Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 2nd Jul 09, 1:53 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,781 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    • 2nd Jul 09, 1:53 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 1:53 PM
    Have you tried water and vinegar? Normally shifts most stuff? I assume you can't scrub too hard with something abrasive like a microfibre cloth?
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • absolutebounder
    • 2nd Jul 09, 3:04 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 3:04 PM
    Try a little soda crystals dislolved in water or even lemon juice.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 2nd Jul 09, 3:22 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 2nd Jul 09, 3:22 PM
    • 2nd Jul 09, 3:22 PM
    WD40 is a brilliant degreaser or try lemon juice and bicarb mixed with a little water. Methylated spirits is good for cleaning muck off glass too.
    • squeezymeplease
    • By squeezymeplease 17th Feb 10, 7:46 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    squeezymeplease
    • 17th Feb 10, 7:46 PM
    Removing stains from glass
    • 17th Feb 10, 7:46 PM
    I wonder if any of you fantastic people could give me any tips here. My mum has 2 interior doors that are wood with glass panels on the top half. The glass is frosted in a design. She sprayed two of the panels with glass cleaner (windolene I would imagine) and went to wipe them, but the glass is just stained with the spray mark She hasn't touched them since!

Has anyone got any idea what we could use to remove the spray stains? And why this has happened? Also, what should we use to clean them from now on?

Thanks so much, am only new to this site so any tips greatly appreciated!!!
  • Mrs Thrify
    • 17th Feb 10, 9:58 PM
    • 17th Feb 10, 9:58 PM
    Hiya, when I had a window cleaner he used Fairy in the water.
    Now I am more MSE I clean them myself with vinegar and water.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • aliballi
    • 17th Feb 10, 11:17 PM
    • 17th Feb 10, 11:17 PM
    Believe it or not the best smear free way of cleaning glass & mirrors I've come across is cornflower in warm water. I use a level desert spoon of CF to a bowl of warm water, wash with one cloth, dry with a second & polish with a 3rd absorbent cotton cloth.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 18th Feb 10, 1:18 AM
    • 36,014 Posts
    • 464,163 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 18th Feb 10, 1:18 AM
    • 18th Feb 10, 1:18 AM
    white vinegar is what I use to clean ALL glass products!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 18th Feb 10, 6:17 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 18th Feb 10, 6:17 PM
    • 18th Feb 10, 6:17 PM
    I have used the cornflour method too and it is brilliant it grabs all the dirt and leaves windows and glass smear free
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 20th Feb 10, 12:10 AM
    • 9,330 Posts
    • 17,749 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Squeezy, hope you got the stain removed ok.

There is another thread about removing stains from frosted glass, so I have added yours to that one to keep all the suggestions together.

Thanks

Zippychick
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• squeezymeplease
    • By squeezymeplease 22nd Feb 10, 7:13 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    squeezymeplease
    Stains on frosted glass?
    Hi, I thought I posted this here a few days ago but I can't find my post, although I thought I had a reply. I have searched for the thread but it says no post found.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on what I could use to remove a spray stain from frosted interior glass doors. my mum sprayed window cleaner on the glass panels of her livingroom door but when she wiped it, it had ran down the glass but didn't wipe, it just left a mark in the shape of the spray! She is afraid to put anything else on incase it makes it worse. She is hoping to sell her house soon, and really can't afford new doors or new panels but it is noticeable as only 2 of the 4 panels are stained so we need to do something.

Sorry for rambling on, I am still getting used to this site and my posts always seem to disappear before I get to read any replies!!
  • durham_girl
    Was this thread it? It's about a table, but still frosted glass. It does have some replies

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1790319&highlight=
    30/7/10

24/1/14
    • squeezymeplease
    • By squeezymeplease 22nd Feb 10, 7:29 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    squeezymeplease
    Hi, thanks that wasn't the thread I started but my thread seems to have appeared further down that one! I was sure I started it as a new thread so I could find it again, I didn't think I had replied on someone else's thread, I haven't seen that thread before!

But thank you, that was the post I asked a few days ago. Thank you.
    • squeezymeplease
    • By squeezymeplease 22nd Feb 10, 7:32 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    squeezymeplease
    Oh ok I have been looking for my thread all day! Some nice person gave me a link to this and I found my thread in this one. I haven't got the stain removed as I came on today to see if anyone had advice for me and I couldn't find my post! I didn't think to look under someone else's thread, silly me.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 23rd Feb 10, 12:14 AM
    • 9,330 Posts
    • 17,749 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Squeezy

In Old style, there are a lot of things that don't change over time - such as removing stains/cooking certain recipes etc. We like to keep everything tidy and all the information together, so I put your thread with the old one - which is called a merge.

This means if someone has the same problem in future, they can search and find all the answers together. I posted to explain here

Don't worry - it can be a little confusing at first but you will get used to it in no time. If you are stuck just shout and no doubt someone will be able to help you

I am only a new board guide, so i will check to see if i did everything correctly.

Sorry for any confusion. x
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• squeezymeplease
    • By squeezymeplease 23rd Feb 10, 4:48 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    squeezymeplease
    Can you explain how to search then, as when I searched for my first thread nothing came up.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 23rd Feb 10, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Can you explain how to search then, as when I searched for my first thread nothing came up.
    Originally posted by squeezymeplease
    Hi squeezymeplease,

If you want to find your own posts click on your user name in any thread and it will give you an option to find more posts by squeezymeplease'.

For help with searching squeaky has written an excellent guide here:

I searched but couldn't find anything ( quick search help )

Pink
    • Srai13
    • By Srai13 10th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Srai13
    I think I have found something that works well with removing stubborn grease stains.

I had some doors installed with frosted glass. One day I noticed like a water mark on it, tried to wipe it off, but it wouldn't budge! Doors had only been hung less than a week and I was pretty annoyed. Anyway, took a look at this thread and pretty much tried everything expect for steam. By the way - do not use WD40 as somebody suggested as it made it worse! The marks I had on the door were darker in colour from the glass and pretty noticeable. Yesterday, went out and got everything suggested on here, white vinegar, magic eraser etc, none of them worked! Luckily I picked up a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend multi surface cleaner and sprayed it on today. Good thing is the mark has gone! Only issue I have is that the spray left white marks on the glass, which isn't so bad due to the glass being white. I did spray it unevenly, so will attempt to spray the whole glass again and hope for a good result!
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 11th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    stained frosted glass
    a painter has got zinsser stain blocker on my frosted glass bathroom window and nothing will remove it. It is the shellac one in the red tin. It has smeared all over the glass. has anybody got any ideas how to remove it. thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,812Posts Today

6,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin