Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jorainbow
    One Call Insurance
    • 3rd Mar 10, 7:39 AM
    One Call Insurance 3rd Mar 10 at 7:39 AM
    I would appreciate it if anyone can assist here with some advice please! I have been with One Call for my car insurance since October. After a mess up with my direct debits and the receipt of a 7 day cancellation notice as they went into my bank on the wrong day, I eventually got this sorted - minus an apology of course! I am now buying a new car so called yesterday to transfer the insurance across bridging it for a couple of days until my new cover note arrived. The car is older and a smaller engine so in previous experience this would mean cheaper insurance and having had a quick look, I would be saving over £100 on my existing car insurance. Simple?? No - after getting through to a very inexperienced chap who was purely passing messages from his manager, it transpires that it would cost me the same plus £99. The cancellation fee? 55% of my current annual premium as I have been with them over six months (did put him right on this one!) So its either cancel and pay the fee or pay £99 and what can only be described as an extortionate price for a small little old car. The insurance company is Zurich. Can anyone see a way of sorting this with minimal expense? I used to be with M&S insurance and any changes like this were so easy! Thanks in advnce Jo
Page 11
    • hjj
    • By hjj 21st Sep 16, 10:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hjj
    Just want to agreed with others here how dreadful the experience is with One Call Insurance. The way the online application works is nothing short of a Scam to extract " adminstration costs / fines" out of people trying to get the best priced policy. One Call Insurance should be closed down Buyer Beware !!!
    • Ritpoff
    • By Ritpoff 3rd Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ritpoff
    Onecall are a disgrace. There are so many people badly affected by their dishonesty, can we find out if there is something we can do together to claim against them? They rely on the fact that the time it takes and the hassle of getting everyone involved is going to protect them from being needing to be honest
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 25,434 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If they are that bad why did you use them?

Plenty of people here warning you not to use them.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Karim6345789
    • By Karim6345789 5th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Karim6345789
    Just cancelled a policy with them, the policy had rolled over after 12 months and was a month into the new policy when I had to cancel the policy due to selling the car and not requiring the policy. I was told I would have to pay £59.99 cancellation/admin fee. Rip off, totally excessive when on average it would be around £15 with other insurers if that,how can they justify that amount for probably 10 minutes work. Even though I cancelled the direct debit they apparently can still take the money from my account. I checked with the financial ombudsman and this is correct. Not going to bother making a case as too much hassle so bit of a learning curve, I normally only use big insurers but in this case just took the cheap quote due to it being a temporary 2nd car, never again.
    Urge everyone, stay away from this company, didn't bother looking at the reviews when I took the policy which is unlike me as was in a rush at the time, wish I now had.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 11th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Glad I spotted this, One Call just came up as the cheapest insurance on confused,

lucky escape!
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 6th Jan 17, 2:34 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    How come then on Reviewcentre and TrustPilot, with thousands of reviews, they come out as one of the best? Much better than Aviva, Churchill, Tesco etc.?

Is someone faking good reviews on an industrial scale here?
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Jan 17, 2:49 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    I suspect the good reviews are immediately after a cheap policy has been purchased.

The issues on this forum are from claims, cancellations and customer service.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 6th Jan 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    I suspect the good reviews are immediately after a cheap policy has been purchased.

The issues on this forum are from claims, cancellations and customer service.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    If that is so, it makes it very difficult to choose a car inurance company as all of them seem to have some really bad negative reviews. Onecall is a 4* + company on those sites I mentioned; higher than Liverpool Victoria which most people seem to like but which are much more expensive for me and with which I had a bad experience in the past.
    Last edited by EdGasket; 06-01-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    • Izzyisastaffie
    • By Izzyisastaffie 4th Feb 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Izzyisastaffie
    Cheers everyone, checked reviews before buying my new car insurance and read all of these. No surprise that I won't be using ONECALL!! But why do they need your licence anyway - never been asked by any other company?
    • carrie4u
    • By carrie4u 13th Feb 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carrie4u
    One call breakdown cover
    I have one call insurance which includes 'free' breakdown cover & homestart cover. I called them out as my car won't start & is on my drive. £20 call out fee, which I paid. A guy from a local garage arrived & put battery charger on it, although I told him the battery was 100% charged as we'd already checked it. He had no idea what is wrong with the car & said it could be towed to local garage for them to check what the problem is. Sounds okay so far, but as I live on a hill, the guy has had to go back to his garage & fetch a colleague as he can't winch the car up onto his recovery truck by himself! This is going to cost me an extra £30 which sounds like a real rip-off. Turns out this free breakdown cover is a lot less free than indicated!
    • Leesse
    • By Leesse 7th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leesse
    Avoid avoid avoid. I'm now sitting here all night and posting a bad review on every review page I can fine for one call. Scandalous hidden charges and when you phone to contest you get a £10 charge for them to listen to the previous phone call (which will only be reimbursed if I am correct) I've been a customer with these since 2011 due to cheap premiums (who, in all honesty wants to pay through the nose for car insurance??) Never again, I've took their charges on the chin time and time again but this time I've had enough and the one time I do phone to complain they are as helpful as a chocolate fireguard and want to charge me an additional £10 for the privilege (plus the extra £37 they want from me illegitimately !!) I'm standing my ground this time and the insurance ombudsman will hear from me. I will be jumping for joy when my renewal date arrives..... Pity I can't cancel it before then.... Due to more ridiculous cancellation charges !!!! Good riddance
    • Jessie91
    • By Jessie91 13th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jessie91
    They are charging £122.72 just to change my address or they are going to cancel my insurance
    • cinders59
    • By cinders59 19th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    cinders59
    I have just spent nearly 1 hrs on the phone with this company after taking out car insurance and wanting to cancel and they are charging £50 even though they have not taken any money out yet and the policy does not start until 28th March. absolute Scam and will report to ombundsman if I knew how

