Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tartanmax
    Best Gas and Electric for an over 65 on pension credit?
    • 4th Mar 10, 11:22 AM
    Best Gas and Electric for an over 65 on pension credit? 4th Mar 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hello,

My dad is moving in a weeks time and I'm in charge of sorting out all the utilities :-s

He's currently using B/G essentials tariff for his London 1 bed home which is a change of £65 a month DD.

He's moving to a 2 bed bungelow in Co Durham which is currently supplied by N-power on a standard tariff for dual fuel, now know that this isn't the best deal for him , I've just switched myself but since he's moving i thought i'd compare deals from B/G while we're at it.

Does anyone know if the social tariffs are actually cheaper at the minute compared to the online ones and such like, or if i'm better looking at tariffs specifically for people over 65 on benefits ?
    Can i compare social tariffs online?

Any help would be great as I'm lost in a sea of numbers at the minute!

Thank you
Page 1
  • KimYeovil
    • 4th Mar 10, 2:05 PM
    • 4th Mar 10, 2:05 PM
    The British Gas Essentials tariff will not be particularly cheap (won't be excessively expensive, though.)

Is there any particular reason you can't just use the comparison sites and choose the cheapest online direct debit tariff? That will likely be cheaper than any social tariff.
    • markharding557
    • By markharding557 4th Mar 10, 2:25 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    markharding557
    • 4th Mar 10, 2:25 PM
    • 4th Mar 10, 2:25 PM
    over 65 on benefits
    Shouldn't he be on the old age pension?and he should get the heating allowance which will cover a chunk of his energy bill.
    He will have to spend more than 10% of his income on energy or be on means tested benefits to qualify for social tariffs.
    I don't know how this applies to pensions or pension credits.
    Last edited by markharding557; 04-03-2010 at 2:30 PM.
  • kjsmith7
    • 4th Mar 10, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 10, 5:09 PM
    If I was you, I would look at unit rates. You don't know how much he will be using in the new property, obviously, but look at unit rates to see what will be the cheapest?

British Gas Essentials Tariff is what my nana is on - works out as the cheapest rate she can get as she doesn't have a computer and doesn't want me to print her bills out for her I'd phone them up and get the rates and compare them to other companies.
  • KimYeovil
    • 4th Mar 10, 9:50 PM
    • 4th Mar 10, 9:50 PM
    If I was you, I would look at unit rates. You don't know how much he will be using in the new property, obviously, but look at unit rates to see what will be the cheapest?

British Gas Essentials Tariff is what my nana is on - works out as the cheapest rate she can get as she doesn't have a computer and doesn't want me to print her bills out for her I'd phone them up and get the rates and compare them to other companies.
    Originally posted by kjsmith7
    Crazy, patronising, ageist nonsense.
  • kjsmith7
    • 4th Mar 10, 10:40 PM
    • 4th Mar 10, 10:40 PM
    Crazy, patronising, ageist nonsense.
    Originally posted by KimYeovil
    Not nonsense - she has chosen not to have a computer. My grandfather on the other side has a computer. I wasn't trying to make a generalisation, be patronising or ageist. I was merely stating a fact - my nana doesn't have a computer, so therefore cannot get an online tariff, and so Essentials has worked out cheaper for her.
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 5th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Bark01
    • 5th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    • 5th Mar 10, 9:00 AM
    Is there any particular reason you can't just use the comparison sites and choose the cheapest online direct debit tariff? That will likely be cheaper than any social tariff.
    Originally posted by KimYeovil
    A social tariff has to be the cheapest tariff availble or else it can not be called a social tariff. I believe this rule can be breached once each year i.e. a supplier can release one product that is chepaer than its social tariff in each calander year.

It can however be of limited availability.

On another note...

I was under the impression the BG Essentials was closed to new customers and had been for sometime. S&SE's Energyplus Care is generally the cheapest around, its standing charge only but offers around 20% discount from the standing charge and around 33% of the unit rates. No other supplier comes close to offering this level of discount
    Last edited by Bark01; 05-03-2010 at 9:05 AM.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 5th Mar 10, 11:21 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 5th Mar 10, 11:21 AM
    • 5th Mar 10, 11:21 AM
    Scottish and Southern have now changed the conditions of their Energyplus Care Tariff. It was 10% of your total income initially, but now it is 15% of your total income which you have to spend on your fuel bills to be eligible. Also, the fact that you have health problems etc doesn't factor either, whereas before it did. For anyone that is coming off Energyplus care, they will offer a £50 rebate at the end of April to help with your fuel bills but only if you are no longer eligible for Energyplus Care which is their social tariff. You also get 5% discount if you pay by Direct Debit.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • kjsmith7
    • 5th Mar 10, 6:20 PM
    • 5th Mar 10, 6:20 PM
    I was under the impression the BG Essentials was closed to new customers and had been for sometime.
    Originally posted by Bark01
    I just checked the web site and it appears it is open again? http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy/our-products/essentials-programme.html
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 5th Mar 10, 10:38 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    Joyful
    Originally posted by kjsmith7
    It was reopened in June 2009 but with different criteria than before.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • markharding557
    • By markharding557 6th Mar 10, 3:18 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    markharding557
    A social tariff has to be the cheapest tariff availble or else it can not be called a social tariff. I believe this rule can be breached once each year i.e. a supplier can release one product that is chepaer than its social tariff in each calander year.

It can however be of limited availability.

On another note...

I was under the impression the BG Essentials was closed to new customers and had been for sometime. S&SE's Energyplus Care is generally the cheapest around, its standing charge only but offers around 20% discount from the standing charge and around 33% of the unit rates. No other supplier comes close to offering this level of discount
    Originally posted by Bark01
    This is actually correct.
    http://www.energychoices.co.uk/social-tariffs.html
    Last edited by markharding557; 06-03-2010 at 3:22 PM. Reason: correction
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 6th Mar 10, 3:22 PM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    HI, I can't really be any help re the tarrifs but can you check he has plenty of the new light bulbs, and his insulation is ok?
    Barney is my border collie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,839Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter