Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > "Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
"Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips
Views: 23,494
# 1
jmd4eva
Old 01-03-2010, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default "Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but....

Is it illegal to take things out of rubbish bins/skips?

Have found some good stuff and want to know if it is ok to sell on Ebay.... and i'm not talking rubbish/junk but good quality gear from a club that is closing down.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jmd4eva For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bigpound
Old 01-03-2010, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't know but everybody does it, it's almost like a past time in this country, like fish'n'chips. I would get it before somebody else does if I were you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigpound For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
soolin
Old 01-03-2010, 9:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I don't know if it is illegal or not but I noticed that when someone says 'they got it out of a skip' on Antiques roadshow no one tells them off. However, when they say they found it with a metal detector a printed warning comes up on screen telling people that all such finds need to be reported to the local Coroner.

When I cleared my fathers house I threw lots of very good things in to a skip desperately hoping someone would take them. In the end i even put the better things by the side of the skip with a notice saying 'please help yourself', and not one thing disappeared.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
9217niall
Old 01-03-2010, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Finders keepers.
I would assume it would be fine.
Once had 3 people in my mum's skip - all they took were the unwanted umbrellas!
The Following User Says Thank You to 9217niall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cyberbob
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Technically whoever owns the skip (or has hired it) owns the rubbish. So if you want something from one you need to ask permission otherwise it could however unlikely get classified as theft
# 6
geordie joe
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Been through this several times on the green and ethical board.

Taking stuff out of a skip is (mostly) not stealing.

It is all to do with the legal definition of theft.

Quote:
Theft Act 1978
Theft (Amendment) Act 1996
Basic definition of theft
1.--
  • (1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and 'thief' and 'steal' shall be construed accordingly.
How can you dishonestly appropriate property with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, when 'the other' has taken steps to permanently deprive themselves of it by throwing in a skip.

You could be guilty of theft, if the owner was not "throwing out" the contents of the skip.

Example: If a builder is renovating a house and puts all the copper pipe, radiators etc. in a separate skip with the intention of reusing or selling them for scrap. In this case it would have to be proved that you knew they were not rubbish to be thrown out.
# 7
babyshoes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Leaving aside the legality of removing items from a skip, you have to be careful about trespassing!
The Following User Says Thank You to babyshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Pound
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshoes View Post
Leaving aside the legality of removing items from a skip, you have to be careful about trespassing!
Trespassing isn't a criminal offense. The owner of the land could sue for damages but there wouldn't usually be any.
# 9
Misstress
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedAndLovingIt View Post
You go aroudn disgusting stinking rubbish dumps searching through disgisting mouldy diseased rubbish and rot in the hope of finding something that someone else through in the bib but that you could take home and sell to make afew pounds profit??!!

Seriously, that isnt moneysaving, its just weird and disgusting, not to mention unhygenic and dangerous!!
No, he/she looks in the skips that are outside peoples houses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misstress For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Sian the Green
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedAndLovingIt View Post
You go aroudn disgusting stinking rubbish dumps searching through disgisting mouldy diseased rubbish and rot in the hope of finding something that someone else through in the bib but that you could take home and sell to make afew pounds profit??!!

Seriously, that isnt moneysaving, its just weird and disgusting, not to mention unhygenic and dangerous!!
Have you read the original post? I don't think rubbish dumps were mentioned once, neither was "disgisting (sic)" rubbish. I think this is referring to a specific bin, which sounds like it is a non food bin. I took a set of chess pieces from a broken box on top of a bin today. I'll find a use for them, in a rubbish dump they will become waste
God is good, all the time
Do something that scares you every day
The Following User Says Thank You to Sian the Green For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Snakeeyes21
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM
PPR

As far as im concerned skip diving is fair game. After all your only making a use for things that would otherwise go to landfill, which can only be a good thing.

When I got my first flat I virtually kitted it out with things I scrounged.

Its amazing what people chuck out, most of which is perfectly fine, Ive had leather sofas. a wide screen telly, a cooker, fridges and freezers and countless other things.

Theres no shame in taking these things, the shame should be on the person who just chucks perfectly serviceable things in the skip when they could go to the many hundreds of charities that help the needy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snakeeyes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
JennyJewell
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it
My hubby loved it
Jen
The Following User Says Thank You to JennyJewell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jamesb1239
Old 02-03-2010, 9:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)

# 14
Pound
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb1239 View Post
It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)
It's probably because the police pressured them to not consult a lawyer and to plead guilty. The police are very good at that as each conviction helps them get up the career ladder and young people will be less aware of their rights and what the law is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pound For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
geordie joe
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb1239 View Post
The tip is not the same as a skip! Skips at the tip are usually full of recycling items that the council sell on.

Being charged and being found guilty are two different things.
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
*Chattie*
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

what annoys me more are the people who come along and dump there rubbish in the skip that I have paid for
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Chattie* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
xenon2020
Old 02-03-2010, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.
# 18
Pound
Old 02-03-2010, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2020 View Post
It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.
But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?

# 19
ButtonF1Fan
Old 02-03-2010, 1:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've done this!!! Saw a fridge frezer outside someones gate, so knocked and asked. Said if you can move it, have it! So i "walked it" 1/2 a mile home. I was unemployed and actually had no fridge at all. I had been buyng single pints of milk and keeping them in my washing machine as it was suprisingly cool due to the metal...... but wasnt keen on this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyJewell View Post
I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it
My hubby loved it
Jen
Mummy to two mischievious boys (D is 12 and J is 6)

I like F1, Blogging and Comping ;-)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ButtonF1Fan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
xenon2020
Old 02-03-2010, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound View Post
But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?
Technically it hasn't been abandoned. I'm sure that the contents of the skip become the property of the skip owner once the skip is taken away. It is then their legal responsibility to dispose of the contents properly.