AVOID AVOID
    Last edited by cinders59; 19-03-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    Thanks to all who post comps
    ITV winners membersclub#2
    • cinders59
    • By cinders59 21st Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    cinders59
    UPDATE
    after complaining to them via every platform I could find and sent an email to complaints@onecalldirect.co.uk threatening to go to the ombudsman which I did and received an email from ombudsmen telling me they had been in touch with them, I received a call from Laura at One call insurance to tell me that they are going to refund me the cancelation charge, it will take 7-10 days, so we will see. But if it does go through great if not still have the ombudsmen and social platforms
    Thanks to all who post comps
    ITV winners membersclub#2
    • jojorose
    • By jojorose 3rd May 17, 12:25 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jojorose
    Thank you so much
    Had a very reasonable quote from them but thought id read reviews. Thank you so much for all your input. I wont be using them.
    For some people enough will never be reached.
    • lawram
    • By lawram 22nd May 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lawram
    Hi Cinders,
    How did you get on? Seems like we are going through the same issue currently
    • myslef
    • By myslef 22nd May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    myslef
    Either theya re trying to get more money from you either they put prices up. I have just bought a new car and I have to pay double then last year according what I found out they changed the prices. The best to read their policies and what packages are included.
    worldinteriors.co.uk
    • angeldaddy18
    • By angeldaddy18 6th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    angeldaddy18
    Another one (call) bites the dust?
    Sadly, I have learnt too late about this company. I did a MSE forum search today entitled “auto renewal car insurance” and lo and behold One Call popped up right near the top. Oh dear. So now it seems I am paying for not doing my research. In a nutshell, I was bitten by the dreaded auto renewal (by just 4 days) which was bad enough, and which is, on the face of it a legal practice. However, what I was not ready for was the near tripling of my premium and the issue of this company taking A LOT of money from my account before I noticed. So, my question if anyone can help, is:
    Can it be right that regardless of the circumstances and without a signed DD mandate or any kind of prior agreement from me they can dip into my bank account and take whatever they like and do this just because I didn’t notice? There must be a limit on what they can do surely?
    While it is true they did inform me they were changing my policy - and along with it a massive hike in premium I was too late in noticing and responding to cancel so now I am £350 out of pocket.
    I have since threatened the Financial Ombudsman and they have basically told me to get stuffed. I’ve got a funny feeling this is legalised robbery and I know I’m not alone. Any views on what I can do or am I actually stuffed?
    Martin needs to get on this and see if this is in fact a legal practice and at least get the industry to put limits on what companies can do to you in this way.
    Btw, yes, I did take out alternative insurance during this period. Any thoughts appreciated
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 32,379 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    Quentin
    It looks like they complied with the DD rules before taking the money.

You can't expect them to bow down because you threatened them with fos

To involve FOS you need to first try a formal complaint.

If they ignore it for eight weeks or you are not happy with the reply then you can go to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you.

See if it's cost effective to cancel and go elsewhere
    • angeldaddy18
    • By angeldaddy18 7th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    angeldaddy18
    Thanks Quentin for your thoughts...the fact that they may have complied with DD rules is all well and good but my beef is whether they can take whatever they want.... even if the DD nearly tripled! - surely there must be limits of what's fair and reasonable? I just feel aggrieved that as long as the DD rules are complied with this seems to give insurers carte blanche to take any amount from your account?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

832Posts Today

6,673Users online

Martin's Twitter