is a good old fashioned standby, and with a bit of ginger in it can help too. Almost any hot, non-dairy drink (teas, hot cordial, soup, bovril etc) will help. Juice is good too, as well as good old plain water.

Ear infections are the pits, I know! If your eustation tubes (that drain the middle ear into the throat) are blocked, you can ask the doc for a general decongestant and/or a nasal spray to help that, and also try the old trick of breathing steam with a bit of vicks/olbas in the water.

I also agree with lots of pro-biotics after anti-biotics, but if you are 'snotty' then take the supplements rather than eating yoghurt, as the dairy tends to increase mucus production and could make you more bunged up.

When I feel really grotty, run down and tired, a 'berocca' type supplement with B vitamins usually helps - especially the fizzy ones rather than tablets, for some reason.

Some people swear by echinacea. I think it does help your immune system a bit, though not as much as is claimed. Could be worth a try, at least. I once got some lozenges with it in from Holland and Barret, and those were quite soothing for the sore throat.
The Following User Says Thank You to babyshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
Old 09-03-2010, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I really feel for you as I'm prone to ear/throat infections when run down.

Lots of immune system boosting things like garlic, ginger, vitamin c. Echinacea supplements help some people. Lots of zinc and iron. I like to eat stir fried spinach and other green leafy things when run down.

Honey is a natural antiseptic, so I make ginger/honey tea when my throat is playing up.

Just made a stir fry with ginger, garlic, fresh chilli, spring onions, couple of heads of Pak Choi chopped up, oyster mushrooms. Slug of Oyster sauce and serve with jasmine rice. That'll sort you out!
The Following User Says Thank You to RightyTightyLeftyLoosey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
xxvickixx
Old 09-03-2010, 8:47 PM

Try gargling with warm salt water, steam inhalation can help, and up your fluid intake. U=If it's getting worse or lasts more than a few days go back to your GP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxvickixx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Bubby
Old 09-03-2010, 9:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the tips I am going to pop into my local health food shop tomorrow and see if I can dose myself up. I have gone through bottles of honey as I always use that with lemon first. I will speak to the pharmacist aswell although they always seem reluctant to help and just refer me back to the doc (who is well aware of my throat but unable to help)

Heres hoping that I will be recovered for my holiday in a few weeks
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread