Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > England > A good but cheap hairdresser in Bristol? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
A good but cheap hairdresser in Bristol?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,466
# 1
hanb
Old 16-02-2010, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question A good but cheap hairdresser in Bristol?

Hi all,

I am new to Bristol and in desperate need of a haircut. Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere reasonably priced and good? The last place i tried butchered it so Im a bit wary of trial and error now.

Somewhere on the Clifton side of the centre would be ideal but i'm not too bothered where it is.
Cheers

Han
# 2
easilydistracted
Old 16-02-2010, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default haircut

Hi I'm having to guess your gender. I'm female and go to Domini in Totterdown which is reasonably priced, not sure of prices for guys. Its on the bus route from Clifton. If you want really cheap then I can recommend Reflections Training Academy (supervised hairdressing students). Thats in the centre. Other than that I don't think the Clifton side of town or town at all is consistent with cheap haircuts I'm afraid though please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
# 3
geri1965
Old 16-02-2010, 9:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I go to Cuts & Curls in Lodge Causeway - it would be a bit of a trek for you though. If I have a wet cut only it's usually about a tenner.

I also recommend BHS in Broadmead, and I've had good cuts in Bauhaus (Bedminster) and Mark Justin on Gloucester Road. They are all around 30 for a cut and blow dry (although the latter two were free with Herbal Essences offer!)

What bus goes from Clifton to Totterdown?
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-02-2010, 2:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can give you some pointers in Sea Mills and Shirehampton if you fancy getting the train from Clifton Down?

Also during term time, the students on the Ashley Down campus of City of Bristol College do hairdressing. It's cheap and they are well supervised, a colleague goes there quite regularly. Only downside is that it takes a while.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 5
hanb
Old 17-02-2010, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for your replies. I've beenr ecommended the Gary Henry salon in Clifton village but the academy part - Apparently it's final year students who are well supervised and experienced and it'll cost about 15 for a cut and blow dry. Here's hoping it all goes well.. I'm female by the way )
# 6
geri1965
Old 17-02-2010, 5:30 PM

Wow, that is good - let us know how you get on!
# 7
easilydistracted
Old 17-02-2010, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Bus to Totterdown

The 54 goes from the top of Blackboy hill to Totterdown (Wells Rd)
The Following User Says Thank You to easilydistracted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
tiff
Old 17-02-2010, 8:39 PM

I might pay a visit to that salon, I pay 32 in Brislington.
A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
# 9
hanb
Old 18-02-2010, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Well the appointment is for after work tomorrow (they're open til 7pm which makes it hand as well as Sat and Sun) so i shall let you know how i get on. Oh the joy of moving to a new city.. everything such hard work!! Hehe. I'll find my way around eventually i'm sure. I hope.
# 10
Savvy_Sue
Old 18-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You have my sympathy! It took me MONTHS to find a supermarket I was happy with ... which was easy to get to ... and didn't do my head in!
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 11
hanb
Old 22-02-2010, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So i did it. I must admit i was nervous but they did a good job. I'm a bit concerned my fringe is too short but everyone has told me it looks nice so i'm coming round to it a bit more. Although i was told it would only cost 15 i actually paid 19.80 - i've no idea why (I didn't realise until aftrerwards and it was too late to ask). But that said I can't complain because at normal price it would have been more than 50.

They were really friendly, i got offered comlpimentary drinks and they weren't looking down on us "models" at all, I felt like I was being treated the same as anyone else in there which was nice. I would recommend it to anyone that asked but i probably wouldn't want to risk going if i didn't know what i wanted doing.. But that's just me. I am considering visiting them again for a colour though
The Following User Says Thank You to hanb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread