Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jmd4eva
    • By jmd4eva 1st Mar 10, 9:33 PM
    • 199Posts
    • 378Thanks
    jmd4eva
    "Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:33 PM
    "Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips 1st Mar 10 at 9:33 PM
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this but....

Is it illegal to take things out of rubbish bins/skips?

Have found some good stuff and want to know if it is ok to sell on Ebay.... and i'm not talking rubbish/junk but good quality gear from a club that is closing down.
Page 1
  • bigpound
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:41 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:41 PM
    I don't know but everybody does it, it's almost like a past time in this country, like fish'n'chips. I would get it before somebody else does if I were you.

• soolin
    • By soolin 1st Mar 10, 9:47 PM
    • 56,943 Posts
    • 40,130 Thanks
    soolin
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:47 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:47 PM
    I don't know if it is illegal or not but I noticed that when someone says 'they got it out of a skip' on Antiques roadshow no one tells them off. However, when they say they found it with a metal detector a printed warning comes up on screen telling people that all such finds need to be reported to the local Coroner.

When I cleared my fathers house I threw lots of very good things in to a skip desperately hoping someone would take them. In the end i even put the better things by the side of the skip with a notice saying 'please help yourself', and not one thing disappeared.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • 9217niall
    • By 9217niall 1st Mar 10, 9:49 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    9217niall
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:49 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 9:49 PM
    Finders keepers.
    I would assume it would be fine.
    Once had 3 people in my mum's skip - all they took were the unwanted umbrellas!
  • cyberbob
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    Technically whoever owns the skip (or has hired it) owns the rubbish. So if you want something from one you need to ask permission otherwise it could however unlikely get classified as theft
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 1st Mar 10, 10:41 PM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:41 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:41 PM
    Been through this several times on the green and ethical board.

Taking stuff out of a skip is (mostly) not stealing.

It is all to do with the legal definition of theft.

Theft Act 1978
    Theft (Amendment) Act 1996
    Basic definition of theft
    1.--
    • (1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and 'thief' and 'steal' shall be construed accordingly.
    How can you dishonestly appropriate property with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, when 'the other' has taken steps to permanently deprive themselves of it by throwing in a skip.

You could be guilty of theft, if the owner was not "throwing out" the contents of the skip.

Example: If a builder is renovating a house and puts all the copper pipe, radiators etc. in a separate skip with the intention of reusing or selling them for scrap. In this case it would have to be proved that you knew they were not rubbish to be thrown out.
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 1st Mar 10, 10:52 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:52 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 10:52 PM
    Leaving aside the legality of removing items from a skip, you have to be careful about trespassing!
    • Pound
    • By Pound 1st Mar 10, 11:00 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Pound
    • 1st Mar 10, 11:00 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 11:00 PM
    Leaving aside the legality of removing items from a skip, you have to be careful about trespassing!
    Originally posted by babyshoes
    Trespassing isn't a criminal offense. The owner of the land could sue for damages but there wouldn't usually be any.
  • Misstress
    • 1st Mar 10, 11:01 PM
    • 1st Mar 10, 11:01 PM
    You go aroudn disgusting stinking rubbish dumps searching through disgisting mouldy diseased rubbish and rot in the hope of finding something that someone else through in the bib but that you could take home and sell to make afew pounds profit??!!

Seriously, that isnt moneysaving, its just weird and disgusting, not to mention unhygenic and dangerous!!
    Originally posted by UnemployedAndLovingIt
    No, he/she looks in the skips that are outside peoples houses.
  • Sian the Green
    You go aroudn disgusting stinking rubbish dumps searching through disgisting mouldy diseased rubbish and rot in the hope of finding something that someone else through in the bib but that you could take home and sell to make afew pounds profit??!!

Seriously, that isnt moneysaving, its just weird and disgusting, not to mention unhygenic and dangerous!!
    Originally posted by UnemployedAndLovingIt
    Have you read the original post? I don't think rubbish dumps were mentioned once, neither was "disgisting (sic)" rubbish. I think this is referring to a specific bin, which sounds like it is a non food bin. I took a set of chess pieces from a broken box on top of a bin today. I'll find a use for them, in a rubbish dump they will become waste
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • Snakeeyes21
    As far as im concerned skip diving is fair game. After all your only making a use for things that would otherwise go to landfill, which can only be a good thing.

When I got my first flat I virtually kitted it out with things I scrounged.

Its amazing what people chuck out, most of which is perfectly fine, Ive had leather sofas. a wide screen telly, a cooker, fridges and freezers and countless other things.

Theres no shame in taking these things, the shame should be on the person who just chucks perfectly serviceable things in the skip when they could go to the many hundreds of charities that help the needy.

• JennyJewell
    I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it
    My hubby loved it
    Jen
    • jamesb1239
    • By jamesb1239 2nd Mar 10, 9:43 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    jamesb1239
    It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)

• Pound
    • By Pound 2nd Mar 10, 10:41 AM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Pound
    It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)
    Originally posted by jamesb1239
    It's probably because the police pressured them to not consult a lawyer and to plead guilty. The police are very good at that as each conviction helps them get up the career ladder and young people will be less aware of their rights and what the law is.

• geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 2nd Mar 10, 12:15 PM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    Originally posted by jamesb1239
    The tip is not the same as a skip! Skips at the tip are usually full of recycling items that the council sell on.

Being charged and being found guilty are two different things.
    • *Chattie*
    • By *Chattie* 2nd Mar 10, 12:30 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    *Chattie*
    what annoys me more are the people who come along and dump there rubbish in the skip that I have paid for
  • xenon2020
    It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 2nd Mar 10, 1:42 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Pound
    It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.
    Originally posted by xenon2020
    But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?

• ButtonF1Fan
    • By ButtonF1Fan 2nd Mar 10, 1:59 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    ButtonF1Fan
    I've done this!!! Saw a fridge frezer outside someones gate, so knocked and asked. Said if you can move it, have it! So i "walked it" 1/2 a mile home. I was unemployed and actually had no fridge at all. I had been buyng single pints of milk and keeping them in my washing machine as it was suprisingly cool due to the metal...... but wasnt keen on this idea.

I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it
    My hubby loved it
    Jen
    Originally posted by JennyJewell
    Mummy to two mischievious boys (D is 13 and J is 7)

I like F1, Blogging and Comping ;-)
  • xenon2020
    But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?
    Originally posted by Pound
    Technically it hasn't been abandoned. I'm sure that the contents of the skip become the property of the skip owner once the skip is taken away. It is then their legal responsibility to dispose of the contents properly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,822Posts Today

5,508Users online

Martin's Twitter